PDA

View Full Version : Which R2 Units Will Fit In The RotS Starfigter?

Ric Olie
02-25-2005, 05:42 PM
I got the starfighter today and the R2's I have do not fit. Does anyone know which ones will fit?

JediTricks
02-25-2005, 07:23 PM
None fit in it correctly because while the socket is deep enough for the body, it's not deep enough for the legs so even if you could find an R2 with small enough feet to fit inside (that's the problem I'm having so far with all of 'em) he'd be sticking way too far out.

Ric Olie
02-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Has anyone tried the RotS R4-G9 preview figure? It's possible is was design to fit into the socket so you could put it in Obi-Wan's starfighter. I have one but I'm leaving it on the card until I can find another one.

plasticfetish
02-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Has anyone tried the RotS R4-G9 preview figure?Yep... and with the little wires down on the feet, it's even less likely to fit in there. I've gone through all of the R2s that I own, and none will fit.

Turbowars
02-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Yeah it's not that great of a feature. They really should have just permanently fixed the droid in. I suppose in ROTS the droid is shown coming out, so It kind of makes sense. The problem is scale, if the compartment was big enough then the ship would look stupid. Doesn't really bother me though, it will be hanging from the ceiling and I can care less if the droid comes out or not.

Kidhuman
02-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Try the silver R2...

Turbowars
02-25-2005, 11:15 PM
OK, I'll just cut the fixed 3rd leg off.....

Kidhuman
02-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Thats right he has one of those....

Turbowars
02-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Not only that, but his legs are on backwards as well. 2nd to best Silver figure and they messed it up.

plasticfetish
02-26-2005, 02:23 AM
I suppose in ROTS the droid is shown coming out, so It kind of makes sense.Yeah, and for a kid it's probably cool to be able to at least pretent. Would be cooler if it worked... but as is, it doesn't bother me either.

JediTricks
02-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Yeah it's not that great of a feature. They really should have just permanently fixed the droid in. I suppose in ROTS the droid is shown coming out, so It kind of makes sense. The problem is scale, if the compartment was big enough then the ship would look stupid. Doesn't really bother me though, it will be hanging from the ceiling and I can care less if the droid comes out or not.
It's actually worse for droid realism on the Naboo Fighter and especially the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter (JSF), the LFL reasoning is that the droids in the Naboo Fighter have their heads disconnect from their bodies which squish down, and in Ep 2 that's a full-sized droid dome with a mini-body or something. It's super lame IMO, they should have thought these things through, on the Ep 2 JSF someone even pointed out to Lucas during the design phase that it doesn't make sense and he just basically said "so what, I don't care, make something up". By contrast, on the toy of the Ep 3 JSF the compartment would be perfect if there was about 3mm more space for the feet and the droids' legs compacted. I think those boxes under the JSF wings where R2's body goes on his side are actually on the movie model at least.

Joshkj
02-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Posible when they said "Most R2's" they ment most R2's in the ROTS line... who knows :/

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Oddly enough, I tried the Star Tours R5-D5 and R4-M9, both of which could fit in the starfighter. Their feet weren't completely flat though, and they were sticking out a lot, but hey, it worked. Almost. ;)

DarkArtist
02-27-2005, 05:32 PM
That's a big zero. I have tried every one from the preview ep II droid to old POTF r2, and all of the star tours droids. Not one worked. The vintage R2's sort of fit but looked funny.

JediTricks
02-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Oddly enough, I tried the Star Tours R5-D5 and R4-M9, both of which could fit in the starfighter. Their feet weren't completely flat though, and they were sticking out a lot, but hey, it worked. Almost. ;)
Yeah, pretty much any R2 that has articulated ankles and no permanent 3rd leg can do this since the feet are now angled, but the figure sticks WAY out this way and it takes some effort to get everything to line up (the body and feet, even with the angled ankles now, don't want to line up in the socket, I found that one of my R2's legs was actually bending when I did this, that's no good of course).

JEDIpartner
02-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah... who knows what they mean. They said that "most figures" would fit into the Episode II speeders and fighters. LOL

Ric Olie
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Lies, lies all lies! Curse you Hasbro.

lol

Lazer Brain
03-03-2005, 05:13 PM
ok, i've tried all the r2's and bar too dee two fits the best. his legs are still a bit long but overall he pops right in, and if you leave the tray on he looks like a flight attendant.
later

JediTricks
03-04-2005, 11:57 PM
That's the first one I tried (since it's the one closest to my keyboard :D) and what I found was that the feet weren't fitting too well and when I forced it the legs bent slightly, so watch for that.