PDA

View Full Version : so, i got engaged!

darthvyn
02-27-2005, 07:24 PM
yeah, i'm gettin' hitched. my fiancee and i have been together now about a year and a half, and i proposed to her on new year's eve, in the bar we met at. at the stroke of midnight, she turned around to say "rabbit" to me (something her family does, they have to say "rabbit" to each other on the first of every month for good luck, and it's especially good luck to get someone on NYE...) and i'm down on one knee, holding the ring out to her. she collapsed down to the floor with me, and everyone around us thought we just passed out drunk, except for our friends that tried to explain it to all of them. pretty funny. anyway, thought i'd throw that out there.

stillakid
02-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Congratulations! Come back in 7 years and let us know how it's going. :D

JEDIpartner
02-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Congrats!!! And that's not nice, Stilla... :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
02-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Congrats Vyn. Mucho Lucko to you and your fianceeeeeee

DarthQuack
02-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Congrats, another bachelor bites the dust.:p

stillakid
02-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Congrats!!! And that's not nice, Stilla... :rolleyes:

Some call me cynical. I prefer to think of myself as a pragmatist. :D

jjreason
02-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Great news, Vyn. Sorry I'm so late in acknowledging this, I just saw the thread for the first time tonight. Best of luck! Now here's my 2 cents worth of marriage advice (and I've cracked the 7 year barrier, Stilla, in case you're wondering :D ) - the silent treatment just doesn't work. It's not worth it. Talk everything out, even if you're yelling you're communicating. Again, best wishes!

dr_evazan22
02-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Congrats Vyn! That's a great story!

sith_killer_99
02-28-2005, 05:58 AM
Big CONGRATS! My wife and I celebrate our 5th anniversary today! Actually we got married on Feb 29th.

Some call me cynical. I prefer to think of myself as a pragmatist.

Stilla, I didn't know you were pragmat. Congrats. :D ;)

mabudonicus
02-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Ahhhh, is it gonna say "DarthVyn" or "JediKnightrider" on the invites ;)???

Congrats Bro, I am getting "hitched" to JediElf this spring, we can ride our bicycles to Niagara Falls for a honeymoon :beard:

I am not surprised at this news after your whirlwind "elopement" to the Carolinas anyways (I actually thought you already were married, matter of fact :D)

Stilla, I didn't know you were pragmat. Congrats.
LMAO, good one sir!!!

darthvyn
02-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Some call me cynical. I prefer to think of myself as a pragmatist. :D

same here, before i met her...

thanks everybody... and reason, don't worry about the lateness... it's my fault. i didn't start this thread until last night. i don't know why i hadn't announced it here, among my online friends. speaking of which, check this out... it's our engagement announcement...

stillakid
02-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Stilla, I didn't know you were pragmat. Congrats. :D ;)

Thanks! :) I'm hoping for the best!

Kidhuman
02-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Nice invites Vyn....

darthvyn
02-28-2005, 10:58 AM
that's just the engagement announcement... the invites will be more formal. (i had to give in to her demands on those, i mean c'mon... i got to have spidey on the card!!!)

we found someone who'll make a cake topper of the spidey/maryjane pic, too. $100, and it's a done deal! awesome!

Rocketboy
02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
that's just the engagement announcement... the invites will be more formal. (i had to give in to her demands on those, i mean c'mon... i got to have spidey on the card!!!)

we found someone who'll make a cake topper of the spidey/maryjane pic, too. $100, and it's a done deal! awesome!Conrats man! I'm also getting hitched in about 2 months.

That announcement is awesome, but I think we all expect to see you in a Spidey suit in the actual wedding pics. :D

Kidhuman
02-28-2005, 11:21 AM
we found someone who'll make a cake topper of the spidey/maryjane pic, too. $100, and it's a done deal! awesome!

Why not buy the figures on clearance for 3 bucks and put em on the cake?

darthvyn
02-28-2005, 11:38 AM
because the mary jane figure has a red dress on, and has a worse horse-face than the original POTF re-launch leia. not only that, but you really can't find the MJ figure anywhere, anyway. it was from the first movie. the only figures they made from the second movie were a billion different spidey's and one doc ock.

