PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Starfighter Boxed Pics

kit fristo
01-04-2002, 07:36 AM
man ohh man. ive just seen a boxed pic of the jedi starfighter. also a real jango figure as well as a real obiwan figure as well a real dooku saber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JEDIpartner
01-04-2002, 10:56 AM
"And what???!!! You didn't have the decency to save the files and post them here in this thread??? Oy! What are we? Gefelte fish?!! You treat us so badly!"

Get those pics on this thread KIT!!!! What are you thinking????

JediCole
01-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Or at the very least, have the REAL courtesy to inform your fellow SSG members of the website where you SAW the figures and toys. Posting a notice that you saw something that others may find interesting, especially in the case of images of upcoming toys, is of little consequence without something to back it up. Otherwise it just comes across as unprincipled post-padding and is frankly a waste of space for a thread. Please follow up with further information, images, and/or links or I will eleminate this thread as inconseqential.
Your EII Toy Moderator,
JediCole

INDIANA
01-04-2002, 02:04 PM
The pics were at Artoonews. Looked really cool, but not a great scan of the figures toward the bottom.

Beast
01-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Anyone get a copy of it before it was taken down, please post it. Ive happened to catch everytime somthing was shown, but I woke up late and it doesn't seem the picture was up very long. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Forum Member
01-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Here they are, the ones from artoosnews!!!

Thank me later :)

http://www.geocities.com/no_posed_crap_please/

Forum Member
01-04-2002, 02:39 PM
http://www.geocities.com/no_posed_crap_please/

the ones from artoosnews.com! Check em out quick before they are taken down too :)

Jek Porky 2002
01-04-2002, 02:43 PM
I really want to thank you now, THANKYOU!:D

Beast
01-04-2002, 03:37 PM
Here ya guys go, images of the awesome Jedi Starfighter. This a photo of the front of the box. Can't wait for this one, hope someone slips us photos of somemore of the figures soon.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Here ya guys go, images of the awesome Jedi Starfighter. This a photo of the back of the box. Notice the pictures of the Slave 1 and the Jango Fett and Mace Windu figures, as well as the Anakin and Dooku sabers! Cool beans!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

orion
01-04-2002, 04:03 PM
I can't tell . . . but . . .

Do y'all think the wings look thick enough to hold an Astromech Droid? :confused:

SirSteve
01-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Man I wish I could show everything I have......................

CrossWizard
01-04-2002, 04:10 PM
Looks damn cool, especially with the droid. Now I hope the figures we have seen so far(Obi Wan, Jango) are just Deluxe versions cause with those poses and articulation it will be quite hard to get them to fit inside the ships properly.

StarWarsToys
01-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Very cool! I like this vehicle! :D :D :D

Darth Ludicrous
01-04-2002, 04:33 PM
This is probably the first EP2 toy I've seen that gives me some hope for this line, in that it represents an apparent (if not mild)improvement over Hasbro's EP1 efforts.

Unlike the non-selling, non-interesting non-fun EP1 Naboo fighter, the "flagship" of the vehicle line this time around will apparently include pretty neat paint aps and some detailed working parts (retractable landing gear, cockpit details, etc.), not to mention some "playability" (thanks to the transforming gimmick). I'm still not happy with Hasbro's approach to Astrodroids, and I don't think that cockpit hinge is accurate (didn't it slide forward in the select photo?), but it looks like a decent effort.

The packaging is pretty neat. Between the similar ship and the blue color scheme, this piece is very reminiscent of the vintage DROIDS A-Wing.

A few questions:

1) Any indication we'll get an Obi-Wan that can fit in the cockpit? The coruscant chase figure had a very wide stance, and it's odd that no pilot is pictured on the box. One of those big honking pilot helmets would have been a nice additional accessory, by the way.

2) Are the missiles on the front of the box from the Slave-1 toy? Does that confirm the rumored mid-section missile launchers? I played with this image but still think it it tough to tell whether that slave-1 is a repaint of the vintage or not. It appears longer than the vintage mold, and the wings look much different. It does appear to have better laser cannons, if nothing else.

3) Anybody else think that if you stand this toy on its nose it looks kind of like the Slave-1? Something about the round shape and domed cockpits make these two ships look very similar. If you look at the slave-1 on the back of the box it could almost be an overhead picture of a blue jedi starfighter.

