PDA

View Full Version : Giving up the hunt?!?!

sith_killer_99
02-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, here we go.

With the mass release of the 56 new figures for ROTS (plus 4 previews) we will see over the next 9 months or so the hunt will soon begin a new.

But this time I am considering giving up the hunt and waiting until they have all been released before buying a full set on Ebay or some other website. :eek:

What?

Why?

Well, it comes down to a couple of things. Time, money, resources and enthusiasim.

I spend way too much time hunting down figures, after work, weekends, holidays. I spend too much money on gas driving all over the place for my little "toy runs". This leaves little time to actually enjoy my current collection.

I also find that my enthusiasim for the ROTS line is the lowest it has been in a long time. The only other line that sparked less interest for me was the soggy line.

Resources, as a MOMC collector who is trying to limit my PT loose collection, I am disappointed that the new stuff will not fit the Star Case. Thus forcing me to store the newer stuff in a safe place until the new protective cases come out and I can afford to buy the 60 or so new cases I will need to hold everything.

Other stuff! I have recently gotten into collecting the Kotobukiya and Gentle Giants stuff. With that said a considerable amount of time and money have gone towards hunting down what I want from those lines.

There will still be hunts, I will continue to look for the Unleashed line and from time to time a few other really cool items will no doubt surface that I will feel I have to have.

This will also give me time to thin out my now bloated collection. Which will in turn allow me to raise more funds for other Star Wars stuff.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this? I know that I have seem a lot of "comple sets" for sale on Ebay long after lines have died. I saw it with EP1 Flashbacks, SOTE, EU, EP1, POTF2 CommTech, POTJ, Saga, OTC, etc.

Thoughts?

JetsAndHeels
02-21-2005, 02:15 PM
I did the same thing a year or so ago. I did not sell off a whole lot of stuff, but a few random figures here and there to thin things out. Since that time I have not bought many figures, but as of late I have gotten the sneak preview line, alot of the OTC figures on clearance, and a couple of the Clone Wars figures.
Now that the ROTS line is upon us, my excitement has come back to what it was. Not because this is a groundbreaking series of toys, but just because it means movie time once again..for the last time. I have great memories of MM at the EP1 and 2 toy releases, and I am ready to do it once again.
But I understand exactly where you are coming from. People are selling or trading off figures to make room and get rid of excess bulk.
You are absolutely not alone.

DarthQuack
02-21-2005, 02:44 PM
If you are worried about storing the new figures, just head on down to Wally World or Tar'jay and pick up a nice 50 gallon tub and stack them with plastic bags in-between them until they make a Star Case that can house them.

dindae
02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I am not giving up the hunt but im taking a different approach to hunting. Last year I started to preorder figure through Kebco (a really bad move but that is another thread). I found that I had been spinning my wheels too much. As soon as I thought a new wave would come out I would hit the stores everyday at lunch and on the way home. But when I had things preorder I no longer did that however even in my casual shopping I couldn't help browsing the toy ailse. I wound up finding everythong at retail. So even though I have dropped Kebco I think the amount of time I spend looking for toys will be cut dramatically especially since this is a movie year and product will be plentiful. I also only collect loose figs now so I don't have to find the pristine figure. I can buy the one mangled figure leftover and have a smile on my face.

ronhudy
02-21-2005, 03:20 PM
I pretty much turned the collecting over to my 10 year-old son now, and we're pretty selective about what we buy. We've got close to one of every carded figure from Episode 1 up to the 1st couple of OTC waves, and a nice assortment of Freeze Frames and Red/Green POTF2, but these days we pass on figures which just look crappy, like Rabe, which just looks awful. We stick to only nice sculpts/paint jobs, and a few army builders here and there, for opening up and making scenes.

I've sold some stuff here and there on Ebay, most of it at break even prices - not a lot of profit. I imagine we'll be buying some EP III figures at Wal-Mart, Target, TRU, etc. But we'll buy mostly main and new characters, figures that look good, (NO MORE R2-D2's!) etc. We're not going crazy or chasing stuff down. I found Dooku last time with no real effort...the short packs will turn up sooner or later.