2-1B
02-28-2005, 02:46 PM
My condolences, Vyn.

:D

El Chuxter
02-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Congrats, vyn!

Just make sure you backup all your information in case it gets sold to the Romanians. Otherwise everything will be set back a year and your fiancee won't know you proposed and be all confused. :eek:

darthvyn
02-28-2005, 05:30 PM
the romanians, or the romulans?

either way, i hate when that happens!

Turbowars
02-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Don't do it!!;)

bobafrett
02-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Don't do it!!;)

Dang, he beat me to it! No, I mean "Congratulations Darthvyn!". I've never taken that bold step, but I do have a son, so I did things in a half backwards way, but I think before I have any more kids, I might someday get married first.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Congrats vyn on your engagement,

Just promise us that you won't end up like billfreemore once he got hitched :D and will check in from time to time.

Turbowars
03-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Vyn, well if you must do it, make it easy on yourself the 1st time, (Notice I said 1st) go to Vegas and go to a drive through chapel. Make sure the rock is a cubic zurconia and have her sign a prenup. HEHE. No really I wish you and your soon to be wife all the happyness and luck, because you are going to need it. Sorry I had to throw that in. All honesty it's really a lot of fun being married. I married my best friend and I'm very happy. JJreason is a smart man. Communication is the key, I'm still learning that. Most people aren't mind readers.:)

darthvyn
03-02-2005, 07:14 AM
LBC: don't worry about that, i'll definitely be at least around as much as i have been...

turbo: it's not exactly gonna be vegas, she's getting the day she wants. the ring (or at least the rock) is heirloom, and we already have a joint bank account, so no use in a prenup now!

seriously, though, the wedding is for her. my commitment in my mind was moving down to raleigh and moving in with her. we've been living together for 9 months now, and that's longer than almost any of my previous relationships.

and i am a mind reader, so that helps. (by the way, that's sick, turbo... to do THAT with a goldfish! :eek: !)

Turbowars
03-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Maybe it's because I worked a 12 hour day, but what?

darthvyn
03-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Maybe it's because I worked a 12 hour day, but what?

i'm a mind reader... so i know that you did that... it was.. a... joke...

ah, never mind.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-07-2005, 08:21 PM
I wish getting engaged or even finding a suitable woman, would be as easy as how the caveman allegedly did it. Just take a club, pick the girl who interests you (perhaps she has a nice scent), BASH her over the head, and drag her home (by the hair preferrably). :D

darthvyn
10-21-2005, 11:32 PM
so, i got married! i wanted to wait until i had some good shots of the OTHER thing that i got to do... this is a shot of our entrance to the reception, and a funny one of our table...

JimJamBonds
10-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Cool picks DVSKR3K, congrats!

2-1B
10-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Well done Vyncent ! That's one beautiful bounty bride you've got there ! :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
10-22-2005, 05:51 AM
Man, Vyn, that is a good pic of the entrance, you guys look SO stoked, congrats!!!
(I especially like how there's not hardly a straight face to be seen, especially, very fitting)

darthvyn
10-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Man, Vyn, that is a good pic of the entrance, you guys look SO stoked, congrats!!!
(I especially like how there's not hardly a straight face to be seen, especially, very fitting)

yeah, one thing i was told was that the way you enter the reception sets the tone for the whole night - if you come in all serious like "i just got married, treat me like emperor daddy pants" then everyone's gonna be all stiff and formal. if you come in in a fun way, people are going to respond to that. the guy who told me that, they came in like a high-school football team, i think they even had a paper banner to break through. mrs. vyn's aunt and uncle came in with those groucho marx glass/nose "disguise" things.

the night was awesome. huge party. it was a blast.

Rocketboy
10-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Awesome! Congrats brutha!

bobafrett
10-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Sweet, how did you convince the people to hold up the lightsabers?

JediTricks
10-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Cool beans Vyn, congratulations on fooling some poor woman into your web of deceit... what do you mean you don't have a web of deceit??? Oh, she's looking over your shoulder right now, eh? Gotcha, no web of deceit, riiiiiight. ;)

Couldn't spring for the electronic lightsabers though, huh? :p (you know I'm jokin' with ya! :D) So, they didn't beat you guys into a bloodied state right after that shot? That would have been the ultimate send-off.

darthvyn
10-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Sweet, how did you convince the people to hold up the lightsabers?

oh, most of them were like "when do i get my lightsaber?" the entire day... they loved it! most of my groomsmen got away with theirs, and one of the bridesmaids left with one too, but one of the other bridesmaids handed most of them off to the kids. at the end of the night, my groomsmen were hiding theirs in their jackets...

