PDA

View Full Version : My quest to read the entire SW universe in chronological order (E3 spoilers)

gsr-jedi
02-28-2005, 11:31 PM
I've decided to read a majority of the SW stories in chronological order, the only things I'm passing on are those Step Into Reading books, and the stories that aren't in the continuity. I've just finished the first section of the timeline (using the timeline found at TheForce.net). I've devoted a section of my web site to review the various stories as I read them.

Star Wars EU Reviews (http://www.knowingisha-lfthebattle.com/starwarseureviews.htm)

Now I gotta get the books I need to complete the second section so I can read that.

Tycho
03-01-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm very interested in your project. As you might've been aware, I started at SirSteve's with Rogues' Gallery, my weekly SW book review newsletter, in which I tried to tackle it in Chronological order (sort of - I started with 5 years after ROTJ because that's when Timothy Zahn had begun it all).

I loved the Golden Age of the Sith, and especially Ulic Qel Droma's epic, and went back to do RsG's prequel era with that.

Please keep me up to date on your review progress. I'll be reading them and discussing them with you here.

gsr-jedi
03-04-2005, 08:52 AM
I'll update this thread when I complete the next section, feel free to discuss.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-05-2005, 09:20 AM
So what are you beginning with, g-j? The Sith War comics? Prequel era? It'll be weird when a novel mentions something that the reading public knows about (since it had been in a previous story) without too much description. Despite what Obi-Wan said, I wish you luck!

El Chuxter
03-05-2005, 05:49 PM
That is quite an ambitious undertaking, and I too wish you luck. Let us know when it's updated and I'll continue to check it out. :)

Tycho
03-06-2005, 01:05 AM
You're going to love the Jedi Apprentice series.

gsr-jedi
03-07-2005, 08:53 AM
BCJ - I started with the TotJ comics and that whole time period, now I'm getting stuff that takes place right before TPM.

I've read the Jedi Apprentice series and loved it, so I'm anxious to re-read those stories again.

Tycho
03-07-2005, 01:21 PM
I decided, having read Labrynth of Evil and being up-to-date for Revenge of the Sith...

That I'd read along with you!

I'm back on Golden Age of the Sith and just started re-reading that again last night.

I love the Jedi Odan-Urr and Memit Nadil and the interaction between them as one is a scholar-type Jedi, and the other a field-tested warrior. I also like how Jedi were assigned as regional protectors for certain systems. I think back in the days before the Separatists had the Jedi running everywhere, this was an efficient way of doing things so the public could appeal to a particularly known and trusted Jedi Master.

Empress Teta is also an interesting character. I so wished Hasbro would have made TOTJ figures - especially from 1000 years later in Ulic's era.

gsr-jedi
03-10-2005, 08:39 AM
That's cool, it would be awesome if Hasbro made some more EU figs from this time period, especially since the design of their lightsaber hilts is so different from the current style.

Tycho
03-22-2005, 02:04 AM
OK, I'm up to The Sith War in the epic of Ulic Qel Droma.

Is it just me, or is Ulic's legend more interesting than the 2 movie trilogies?

The Jedi loved and were passionate, they married, had children and trained them in this era.

Brothers like Ulic and Cay Qel Droma trained with one another, and great masters like Arca had several star students:

ARCA

Ulic Qel Droma
Cay Qel Droma
Tott Doneeta

THON

Nomi Sunrider
Vima Sunrider
Oss Willum

VODO SIOSSK BAAS

Exar Kun
Sylvar
Crado

Plus there was

ODD BNAR

and

Qrrl Toq
Dace Diath
Kith Kark
Shanoeb Culu

and the Sith had

Satal Keeto
Aleema
Mandalore (not Force sensitive, but still really cool!)

Dude, I loved TOTJ: Ulic Qel Droma and Exar Kun!

gsr-jedi
03-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Now that I think about it, the prequel trilogy is the first source (that I know of) to say the Jedi were forbidden to love. Considering that most of the TOTJ stories were written in the mid-90s, they obviously didn't know about that rule. I'd love more stories from this era, especially one that touches upon the incident that causes this rule to be in place. Luke doesn't pick this up later after the Empire.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-26-2005, 05:48 PM
You're going to love the Jedi Apprentice series.