Blue2th
02-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I have in the past, right up to the OTC line gotten every figure mint on mint card. I have recently discovered the joy of loose figures. Now I have to have at least one loose and one carded. It's opened up a whole new world of collecting for me. The OTC line had the best looking card of all, so I had to have all of them mint on mint card, because they are so cool looking. Looking at the new packaging for ROTC, which I do not like at all, I have decided to only get them for loose display which will mean there will be plenty of damaged cards that the scalpers will leave on the pegs. I have found also that you can get bargains on eBay for less than mint cards that you are going to open anyway. Loose figures also generally ship for less. I have finally let go of the fanatical mentality of mint on mint card. The stupid design of the ROTS cards did it for me. If Hasbro goes back to the OTC cards or something similar that might change. Till then it's loose for me. Every figure of course. So no, the hunt must go on and on and on till the end! Or till I run out of money. :crazed:

Fluke Skywalker
02-21-2005, 10:31 PM
When AOTC came out I was in a 'Must buy everything' mode. I plan to be a bit more cautious/selective this time. No more Orn Free Ta or Barriss Offee figures for me. Still, I think that any buyers remorse from TPM or AOTC directly relates to my feelings about the films. I think that ROTS is going to be great, so I think I'll be happy with what I buy three years from now.

As far as toy runs, I can feel your pain. It can be expensive and time consuming but for me it's the best part of this hobbie (Aside from the joy of the collection itself.) I have ordered online and it's just not the same as finding it in the store. I guess I just enjoy the thrill of the hunt. It's a sickness. :crazed:

Ji'dai
02-21-2005, 10:49 PM
I was toying with the idea of waiting for a year or so and just buying someone's collection on eBay too. Yes, I've noticed that collections tend to sell for less than their original value as well. Hasbro's price hike has also dampened my enthusiam for their product. I simply do not want to pay six or seven dollars for a 4" figure. I'm not sure why they think kids or parents will either.

I'm tired of walking into stores - now almost three years later - and still seeing tons of product leftover from the last movie. In early January I stopped in a Wal-Mart that had three carts full of AOTC figures in their clearance aisle. And to think I went out and bought those figures within the first week of release. Bah!

The only thing I don't like is not being able to examine the stuff before buying it like I can in stores. Card condition is not an priority for me but figure paint jobs are - which is one of reasons I avoid online shopping (the other being shipping).

trandoshan666
02-21-2005, 11:11 PM
I'm probably in the opposite situation. I took a two-year break in collecting not long after AOTC came out, and in my down time, came to the realization that "the hunt" is a huge source of my collecting enjoyment.
I've sort of been going overboard with my collecting lately (playing catch-up), but I don't care because I'm genuinely inspired again I'm really psyched to snatch up the ROTS line and savor the figures when I have them.

Joshkj
02-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Im really new to SW collecting. Ive been spoiling myself with halo collecting(the woorst of it was going to gamestop during the week and pick up a case of exclusives lol, i picked up my series 2 today yay). Anyways, alot of you are 'o ya great another r2 or thats crappy. Well i dont have any figures exept for the SP ones, so i get to enjoy it the first and the last time,imo.

Jayspawn
02-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Seems to me that Sith Killer 99 is starting down the road I once did. A time ago -chasing action figures started to wear on me (I still liked them) but tracking them down came to be more of a chore. I officially consider myself a High-End Collector now. I buy action figures on very rare occasions -but my attention and collecting passion go more towards expensive, rare and high-end items. Rather than buy 20 new action figures -I'd rather buy a new mini-bust or put that time and $ towards an expensive replica. Now rather than go out hunting -they come right to my door.

X13VADER
02-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Ive Been Collecting Since 78' First As A Kid Then As An Older Kid. Its Very Much The Thrill Of The Hunt. Once I Find What I Need I'm On To The Next One.i Collect Them For Me And Not For What They Might Be Worth.i Am An Army Builder Everytime I Find A Stormtrooper I Get Very Excited Even If It The 50th One.i Do Enjoy What I Have But Most Of It Is Put Away So The Hunt Is Still On.

sith_killer_99
02-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Saga did this to me.