Cool beans Vyn, congratulations on fooling some poor woman into your web of deceit... what do you mean you don't have a web of deceit??? Oh, she's looking over your shoulder right now, eh? Gotcha, no web of deceit, riiiiiight. ;)

Couldn't spring for the electronic lightsabers though, huh? :p (you know I'm jokin' with ya! :D) So, they didn't beat you guys into a bloodied state right after that shot? That would have been the ultimate send-off.

yeah, we had 15 people in the wedding party, so 15 sabers at @ $22 wasn't gonna fly... these non-electronic ones are pretty good, though. oh, and she's down with the web of deceit, so it's all good.

2-1B
10-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Jeez JT, why not tease the guy for not using Master Replicas while you're at it ? :crazed:

InsaneJediGirl
10-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Congrats Vyn :) Looks like it was a fun time.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Congratulations!

You got a keeper there in your wife, doing the lightsaber/star wars theme at the wedding, that is really cool! :) :thumbsup:

JediTricks
10-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Jeez JT, why not tease the guy for not using Master Replicas while you're at it ? :crazed:
Because I didn't think of it. :p Seriously, this is a wedding and ya gotta spring for the goods, most folks only have like 4 or 5 of these in their lifetimes. ;) Honestly though, all the adults taking the toys home and hiding them from the kiddies, that's classic. :D

Women aren't supposed to know about the web of deceit, it's in the handbook! Next you'll be telling us she's read the handbook too... oh, we're all doomed, Vyn has given away all our manly secrets simply because nature has fooled him into being "in love".

I dunno what it is, but seeing that archway of sabers makes me think how hard it must have been for them to not bop you on the head as you passed by. That's the sign of good friends when they are able to control such urges.

sith_killer_99
10-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Congrats! Best wishes to you and the misses.:thumbsup:

Seriously, this is a wedding and ya gotta spring for the goods, most folks only have like 4 or 5 of these in their lifetimes.

Well, I've had two, but they were with the same woman.

darthvyn
10-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Congratulations!

You got a keeper there in your wife, doing the lightsaber/star wars theme at the wedding, that is really cool! :) :thumbsup:

speaking of THEME, i forgot to say, we actually had the wedding party walk in to the opening titles, and then they switched to the imperial march when we came in... the DJ had really good timing with it!

Rocketboy
10-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Captainsolo1138 also had us all walk in to the Imperial March also at his weddin'.
It was awesome!

CaptainSolo1138
10-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Captainsolo1138 also had us all walk in to the Imperial March also at his weddin'.
It was awesome!
Damn right it was.

Congrats, vyn. Did you do anything special with the cake? Those toppers usually lend themselves to SW very well.

darthvyn
10-24-2005, 08:22 AM
we actually had a butt-ugly spider-man and mary jane cake topper made from the image of them getting married from the cover of a comic, but as i said, it was butt-ugly and i wasn't happy with it. but whatever. i had a fun time anyway...

El Chuxter
10-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Man, you're lucky. My wife loves geeky stuff, but wanted an "adult" wedding. We did all our own music for the ceremony and reception (we both agreed DJ's are annoying, the bane of the earth, and should all be dragged into the streets and shot), I was able to work in "Across the Stars" as the groomsmen and myself walked in. She got to march in to "At Last." Etta James, John Williams: I'm not sure which of us got the better deal there. :)

Seriously, though, congrats, although I have this vague nagging feeling I've said that to you before. ;)

2-1B
10-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Chux, there are many bad DJs out there but if a good one is available, I'd take it any day over a live band who is going to do more of a performance and less party-hosting. :)

I dig your use of Across the Stars, that's awesome ! :grin:

CaptainSolo1138
10-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Etta James, John Williams: I'm not sure which of us got the better deal there. :)
At my wedding we all came in to the the "Imperial March" and Mrs. CaptainSolo and I had our dance to "At Last". Small world.