Yes, I really enjoyed the Jedi Apprentice series. I read all of those and the first special edition one before moving on to post ROTJ stuff. Now, with Episode III coming up, I thought I would read all the prequel era stuff, so I started by rereading the Jedi Apprentice series. I'm on #14 now.

Tycho
03-27-2005, 01:50 AM
The best ones are when Obi-Wan falls in love with Cerasi and wants to leave the Jedi Order over the affair. It shows him learning the hard way all the pitfalls he'll later try to help Anakin avoid. I really liked #5 and 6.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-27-2005, 11:35 AM
The best ones are when Obi-Wan falls in love with Cerasi and wants to leave the Jedi Order over the affair. It shows him learning the hard way all the pitfalls he'll later try to help Anakin avoid. I really liked #5 and 6.

The entire series actually shows the impulsive, emotional side of Obi-Wan which is also visible in Episode I. I think if they ever do a Star Wars TV series based on existing material, this would be one of my top choices along with the X-Wing series and the Han Solo trilogy.

Tycho
03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK:

Yoda: "Reckless is he."

Ghost of Obi-Wan: "So was I, if you remember."

:)

Tycho
05-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Now that I think about it, the prequel trilogy is the first source (that I know of) to say the Jedi were forbidden to love. Considering that most of the TOTJ stories were written in the mid-90s, they obviously didn't know about that rule. I'd love more stories from this era, especially one that touches upon the incident that causes this rule to be in place. Luke doesn't pick this up later after the Empire.

Some new developments have happened.

In Star Wars Tales 23 that just came out, they went back to just after the end of The Sith War. The Jedi High Council has been formed, presumably with Nomi Sunrider as the head of the Council, and they've moved their base of operations to Coruscant after Ossus was destroyed and the Jedi regrouped on Exis Station. Meanwhile, sub-councils have been set up to run sectors for the Jedi. I think this made it easier for the Brotherhood of Darkness to eventually spread, because rebel sub-councils would already be organized against Coruscant. Anyway, that would take 2,000 years to come about after Exar Kun's demise.

However, I always wondered about what the Jedi planned to do about the Sith infestation that spread throughout the galaxy during Exar Kun's reign.

Remember:

Naga Sadow brought the Sith from the Old Empire to Yavin IV, after attacks and artifacts were lost in the Empress Teta System (Koros), and on Coruscant. Odan Urr captured Sith holocrons and artifacts, but you know that looters and profiteers took stuff before the Jedi could lock down all of it.

Freedon Nadd was lured by the Dark Side of the Force to Yavin IV and there he spread the Sith teachings to Onderron and its Duxn moon.

Aleema and Satal Keeto found Sith artifacts on Coruscant besides Onderron, and strengthened the Sith position in the Empress Teta System.

Then Ulic Qel Droma and Exar Kun spread darkness to Kuar, Ossus, Kemplex-9, Dantooine, and so many other places.

When Exar was defeated, not all the dark artifacts, and possibly not all the dark Jedi were accounted for.

IN STAR WARS TALES 23, "Shadows and Light," it is 3 years after The Sith War (before Ulic's redemption and before Vima grows up). Orders have come down from Nomi to snuff out all Sith remnants from artifacts to accolytes.

In Shadows and Light, a 3-Jedi team has been sent to infiltrate KORRIBON itself - the Sith burial world, to assess the situation and sabotage or destroy anything dangerous - especially Sith beasts that hunt Jedi that were created by Exar's exploration of Sadow's alchemy experiments. These beasts were poor transformed Massassi that hunt in the Force and feast on Jedi.

The team on Korribon discover a Sith academy of sorts - profiteers and adventurers, some Force-sensitive, others not, have established a colony on Korribon! I'm really surprised they aren't all going insane from being there. But they are of a dark nature.