I remember after the initial buzz of MM I looked at the figures and started say WTF?!?! Stupid gimmicks, cheap materials and ugly cards. I know that collecting is supposed to be all about the figures, but as a mostly MOMC collector I do collect the cards as well. I have stuff from Italy, Canada, Europe, Germany, Asia, Mexico and on and on.

When Saga hit it was the first time I said, "I don't like the non-US cards". So I stuck to just collecting MOMC Saga. But the line was lackluster to say the least. It just felt like I was going through the motions, collecting just to be sure I had one of each. Sometimes there was a figure or two that I really wanted, like Ephant Mon, but for the most part I felt the line was uninspired. It got better towards the end, with figures like TIE Pilot, Admiral Ozzel, Bossk and IG-88, but most of the line just didn't do much for me. There was a point early on when I seriously considered getting rid of all my Saga figures!

Then came OTC, and I was inspired again! Sure most of the figures were re-hashed, re-painted older figs, but the line really was good. The Canadian cards inspired me to collect the entire line on the cool "starburst" cards. Now I have it all, except the Sandcrawler...that's next. I mean I went all out, I even bought the Costco and Sam's Club exclusive sets off Ebay!

Then came the "Preview" figures. Akward new packaging, the return of silly gimmicks and most likely the return of substandard plastics. :rolleyes:

I just don't think I will like this line as much as the others.

Reefer Shark
02-22-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm with ya sith_killer. I've lost a lot of my interest in the 3 3/4" line over the last few years too. Now I just buy whatever figures really strike me when I see 'em.

Of course, I still have to have one of every Vader MOMC, and I really dig the animated line, but I've definitely dropped my completist mentality with the regular Hasbro line. Although I am a completist with the Unleashed line, it's the best Hasbro has to offer IMO.

Plus, like you, I also have discovered the joy of Gentle Giant, and Kotobukiya. I would much rather have one nice Koto statue than 15 regular figures.

Dark Marble
02-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Saga also beat me out of collecting for a while. I am excited this time around because this is the last time this will happpen. Star Wars after this year will be a new case here and a new vehicle there until it is gone. I am very Happy and kind of sad about that, but I am ready to be done.

After this year I have a feeling I will become very picky about what I buy, and Hasbro will have to work very hard to keep my interest. It is hard to believe that eventally most of the new figures will be warming pegs by August and a year from now a new Grevious will not be a big deal.

Slicker
02-22-2005, 02:58 PM
I myself considered giving up on my collection because I thought it would be to tough to keep it going being so far from home but thanks to my brother for helping me out I'm still going strong and adding to my collection day by day. The Saga line was actually on of my favorites because of the diversity of characters that it brought us (i.e. Tanus Spijek, J'Quille, Rappertunie, etc.) although the packaging was subpar for carded collectors in terms of looks but what can you do. You can't win 'em all.

Old Fossil
02-23-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't know what to do about the ROTS line.

I've passed on the Preview figures three times. Just not interested enough, and that's saying a lot when it comes to an astromech droid I don't already have. But like many others have said, I too don't care for the new packaging. OTC and VOTC spoiled me, I guess. I really loved those two lines. OTC is the only line I bought vehicles to keep in the package!

Some of the coming ROTS figures look cool -- the Palpatines, the Clones, even Anakin and Obi-Wan. But after the wonderful stuff we got with the late Saga (gold cards), OTC, and VOTC, the ROTS is a bit anticlimactic. Plus, I have no space to put stuff anymore -- and that's after having bought a house with a basement and double the square footage of our previous home!

I don't know, I doubt I sit this one out, as I have contemplated. I'll at least get the Unleashed, and a few of the figures to open. But with my Clone Wars Command Gunship in storage, along with most of my other stuff, I can't see just buying more things to put away in a dark closet to gather dust.

Vortex
02-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Yup, the thrill of the chase and pre-hunt rituals and finger crossing is done for me. I have 3 ships on order from Amazon for 19.99 a pop, which for me is fine. I don't even have enough time to run to Target to buy basic items anymore, so it saves me time and effort. And I've told all my comic show toy guys to save me one of each new fig and they are doing the leg work for me. I pay a buck or two more, but it save me gas money and time and I'm fine with that.