JediTricks
10-24-2005, 07:49 PM
we actually had a butt-ugly spider-man and mary jane cake topper made from the image of them getting married from the cover of a comic, but as i said, it was butt-ugly and i wasn't happy with it. but whatever. i had a fun time anyway...Whose fault was this cake? What an odd left-turn in the tale, I am curious to know how and why it came to be now. :confused:

BTW, nobody here is using the ceremony scene music from the end of ANH? I would have thought that a more natural choice, it's an upbeat march rather than an evil march of ominous doom that is the Imperial March.

CaptainSolo1138
10-24-2005, 07:57 PM
it's an upbeat march rather than an evil march of ominous doom that is the Imperial March.
You must not be married.....:D

JediTricks
10-24-2005, 08:44 PM
You must not be married.....:D
I get the joke, but I am pretty sure if a woman is willing to actually marry a Star Wars fan, she would get it too, and then she'd kick the crap out of him for making said joke. :p

bobafrett
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
40 years old, never been married. Star Wars collection still intact! Not that I think marriage is a bad thing, just something for those with stronger hearts than I have.

2-1B
10-25-2005, 02:48 AM
I'm not a big fan of marriage. No offense, married guys. lol

JT the only way I could go with the Nazi Rebel Ceremonial Theme :D is if there were a Wookie there to do it justice with his well timed growl. :)

darthvyn
10-25-2005, 07:07 AM
40 years old, never been married. Star Wars collection still intact! Not that I think marriage is a bad thing, just something for those with stronger hearts than I have.

I'm not a big fan of marriage. No offense, married guys. lol

that's what i thought as well, until i met the woman i was going to marry...

JT the only way I could go with the Nazi Rebel Ceremonial Theme :D is if there were a Wookie there to do it justice with his well timed growl. :)

that's awesome! haha! 'cept that peter mayhew would charge you more than the reception hall and the limos combined :crazed:

Whose fault was this cake? What an odd left-turn in the tale, I am curious to know how and why it came to be now. :confused:

BTW, nobody here is using the ceremony scene music from the end of ANH? I would have thought that a more natural choice, it's an upbeat march rather than an evil march of ominous doom that is the Imperial March.

well, the original intent was to have a cake-topper that looked like the image of spidey and MJ from the cover of ASM annual #21, when they got married (side-note: mrs. darthvyn actually got me the comic as part of her wedding gift to me...) which i used in the design of our engagement announcement:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=375873&postcount=11

well, we found someone that does custom cake-toppers online, and she said she'd do it for $100 and make it "less cartoony than she usually does it. more like action figures" - well, when we finally got the test shots, it looked like butt. we got pictures two months later than we were promised, and she then proceeded to send it to our old apartment. when she didn't fess up as to the fact that she screwed up, we were too late to retreive it from the old apartment complex - by the time i realized what she had done, they had sent it "return to sender". so, we didn't think we were going to get it in time, but she received it and immediately sent it express to my mom's house, where we were staying the week before the wedding. and it looked just as bad as the pictures.

as for the imperial march, any woman who isn't able to laugh at something like that isn't ready to marry the guy. she knew it was a joke.

darthvyn
10-28-2005, 08:15 PM
i found another pic of us entering with the sabers...

Turbowars
10-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Congratulations! 1 for getting married, it can be fun and it can be horrible. I experienced both. 2 for finding a girl that isn't freaked out about your love for SW.

Was there anyone there at the wedding that was freaked out about the gooffy sabers? I must admit it is a step beyond the norm.

darthvyn
10-28-2005, 09:14 PM
nah, it kicked off the party on a funny and entertaining note... it made everyone realize it was a fun night... not a stuffy "we got married, so take it very seriously" kinda night...

Turbowars
10-29-2005, 12:21 AM
nah, it kicked off the party on a funny and entertaining note... it made everyone realize it was a fun night... not a stuffy "we got married, so take it very seriously" kinda night...Very cool. I know what you mean by STUFFY. My 1st wedding was like that. I mean everything had to be perfect. I on the other hand didn't really care. My 2nd wedding was in Vegas and it was actually fun.:razz: