PDA

View Full Version : Your Holy Grail............

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Maybe this has been posted, I dunno.

Whats your prized piece of vintage memorabilia?

Ill go first, although they arent really that great-

Blue Snaggletooth and my Zuckuss cardback with Mail Away Admiral Ackbar from Revenge of the Jedi.

Who's next, I cant wait to here these!!

Slicker
02-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Within the last months I've gotten into collecting vintage carded figures and I'm just gonna have to go with the first one that I bought and that was an ROTJ carded Rebel Commando. The bubble was slightly yellow but all in all it looks pretty good.

Kidhuman
02-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I would say my Ewok Village or Jabba the Hutt playset. Also alot of complete loose vintage figures in C8 + condition...

Hellboy
02-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Well my favorite items in my Vintage collection would probably come from my small collection of unpunched, C-9 grade or better carded figures. My personal favorite would be my Imperial Stormtrooper in Hoth Battle Gear on ESB card but my Death Squad Commander on a 12-back SW card is worth the most.

Ji'dai
02-28-2005, 05:51 PM
I've got some glossy paper inserts advertising 'Revenge of the Jedi' that Kenner included with some of the toys. Plus I have a ton of mini-catalogs from that era. My POTF and DROIDS figures and vehicles, although loose, are still in like-new condition.

I also have Ralph McQuarrie concept art portfolios for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. They are mass-produced reproductions but I've always liked them.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Well, it's always hard to choose, but here are some of my grails:

= Greedo (my second ever SW figure, he's so loose [ "how loose is he?" :p ] that he moves even when laying down in a carry case ;) )

= Blue Snaggs (got him in '87 for $4 [yes]; it rekindled my SW collecting)

= Snowspeeder (possibly my favorite vehicle I ever got)

= Vader carry case (covered with SW stickers, figure labels, and newspaper pictures)

All of these are "loved," i.e. well-played with and in decent/poor condition, and original purchases from "back in the day," except Blue Snaggs. But in terms of value, probably my carded Luke Trooper or Amanaman or A-Wing Pilot would net the most cash.

Fluke Skywalker
02-28-2005, 10:20 PM
I just bought my first carded vintage figure, Han Bespin ESB card. The item with the most sentimental value though is my ESB lunchbox (light blue version with movie photos) I have many memories tied in with that box.

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Wow, its awesome to read these, with so much sentiment. Ive read things like this on other sites and everyone bases things by how much they paid for it and whatnot. This is great.:)

bighead5
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
My holy grail consists of all 12 of the original 12 back carded figures MOMC.

My aunt bought them for me when I was a kid and decided to save them for when I got a little older. Well, luckily for me, she forgot about them, put them in her attic and found them again in 1991. She took some pictures of them and gave those to me for my birthday and told me that they were going to be my inheritance. I finally convinced her to give the figures to me in 1995 and that was the beginning of the end of my Star Wars collecting obsession as an adult. I'm still in disbelief as to what she did and how fortunate I am!

Blue2th
02-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I remember walking into a Walgreens back in 97 and picking up this odd looking Tie fighter for around 10 bucks. I tried to remember if I had seen it in one of the Star Wars movies. I thought it was the coolest looking Star Wars ship I had ever seen. Got it home and opened it up right away for display. It was an Action Fleet Tie Defender. I originally bought it for the cool factor. They sure went up in price since then. Never found another one. It's still my favorite Star Wars item.

bighead5
02-28-2005, 11:50 PM
I remember walking into a Walgreens back in 97 and picking up this odd looking Tie fighter for around 10 bucks. It was an Action Fleet Tie Defender.

