PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Chronicles

Jayspawn
02-28-2005, 09:44 PM
I need some information from people who have this book, "Star Wars Chronicles" by Deborah Fine. I dont have it yet and its caught my attention because of the upcoming book, Star Wars Chronicles The Prequels.

Whats this book like? I notice its fetches a hefty price on EBay. Does is specifically cover the Lucasfilm Archives? How detailed is it? Is it worth hunting down?

Thx!

bobafrett
02-28-2005, 09:48 PM
I'll have to check my book collection when I get home from work tonight. I think I picked it up on eBay, but the one I got was damaged if it's the same book you are talking about.

More later (like when I get home)

Turbowars
02-28-2005, 10:58 PM
The Star Wars Chronicles book is a huge book with hundreds of high resolution photos of props, models, concept drawings, character archives, planets, the making of our favorite 3 OT films, and how they made all the FX stuff. I mean if there's ONE book that should be in your collection, it should be Deborah Fine's Star Wars Chronicles.

Jayspawn
02-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the rundown Turbowars. Well worth the price I take it?

Turbowars
02-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah it's worth it. I don't recall the exact amount, but I think it cost me like $150 at retail. I might be wrong. If anything it was less. There's 2 editions, One has a button and the other has velco to hold the cover flap closed. The metal button version causes a dent in the book, so the Velco it the better bet if you have the choice.

bobafrett
03-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I have the one with the metal button. I won it for around $75 on eBay. However I had a hell of a time trying to get the seller to send it to me, and when I got it, the outer case was damaged including the clasp. It has a retail price of $150. I do like it, but find the $150 price tag a bit hard to swallow for a book, but if I had some extra spending cash I would say it is worth it.

El Chuxter
03-01-2005, 01:06 PM
This is more of a "Comics & Books" question. ;)

Star Wars Chronicles is well worth the price, and your mention of an upcoming "Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels" makes me a very, very happy person.

Turbowars
03-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I have the one with the metal button. I won it for around $75 on eBay. However I had a hell of a time trying to get the seller to send it to me, and when I got it, the outer case was damaged including the clasp. It has a retail price of $150. I do like it, but find the $150 price tag a bit hard to swallow for a book, but if I had some extra spending cash I would say it is worth it.Hey I think I remember you having that problem with the seller. At least you got it in the end.

bobafrett
03-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Hey I think I remember you having that problem with the seller. At least you got it in the end.

Yes, but when I reported to her that it arrived damaged, the seller said that they would let me keep the one I had, and send me a new replacement. After several months and many e-mails to this seller, they said they never got the book back, and when I copied from the e-mail what they had told me about keeping the damaged copy, they sent me a nasty reply about how expensive it would be to do that, so I finally gave up on the issue. At least the information in R2 is still intact. :beard:

Turbowars
03-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Now that part I forgot. I hope you left some nasty feedback.:evil: To some sellers, negitive feedback mean nothing, but hopefully they cared.:ermm:

JediTricks
03-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Yeah it's worth it. I don't recall the exact amount, but I think it cost me like $150 at retail. I might be wrong. If anything it was less. There's 2 editions, One has a button and the other has velco to hold the cover flap closed. The metal button version causes a dent in the book, so the Velco it the better bet if you have the choice.
I have the velcro version, cost $125 new at a major retailer (Borders, IIRC). The problem with the velcro is that the stupid glue holding the velcro tab came off rendering it totally useless. Also, on mine, the outer section of the book's actual cover (not the box, the bound cover) came up a little and keeps getting pushed back by the box. Still, minor problems for a fantastic book.

BTW, the book was originally from Japan, so the US versions are actually the 2nd and 3rd versions I guess.

It's an amazing book, massive and heavy, lots of details and photos. It doesn't have everything, I've found a few small items that got no coverage at all, and a few larger ones that could have had more, but it is by far the most amazing collection on paper I've ever seen about the Star Wars trilogy.

bobafrett
03-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Now that part I forgot. I hope you left some nasty feedback.:evil: To some sellers, negitive feedback mean nothing, but hopefully they cared.:ermm:

No, because by the time I figured out that I wasn't going to get the book in better condition, the time to post negative feedback had passed. You live, you learn.

