PDA

View Full Version : Sifo-Dyas mystery solved...kind of

General_Grievous
02-24-2005, 11:24 AM
First off, I just posted it in this forum because some of it directly deals with ROTS.

In James Luceno's "Labyrinth of Evil", it explains some events in Dooku's past and why exactly he left the Jedi Order. He felt that a great change was coming and that the Republic was corrupt. Darth Sidious then approaches him and starts to train him in the arts of the Dark Side.

While this was happening, the book states that Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas knew that a change was coming also, which was why he flew to Kamino and ordered the clone army. Sidious dispatched Dooku to kill Sifo-Dyas before he could inform the Council of the army. Sidious did this for two reasons:

A. It would be the final stepping stone for Dooku on his path to the Dark Side.

and

B. He did not want the Jedi Council to know about the Clone Army at all, so he sent Dooku on one last mission to the Jedi Council to erase Kamino from the Archives.

So it explains the whole Sifo-Dyas thing. But what still remains to be answered is this:

Why would the clones turn against the Jedi in ROTS if a Jedi was responsible for ordering them?

The reasonable answer would be this:

That the Kaminoans are also under the influence of Sidious and they made modifications to the clones that would make them turn on their masters.

But that we may find out for sure in Episode III....

hango fett
02-24-2005, 02:14 PM
very cool. makes alot of sense to me now, the reason why the clone army was created and how sifo-dyas was killed. that was always a question i would have liked to have been answered in AOTC, but didn't get to see it.
HF

jedi master sal
02-24-2005, 03:15 PM
I've explained this before but let me try to put a little different spin on this.

Think of the clones as cattle. While not mindless they are clearly not independant thinkiners. Even the commanders, while a little more independant than their grunt brethren, are still bound to take orders and must abide by them.

Since they are all relatively of the same mind, all Palpatine need do is control that one mind. He sends out the signal to the clone mind to kill all Jedi and ALL the clones respond.

Now to take this a step further, think of the clones as almost like a "hive" mind. They do as the queen says. They all think alike and for the betterment of the whole hive. They share thoughts. In this respect again, Palpatine only need affect one clone mind to control all of them.

If one were to argue the allowable extra independence given to the officers then that still is really only about 5 mindsets. (Commander, Captain, Lt, Sergeant and grunt) That's well within Palpatine's force ability.

-Sal

Kidhuman
02-24-2005, 04:08 PM
A Borg theory, not bad Sal.

sith_killer_99
02-24-2005, 08:05 PM
The Clones are not loyal to the Jedi, they are loyal to the Republic. They follow the orders of the Jedi because the Jedi have been put in command positions. They are the Generals. Once Palpatine makes it look like the Jedi are responsible for attempting to kill him the "Supreme Chancellor" the Jedi then become "enemies" of the Republic. Remember "this Army is for the Republic."

Again as JMS, said they are not really built for independant thought. Though I believe we will see a few ARC Troopers side with the Jedi and perhaps help Yoda and/or Obi-Wan. It seems they have gone to some length to show the close relationship between the Jedi and the ARC Troopers in the Clone Wars novels.

Sith Lord 0498
02-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Though I believe we will see a few ARC Troopers side with the Jedi and perhaps help Yoda and/or Obi-Wan. It seems they have gone to some length to show the close relationship between the Jedi and the ARC Troopers in the Clone Wars novels.

I'm not so sure we'll see that happen. Commander Cody and Obi-Wan are supposed to be one of the closest Jedi-Clone friend pairings in ROTS (at least that's what the spy reports seem to suggest), and Cody turns on him immediately upon receiving the order to kill the Jedi. As a matter of fact, it describes him stiffening and becoming almost robotic.

I believe that Sidious had the Kaminoans (as unwitting accomplices) engineer the clones with a type of "remote control" feature in their genetic makeup that would allow Sidious to take control of the clones at any time. Perhaps, it's even activated through the Force. To me, it seems a little bit like Robocop's "Directive 4 - Classified" plot element.

sith_killer_99
02-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, looks like I missed a spy report. Good to know. :D

Tycho
02-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Good story idea. I'm really enjoying Labyrynth of Evil, and it's redecessor: Yoda-Dark Redezvous was a great read, too!

Still detractors like Stillakid are going to complain "why wasn't Sypho-Dyas explained in a movie?" Indeed he might be, however, Stillakid could have a valid point (that he hasn't even made yet).

2-1B
02-25-2005, 09:29 PM
I think Syfo-Dias will be referenced in the film, all they have to do is say that Dooku killed Sifo after placing the clone order . . . and that should be enough.

But you're right, Tycho - IF SD isn't cleared up in the film but only in a book, then Stillakid does have a good point . . . even . . . if . . . he doesn't realize it right now. :D

The 'Xir
02-26-2005, 12:18 AM
The Clones are not loyal to the Jedi, they are loyal to the Republic. They follow the orders of the Jedi because the Jedi have been put in command positions. They are the Generals. Once Palpatine makes it look like the Jedi are responsible for attempting to kill him the "Supreme Chancellor" the Jedi then become "enemies" of the Republic. Remember "this Army is for the Republic."

Again as JMS, said they are not really built for independant thought. Though I believe we will see a few ARC Troopers side with the Jedi and perhaps help Yoda and/or Obi-Wan. It seems they have gone to some length to show the close relationship between the Jedi and the ARC Troopers in the Clone Wars novels.

Exactly what I was gonna say! Down to the quote and all! :D Once Palps disolves the Republic, the army falls under his control/emergency powers!

scruffziller
02-26-2005, 11:54 AM
The Clones are not loyal to the Jedi, they are loyal to the Republic.

Yea that is what I figured out when I first saw AOTC. Most of us went into the story of AOTC with the assumption that the clones were going to be the bad guys right off hand. Especially the way they showed the picture of the clones standing in the foreground with Jango standing in front as if to lead them. And as AOTC came to a close, I figured out..."Oh yea" interesting writing there GL. You don't have many moments but when you do it good, you do it good.:) Noodling with our brain like that.:D