I've been chasing since 95 and 10 years is just too *#$%ing long to keep up this hobby and devote weekends or hours of days putzing around town hoping for a score. Life has changed quite a bit since I started this hobby back in college and now with a wedding on the near horizon, I need to change up the priorities and cash flow.

I missed a few of the OTC repacks and I'm ok with that, and I let some of the re-pack ships slip too, and I'm fine with that. I'm also doing a massive downsizing and purging as we speak. I have tubs and tubs full of carded figures in my basement from 95 to present...I don't even want to guess at the number of tubs, but I'm at the point where I need the space and life is changing, so all the carded figs are finding their way to ebay or various comic show toy venders in the area.

I've lost my passion for Star Wars to a degree. I used to read all the books when they 1st hit the bookshops and now, there's a pile of at least 6 sitting on the floor that I haven't even touched since I bought them and I know I'm missing a few novels. I don't think I've watched any of the DVD's in at least a year or better. I just don't feel the fire anymore. I do plan on getting at least one of all the new figs and just be content I have one of each fig and maybe if I have kids I'll share the wealth, or if I buy/build a new home I'll make a display case or something, but I'm content to leave the loose figs in the bins and walk away when the line finally ends...hopefully in 06.

Its been a fun ride, but long ride and I blew a lot of $ on this hobby and if I had to do it all over again...I honestly don't think I would. I think chasing and the cruddy figs have soured my love for star wars.

DarthQuack
02-23-2005, 07:48 PM
We should change this thread title to a Funeral for collectors, it's very depressing hearing some of these stories....:cry:

Sith Lord 0498
02-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I've been chasing since 95 and 10 years is just too *#$%ing long to keep up this hobby and devote weekends or hours of days putzing around town hoping for a score. Life has changed quite a bit since I started this hobby back in college and now with a wedding on the near horizon, I need to change up the priorities and cash flow.

Its been a fun ride, but long ride and I blew a lot of $ on this hobby and if I had to do it all over again...I honestly don't think I would. I think chasing and the cruddy figs have soured my love for star wars.

I know where you're coming from. I've been collecting since 95-96 as well, and it has been a tremendous stress since 2002 (mostly due to poor distribution).

I truly feel that 2005 will be my last great push with the Hasbro line. After this year, I can't see there being much interest in the toys on Hasbro's end, and they'll scale back production. If they release some really cool stuff, yeah I'll buy it. But ROTS will be the end of the major toy hunt for me.

As for 2006 onward, I think I'll be turning toward higher-end items. I've already amassed four of the MR mini-sabers with two more on pre-order, and I just bought my second GG bust today (C-3PO) along with a dozen Bust-Ups. That is where my collecting will head, and even that may only go for another year or two before I'm content with what I've got.

I started younger than you did. I was an eighth grader when I began. Now I'm a college graduate of nearly two years and married for half a year already. Priorities are changing for me too...although it's hard to let go when it's been such a major part of who you are. At least I'll have something significant to show for all of it.

Turbowars
02-23-2005, 08:31 PM
I completely understand where all of you are coming from. The only ROTS figures that get me going are the Clones and droids. I will have to see how MMM goes. Last film I didn't go crazy and only bought what I liked, but after I found myself getting them all. Same thing happened with EP1. The big problem I see is the card and bubble. Saga was OK, but EP1 succked big time and that's what ROTS looks like. EP1 and ROTS will stick out like a sore thumb. I barley have any ep1 cards displayed and it's really sad. Hasbro should have learned to stay away from RED!

kool-aid killer
02-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Im still a sucker for the hunt, but ive learned to become smarter in it. By that i mean i refuse to hit up a store consecutive days in a row, nothing will dry up the excitement more than leaving empty handed for days on end. That and i hitting mulitple stores at a time, i only go to ones that im close to wherever i should be. I dont really see gas prices as a reason why i should restrict my hunting, youre going to have to drive around at some point. Im actually excited, but im not going to go overboard.