Jayspawn
03-02-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm tracking down various copies of the book from different websites. Seee who's offering it for what.

I've also decided to trackdown Sansweet's From Concept to Collectibles book. Though I have all of this others -still a great book too.

Rogue II
09-04-2005, 09:49 PM
I was paging through this book this weekend and noticed this:

Star Wars Timeline
The following timeline records important events in the history of the Star Wars galaxy.
------------------

BSW4 = before the events of Star Wars IV: A New Hope

25,000 + BSW4: The Old Republic, the first galaxy-wide government, is formed; Jedi Knights appear; period of galactic peace and expansioin begins.
896 BSW4: Yoda, thr Jedi Master, is born.
200 BSW4: Chewbacca, the Wookie, is born on Kashyyyk.
60 BSW4: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight, is born.
48 BSW4: Mon Mothma, Senator and Alliance leader, is born on Chandrila.
40 BSW4: Anakin Skywalker is born.
35 BSW4: Clone Wars end.
29 BSW4: Han Solo is born in Corellian star system.

--Fall of the Republic: A dark period of corruption and social injustice sweeps through the Republic, paving the way for Senator Palpatine's rise to power.

18 BSW4: Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa are born and placed in hiding; Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader; Jedi Knights are hunted and killed; Palpatine becomes Emperor; Empire is formed; first stirrings of the Rebellion begin.

This book was printed in 1997. I was going to comment on how Lucas may have changed some history when he made Episode I, but in ANH, Ben tells Luke about how he and Anakin fought together in the Clone Wars. So, did the author just make some stuff up to fill the page?

It's still a good book anyway.

JediTricks
09-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I thought they took it from the pre-Special Edition era EU.

2-1B
09-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Oh ! What do you know . . . Anakin born 40 years before ANH, so the old school ROTJ screenwriting notes that said was in his 60s when the mask comes off in ROTJ, well that had already been changed before the prequels by a few years.

One thing that jumps out at me is that the timeline up there has Ben older than Anakin by 20 years, when Ben is what, 25 or so ? in TPM while Anakin is 9.

In any event, I always thought Obi-Wan should have been a lot older than Anakin and not the similarly aged spirits in ROTJ. ;)

Jayspawn
09-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I checkup up on Star Wars Chronicles:The Prequels at B&N today. The sales lady flipped when she saw the price. haha. But she showed me they have a release date of 12/1. Anyway I'm really excited about the book, cant wait to get one! They also have Dressing a Galaxy with a release date of 10/1 !!! That'll hold me over until the Chronicles come out.

stillakid
09-26-2005, 07:50 AM
I ordered the Deluxe Dressing a Galaxy...I can't wait! Plus the kids are excited about seeing the exhibit here in LA. Should be awesome!

Chronicles will make a great early Xmas gift. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2005, 08:20 PM
I ordered the Deluxe Dressing a Galaxy...I can't wait! Plus the kids are excited about seeing the exhibit here in LA. Should be awesome!
As a kid of a parent, I guess your statement is true; I'm trying to head over there in a couple of weekends from now. The articles say that there are going to be some signed copies available there, so maybe they'll be decently priced.

(uncomfortably long pause)

In Los Angeles, CA. A collectible item. At decent price. :greedy: Hmm. And you can make a left turn on Hollywood Blvd. from any intersection whenever you want. :rolleyes:

stillakid
09-26-2005, 09:56 PM
As a kid of a parent, I guess your statement is true; I'm trying to head over there in a couple of weekends from now. The articles say that there are going to be some signed copies available there, so maybe they'll be decently priced.

(uncomfortably long pause)

In Los Angeles, CA. A collectible item. At decent price. :greedy: Hmm. And you can make a left turn on Hollywood Blvd. from any intersection whenever you want. :rolleyes:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Should I have said "my kids are excited to go" instead?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2005, 10:25 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Should I have said "my kids are excited to go" instead?No, I'm just doing my part to confuse the galaxy... :rolleyes: Especially since I do not have any kids. That was the only way I could join the discussion, and now I feel I have been slighted. Oh, the agony! The scorn!

Wha-?! :cross-eye: Ignore my ramblings, all.

stillakid
10-01-2005, 11:45 AM
No, I'm just doing my part to confuse the galaxy... :rolleyes: Especially since I do not have any kids. That was the only way I could join the discussion, and now I feel I have been slighted. Oh, the agony! The scorn!