You know, I had a similar story with the same toy but a totally different ending. I stopped by a Target store around '98 or '99 and I came across a Tie Defender sitting on the shelf. It was priced at $12.99 and even though I thought it was a really cool looking ship, I didn't buy it at that time because it was priced $3 more than every other store that carried the Action Fleet line. I figured I could come back and buy it later if I really wanted it anyway. I went home to check on ebay to see if it was worth anything and that's when I found out how rare it was so I ran back to the store as quickly as I could. By the time I got back to the store, of course, it was gone. I did, however, find an E-Wing a few days later and I gladly paid the extra $3 for that one without question... I kick myself every time I think about the Tie Defender. I wish I could pay $13 for the Tie Defender now. What a dumbass I was! To my defense, I was still in college at the time and I didn't have a ton of money so every dollar counted... that was my logic.

evenflow
03-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Its a tough choice, It could be my set of MOC Droids and Ewoks or my Kenner Bagged Walking Wind-Up R2, 12 inch Lili Ledy Tusken Raider, complete POTF coin set. I don't know one of those things would be the Holy Grail.

General_Grievous
03-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, for me, my vintage Holy Grail is probably the ROTJ Jabba the Hutt playset. It is the only vintage playset that I have and I got it in the box as well, from a neighbor who was giving away his old toys. It was loose in the box, but complete. That was part of the beginning of my vintage collection. The other part was the Vintage ANH Han Solo and Boba Fett that I bought for $8 each at a flea market.

stillakid
03-05-2005, 04:59 PM
I don't know if this counts, but my Holy Grail was the Don Post Deluxe Biker Scout helmet. Through sheer luck, I managed to find one and have proudly owned it for several years now.

While I also own the Don Post Deluxe Vader helmet, my new Holy Grail to be obtained is a Vader Reveal mask. These are custom made only and aren't easy to come by. But I will have one...oh yes...I will have one. :evil:

LusiferSam
03-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Man oh man is that hard to decide or what? I'll view this in three ways: Childhood items, figures purchased after 1988 (my last find of figures I played with as a kid was in '88), and vehicles/playsets/accessories purchased after 1988. I'll try and keep it to three items each.

Childhood items:
Yoda: My first figure. How can you not treasure your first figure? This little guy has been through a lot with but has lasted. Over the years he lost his snake (I'm 90% sure it was a rubbery brown one), his cane (I'm 75% sure it wasn't dark brown) and belt.

Royal Guard: I love this figure. The robes are just flat out the best. I don't know how I managed to this figure in as good a shape as he's in. He never went outside and never took a bath. Plus its one of the few figures I managed to keep complete.

Ewok Village: This is the coolest SW playset of the vintage line. I spent hour after hour playing with this. ROTJ, EU, non SW. There some damage to the set. The spit steaks are broken, as is the split for the peg and finally the sticker is missing for the fire pit. Not bad for a playset that saw 6 plus years of heavy play.

Figures purchased after 1988:
Jedi Luke: This was on of those figures I always wanted as kid, but never had. Now the figure I have may have a big paint chip on his nose, but its the accessories that are killer. I have a snap cape that as far as I can tell is real and a few years ago I picked up a real blue lightsaber off eBay, cheap.

Carbonite Han: Now this is the best vintage version Han Kenner made, but I think this figure is just too cool. How can you not dig the Carbonite Chamber? I love the idea and it works so well.

Imperial Dignitary: Bit of an odd ball figure, but my is in great shape.

Vehicles/playsets/accessories purchased after 1988:

Dagobah: Again one of those thing I always wanted as a kid, but never had. Dagobah was my first item purchased as a collector in 1995. Its 100% complete (as is most my stuff) with the foam in tacked.

A-Wing: Its rare, costs a lot and mine works. What more could you ask for.

Skiff: Again rare with a heavy price tag. But unlike the A-Wing I knew about vehicle and searched for it as a kid. Mine has some damage to the rails (mostly the left one) but is good shape other wise.

Death Star: I had to through one more playset in. As a playset the Death Star ok. I would never call it great. But set up and displayed, its another story. Plus finding a complete undamaged one is hard. Mine is complete, with some of the original trash, and only two broken columns.

Bossk77
03-28-2005, 12:10 AM
My holy grail's are the few vintage figures and my AtAT that i have had and kept ever since i was a child. A stormtrooper, Snow trooper ect... i have now passed them on to my 2 year old daughter who's eyes lit up like a pinball machine. They are her favorite toys. She also likes to pretend to conduct the orchistra through out all of the original movies. No brainwashing involved. lol

My other grail's are my Kennerbaged Amanaman, and Every version of Bossk ever made sealed still in the packages. Including the Mail In, ESB, JEDI and TRI LOGO.

Bantha274
04-06-2005, 09:23 AM
My Holy Grail(s):

-Vintage Darth Vader ANH carded
-Vintage Darth Vader ESB carded
-Vintage Darth Vader ROTJ carded
-Original Power of The Force Anakin Skywalker with gold collectors coin
graded C7+, carded (this is my most valuable carded figure, but my Vaders have more sentimental value)

LusiferSam
04-06-2005, 02:01 PM
My Holy Grail(s):

-Vintage Darth Vader ANH carded
-Vintage Darth Vader ESB carded
-Vintage Darth Vader ROTJ carded
-Original Power of The Force Anakin Skywalker with gold collectors coin
graded C7+, carded (this is my most valuable carded figure, but my Vaders have more sentimental value)
What's an ANH card? :crazed:
Cool. What kind of card backs are those on? And how yellowed is your Anakin's bubble? I've heard they're next to impossible to find unyellowed.

BanthaPoodoo
04-06-2005, 02:46 PM
My HOLY holy grail is the loose vintage Jedi Luke with Green saber. That and the loose Die-cast Millenium Falcon.

My not quite as holy grail is the small set of 15 or so vintage loose (with tight joints), complete, Star Wars figs:

Han Trench Coat, Leia Poncho, Leia Boussh, C-3P0 (Removable Limbs), Obi Wan (Gray Hair), Lando (w/teeth), Chewbacca, Rancor Keeper, Gamorrean Guard, Bib Fortuna, R2-D2 (w/scope), Stormtrooper, Darth Vader, Yoda (w/Brown Snake), Jawa (Cloth Robe), Bossk, IG-88, Wicket, Lomat, Teebo, Chief Chirpa, Logray, Paploo.. think that's it...

I have a DOH! moment every time I think of my mom selling my Jabba Playset, Rancor Monster, & Max Rebo Band.... arrrgghh...

hestep99
04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
My grail is my collection. It's not impressive at all but brings back so many memories when I crack it open. I remember getting my Rancor monster and feeding my princess leia figure to him (he also got some burger king fries). Everytime I play with it she would rattle around in his stomach. I was too young to fish her out and really didn't care. Then when I turned oh say about 15 about 9 years ago I got all my stuff out. Rancor still rattle and I fished my leia from the bowels of death but there where no fries. Haha.

Kidhuman
04-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Then when I turned oh say about 15 about 9 years ago I got all my stuff out. Rancor still rattle and I fished my leia from the bowels of death but there where no fries. Haha.

A princess has to eat too.

jedi_uk73
04-21-2005, 04:51 PM
If I had to put it down to one item as a holy grail..... it would have to be my AFA 85 Revenge Luke Hoth proof card.....

Out of my whole collection..... which includes a set of 96 MOC...... that would be the only item I wouldn't part with........

Dunno why for sure, but possibly be down to being a pre production item.....and being such a cool card..

darthCDitty
04-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Would be a toss up between my Unpunched AFA 85 21 back Boba Fett and my Unpunched AFA 85 20 back Power Droid.... You might think i am crazy for putting these two in the same category, but the Power Droid in that condition is extremely rare, Tom from Cloudcity.com says he only knows of 2 out there graded an AFA 85...

