PDA

View Full Version : April 2nd...isn't that a Saturday?

Billiam86
02-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Sorry if this has been adressed...but isn't April 2nd a Saturday? I thought the toys always come out on a Tuesday? Can somebody shed some light on this? Is the April 2nd date accurate?

Slicker
02-22-2005, 04:57 PM
April 2nd is indeed the date. It's a Friday night going into Saturday which is good 'cuz any other day of the week I would've been screwed.

sith_killer_99
02-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah, last time around I had to put in for leave.

Reefer Shark
02-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Yeah.. the whole "Tuesday night" thing was one of the reasons I didn't go to MM for AOTC.

I might actually go for ROTS though. Not because I'm worried about finding any figures (I really only want a few anyway), but just for kicks. It is probably the last time we'll see a MM event after all.

Turbowars
02-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah I going for the great people that will be there.;)

DarthQuack
02-22-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm really looking forward to this, almost a month away....

JetsAndHeels
02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
April 2nd is indeed the date. It's a Friday night going into Saturday which is good 'cuz any other day of the week I would've been screwed.

My thoughts exactly...and besides, I can't think of a better way to start off a weekend.
It's going to be alot of fun.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-22-2005, 07:09 PM
I doubt I'll go to MM, but as it's a Saturday, I'll go as soon as WM opens. Then I have all day to enjoy my new toys. :D

Kidhuman
02-22-2005, 08:05 PM
|I willbe going, already recruited a fellow collector from work to tag along. Been to the 1st 2, cant miss this one.

Fluke Skywalker
02-22-2005, 08:24 PM
The Saturday night thing is a blessing and a curse.

Blessing: Won't have to walk into work bleary eyed.

Curse: Will have to walk into Walmart at midnight and wade through a throng of rabid SW fans, drug addled teenagers and the creepy guy who just has to go and buy a lawn mower at 12 o'clock at night.

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Well, I'm going to TRU for midnight madness, so hopefully there'll be no creepy guys buying lawnmowers at midnight. :D

Finally Hasbro decided to release them on a Friday night (Saturday morning, technically).What were they thinking releasing them on weekdays for the last two MMs?

Joshkj
02-22-2005, 10:01 PM
The Saturday night thing is a blessing and a curse.

Blessing: Won't have to walk into work bleary eyed.

Curse: Will have to walk into Walmart at midnight and wade through a throng of rabid SW fans, drug addled teenagers and the creepy guy who just has to go and buy a lawn mower at 12 o'clock at night.

Hey im not that creepy lol

Im going to my first and last MM, (hopefully hasbro doesnt realeas anymore crap but who knows??:frus: ), and im ready to fight to the death with plastic lightsabers HAHAHAHAHAHAH:classic: :crazed:

And may the :beard: be with you.

Warryyr
02-23-2005, 07:58 AM
I agree with Reefer Shark, I'm going to MM just for fun and to meet other local Star Wars fans. But, even though the movie itself looks to be one of the best, a lot of the new figures we are seeing just aren't on my must have list. I prefer aliens, droids and other odd characters more than the "human" characters. I mean how many Anakins and Obi's do I need (not many).

mabudonicus
02-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I really don't think we'll have a MM here, everything but the bars in this town closes at 9 no matter what the deal might be :beard:

So I guess at least I don't have to worry about deciding or anything :beard:

DarthQuack
02-23-2005, 09:27 AM
I have a few Wal-Mart's to choose from but I guess I'll go to the nicer one :)

dindae
02-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Since it will be Friday night I will definately be going. I've been every year. the first one was mad choas, people running, figures flying, hordes of people and I had to go to another store to pick up everything. AOTC was 10 people still couldn't help the mad rush when they unleashed us. But after the first ten minutes it was calm and people were helping others. This time if the stores have it I expect even less to show up. Since im not looking for variations like last time so it will be easy. I'm really excited about it and hoping for a easy score.

2-1B
02-23-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm not too thrilled by the Saturday release, it felt like much more of an "event" having it during the week and I rather enjoyed that most of the younger crowd was home and in bed (that is, not in my way ;) ).

jedi master sal
02-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm not too thrilled by the Saturday release, it felt like much more of an "event" having it during the week and I rather enjoyed that most of the younger crowd was home and in bed (that is, not in my way ;) ).

Couldn't agree with you more.

Less kids/parents, casual fans to deal with.

IMHO, Midnight Madness should be a collector friendly event. We are the ones who support this line in the off years. I can stay up that late and shop during a weeknight if it means getting what I want and not dealing with the masses.

I talked with one of my local TRU's manager last night about MM. He told me that while the company had not made a final decision about it, that any and ALL input was more than welcome. He feels that teh company will do it, but not every store. It will become a matter of which stores have traditionally had high sales, those in high traffic neighborhoods and also if the store has the manpower committed to volunteering for that shift.

I suggested to him to have the stock people come in early (as of now this particular store has it's stock people start at 4am). Doind this would only extend their shift one night, but after the initial first hour or two of mayhem, they can clean up the aisles then get to stocking shelves. In fact they can in a sense be rewarded for working this shift by being able to leave earlier than their normal shift.

He seemd VERY receptive to that.

I also told him in the interest of fairness to the average collector, that limits on any one character be placed at no more than three. This would keep the riff-raff scalpers at bay, knowing that they'd have to bring in more scum such as themselves to contend with the rest of us collectors. And I'm an army builder so YES this would affect me too, but at least the majority of true fans/collectors would get the figs they want instead of the slim picking left by some.

He even thought that was a good idea. He was well aware of what scalpers are. He even said that while initially they are good for sales in a first -run kind of thing like this, it backfires. Point being that if scalpers can't move product within the first couple weeks/months, they take them back to stores. This adds to stock and does not enabel a store to order new stuff. Ultimately hurting whichever toy line.

Whew, sorry, got off the beaten path there for a moment.

Anyway, I'll be at MM, somewhere. Just hoping it's TRU.

We NEED them around. If for anything than to keep Wal*Mart and Target honest. can you imagine if the only true Toy store went out of business? Wal*Mart and/or Target would be your only destination for new toys. With the growing anti-Wal*Mart sentiment growing in the world, it would not bode well for we SW collectors. (Sorry got off on another tangent there)

-Sal

tagmac
02-24-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure where the Tuesday night came from...the last two MM's were on Sunday nights.

As much as it should be a night for collectors, I think we all know the scalpers are gonna be out in force, and figures like the Clone Trooper, Chewie, Tarfful, and Palpy are gonna disappear as fast as Maul, Yoda, and Dooku did the last two times. Just keeping my fingers crossed that this one time I can land all of the figures I want (only one of each) in one shot.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure where the Tuesday night came from...the last two MM's were on Sunday nights.

As much as it should be a night for collectors, I think we all know the scalpers are gonna be out in force, and figures like the Clone Trooper, Chewie, Tarfful, and Palpy are gonna disappear as fast as Maul, Yoda, and Dooku did the last two times. Just keeping my fingers crossed that this one time I can land all of the figures I want (only one of each) in one shot.
May 3, 1999 was a Monday (Sunday night) and April 23, 2002 was a Tuesday (Monday night).

Maybe I'll go . . . I mean, it's the last time. Hopefully my WM will have one, but if not, I'll go right at 7 when it opens.

JEDIpartner
02-25-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't know that there is a specified Midnight Madness, but I am going to stop by a 24-hour Wal*Mart that midnight after my gig. I'd assume that they will have a bunch of toys then since they seem to be bigtime deep into promotions on this film.

Hellboy
02-28-2005, 08:33 PM
I don't know that there is a specified Midnight Madness

Thats basically the way its always been in my area. I had to drive a couple of hrs. outside the city to find a 24 hr Wal-Mart last time and there was only a handful of geeks loitering inside while this grumpy old lady filled the pegs. Of course they wouldn't let us touch the stuff until 12 but it was hardly an organized event.

I agree having this MM during the week would've been better. The weekend will bring out the masses making it less fun and more like work. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hot Wheel guy there trying to make a buck. :rolleyes: