PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Hasbro's Attacktix and Force Battlers?

JediTricks
02-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Hasbro isn't just doing standard action figures for the release of Ep III: ROTS, they've also added 2 new lines to their repertoire. If you haven't seen Hasbro's Attacktix or Force Battlers figures yet, here's a look at what was on-hand at Toy Fair:

Star Wars Force Battlers (http://67.15.129.26/ssg/showgallery.php?cat=512)

(Approximate Retail Price: $9.99, Recommended Age: 4 & up)

With an all new 7 scale for the Star Wars line, FORCE BATTLERS are ready for action! Armed with cool galactic gear and awesome weapons, these powerful heroes and dark villains battle across the galaxy. These bigger figures are perfect for small hands to do battle with. Characters such as Obi-Wan kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and Chewbacca take on the dark side against Darth Vader in this new line.

Star Wars Attacktix Battle Figure Game (http://67.15.129.26/ssg/showgallery.php?cat=508)
(Approximate Retail Price: $5.99 - $9.99, Recommended Age: 6 & up)

Star Wars ATTACKTIX is the revolutionary new battle figure game where kids compete with one simple goal: to be the last one standing! Only ATTACKTIX combines the crash-and-bash fun of action figures with the competition, strategy and collectability of trading card games. ATTACKTIX is easy to learn, but difficult to master. With no game board or dice, ATTACKTIX can be played anywhere, anytime. Each figure stands on a patented game base that features all of the game play information needed. The innovative movement system enables kids to move their figures in numerous combinations providing for enhanced strategy and a new game each time they play. Also, multiple strategy levels are built in to vary play even further.

Clearly, this is not the same old-same old, Hasbro seems to have something very different in mind with these 2 lines, a whole new take on Star Wars toys. If you didn't notice by the coverage, Hasbro has a lot of Attacktix products planned already. But what do Star Wars collectors think of these vastly different lines? Will they flock to them or stay away? Will these unique takes on Star Wars toys entice the kid market in a whole new way, or will these 2 lines quickly head to the bargain bin?

Vote now and post your opinion!

Slicker
02-22-2005, 03:01 PM
These lines both look terrible. Galactic Heroes these are not.

Joshkj
02-22-2005, 03:37 PM
way too kidish and a bad atempt to make it into a wierd "Yougio" or "Pokemon" collector thing.

Bacta Beast
02-22-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't understand why they thought the Force Battlers were a good idea when they're already doing the "Jedi Powers" line. I'd like to see that line keep going and add more articulation. The only other thing I would be interested in would be a few main characters in scale with Marvel Legends maybe.

Tycho
02-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I'll be buying the Force Battlers. I like the idea of large figures representing main characters that:

-are poseable and not really expensive or collectible

-don't have clothing or accessories that can be lost, rip, or break (like 12" or 3 3/4"

-are sort of cute and very TOY orientated - that is you aren't inspired to make some realistic diorama because they look realistic, and then never move them again once the scene looks good.

- with the immediate above point, you can keep them in a shoe box and pull them out when you want to fiddle with them

- with the point above, it should be a small collection, versus trying to find a figure to mess with out of 700 to choose from

-they are toys and you feel like you're buying toys again, instead of art or whatever.

- the 3 3/4" and 12" and perhaps Unleashed now feel like obligatory collections - you started them, and now you need every single offering from them. With JediForce and Force-Battlers, I doubt you care and you can just pick up the ones you like, knowing these are going to be at garage sales everywhere as little kids outgrow them.

Kidhuman
02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
I have flushed watse that looked better.

Joshkj
02-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I'll be buying the Force Battlers. I like the idea of large figures representing main characters that:

-are poseable and not really expensive or collectible

-don't have clothing or accessories that can be lost, rip, or break (like 12" or 3 3/4"

-are sort of cute and very TOY orientated - that is you aren't inspired to make some realistic diorama because they look realistic, and then never move them again once the scene looks good.

- with the immediate above point, you can keep them in a shoe box and pull them out when you want to fiddle with them

- with the point above, it should be a small collection, versus trying to find a figure to mess with out of 700 to choose from

-they are toys and you feel like you're buying toys again, instead of art or whatever.

- the 3 3/4" and 12" and perhaps Unleashed now feel like obligatory collections - you started them, and now you need every single offering from them. With JediForce and Force-Battlers, I doubt you care and you can just pick up the ones you like, knowing these are going to be at garage sales everywhere as little kids outgrow them.

Now that you say this im feelinng diferently. Especialy the parts about buying toys again and not feeliing the need to get each one. A small example was when yesterday i went to go pick up my series 2 halo2 figs, and didnt feel that joy of having something cool and new, but really just a relief that i actually got them, i think i will get these then look back and see how much more fun i actually have with these, arent figures supposed to be fun anyways?:ermm:

mastermatt24
02-22-2005, 11:58 PM
I thought a few of these look ok, not great, just ok. I liked the clone walker but those missle things just ruin it. Same with the clones.. I know for sure I wont buy the force battlers and I probably wont buy any of the attacktix either.

Astromech
02-23-2005, 04:28 AM
Force Battlers:
The Vader in the Force Battlers is kind of cool with the shoulder pads and the sheild so I will pick that one up, but the other characters are too distorted and really don't resemble the movie characters. I don't care for the overly distorted characters much at all as a rule. I was cool with GHs since they were cute, though not poseable, but there is already a failed line of distorted characters out called Jedi Force (choking the shelves of every store I go into) not to mention the very low selling Playskool line.

