PDA

View Full Version : Hunter S. Thompson, dead @ 67

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-20-2005, 11:00 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7005168/

Suspected suicide. I was a fan of his work. I think i'll watch "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" to remember him. tough break.

2-1B
02-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas may very well be one of the worst films I have ever seen.
How does it compare to the book ?

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2005, 06:56 AM
Never read his work or saw Fear and Loathing or anything, but I did once see him on Conan O'Brien.

Those two were having a great time shooting and I think Hunter was doing some drinking, too. The guy came off as crazy to me after seeing that bit.

That's what came to mind after seeing this news. That man liked shooting things.

Kidhuman
02-21-2005, 08:55 AM
What a shock. May he R.I.P.

This guy was great. Fear and Loathing was awesome.

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Fear and Loathing is one of my favorite movies ever, and the book was twice as good. Total bummer.................

plasticfetish
02-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Damn. WTF can anyone say about this? I will say, if you haven't read any of Thompson's books, then you should...

Hell's Angels
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72

...and then all of the collections, essays and magazine articles, that I'll be honest, had a huge influence on me. Hunter Thompson, in so many ways, was and is one of the handful of creative people that inspired me the most. Like every other jackass out there today who tries to sit down and write an essay, review or whatever, when I start, I hear his voice.

The guy is so widely imitated (and in most cases badly) by today's generation of writers. Often times, I really doubt that they even know they're doing it -- it's just become so normal for people to try to do what he did.

Talk about breaking the mold...

Slicker
02-25-2005, 10:09 AM
I just saw on the news that he was talking with his wife on the phone right before he killed himself. He was talking to her set the receiver down and she could hear the gunshot that took his life. He had apparently been talking about suicide.:cry: