PDA

View Full Version : Did you still collect SW when POTF came out?

JON9000
02-25-2005, 09:30 PM
I didn't. :(

I was really into GI Joe and Transformers at that time. There are several reasons for this, looking back on it. GI Joe and Transformers at that time, of course, had television shows that captivated my young interest. On top of that, by that time, toys had advanced beyond what Kenner was offering with SW.

GI Joe figures had articulation that simply blew vintage SW figures out of the water, and Transformers were a flat out stroke of genius. I may never have a claim to be the best in the world at anything else, but I could transform Megatron in about 4 seconds flat.

I think this is really what killed the line. It simply couldn't compete with the never lines of the era. Thoughts?

Kidhuman
02-25-2005, 09:59 PM
I think you mean POTF ...

and no I didnt,I had gotten into Joes and Transformers and VOltron...

Reefer Shark
02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I lost interest in all toys shortly after ROTJ came out - teenage years will do that to you I suppose. I missed out on a lot ROTJ figures and all POTF unfortunately.

Not that it matters since I pretty much either destroyed or gave away all the toys I had as a kid during those previously mentioned teenage years. Hell, I don't even remember what happened to most of 'em lol

evenflow
02-26-2005, 09:22 AM
I was still collecting. I was only about 5 or 6 at the time so I really had onl;y started witht he ROTJ wave.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-26-2005, 09:23 AM
I was still a rabid toy buyer/getter with the ROTJ series of figures, but not so much with the vehicles or playsets. However, when the POTF1 series came out, I saw the cool figures on the backs of the cards (Han Carbonite, Luke Trooper, and Imp Gunner were the ones I drooled over) but couldn't seem to find them in the stores easily. Yes, Transformers and Robotech (and to a lesser extet early on, comic books) started to edge out SW, but I was quite beyond GI Joe at that time; in fact, I traded most of my GIJ collection for various SW items.

But on the bright side, I got into the SW re-collecting phase easier than most; I finished my last POTF figure (Han Carbonite, one of my favs) sometime in 1993, I believe. But I don't think I bought a single SW figure from 1984-86 (I found Blue Snaggs on a trip in '87, I think).

LusiferSam
02-26-2005, 12:34 PM
"Collect?" No. I don't think kids don't "collect" toys. With that said, I was still into SW toys in 1985. I'm interest lasted longer than the final line did. I had two POTF figures, Anakin and Warok. And might had more coins but the couple of other figures I got that year were on ROTJ cards.

Like many of you I also got into GI Joe, but that was at the end of 1985 (prior that I hate, really hate GI Joe). I was also amazed by the articulation and felt it blow Kenner's away. I was also into MOTU. Both of these would be replaced by Lego in '88. The Joes would make a small come back in '91, but finally lost the battle in '92 (the line really sucked at that point).

What I think killed SW toys was the fact that there were no new movies on the horizon. It was the movies that drove the toys (same as today). No driver means no demand. Low or no demand means no toys. '82, '83 and '84 Star Wars held their own pretty good. But this no new momentum in '85 Kenner lost it.

Dialogus
02-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Back then the coming of Home Video Games (ColecoVision!) took over my interest in SW collecting. I still remember receiving 5 or 6 ROTJ figs for Christmas '83 and later asking Mom to buy me some more in '84 (Prune Face & 8D8 I believe). Then I stopped looking for figs.

Being an early teenager, I got into Metal music most of the time. Then Zeppelin were Gods and I began to play drums... So I stayed with the idea that the ROTJ figs were last and unfortunately never ever heard of an '85 POTF wave, at least for 10 years... still I was clever enough to keep my 70+ figs collection and Slave I :evil: .

Then in '93 in a local flea market I ran into that guy selling SW stuff and he told me about the POTF figs and how rare and expensive most of them were. I couldn't believe what I have missed by a single year a decade ago... and still can't :cry: !!

Since then I've been able to add Anakin, EV-9D9, Romba, Lando General & recently Barada in my collection.

Ji'dai
02-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Yes, I was still collecting at that time. The only store I can remember seeing them was Kay Bee Toys. I did see all of them at retail, but they were expensive, running about $3-4 each. Not being able to afford them all, I had to make some rather anguishing choices. I ended up buying Amanaman, R2 with pop-up lightsaber, Han in Carbonite, Gen. Lando, Stormtrooper Luke, and Battle Poncho Luke.

My Mom ordered the Ewok Battle Wagon and Skiff from a department store christmas catalog. Both vehicles had the POTF packaging. I also got the A-Wing, but it came in DROIDS packaging.

Of course buying ROTJ recards just to get the coin was not feasilbe at the time. I'm not sure I'd do that today.. I didn't bother with collecting all the Freeze Frames.

I was a toy snob at the time so if it wasn't Star Wars or LEGO I thought it was crap. I didn't get into GI Joe until I discovered the Marvel Comic, then began watching the cartoon and collecting the figures. Star Wars toys were out of production by then though. I never got into Transformers like some of you. I watched the cartoon and collected the comic, but I only have a handful of the toys. The ones I have came from the 80's movie when they killed Optimus Prime.

karinations2005
02-27-2005, 08:10 AM
I was kind of out by this time and even as early as 1981 i was favoring G.I. Joes over Star Wars figures.
They had more playability to them and i loved the comic.
When Jedi came out i didn't really even go too crazy on those, i got some here and there but that was it.
In the later 80's with the onset of puberty i was more interested in Motley Crue and though i collected comics i got away from toys.
However..it might have been 88 or 89? The Kay-Bee at the mall near my house was clearing out SW figures at 3 for a dollar, the POTF figures with coins.
They also had Driods stuff and ships for dirt cheap, they had B-wing's for $5.
I got 2.
My friends thought i was weird.
I bought a bunch of the figures, cracked them open and posed them around my room.
Went back the next week and bought more, It was so cheap i just figured why not.
I also got almost every Super Powers figure there for pennies as well.
Then my parents went to visit my sister at college and brought me home a HUGE bag of discounted POTF figures they had found at a Kay-Bee near her.
Multiples of Han in carbonite, Lando General, B Wing Pilot ( i never did come across a Luke Stormtrooper though..) a whole huge bag of them.
They thought i would get a kick out of it since i used to be a Star Wars nut.
As clear as day i remember tearing the bubble off of Han in Carbonite and then looking over at the 4 other multiples..
Sweet Jesus...

In the early 1990's all i cared about was making cash to take out chicks and buy CD's so i didn't think twice about unloading all my POTF figures loose and carded, along with my other Star Wars toys to a place called Mr. Big's Toyloand in Woburn MA.
It was a mom and pop family owned toy store that sold new and used and had a MONSTOROUS selection of Shogun Warriors that i used to drool over.
I remember me and a few of my friends carrying BOXES of SW crap out of my car and into the basement of the store.
I laid it all out on the floor and the owner walked all around it assessing the piles of figure cases, ships, bases and 12 inch figures ( i had ...everything..).
I remember him looking down at the figures and going "well..i can give you a dollar each for the ones out of the package and 2 bucks for the ones in the package" and im thinking..**** that's awesome i was buying the ones in the package 3 for a dollar a few years ago, i just doubled my money x2!
Idiot..
He could have offered my fifty bucks for the lot and i would have taken it, i just wanted gas money for the weekend.
I think in the end i got $250.00 for everything and that was like a million dollars to teenage me.
I didn't make that in a week at Mrs. Field's Cookies.
A pile of mint 12 inch figures..Rifle figure cases still in the package..Imperial Side Gunner in the Droids Box..2 B-Wing Fighters...2!!

It hurts..

-V-

http://www.karinations.com (http://www.karinations.com/)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-27-2005, 08:56 AM
I was kind of out by this time and even as early as 1981 i was favoring G.I. Joes over Star Wars figures.

However..it might have been 88 or 89? The Kay-Bee at the mall near my house was clearing out SW figures at 3 for a dollar,

My friends thought i was weird.

Went back the next week and bought more, It was so cheap i just figured why not.

Sweet Jesus...

so i didn't think twice about unloading all my POTF figures loose and carded, along with my other Star Wars toys to a place

I remember me and a few of my friends carrying BOXES of SW crap out of my car and into the basement of the store.

I remember him looking down at the figures and going "well..i can give you a dollar each for the ones out of the package and 2 bucks for the ones in the package" and im thinking..**** that's awesome i was buying the ones in the package 3 for a dollar a few years ago, i just doubled my money x2!
Idiot..
He could have offered my fifty bucks for the lot and i would have taken it, i just wanted gas money for the weekend.
I think in the end i got $250.00 for everything and that was like a million dollars to teenage me.

It hurts..

-V-

Hmm... I see potential in a new thread here... more to come. I hope time has healed those monetary wounds, k2005.