JON9000
04-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Would be a toss up between my Unpunched AFA 85 21 back Boba Fett and my Unpunched AFA 85 20 back Power Droid.... You might think i am crazy for putting these two in the same category, but the Power Droid in that condition is extremely rare, Tom from Cloudcity.com says he only knows of 2 out there graded an AFA 85...
Does AFA have a population count for the piece?

darthCDitty
04-26-2005, 02:18 AM
No they don't publish them yet, but you can call and ask them and sometimes they will provide you with that info...

tagmac
04-26-2005, 10:41 PM
My "Holy Grail" would have to be my loose Han in Carbonite. From the minute I saw the back of the POTJ cards, this was THE one I wanted. While I was away at my grandmother's, my younger brother told me he saw it at KB, but my parents wouldn't get it. By the time I got home a few days later and went back, it was gone, and I was upset. By sheer luck, I found one in TRU a couple weeks later, all the way on the top peg. Success!!

The Skiff is another grail that I found by sheer luck in TRU back in '86, but the re-release a few years ago kinda' took away from it now. Still, back then the Sarlaac battle was my favorite part of the trilogy, and I couldn't wait to open my skiff and start re-creating that scene with my toys.

Blue Snaggletooth and Stormtrooper Luke are also up there, although I got them a couple years ago in a comic shop, and paid $200 for each. Definitely not something I would do again.

Of the more recent stuff, the KB Exclusive 12" Luke/Han Stormtroopers (got this only because I had worked there the year before, and one of the guys held one of the 6 they got in for me), the Diamond Exclusive Sandtrooper (walked into the comic shop between classes, and they still had one of the two each store was alotted), and the current ROTS Red Guard, which I picked out of a freshly opened case at Target on 4/2, of which the rest of the cases only had the Blue Guard.

darko666
04-27-2005, 02:50 AM
gotta go with my Vader Case. it is completely filled with vintage figures. it's hard to close the case. i've been collecting these figures since i was a kid. i have a couple of figures on cards such as: 8D8, Rancor Keeper, Gamorrean Guard and Ree Yees. if i get Boba Fett on a card, then that will top my list.

bigbarada
05-17-2005, 05:53 PM
About two years ago I stumbled upon the 1984 Jabba's Dungeon Playset with Amanaman, Barada and EV-9D9! I bought it from a guy in one of my classes who was selling old Star Wars toys out of a box in the trunk of his car to help pay for those miscellaneous college expenses (I hate those!).

The figures aren't in great condition (average about C-7 or 8) but it's one of the items in my collection that I'm most proud of.

trandoshan666
05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I have always cherished my Milennium Falcon, which I'm proud to say is still in near-perfect condition. As far as figures are concerned, there's always been something special about that Emperor's Royal Guard for me. Of the scads of figures I have in my SW room, I probably look at that one the most. The piece of my collection that probably has the most sentimental value for me is the Rancor. That's because I vividly recall saving my allowance and doing odd jobs to get enough money to buy it myself. At around 10 years old, it was the first "major purchase" I ever made.

Monstermile
05-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't have my "Holy Grail" anymore. It used to be my C-9 unpunched 31 back IG-88. Unfortunantly due to financial reasons I had to sell it along with my 12 back Vader and Chewbacca several years ago. Maybe one day I will try to replace it with a comparable piece.

sjd9299
05-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Like you all, it is hard to make a choice here. So many cool vintage items. I am not a mint condition kind of guy, so I have hardly any mint items. But the one mint item I do have is a MIMSB ROTJ Han/Luke blaster. This thing is so flawless that it makes brand new stuff looked scuffed up. I got it off ebay for only $40. It was a bad picture and was not described well. I thought I was basically getting a loose blaster with a box. I love those surprizes. So I would say this is my holy grail. My dream item is a mint Imperial Shuttle with a nice box. I have a slightly yellow shuttle and no box now.

Lazer Brain
05-31-2005, 02:57 PM
my favorite piece is my Die cast Tie Bomber.