Joshkj
02-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I completely understand where all of you are coming from. The only ROTS figures that get me going are the Clones and droids. I will have to see how MMM goes. Last film I didn't go crazy and only bought what I liked, but after I found myself getting them all. Same thing happened with EP1. The big problem I see is the card and bubble. Saga was OK, but EP1 succked big time and that's what ROTS looks like. EP1 and ROTS will stick out like a sore thumb. I barley have any ep1 cards displayed and it's really sad. Hasbro should have learned to stay away from RED!

I actually really like the ROTS cards, yes the EP1 ones sucked, but these are alot different than anything else ive seen and i think they are better.:classic:

sith_killer_99
03-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Well, I just wanted to re-visit this thread, given the new circumstances around the big MM "weekend".

I have decided to spend a good deal of money on April 2nd. Mostly because of all the exclusives at various stores.

Target, TRU and Wal-Mart will all have something unique to offer over the weekend and I hope to get all the exclusives.

Is this some ploy to get us to spend our hard earned dollars on toys this April, as opposed to waiting on these doomed peg warmers and gulping them up cheap at clearance in a few months?

You bet!

Will it work?

You bet!

However, there is more to it. This new mass release will be unique. This is the first time we have ever seen soo many exclusives offered at soo many different stores all at once. Which means that many of us will most likely be scouring several stores Friday night and Saturday possibly even Sunday.

Ji'dai
03-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Anger. Fear. Exclusives. The Dark Side are they!

Exclusives tend to have the opposite effect on my collecting habits. I find they discourage rather than motivate me in hunting them down. With Hasbro's price increase, high gas prices, the exclusive figures, and the fact that movie figures are often still sitting on the pegs gathering dust years later I'm sticking with my plan of sitting on the sidelines until the sales begin.

I'll probably hit Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and TRU at mid-morning on April 2 just to see the new stuff and maybe sneak a picture or two of the displays. But I'll probably only be buying a villain or two and some of the army builders. I doubt I'll spend enough to get the exclusives at TRU or Wal-Mart. Target is out of picture since the nearest store is a good hour's drive away.

Old Fossil
03-26-2005, 01:21 PM
I will NOT be spending much money on April 2nd, only about $100-150. I only plan on getting a few gems from the upcoming line of basic figures, the ARC fighter, and Unleashed Obi-Wan and Anakin. No 12", no micro-vehicles, no talking Yodas or Vader masks or lightsabers.

The only retailer I plan to visit that day is Wal-Mart. They will have better quantities of goods available, I think, that any of the other toy sellers. What I miss, I'll get later online, probably through omgcnf.com.

As far as the exclusives, I'm not interested. Lava Vader? Holo Yoda? Hmpf. Neat, but not enough for me to go out of my way for. The supposed WM Early Bird certificate may interest me, depending upon the figures offered.

kool-aid killer
03-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Im still a fan of the hunt, and this time im taking a new weapon, the credit card! I usually just stay with cash, but with so many things coming out im worried that i will miss out on some things that may be hard to acquire so im taking the extra backing of the card just so that i dont have to worry about that. But i dont plan on going wild, ive still got a tentative budget planned for the 2nd. Plus i dont doubt there will be some pegwarmers, so they i can let them stay for pick up on a future trip to the store.

Scackmgack
03-26-2005, 03:42 PM
The best thing about shopping with the credit card is that you can send in a payment the very same day if you bank electronically. I was going to shop on the 2nd with my bank card, but said what the heck, I'll use the credit card in case I have need to go over my budget a little bit - otherwise, I'll just pay it off the same day, no interest accrues, no worries.

Jaina Solo
04-01-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm not giving up- I'm really excited about the new figures. But I can see the temptation to give up. The Saga figures really depressed me, because so many of them just sucked. I bought a lot of Saga figures, and regretted buying most of them when I opened them up.

I liked a lot of the OTC figures, but Saga sold so badly around here that we either didn't get many waves of the OTC figs, or the scalpers grabbed all the cool stuff and just left the usual junk hanging on the pegs- Rabe, junk like that. So it's been pretty slim pickings around here, almost enough to make me long for the days of AOTC peg-warmers like our old friend Captain Typho. And I didn't even buy Captain Typho, so that gives you some idea.