Attacktix:
One word: LAME-O. What the heck is with the pinched heads? They should have stopped tweaking at POTF with the buffed up versions. That was bad enough. I think the AFA needs to institute random steriod tests. :-)

I understand that Hasbro has to keep trying to come up with a way to overmarket this fantastic series of films, but can't SOMEBODY give them a good idea? Star Wars is not Marvel. It's not anime. It's not DC. It's Star Wars!!!

I was cool with the Clone Wars animated figures because they were figures designed directly from something I dug. These two lines are different.

garbognar
02-23-2005, 05:43 AM
I think I will have to get the Force Battler of Vader, but I don't really like any of the others. I saw a list somewhere that said that a Han and Luke were going to come out eventually and those might be cool.

I will withhold judgement on the attaktix until I see what the game is like. If, like heroclix, the figures suck and the game is fun, I might still buy them. This seems like a more kid friendly version of the miniatures game. I don't like the "collectible" part, as I have always had really bad luck with blind packaged things.

I hope that if these lines fail that it doesn't hurt the standard line. My local K-Mart(all I have is one HORRIBLE K- Mart in my town) Will have these things sitting on the shelves for years if they don't sell, taking space that could be used for new figs.

I, personally, think that these lines might be kind of fun initially, but will probably hurt the line and collectors in the long run.

dindae
02-23-2005, 09:24 AM
These are kids lines and I will leave them for the kids. Unlike the Galactic Heroes which are just too damn cute, these just look deformed and awkward. Obviously Hasbro is trying to cash in but this will make 7 lines of figures and the market isn't going to support it. I'm sure it will last through the movie after that they will go away.

Tycho
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
I just don't want to take time out to learn to play Attactix. I'm busy enough as it is. I think the line is aimed at kids that play these games and are not collecting 3 3/4" or 12" anyway. They are gamers and live for that sort of thing. Now there's SW for them. The other stuff is for kids, but some of us (me) like that sort of thing.

Lines:

3 3/4" for variety, vehicles, beasts, and (cough) playsets
12" for traditional 'action doll' and supposedly great accessories, handcrafted clothes
Unleashed - since neither of the other 2 lines poses and displays really well with effects
Galactic Heroes - for kids under 4, nothing to lose or swallow, darn cute, cheap
JediForce - like Mattel's(?) Rescue Rangers, rescues Hasbro from loss of that market
Force Battlers - for anime fans / kids that like WWF toys, so Hasbro gets that market
Expanded Universe (inc CW animated, CW, EU, SOTE) for refined fans of alternatives
MicroMachines/Action Fleet, small price, vehicle chances at being scale
Lego (not Hasbro) but for builders and customizers, and those sorts of interests

It makes sense that it's all out there....

Everything: - for people that want to drive themselves crazy as well as dirt poor while in the process. I don't recommend that, but that's just me.

sith_killer_99
02-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I will be passing on these. I may buy one or two for my daughter if she really wants them.

Darth Grifter
02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
i think that if i had kids i would buy these, but at the same time, they do look awkward and wierd...what's with chewie's hand on the attacktix? what's with vader's shield??? does he really need one...??? lame...

Darth Mina
02-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Wow they are horribleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :dead:
Hellsbro should give us more of those cute and adorable galctic heroes :classic: and stop making this kind of crap

kool-aid killer
02-24-2005, 10:11 AM
I voted "Both lines look bad" because they really dont interest me. They seem to kiddie orientated (which they are) for my liking. Having said that, i do think my nephew might enjoy these. Hes starting to become a Star Geek too, and these might be right down his alley. If he likes them, i might pick him up a couple, it would be better than giving him a Hasbro figure that he would lose pieces of within a short amount of time.

sicqnus
02-24-2005, 05:27 PM
They are ugly, really. This is just an adult POW and I hate super-deformed items... The Japanese have made plenty of them 5 years ago and they stopped because they are old fashioned nowadays (the SD's). But it doesn't means the will not do well. Maybe this will be a hit and a great line from a children point of view.

I really miss the Action Fleet line.

CooLJoE
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
IMO kids will either be really young and get the Galactic Heroes line or will be older and get the regular 3 1/4" line. Thats how I was when I was a kid, and I don't see that changing.

Force Battlers looks stupid. Bigger isn't always bad, but these ones are all distorted and ruin the idea for me. GH was ok being distorted because it was in a cute way and was for kids.

Attactix was a good idea, but the idea of having action parts and a distorted looked ruined them. Plus they should have left them under the "clix" name series (alongside heroclix, mechclix, etc). The Clix line is very popular among those that like the dice roll playing games, but also want figures with a more simpler rule set. I know how they are because I have Heroclix and Mechclix and use them once in awhile with my best friend. The detail on the figures (for Heroclix) may not be perfect, but its more true to the comics than the attactix are true to the movies. Had they just been put them under the Clix name (aka, under Wizards of the Coast) and had a more "true to the movies" look, they would be a hit among the dice rolle playing crowed.

Turbowars
02-25-2005, 11:42 PM
I have flushed watse that looked better.Really? You must really examine it before the flush. HeHe:)

Are kids so different these day that a standard action figure wont do it anymore? As a kid I loved things to look like the real thing, not have a elephantiasis limb or 2.:rolleyes:

You all can see that the line would fail if it was up to us. The poll says it all.