JediCole
01-04-2002, 04:37 PM
The "fight mode" is visually interesting (puts me in the mind of a daggar), but it begs the question, is this ligitimate (does it appear on film) or is it more Hasbro gimickry? Does anyone know for sure?

Also, the shape of Dooku's sabre (on the back) explains the unusual way he appears to be holding his sabre in one of the new pictures that have surfaced.

Beast
01-04-2002, 04:51 PM
My theroy on the whole Astromech thing is that the body is only used for matinence and for locomotion, and the droids "brain" is in the dome. That makes it a possibility that the Jedi starfighter droids are seperated at the dome and attached to the ship mounting socket before launch.

When the ship arrived at a port, it's quite possible that the head could be detached and connected to another host astomech body, until needed for another trip. Quick, conveniant, and allows for a more streamlined and compact vessel.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sean the Hutt
01-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Hey thats cool you have pics. The ship looks like the old GI Joe star fighter, or cobra stilleto. very similar molds....hmmmm. I am really not excited at the slave 1 ship. It looks as if hasbro has used the same old mold, shame on them. Let's hope there is some salvation in at least one of the ships some where.

GNT
01-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Notice the pictures of the Slave 1 and the Jango Fett and Mace Windu figures, as well as the Anakin and Dooku sabers! Cool beans!

I believe thats Jango Fett and Obi Wan :p

Not bad,I reall dig it :)

wickettt
01-04-2002, 08:44 PM
I just went to Artoosnews site, and although the pics are gone, it looks like they have placed some cool info about other E2 toys, especially the Slave 1!!! And yes, from what they say, it DOES have missles that fire-awesome!

bigbarada
01-04-2002, 10:21 PM
What I find curious is no mention of pack-in figures. Are we to assume that there will be a carded Obi-Wan figure that will actually fit in that thing?

stillakid
01-04-2002, 11:42 PM
We can't get Darth Maul's ship or the hordes of cool looking pod racers, but we're left with this piece of crap? The Naboo figher had some art to it, but this looks like a larger version of a ship from my Micromachines collection or a rejected concept from Battlestar Galactica.

And Slave I? What's that doing in the prequels? Not only does it not belong anywhere but ESB, do I really need a repainted Slave I to join my other 2 (vintage and completely copied rerelease)?

How depressing.

JediTricks
01-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Ludicrous, you make an excellent point, how will any Obi-Wan figure we've seen so far fit in that thing? I hope Hasbro releases a figure that actually fits this thing, but so far, everything we've seen points to "no".

This toy looks pretty cool, the transformed mode looks a little like the Sith Infiltrator from Ep 1. I don't have anything against the Naboo Fighter toy from Ep 1 line, but this looks more like a Star Wars toy to me.

Tycho
01-05-2002, 03:46 AM
What?! Jedi Tricks, you are hoping for a RESCULPT!?

That was the point of the soft-goods wave last time, gentlemen.

(Not that I enjoyed being fed the same figures over and over again - as niether did you).

They should pack the figures in with the vehicles! (The first time around if they wanted 'playability figures' they could've packed softgoods Obi-Wan with the Flash Speeder - even if he didn't use it in the movie. It would make sense as long as the theory is kids are recreating the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi and not "the Exciting Life of a Naboo Royal Security Officer.")

It troubles me that by the sheer look of that (TOTALLY AWESOME) fighter, we are already on Obi-Wan resculpt #1 before the figures even see release. (They did that last time too, but the molded cloaked Naboo Jedi were figures I was looking forward to).

Also note that any Kenobi, Skywalker etc that you want in a yellow speeder must be 'softgoods' or appropriately pliable/articulate. And the rocket packs must be removeable from both the Fett boys to fit any old or new version of Slave-One's cockpit.

STILLAKID - time to grow up SILLYKID (j.k.) - Slave-One has to come from somewhere. The ship is a vintage classic by the time it survives to be in ESB. It's cool seeing it when it was new!

JarJar - good droid theory.

JediCole - I read everything I could about E2 plot but nothing comes up about Obi-Wan doing anything but fleeing Jango as shown in the trailer. The action feature is kind of cool though. Maybe we'll see them use it in Episode 3. (Stillakid, close your eyes, LOL)

evenflow
01-05-2002, 08:44 AM
I like the new packaging, nice.

Jargo
01-05-2002, 09:10 AM
If you don't like the convertible then don't convert it. Just leave the wings in place and then pretend it's all one piece. The droid is a silly idea. It's only there for the sake of it. A starfighter doesn't need a droid it has an onboard computer. R2 could move around the x-wing to be useful and fix little things. This droid is just a head glued on because it looks cute. and so Obi has someone to converse with and extrapolate the current plot point or whatever. Lame ideas George.

