PDA

View Full Version : How does the Emporer's Face get messed up?

Billiam86
02-22-2005, 09:37 PM
I've read that it's Darth Vader's scream from the table that creates a force thingy that screws up his face.

I've also heard that Yoda messes it up in their encounter?

Does anybody know which it is or have a picture of the transformation?

Sith Lord 0498
02-22-2005, 09:59 PM
The most probable explanation is that the Emperor has always looked this way but used the Dark Side in such a way that he maintained a false image that everyone knew as Senator/Chancellor Palpatine. It seems as though it may tie in to the influence he claims the Dark Side has over the midichlorians, influencing them to sustain and/or create life. If true, one can't help but wonder just how old Palpatine/Sidious truly is.

Also, the new deluxe figure with the "quick change" head feature seems to corroborate rumors that he reveals his true face during the duel with Mace Windu.

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 10:29 PM
I also heard that Yoda messes up his face during their duel. I think the "he always had that face, but was hiding it" plot works, but it's way too complicated to fit into the movie, especially if it needs to be fast-paced.

Where did you hear the Darth Vader screaming thing? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, because Palpy's face is messed up before Anakin falls into the lava. He has his duel with Yoda and his face is messed up then, and that happens before the conflict on Mustafar.

hango fett
02-23-2005, 07:03 AM
hmm...i was wondering why palpys face looked so puffy. i don't remeber it looking that bad in ROTJ...but 30 years can make skin sag and make him appear the way he does in ROTJ. i just hope it's done tastefully and not just thrown in there for the hell of it..
HF

Kidhuman
02-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Actaully oh GH they have the new figiure. It says he gets a suprise when battling Mace and he uses his powers.

hango fett
02-23-2005, 10:08 AM
yeah... i saw the figure of palpy with his face change. looks menacing with a lightsaber...
HF

Slicker
02-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah, he probably hasn't really used his dark side powers to there full extent and when he actually has to unleash them against Mace he probably gets a nasty surprise.

Darth Grifter
02-23-2005, 04:45 PM
i'm thinking that mace somehow deflects the force lightning back onto palpy's face and will destroy the facade that he has been holding down for years...just a thought...

Sith Lord 0498
02-23-2005, 05:27 PM
I saw those pics of the figure not long after I posted. Rethinking my previous theory, I'm starting to think what the cardback is referring to is that Sidious' rage and hatred toward the Jedi has been contained and festering for so long that when he can finally reveal himself and take "revenge", the Dark Side flows through him so much that it completely corrupts his appearance. Basically, he looks just like he feels.

hango fett
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
good theory. that would be awsome to see. palpy letting loose on poor yoda and mace...wel, more sad for me than awsome...i don't want to see mace die..
HF

The 'Xir
02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
I like both theories put forth by SL, if only that it enables them to be one in the same, but as I see more and more photos being leaked out, I get this nervous sense that were gonna get stuck with 2 different people, maybe Palpatine being a clone of Sidious! Which I've never wanted! This would suck! Here's to hoping!! :nerv:

moulman
03-17-2005, 09:24 PM
The theory that Palpy's face changes when he unleashes his anger truly makes the most sense to me. If you think about it- he hasnt used any of his dark side powers in TPM and AOTC, and when he does in ROTS, the dark side finally consumes him

badtaste
03-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I agree with the theory that Palpatine show's his real face when there's no reason anymore for hiding it.

However, one question remains, did have Darth Sidious in episode one and two the same puffy face or was he just normal ? I cant tell because of his cloack

Sith Lord 0498
03-18-2005, 02:24 PM
It was his Palpatine ("normal") face. You can tell during the scenes where he's shown in person--not via hologram.

drsidious
03-23-2005, 06:36 AM
i think they kill palpy
and he transfers his living force
to a clone body that cant hold the power of the dark side

stillakid
03-23-2005, 10:20 AM
How does the Emporer's Face get messed up?

He watched THE RING 2. :classic:

sith_killer_99
04-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, he probably hasn't really used his dark side powers to there full extent and when he actually has to unleash them against Mace he probably gets a nasty surprise.

Very close. He unleashed everything he has on Mace until he is completely drained! When it is all over he is permamnantly disfigured.

BTW, it seems that Mace won the confrontation, barely. Too bad Anakin wanted Palpatine alive to save Padme', or Mace would have survived and Palpatine would have died. Sure, the naysayers will argue against it, but it seemed pretty clear to me.

Palpatine later claims that he was disfigured by the Jedi when they tried to "assassinate" him. Thus noone is the wiser about him being a Sith Lord.

ronhudy
04-04-2005, 01:29 PM
How can anyone still be maintaining any kind of theory that Palpatine and Sidious are two different entities?! If that had ANY basis at all, there wouldn't be a single action figure that changes between Sidious and Palpatine...

Also, to reemphasize the wording on the back of the Deluxe figure card, it says he is "surprised" during his battle with Mace, which again eludes to the theory that his "disguise" may not have necessarily been a disguise, as much as his "Sidious" appearance was the RESULT of his confrontation with Mace.

And the debate continues....:)

The 'Xir
04-04-2005, 04:22 PM
I never wanted two individuals and never believed they were two different beings; and only based my assumptions on the new photos that were comming out, and before any figures were released! But, now that the book and audio CD is out, I'm glad to see my fears weren't realized! :) Whew! That was a close one! ;)

As far as his face changing abilities, simply a Darkside ruse/power, and the explanation as to how Anakins' eyes are able to change color as well!

Does this mean Lord Maul once had baby blues as well? :crazed:

rust
04-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Nah. The skin is a failure in his clones, which is why he needs a new body after he returns in the comics.

And to give a semi-quote of the Kiddie Book 'Mace Windu scarred and mutliated my face in the battle, so now I'm a freak. Let's kill all the Jedi and become evil cuz my face sux.'

Darth Alex
04-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I've read that it's Darth Vader's scream from the table that creates a force thingy that screws up his face.

I've also heard that Yoda messes it up in their encounter?

Does anybody know which it is or have a picture of the transformation?

His face gets screwed up when he went to Midnight Madness and realized that 1/3 of the stuff on his list hadn't shipped yet!:crazed:

Seriously, I am really looking forward to how they do this in the movie. Sam the man Jackson will be sorely missed in SW lore, but this fight should be excellent, no doubt.

jblodgett
04-06-2005, 02:50 PM
According to the book, when Sidious has his lightsaber duel / force lightning duel with Mace Windu- Windu returns the force lightning back at Sidious - which causes his facial damage.

scruffziller
04-17-2005, 05:29 PM
According to the book, when Sidious has his lightsaber duel / force lightning duel with Mace Windu- Windu returns the force lightning back at Sidious - which causes his facial damage.

Ohhhhh, so it really wasn't a disguise.
Yea the visual dictionary says it was damaged by force lightning but it didn't say who.

Lord_Setnom
04-23-2005, 01:34 AM
No but I read it and I actually believe it. He gets this new look after his fight with MW, who might have beaten him up had Anakin not shown up and screwed things up for him.

Maybe he did it in retaliation of his refusal to let him become a padawan in TPM. I still remember how he gave him The Look.