Wha-?! :cross-eye: Ignore my ramblings, all.

:confused: No "slight" intended. I just didn't understand and didn't want anyone to think that I was referring to we Star Wars fans as "kids." I truly meant my own kids, who are excited about going. :)

Daz
10-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Caesar In any event, I always thought Obi-Wan should have been a lot older than Anakin and not the similarly aged spirits in ROTJ. ;)

You would actually like the age gap to be wider then it already is ? Surely you jest ,if as is suggested in the OT aswell as the PT Anakin was largly trained by Obi-Wan the only relationship that would have developed given the age differance would have been of a father son type not the brotherly bond that their supposed to have.

I would have had Anakin much closer in age to Obi perhaps only seperated by five or so years , his admiration and envy of Obi's skill in the force would drive Anakin to seek shortcuts to greater power.

2-1B
10-02-2005, 01:03 AM
You would actually like the age gap to be wider then it already is ?

Ahhhh, no. What size bottle of whiskey gave you that impression ? lol lol lol
I like the age gap between them in the current version of the saga. :)

You quoted my comments about the "similarly aged" version of the ghosts in ROTJ which was in reference to the old version with the 'Bas Ghost and that was the age gap I didn't care for. I wasn't commenting on the current age gap. :)

Surely you jest,

If I jest, you'll know it because I'll add a lol like in the part above, or else a :D and once in awhile a ;)

:)

if as is suggested in the OT aswell as the PT Anakin was largly trained by Obi-Wan the only relationship that would have developed given the age differance would have been of a father son type not the brotherly bond that their supposed to have.

I would disagree with that because we got the Fatherly Bond in AOTC and the Brotherly Bonds in ROTS. Win-Win for me. Two of my favorite Bonds right there, probably a tie with JimJamBonds. lol

JimJamBonds
10-02-2005, 01:13 AM
I would disagree with that because we got the Fatherly Bond in AOTC and the Brotherly Bonds in ROTS. Win-Win for me. Two of my favorite Bonds right there, probably a tie with JimJamBonds. lol

What about Barry Bonds and/or Gary "U.S." Bonds

Daz
10-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Caesar You quoted my comments about the "similarly aged" version of the ghosts in ROTJ which was in reference to the old version with the 'Bas Ghost and that was the age gap I didn't care for. I wasn't commenting on the current age gap. :)

Sorry my mistake,as for the age gap in Rotj allow me to rationalise as people are so fond of doing on these boards, old people all look old the only way for them to have visually clued us in to Obers being 16 years older then Anakin would have been to have him on a Zimmer frame and trailing a canister of Oxygen. :grin:

Of course if George had of seen sense instead of a dollor sign and not pandered to Kids we might have gotten an Anakin closer in age to Obi Wan and this would not even be an issue.

Jayspawn
10-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Well anyways...

The NEW Clone issue of Star Wars Insider has a small article on the Chronicles: The Prequels! Shows some small pictures which looked great! I cant wait to get this book! I need patience as my ally.

stillakid
10-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Well anyways...

The NEW Clone issue of Star Wars Insider has a small article on the Chronicles: The Prequels! Shows some small pictures which looked great! I cant wait to get this book! I need patience as my ally.

That and Mastercard. :greedy:

Deoxyribonucleic
10-21-2005, 02:06 PM
I have the velcro version, cost $125 new at a major retailer (Borders, IIRC). The problem with the velcro is that the stupid glue holding the velcro tab came off rendering it totally useless.

Same here, except I got mine at a local bookstore in Seattle (can't remember the name though).

BTW, the book was originally from Japan, so the US versions are actually the 2nd and 3rd versions I guess.

Funny, there was one up for bid on ebay just a few days ago and it looks very nice.

It's an amazing book, massive and heavy, lots of details and photos. It doesn't have everything, I've found a few small items that got no coverage at all, and a few larger ones that could have had more, but it is by far the most amazing collection on paper I've ever seen about the Star Wars trilogy.

Agreed. It's my favorite book in my whole collection plus it was a birthday present from my Mom which makes it that much better! :)

They are also coming out with a reprint of it during the same time the Prequels one comes out, supposedly with a new slipcase ISBN: 0-8118-1498-X.

JediTricks
10-23-2005, 01:15 AM
Same here, except I got mine at a local bookstore in Seattle (can't remember the name though).It's probably a Borders or B&N by now. :p

Funny, there was one up for bid on ebay just a few days ago and it looks very nice.If only I read Japanese... and had lots of spare cash to throw away. I hear the Japanese version was a super-short run too, so that's probably a heck of a collector's item.

I wish I had thought of the birthday present angle, that would have been nice letting a family member give me such an awesome gift... aww, aren't I generous? :greedy: ;)

Jayspawn
10-23-2005, 01:22 AM
If I dont get around to buying it right away (but I probably will) I might drop the new Chronicles on my Christmas list. My Family likes to give a few big ($) presents. Hopefully it'll be out on time.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I might drop the new Chronicles on my Christmas list. My Family likes to give a few big ($) presents. Hopefully it'll be out on time.I think my calendar says Christmas is on the... hold on, the 25th this year. They're pretty good about it being on time these days, but with rising fuel costs, you never know.

I do love the humility and selflessness in this thread, BTW. [builds up cranky old geezer voice...] In my day, if we got a ROCK SHARD as a present, we were eternally grateful! Kids today, with their music boxes and their high-speed interweb... telling people what to give 'em. I'll tell 'em what I'll give 'em... a good swift kick in the pantaloons! [cranky geezer voice dies down...] :o :p

JediTricks
10-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah, but the batteries for the rock shard weren't sold separately back in the day, now you gotta track 'em down and you know what a pain it is to find those rock-shard batteries, crazy euro FJ cells.

Jayspawn
11-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Costco will be carrying Chronicles:The Prequels for those of you who are members. Its gonna be $89.99.

Think I'm gonna get mine there. I'm an Executive Member so I'll get an extra % back. No arrivel date yet.

El Chuxter
11-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Ooh, tempting. It'd be like $1 more than amazon.com after tax. But that Executive Member rebate could make it worthwhile.

Did you get the info from their website? One possible drawback is that the items there don't always match what's in the stores, and when they do the prices aren't always the same. I think I'll have to play it safe and keep my preorder. . . for now.

Jayspawn
11-10-2005, 10:09 AM
I saw it listed in the computer system. Its listed as Star Wars Chronicles II.

Slightly off-topic, they will be jetting John Knoll's Star Wars in 365 Days. They will have it for $18.99.

Jayspawn
11-14-2005, 11:40 AM
As it turns out, Costco will only be getting in 4 copies! WOW!

Deoxyribonucleic
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
All Coscos in the world, only four copies??

Seriously though, do you know if that is a storewide thing?

Jayspawn
11-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Not sure if its storewide. If you're a Costco member you should be able to go in and get one. Its not on the website yet, but I'll see if I can get an item number.

I've been asking at local stores (Borders, Walden, B&N) and none of them will be carrying it on the shelf. But they are always willing to special order.

jonthejedi
11-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Gee, this is a switch! My copy shipped from Amazon, but SWShop.com still lists a Dec. street date. Kinda the opposite of Dressing A Galaxy.

Jayspawn
11-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Amazon.com had The Chronicles: The Prequels IN STOCK right now!

Funny thing, the used price is already more than the sell price.

Jayspawn
11-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Today was MY day! I bought The Prequel Chronicles at Costco today! Truely this book is the BEST visual refrence how anything you want/need to aknow about the Prequels. The photos in the book are beyond incredible.

Its gonna take a looong time to soak up this book.

Jayspawn
11-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Score of the Century today! I went into Costco Wholesale today and picked up a brand, new copy of the Original Star Wars Chronicles by Deborah Fine. Still freshly minted and shrink-wrapped. It was $89.99.

Definatly worth checking out if you dont have this book!

Deoxyribonucleic
11-28-2005, 02:55 AM
I got my prequels chronicles in from Amazon last tuesday and just started going through it. I love these books and I love having them on my shelf side by side...orga...m!

:thumbsup:

:love:

Jayspawn
11-28-2005, 10:48 AM
They're both great books. Last night I added the 1st Chroniles to my bookshelf to sit beside the Chronicle Prequels. Beautiful, just beautiful.