Slave-1 is only going to suck if there's no opening canopy and that big pull out panel at the back is still there. I hate the mechanism for getting fett into slave-1, it just stinks. From the unboxed pics that gooney bird posted it looks like the guns and wings are new sculpts though. Nicely detailed touches. And i like the new paint job too. Strangely enough, go faster stripes down the side of Slave-1 really looks so especially smart and cool..... :rolleyes They should have used the ESB colours but neatened them up and made them look fresh.

But to be honest, neither of these ships does it for me. How are Hasbro going to get round the pointy end of the starfighter if they had to give the naboo fighter a mr. softee tail fin? Surely it can't pass any safety standards with that letal looking point at the front?
No, I'm waiting for the coruscant speeders. Smaller vehicles are my thing. Persoanal speeders like the swoop and dooku's speeder. Small is good big is just unweildly. Unless it happens to be a sandcrawler with jawa..... :)

chewie
01-05-2002, 10:42 AM
I for one don't mind seeing OT starships in the PT, we still fly planes that are 30 years old (or older) today so this can definitely be seen as normal practice in the SW universe as well. I thought we'd have seen more OT ships in TPM and AOTC, but at least there is some.

From what I've read I don't think we see Obi-Wan use the attack mode of the starfighter either in the movie. Possibly other jedi use it, but I don't think Obi-Wan does himself.

stillakid
01-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
STILLAKID - time to grow up SILLYKID (j.k.) - Slave-One has to come from somewhere. The ship is a vintage classic by the time it survives to be in ESB. It's cool seeing it when it was new!

Yeah, sure all the stuff in the OT has a history, but do we have to be subjected to it all? If that's the reasoning, then where are the pre-xwings, the pre-TIE Fighters, the pre-Star Destroyers, the pre-Sand Crawlers, the pre-land speeders, the pre-Blockade Runners, the pre-Millenium Falcon, the pre-Twin Pod Cloud Cars, the pre-A Wings, the pre-Y wings, the pre-B Wings, the pre-AT ST's, the pre- AT AT's, the pre- Snow Speeders...all with spiffy new paint jobs as they were right after rolling off the assembly line.

You see, the cool part of the saga had been that this stuff was assumed to be old and used. In particular, the bounty hunters were mysterious guys that were assembled from the great unknown with mysterious pasts. The hardware they had and the ships they flew were just as mysterious, possibly assembled from spare parts or highly modified from some other pre-fab ship. Much like what we are led to believe about the Millenium Falcon.

Now we see that the Slave I is nothing more than lil' Boba's hand-me-down Buick from dear ol dad. Lame.

So where's the historical record of IG-88 and his ship, or Zuckuss, or the Cantina Bartender or Greedo and his past (oh yeah, in the scraps of EP I)? They were all in the OT. Why aren't we treated to their various childhoods too? And all of their past modes of transportation. Silly thought, huh? I agree. All of this stuff can probably be found in Expanded Universe literature already. And that's where it should stay, including the Fett family.

chewie
01-05-2002, 11:46 AM
Look at it this way. The Slave-1 survives the PT & the OT (albeit without a Fett to pilot it). If they ever make a sequel trilogy, it could be in those as well. :D

Tycho
01-05-2002, 03:38 PM
Stilakid: most of the classic ships we see have experienced 18 years of war, or at least 5 good years of hardcore combat by the time we see them. Equipment we have in Afghanistan right now is both new, and probably not looking that great anymore. OK?

Now I understand you: some of the mystery is gone. You like the mystery. Well the prequels are not about a mystery - things are being explained, midichlorians and the Force even.

Better get used to this now: You will not like ANY of the prequels. I can forsee it. (at least for this reason). Characters with relevant pasts will be explained too, no doubt.

You seem to want to see World War II with ingnorance of the fact that there was World War ONE.

