PDA

View Full Version : How exactly is G Lu anti-union ?

2-1B
02-28-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm not totally clear on this.

First, I do know that Lucas likes going overseas (England, Australia) with non-union, non-American production crews. I'm pretty well informed on that area.

What about SAG ? I mean, I've heard recently about a certain popular Hollywood actor who declined to do a voice for Episode 3 because it is non-union. Is there ever any backlash against actors who work non-union ? To me, it seems not . . . look at tonight's Oscar Awards, they had Natalie Portman nominated for an award and Samuel L. Jackson was a presenter. Heck, I remember in 1999 when they had Lucas himself there to do a special presentation.

And what about the musical scoring, is this union related ? John Williams did all 5 SW films and is working on number 6. The guy has no problem finding other gigs though, as he seems to be a darling of the scoring industry with countless Oscar nominations and a handful of wins.

So what I'm looking for is how the anti-union stuff plays out. Like I said, I know that it affects the "common person, you and me" types who actually work for a living behind the scenes in production. But what about the actors ? Why doesn't the union shun those who have worked on the prequels ? A guy like Hayden Christensen was pretty new to the business when he joined SW, I think his main leading / supporting roles all came AFTER landing SW. But there are so many other already established famous names who joined up, like SL Jackson, Nat Portman, and Jimmy Smits.

Insights ?

stillakid
03-01-2005, 02:31 AM
As you imply, if a normal crew member crosses a picket line or goes to work on a large "non-union" project, their union (IATSE) will most likely suspend them from the roster. That's bad news.

Actors, on the other hand, get treated with kid gloves. Especially if they are A or B list actors. If Robert Deniro decided to do a large non-union picture in Texas, what do you think the odds are that Melissa Gilbert would successfully pull his card? Right...none. It's just not gonna happen. So long as these actors at this level have the ability to create huge box-office receipts, they are untouchable. Crew members are expendable. Actor's faces are not. Crispin Glover tested this idea when it came time to negotiate the deal for Back to the Future III. He overestimated how much that film needed him. But Michael J. Fox was necessary so he could get pretty much whatever he wanted. Robin Williams made out like a bandit for the third Aladdin feature after Disney thought they could make #2 without him.

So the actors are pretty much untouchable no matter what the actual rules might say. But it's all pretty much moot anyway being that most of the production for Star Wars takes place outside the SAG juristiction (if I'm not mistaken...I haven't read the SAG book o' rules for some time so you'll probably get a more complete and accurate answer from a SAG member. I'm just IATSE). As you stated, Lucas took his pictures overseas mainly because the Hollywood system ******** him off so bad. I imagine that he doesn't abuse his crews or cast so it all comes out in the wash anyway. Crew probably doesn't get IA hours or Pension and Welfare compensation either.

But no, SAG isn't about to sanction any of the actors or anything just for working on a George Lucas picture.

JimJamBonds
10-13-2005, 02:21 AM
In documentries about the OT they say that during shooting in England the union/unions required breaks every so often (a given) and if G Lu would ask to shoot longer on a given day he could but only something like 15 min and that was if the union said yes. Like Stilla said I think its just mainly due to how Lucas was treated more then anything else.

JON9000
11-02-2005, 07:17 PM
GL said it took twenty years to complete the first Death Star because of union difficulties. Looks like Randall was right- roofers, plumbers, etc. What could be more anti-union?

JEDIpartner
12-02-2005, 10:48 AM
In documentries about the OT they say that during shooting in England the union/unions required breaks every so often (a given) and if G Lu would ask to shoot longer on a given day he could but only something like 15 min and that was if the union said yes. Like Stilla said I think its just mainly due to how Lucas was treated more then anything else.

You're pretty much spot on with that. He has a beef with the Screen Writers Guild and a few other "Hollywood" unions. He was treated poorly back in the day and that's why he didn't have anyone help with the last three scripts in any way, shape or form. He's very anti-Hollywood establishment and also feels they have too much control over the artist's vision or intent.

He's a rebel, man!

2-1B
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
So it would be a surprise to see him picketing with the striking members of the WGA, then?

stillakid
01-22-2008, 12:06 AM
So it would be a surprise to see him picketing with the striking members of the WGA, then?

You really think he'd want to walk that much?