PDA

View Full Version : Are you saving up for Midnight Madness?

JediTricks
02-28-2005, 12:53 PM
With the official release date of Episode III toys only a month away (April 2nd) and news of 40 different figures, half a dozen vehicles, 9 Lego sets, and much much more being available on that first day alone, there is no question that there are a lot of Revenge of the Sith products to be had -- and that's not even taking into account the cost of the Star Wars Celebration III convention later that month. But with just a rough estimate, collectors who want everything are staring down the barrel of a $500 minimum receipt - certainly not a pricetag to sneeze at, even with reports of some of the Ep III basic figures already being leaked out early. So how are collectors going to deal with it, are you saving your pennies now, not planning for your Star Wars future and going to hope your card doesn't max out, or just going to avoid Midnight Madness altogether and wait for possible sales and clearances?

plasticfetish
02-28-2005, 01:11 PM
"No, I'll just play it by ear."

I'll probably wander out and pick up a few things, but I'm not going to freak-out and buy everything at once. Might be nice to draw this one out a bit, since we're never going to be doing this whole movie/toy release thing again.

waboritas
02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Skipping it altogether

I will wait for the sales. It happens every time. I'll wait and get what they charge $6-8/figure at MM for $2-4 later this year. Patience=$ in my pocket. I'll take what I get on the cheap.

Lazer Brain
02-28-2005, 01:50 PM
yes, i am saving some, i like to get my carded set asap, then look for bargains for my loose set.
later

Kidhuman
02-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes, saving some money and working OT for it

Slicker
02-28-2005, 02:23 PM
I voted saving money but it's more like I have enough money and I'm trying not to spend it on stupid adventures before April 2nd.

JediTricks
02-28-2005, 02:31 PM
I voted saving money but it's more like I have enough money and I'm trying not to spend it on stupid adventures before April 2nd.
That's still saving your money, just not saving your INCOME.

I voted to play it by ear, I suck at saving and I already know I won't be getting everything on MM (if ever), so I'm just going to hope I have a little scratch by then. It's a pitiful plan, but it's what I did with the previous 2 MMs. ;)

skeeziks22
02-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Man, I haven't been on these forums for a while.

I voted that I'm saving... more like I'm selling more to have more flexible spending money. Thinning out the old collection (duplicates etc.) to make room and money for the new.

Hellboy
02-28-2005, 04:17 PM
"Yes, I'm actively saving up for it"

I've been anticipating MM for some time now by limiting my toy buying over the last few months and putting a little away when I can. I still can't afford to buy everything I want on April 2nd but I am planning on getting all of the basic assortment of figures for my loose and carded collection and maybe a couple of 12" figures if they look nice. Initially I'll be skipping all of the vehicles and buying those later since they're easy finds and I'll probably cut out collecting anything from the Deluxe lines and Lego sets altogether.

Ji'dai
02-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Like the last two times, I'm avoiding MM altogether for the Episode III release. There is really no reason for me to go shopping for toys at midnight when I find everything the next day (or week, month, year after that...)

I think I'm going to hold off on the figures this year until I've seen the movie or just wait for a collection sale on eBay. Vehicles always shelf-warm so it will be no problem getting them on clearance after christmas.

I always buy LEGO when it goes on clearance so it'll be late December - early January 2006 before I start buying any ROTS stuff.

Turbowars
02-28-2005, 06:27 PM
That's still saving your money, just not saving your INCOME.

I voted to play it by ear, I suck at saving and I already know I won't be getting everything on MM (if ever), so I'm just going to hope I have a little scratch by then. It's a pitiful plan, but it's what I did with the previous 2 MMs. ;)Yep, that's what I'll be doing. I really don't think there's going to be as many figures as everyone thinks. They will probably have about 20 if we are lucky. My plan is to get as may Clones and all bad dudes. I really can careless for the Jedi. I will also get a few 12" if they look good, but that's it.

dr_evazan22
02-28-2005, 06:46 PM
I'll be playing it by ear. Last time around I found fig's early, maybe I will again. If not, that's OK. I primarily want to get the 12" ASAP as distribution and production levels seem kind of iffy (last July I found Garindin in TN. Didn't see anything else from that line since, until about a month ago Jawa's and Garindin started showing up here in DE at TRU. No Yoda or Scout Trooper though).

At C1 I went to TRU for MM and wasn't able to get a 12" Maul. The next morning at Target I watched a guy pick the last one off the shelf. I wasn't worried 'cause I could get one at home. Never saw him again, still don't have him.

thomasandrea-call
02-28-2005, 07:16 PM
For EP I I waited until the day, there was no store in my area that was doing a MM. For AOTC I went to a 24 hour Wal-Mart with my then two year old son and Wife at Midnight. I thought it was no big deal. My son is now 5 and he insist on getting the figures as soon as he can. That means yet another MM for us.

Don't get me wrong I have been a fan since I was 7 in 1977 and saw the first movie on the big screen, maybe it is just my old age that I need more sleep. I answered to saving up due to the fact that we buy basically two collections; one for my son and one for me.

I'm not a huge fan of the ships but I have to say that the ARC 170 Fighter (Tri-wing) is looking really nice. I might have to pick up a few of those.
B

Stephen Hemmert
02-28-2005, 07:28 PM
I'll be playing it by ear. I'm having a difficult time accepting an increase of $2 per figure. Although, it is not a financial hardship, the increase cannot be justified, and I think this will seriously impact sales to the casual collector and definitely the family that actually opens and plays with the figures. Hasbro, go down the toy aisles and compare the products available for the same price. At $4.99 I'd buy them all! At $6.99 I feel I will be eating alot of plastic in a few years. Remember the $80 Princess Leia's.

bobafrett
02-28-2005, 07:52 PM
I haven't saved for it, unless you consider keeping a chunk of credit open on my credit card for the day. I am keeping one of my credit cards with an open $1,000 on it, not all of which will be for the EPIII toys, but I want to be sure I have enough to get what I WANT!

pbarnard
02-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Avoiding it altogether...

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Hasbro you don't get a third time.

Blue2th
02-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Yes actively saving money for MM and after, but not concerned with getting mint cards, as I will be buying for my loose collection. There will be alot of scrambling and damaged cards, better for me. I would like to get some 12 inch figures in nice boxes though. I hope the 12 inch line is as good as the sneak peek pictures.

mastermatt24
02-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Ive been saving my quarters for quite awhile.. At last count I had $65.75. I have at least $200 after that and I still have another month to save. I want the lego stuff but I dont because most of the sets just parallel what hasbro is putting out. Ill probably only get figures+unleahsed. :)

Tycho
02-28-2005, 09:55 PM
I set money aside for this that I'd been saving up since the end of last summer.

Meanwhile, I've spent some of that already because I've found the figures early and I can tell you that there will be 32 figures available between now and April 2nd.

vemnox
02-28-2005, 11:02 PM
I'll get what I can get. :)

dindae
03-01-2005, 07:59 AM
I getting more excited as we get closer. I think I will have enough come the day. I really depends on wether it is 24 or 40 figures hitting the store. Im sure I will get it all though. The only real factor will be how many troopers I buy.

DARTH T-BONE
03-01-2005, 08:07 AM
I always seem to do better after the madness. I end up getting everything anyway. I actually scored this past weekend. One of my Wal-Marts had 13 of the new ROTS figs in addition to the new Unleashed wave (IG-88, Stormtrooper, and Aurra Sing).

CaptainSolo1138
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I'll go to MM mostly for the fun of it. The only thing I MUST have is "Darth Tater". Other than that I might buy a fig or two. It all depends on the financial situation or lack thereof.

Tycho
03-01-2005, 12:41 PM
One of my Wal-Marts had 13 of the new ROTS figs in addition to the new Unleashed wave (IG-88, Stormtrooper, and Aurra Sing).

13? What did you buy an extra of a certain figure? I got 12 different ones when they stocked them early. Sure I bought like 35 figures, but 2/3 of them were duplicates for my friends in my collecting group.

LusiferSam
03-01-2005, 01:23 PM
I won't even go near midnight madness (I'm not even sure if they have it where I live). I'm not even sure what, if any ROTS stuff I'm going to buy. I lost in interest in Hasbro's stuff two years ago and I'm not too keen on Lego's stuff ROTS stuff right now. I'm might get one or two the best figures just to say I have rotting figures.

El Chuxter
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm saving, but for my down payment for a house. That's a bit more important to me than a bunch of figures and vehicles I'll be able to pick up at my leisure over the summer (and probably fall and well into 2006). I'm not even sure if I'm wasting time and effort at a midnight madness sale or just stopping by the next day. I'll probably pick up the books and most of the figures. Possibly a vehicle. I'm very, very iffy on that.

jedi master sal
03-01-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm saving, but only buying certain figures. (Out of the first 24 there are only 10 that I want fairly quickly and of those only 3 that I absolutely must have on MM.) I can get all of the ships later. Though I might buy an ARC-170. They just look cool. Of the 12 inch figs, I'll definitely get Grievous and the Clone trooper.

I'm actually a little mre psyched about getting alot of the food product labels than the toys this time around. The biggest main factor is pricepoint. Had these been the normal $5 per fig we've been used to paying, I may have sprung for them all. As it were with the way the previous two movie lines went, I know I can wait to pick them up on sale, thereby not worrying about the little extra I'll pay for those I REALLY want come MM.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! well maybe...
-Sal

DARTH T-BONE
03-01-2005, 07:37 PM
13? What did you buy an extra of a certain figure? I got 12 different ones when they stocked them early. Sure I bought like 35 figures, but 2/3 of them were duplicates for my friends in my collecting group.

My bad. 12 it was. With 2 AT-TE Tank Gunners (thought those made it 14).

JediTricks
03-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Tycho, besides the 36, don't forget that there are also 3 deluxes and 2 2packs.

General_Grievous
03-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm gradually saving up money. I just hope that there are only 24 figures released during MM or else I might be up a certain creek without a paddle, because apart from the figures, I also want to buy:

-The Deluxe figures
-12 inch Grievous
-Unleashed Grievous
-Books
-Most of the vehicles (except the Gunship)

Darth Meow
03-08-2005, 02:26 PM
I went shopping early the next morning last time and wound up getting some of the "rare" 3 3/4" figures, with inserts, etc. This time, though, I want to be in line at midnight. Hey, folks, this is the LAST Star Wars movie--and the last of the great hoopla surrounding it. I, for one, don't want to miss one minute of it.lol