Anyway, I can't "make you like the prequels." But I do, and my guess is you might not - ever. I don't know. It's not my purvue to pursuade you - just to curb so much of this hostility, anger, etc. that seems to catch on in these forums from time to time (and I have bones to pick with the E2 figures myself) but I wanted to explain what should be the obvious when somebody was blasting both rockets off about a topic and ignoring the reasons for why there is" what they don't like."

bigbarada
01-05-2002, 05:49 PM
I think it's cool that we'll be seeing Boba's history and the Slave 1 in it's pristine condition. I assume that this was planned by George from the beginning; but his insistence on adding unnecessary origins (Threepio, Artoo, Greedo) and ridiculous coincidences (Anakin blowing up the Droid Control Ship similar to Luke blowing up the Death Star) has worn many of us out on OT stuff showing up.

I for one used to really hate Boba, mainly a backlash to all the Boba Fett worship that went on before EU effectively smothered him. Now I see that he does have a history and a part to play in the bigger picture and I am really beginning to like the character. So if his inclusion in the prequels has turned one hater into a fan, can it be all bad?

I know the mystery is gone; but that's the part about him I never liked to begin with, so it doesn't bother me.

Tycho
01-05-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I for one used to really hate Boba, mainly a backlash to all the Boba Fett worship that went on before EU effectively smothered him. Now I see that he does have a history and a part to play in the bigger picture and I am really beginning to like the character. So if his inclusion in the prequels has turned one hater into a fan, can it be all bad?

I know the mystery is gone; but that's the part about him I never liked to begin with, so it doesn't bother me.

BIG BARADA: My Senitments Exactly!

I do disagree with you about R2 and C-3PO (they are SW icons and belong there). Greedo does not and doesn't count because it was a deleted scene! George decided against that (I only HOPE that it was because it made Greedo too old by the time we saw him in ANH).

As far as Anakin's "Ooops" - hmmm. I think maybe any kid from our video game age would have turned the guns on Bid Laden from some F-A 18 they somehow snuck into. Anakin just acted like a kid and shot everything he had. The torps on an N-1 are heat seakers (at least in Rogue Squadron's video game) and the reactor generates a lot of heat. Anakin's natural pod racing reflexes helped him not splat into the walls when he was hit and first navigated the Trade Federation ship. On his way out, he simply applied those skills and remembered his way in. Nothing "really Luke Skywalker" about it. At the most basic level, Anakin flew into a superstructure and knocked out the main reactor. Luke, Wedge, Lando - they each PLANNED to do that. I think if Anakin didn't get the power back on, his next scene would have been to cry for his mom. Lucas restructuring the basic elements that work, yeah? So....If LUKE actually knew the basics that his father flew into "a satelite of death" and achieved what he was trying to do at Yavin, the pressure would be even more intense. Maybe Obi-Wan told him that part - who knows (Jedi Clint just whispered "But Obi-Wan Lies!!!!") Yet Lucas showed that Anakin got lucky sort of, though everyone expects him to use the Force. Though he didn't. Then Obi-Wan gets off telling Luke to use the Force on his torpedo run before - well it hadn't been done before by anyone planning to do it! That makes Luke's achievement all the more incredible. Anakin didn't know what he shouldn't have been able to do (without extreme training) because Anakin never set out to do that. Accidents will happen when you let children play with powertools....

stillakid
01-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Stilakid: most of the classic ships we see have experienced 18 years of war, or at least 5 good years of hardcore combat by the time we see them. Equipment we have in Afghanistan right now is both new, and probably not looking that great anymore. OK?

Now I understand you: some of the mystery is gone. You like the mystery. Well the prequels are not about a mystery - things are being explained, midichlorians and the Force even.

Better get used to this now: You will not like ANY of the prequels. I can forsee it. (at least for this reason). Characters with relevant pasts will be explained too, no doubt.

You seem to want to see World War II with ingnorance of the fact that there was World War ONE.

Anyway, I can't "make you like the prequels." But I do, and my guess is you might not - ever. I don't know. It's not my purvue to pursuade you - just to curb so much of this hostility, anger, etc. that seems to catch on in these forums from time to time (and I have bones to pick with the E2 figures myself) but I wanted to explain what should be the obvious when somebody was blasting both rockets off about a topic and ignoring the reasons for why there is" what they don't like."

Yeah, I know. This thread is supposed to be about the toys ONLY. SO SORRY for offending the thread police. I'll move a response to a new Topic.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2717

GNT
01-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Yeah, sure all the stuff in the OT has a history, but do we have to be subjected to it all? If that's the reasoning, then where are the pre-xwings, the pre-TIE Fighters, the pre-Star Destroyers, the pre-Sand Crawlers, the pre-land speeders, the pre-Blockade Runners, the pre-Millenium Falcon, the pre-Twin Pod Cloud Cars, the pre-A Wings, the pre-Y wings, the pre-B Wings, the pre-AT ST's, the pre- AT AT's, the pre- Snow Speeders...all with spiffy new paint jobs as they were right after rolling off the assembly line.

Well I'd say the Jedi Starfighter is a pre-Star Destroyer,The SandCrawler makes an appearance in EP1 and now in EP2,Lukes Landspeeder did make an appearance in EP1

Need I go on? :rolleyes:

bigbarada
01-05-2002, 08:18 PM
The way I see it, by the time ANH rolled around most of the vehicles we saw are nearly antiques. I would expect to see stuff like the Landspeeders, Sandcrawlers, Y-Wings, Slave 1 and Millenium Falcon in the post Ep1 prequel timeframe. However, we don't necessarily need to see all of them on screen.

I can see stillakid's point about the lost intrigue of Boba and his Slave 1; but since I never found him intriguing until seeing all the Ep2 pics then I guess I can't really relate as far as Fett is concerned. However, I guess my reluctance to see Han Solo or Chewie or the Millenium Falcon in the prequels would be comparable. If the Millenium Falcon shows up in Ep3 then I'll know exactly how you feel stillakid.

Tycho, I guess it could be said that the Force guided Anakin unwittingly to destroy the Trade Federation Control Ship. To me, though, it just seemed like GL trying too hard to sell Anakin to OT fans. I heard what he said about it being comparable to poetry and the similar situations "rhyming;" but I think it just cheapens the story to have so many coincidences.

chewie
01-05-2002, 09:18 PM
I've seen so much Boba Fett since 1980 that I'm sick to death of Boba Fett! :) No more Fett!

Jargo
01-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by GNT

Well I'd say the Jedi Starfighter is a pre-Star Destroyer,The SandCrawler makes an appearance in EP1 and now in EP2,Lukes Landspeeder did make an appearance in EP1

The Jedi starfighter can't be a precursor to the star destroyer. It's like saying that a coracle is the precursor to the Titanic! The Jedi Starfighter could feasibly be a precursor to the A-wing, in the same way that the Tie fighter vader uses is supposed to be the precursor to the Tie interceptor. Star destroyer my backside!!!:mad: The Republic cruiser that we've seen the Clonetroopers boarding in the trailer is the precursor to the Star destroyers. Nothing more nothing less.

The Sandcrawler is there because it was left by the pioneer miners who first landed and settled on Tatooine. the Jawas just reclaimed them and put them to use for scrap metal smelting instead of mineral ore.

The Landspeeder wasn't Luke's but it was the same model. Luke himself admits that his speeder is antiquated but it really shouldn't have been around in TPM as Luke makes it sound like it's only a few years out of date, not thirty odd. Something doesn't equate there I think. Especially as the landspeeder we see in TPM already looks beat up and ancient.

Nothing wrong with vehicles showing up in the prequels as long as there's a reason for them being there other than just needing something to fill a gap in the designs.
Having something like the Twin pod cloud cars show up would be just plain tardy on the design departments part. They wouldn't fit in at all as they are specifically designed to fit with cloud city and it's environment. The OT design team didn't think about them being used elsewhere and that's the beauty of the OT design work, Everything is organically designed. The prequels are just rehashed designs from the OT shoved into whatever spaces are left wanting a design. Yeah there's a few new designs but there's a heck of a lot of unneccesarily utilised OT stuff wedged in for conveniences sake.

Anyway, back to the starfighter - um, I actually don't have anything constructive to say about it right now apart from "nice color scheme......" :D

GNT
01-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The Landspeeder wasn't Luke's but it was the same model.

Especially as the landspeeder we see in TPM already looks beat up and ancient.

The one used in TPM was the same one Luke used in ANH,just with a "new" paint deco. :)

stillakid
01-05-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by GNT

Yes, go on. I don't buy it and nobody else seems to either.

Besides, you've taken my statement and quoted it out of context making it seem like I've said something that I didn't. The point was in response to Tycho's assertion that because it was in the original trilogy then it was fair game to be seen in the prequels because it had to come from somewhere.

So I am merely questioning the rationale of having to blatantly illustrate the history of every character and ship from the original trilogy when their (or it's) role is secondary to the primary plot. Fett's inclusion into the prequels is silly, but having the ship in there is just plain idiotic. Just a moment of nostalgia for the folks, "ah, I remember that ship!" Much like in Ep I, when Tanaka reads off the "droid's" number: "R2-D2." The only point to that bad writing was for the mass audience to go "ah, I remember him. Yeah! The cute little robot is back. I feel good all over again."

Geesh.:rolleyes:

Tycho
01-05-2002, 11:56 PM
I stand by what I said, but I don't think the Falcon needs to be in the prequels, and I hope it is not. The first time we see it (in its entirety is when Luke says "What a piece of junk!" I like the Docking Bay 94 sequence and it works, but it doesn't interfere with a focus on the ship, because all eyes are on Jabba in that cut.

Meanwhile, I doubt we'll see T-47's (airspeeders they made snowspeeders out of) - but we might. Cloud Cars are not indiginous to Cloud City (Bespin Motors exports them) however I'd like them to stay as an original element of Cloud City in ESB and ROTJ: SE. And the rest goes on like that.

The Jedi Starfighter was "wedged out" so that it would look like Palpatine ordered his enforcer cruisers, Star Destroyers, to take the shape of giant "police patrol craft" similar to the way the Jedi deployed them. Only the shape of a one-man starfighter was being compared to the shape of a 10,000 man capital ship. Watch the "Wedging them Out" video from The Official Site's making of Episode 2 videos - this is such old news it was even played on TV stations here - and at Comic Con 2001 in the Star Wars Connections presentation. I don't know where you were, Jargo - I mean even as far as info ONLINE goes, but you missed a lot.

You might not like it if you saw it (though you're looking at the toy version of the ship in this thread anyway), but that's where the shape came from. And yes it does have an "Imperial Logo" on it, which I think is actually the symbol of the Republic's new armed forces, created by Palpatine, so it eventually becomes the symbol of the strength of his Empire.

JediTricks
01-06-2002, 07:29 AM
What?! Jedi Tricks, you are hoping for a RESCULPT!?Not at all, I am hoping for one Obi-Wan figure that fits in the cockpit, the others that are overposed gimmick monsters without enough quality articulation to be called "statues" are shaping up to be not worth my time. If Hasbro choses to make mistake after mistake with the first wave, just as they did with Ep 1's first wave with the ugly articulation (albeit existant) and inaccurate likenesses only to release better likenesses and cleaner articulation later, then the earlier, uglier products should be replaced. You'd think I would have learned that lesson in '95 with the first wave of POTF2 and again with Ep 1, but you'd think Hasbro would learn that lesson as well and they obviously didn't. Only difference is, I think I've learned because so far, I'm far from ready to shell out $$$ for these crappy one-pose wonders.

You seem to want to see World War II with ingnorance of the fact that there was World War ONE. Look at the factors that put WW1 and WW2 into motion, look at the evolutions of the weapons used, sure there are similarities, but there are a lot of differences and nuances where WW1 didn't have much causal affect of WW2. The US didn't need to broadcast Patton's WW1 service record to have him lead troops in WW2.

Jargo
01-06-2002, 09:21 AM
Oh for god's sake Tycho, stop seeing everything as a personal attack on your holy opinions.

Yes, I *yawn* saw all the documentary segments and have them saved to my hard drive so that I can rewatch them for reference if I so desire.

My point is that... never mind. It's hardly worth bothering to re-state my point for the hundredth time. you obviously only listen to the sound of your own voice.

derek
01-06-2002, 12:47 PM
everyone was moderator fighting, the jabs were as fast as a 56k modem...........

{man, GNT, these short posts are a lot easier. what was i thinking typing whole paragraphs?:)}

Tycho
01-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Oh for god's sake Tycho, stop seeing everything as a personal attack on your holy opinions.

Yes, I *yawn* saw all the documentary segments and have them saved to my hard drive so that I can rewatch them for reference if I so desire.

My point is that... never mind. It's hardly worth bothering to re-state my point for the hundredth time. you obviously only listen to the sound of your own voice.

Jargo, on this topic, you were the one not listening (to the documentaries). I re-read your past posts in these threads to be sure, but there is less disagreement between you and GNT than you think. GNT was (likely) basing his comparison of the JSF and the SD on shape and Lucas' ordered design similarities, while you were basing your comparison on size and function, where YES, a Republic Cruiser is more like a Star Destroyer (but it looks more like a Corellian Corvette, less 8 engines).

But the crux of all this comes back to all the negativity. If all the ships in E2 suddenly looked like little Death Stars or something else totally weird and different, I think everyone would be complaining "where's the connection to the OT?" When Episode One's designs were revealed for the N-1 and Royal Starship I remember the complaining going on about why the N-1's weren't Z-95 Headhunters (the Incom precursur to the T-65 X-wing, 2 engines / wings / lasers instead of four). That to me points to making transition stages based on the same technology. But now since the design and the shape of the SD origin is not the same size as a Republic ship analog, it's raising complaints again. It's all hypocritical to me, and people here love personal attacks and just plain Lucas-Hasbro-bashing in general. I like Star Wars and being excited and happy about having a phenomenon this cool to be "into."

You see the Clone Trooper look is promoting the exact same kind of debate - and no, I don't like everything. I thought the clone troopers could have had half-face masks that covered their eyes (like Bikerscout range-finders) and left their mouths visable so they looked more like "good-guys" and so that Stormtrooper armor could evolve over the next 18 + 4 (22) years between Episode TWO and Four. The Confederates' clones in E3 can / may be that all white Boba Fett armor. There will be less of them, so they can be "Mandalorian armor-clad commandos" we've heard hinted at over all the years.

I brought that up to say that I'm not here as the holier-than-thou Lucas-defender.

Lord Tenebrous
01-06-2002, 03:16 PM
I'm really interested in getting the Art of Episode II, just to see what other ideas Lucas and co. worked with on their way to developing the vehicles of AOTC.

For Episode I, they did experiment with modified OT vehicles, but they went with a more elaborate look. And some of the unused designs (in particular, the solar sail and the flying wing) are being used for Episode II.

I really do have mixed feelings about the Jedi Starfighter. My initial gripe was that a vehicle that small could travel the length of the galaxy, then halfway back. But the only OT ships that didn't have hyperdrives were the TIE family, so I assume to Jedi ships have them.

But as far as the design, I see nothing wrong with it, so long as it's actually put to good use. The N1's design was nice, but there was really not relevance to the plot to put the prongs on it, other than aesthetic purposes. I hope we're now getting to the point where nothing is additional, and the burdens on the galaxy make for less charm and more utility.

stillakid
01-06-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous

But as far as the design, I see nothing wrong with it, so long as it's actually put to good use. The N1's design was nice, but there was really not relevance to the plot to put the prongs on it, other than aesthetic purposes. I hope we're now getting to the point where nothing is additional, and the burdens on the galaxy make for less charm and more utility.

There is an interview with Doug Chang specifically about the Naboo fighter design. This is supposedly an age where peace and prosperity reign, so form took precedence over function in much of the hardware design, whether it be a fork or a starfighter. So, no the prongs don't really have a function beyond the artistry of a peaceful society. That's the beauty of telling a story with pictures. Sometimes words aren't necessary.

This discussion also goes to the point of what the prequels are supposed to be about, but aren't. They are supposed to be PRIMARILY about showing the Republic as a soft society, not anxious to get involved in disputes and rock the boat. Such a society would leave itself open to attack from within and it's eventual downfall.

Instead, the prequels are nothing more than a soap opera, focusing more on the Anakin story than the greater picture, as the original trilogy did so well.

tazer floyd
02-12-2002, 07:46 AM
And yes it does have an "Imperial Logo" on it, which I think is actually the symbol of the Republic's new armed forces, created by Palpatine, so it eventually becomes the symbol of the strength of his Empire.

But, looking at it, I'm seeing that the logo on the Jedi Starfighter has EIGHT prongs in the middle, where the logo from the original trilogy has SIX prongs.
So what gives with this? The logo's also on the Republic Gunship in the same fashion. So it's not actually 100% the actual Imperial Logo that we've come to love (and that some of us have tattooed on our bodies;) ).

So... is this a precursor to the Imperial Logo? Why would 2 of the prongs (or whatever you want to call them) be taken off to create the Imperial Logo? Unless this could possibly mean that the Empire was seen as a 'breaking off' of the original Republic.

Thoughts?

Unit-01
02-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Imperial Logo (http://www.planettribes.com/lone_pred/images/skins/starwars/imperial.jpg)

Republic Logo (http://www.figures.com/archives/images/25/37625.jpg)

Tycho
02-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing and especially the comparison images!!!

tazer floyd
02-12-2002, 01:07 PM
Another thought I've had is that since red is a color used for delegates or senate members and such, then both the Republic Cruiser and the Jedi Starfighter are Republic made ships, and thus that 'new' logo would be the Republic logo.