The Jedi trio are composed of a Twi'lek master (not Tott Doneeta) and a pair of human Jedi lovers, the male being a cousin of the Force-sensitive heirs of the Qel Dromas of Alderaan. It seems that their love is forbidden.

I think this is Nomi that started this rule. Think of it:

- she lost her husband to tragedy and killed as a result of defending Andur Sunrider's legacy. This plummeted her into Jedi training and eventually the Beast Wars of Onderron and the whole Sith War shortly there afterward.

-she was left as a single-mother to a Force-sensitive child she had difficulty controlling (see Redemption)

- her affair with Ulic clouded her judgement about matters at a crucial time and many Jedi lives were lost - like Cay's.

-Ulic himself was sexually seduced into the Sith by Aleema.

Otherwise I see no other reason why these Jedi in "Shadows and Light" would be forbidden their romance and requested to abstain in the name of their service.

The Sith have similar issues, as evidenced in "The Apprentice" where the junior Sith saves a Force-Sensitive girl from slavery and his master scolds him for compassion. When she begs the Dark Lords to take her with them, the Master replies he already has an apprentice. The girl summarily and surprisingly kills the Sith apprentice and takes his place, much to the delight of the Master. Compassion and love is rooted out as a weakness in the ranks of the Sith.

Obi-Wan has struggled twice with the same issue: after Cerasi he and Jedi Apprentice Siri Tachi fell into a forbidden love. Yoda caught them when Qui-Gon learned of it, yet couldn't deal with it because of his own struggles with his feelings for the recently killed Tahl. "Secrets of the Jedi" (a recent release taking place in 2 time periods, 10 years apart - thereabouts anyway) was not what I expected by the title. It's about forbidden romances. I haven't read the Anakin chapters because I'm reading everything in order now - but Padme's on the cover and that part of the story takes place after AOTC by the timeline - so I'm sure they're married by then.

However, Obi-Wan - should he learn of and forbid Anakin's relationship with Padme (though later, while he doesn't seem to know they are legally married, he seems to just accept it - as in the Comic "Obsession," ) - Obi-Wan tries to dissuade Anakin based on his own real experience with the pitfalls of love. The problem with Obi-Wan is that he's so cautious after Qui-Gon and Anakin both being so unconventional and unpredictable, that I doubt he confides in Anakin that he broke the Jedi rules - twice - and once with another Jedi Apprentice even. (possibly because this would discredit Anakin's respect for another Jedi Master, Tachi, if he were to learn that Siri had been involved with his own Master).

Tycho
05-16-2005, 03:37 PM
No comments on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's illicit love affairs with Tahl and Siri respectively?

Some things of note:

Jenna Zan Arbor is trying to bio-chemically control the Force and do experiments on Jedi subjects at exactly the same time when Anakin would have been conceived. Obi-Wan is 15 when Anakin is "created."

In Star Wars Visionaries, a prequel to Durge is shown with a scientist modifying Durge and his mentor's armor for neural-interfaces to their weapon systems. He has a half-droid, half human lady assistant, who in her death after an attack by the Mandalorians, is returned a lightsaber. Durge goes off to persue revenge against the Mandalorians. However, the scientist seems to be satisfied that a faction of the Mandalorian "rescue squad group" has been usurped to bring him some kind of artifact, for which he double-crossed them and didn't pay them, hiring Durge and his mentor to eliminate them instead. I suspect the artifact may have been a Sith holocron and that this scientist was a Sith Lord. He tells the dying cyborg woman that everything went as planned and that the war has begun between the Mandalorians and the Sith. Perhaps this is a war to bring them back under Sith control as had been the case when they originally pledged their order to serve Lord Qel Droma?

It's interesting, but science might have also been a tool of the new Sith, as this occured only a hundred years or so before ANH, and this scientist might have been Darth Plageus.

Sith Lords do not have to look like horrific demons, as demonstrated by both Palpatine and Dooku. In fact they can move more secretively if they do not.

I'm wondering if a plan to create Anakin Skywalker was not in place well before the apprenticeship of Darth Maul and he was only trained to do Palpatine's wet-work. With his tattoos and clear allegiance spelled out on his face, he would never have been able to take the place of his Master. Palpatine was just using him, perhaps interested in receiving Anakin Skywalker as his apprentice prior to even Darth Plageus' demise.

What do you think?

Mad Slanted Powers
05-16-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm wondering if a plan to create Anakin Skywalker was not in place well before the apprenticeship of Darth Maul and he was only trained to do Palpatine's wet-work. With his tattoos and clear allegiance spelled out on his face, he would never have been able to take the place of his Master. Palpatine was just using him, perhaps interested in receiving Anakin Skywalker as his apprentice prior to even Darth Plageus' demise.

What do you think?

There is a possible ROTS spoiler in the latest Entertainment Weekly. *Ian McDiarmid hints that this may have been the case, but it doesn't sound as if it is explicitly stated. Seems like it is something put out there so that we Star Wars fans will have something to debate for all eternity.*

Also, that is an interesting observation on Jenna Zan Arbor. I've read the Jedi Apprentice books and recently reread them, but I am not too much up on the Tales of the Jedi era stuff. I did read at least some of them a long time ago. I've not read much of the prequel era comics. I had planned to read all of the prequel stuff before ROTS, but I just was too lazy. There was too much Clone Wars stuff to get through. I should have skipped Rogue Planet as I have already read it. I was rereading that and got about a third of the way through, and haven't read anything since. I should have went straight to the Jedi Quest books, and then on to the CW stuff.

Tycho
05-16-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm almost into the "Real" prequel era books.

I'm on the Ki-Adi Mundi comic "Prelude to Rebellion" - or the on-going Republic's series' #1-6.

I want to at least be focusing on reading about Anakin's training and surmising what went wrong when I'm out of Revenge of the Sith at the theaters.

The whole build up to the Clone Wars starts very early and was well thought out and actually chronicled in pre-TPM books!

By The Stark Hyperspace War (told in flashback in Republic 36-39), the Outer Rim was getting sick of the Trade Federation's monopoly on shipping and their high prices. Iago Stark organized mercenaries to pirate goods and sell them cheaper than the Federation. When they tried to engineer profits from a false bacta shortage, Stark became a hero on the Outer Rim, else no one there would have ever gotten bacta and many would have died (a healthcare crisis). Well the Outer Rim pitted aliens against humans (Core World origins).

The Trade Federation Directorate was 7:

4 Humans (2 Kuati, 1 Filven, 1 Balmorran)
1 Sullustan
1 Gran (Malastare I think)
1 Niemoidian - Nute Gunray

While perhaps Darth Plageus was plotting Anakin Skywalker's creation, Darth Sidious might have well been taking over.

If Darth Plageus was the bio-engineer, Sith Alchemist

Darth Sidious was the politician (as we very well know).

He was also an antique collector and he knew who to go to to get him closer to obtaining Sith Holocrons (like Dr. Murk Lundi, the Quermian in "The Followers" that led Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan halfway across the galaxy in pursuit of a Sith cult sect.)

But meanwhile, Darth Sidious may have eliminated Darth Plageus and unleashed Darth Maul - his brute warrior.

He used Maul in the e-book "Sabateur" to make sure that planets like Dorvalla's mining companies failed to ship without the Trade Federation, and got Nute Gunray chairmanship of the Trade Federation and helped him rise to power based on performance successes that Darth Sidious and Darth Maul arranged for him. Maul likely knew nothing about Anakin Skywalker or the legends about bringing balance to the Force. Meanwhile, the Jedi could misinterpret that to mean eliminating the Sith. It clearly means making 2 Jedi (Yoda and Obi-Wan) and 2 Sith (Sidious and Vader) - they just don't realize that until 90 minutes into Episode Three.

However, they don't realize a lot of things. Sidious and also as Palpatine, made for pirates to attack the Federation and cause Nute to want to buy droid armies. Chancellor Valorum was beautifully manipulated into taxing the trade routes and further inflaming the Outer Rim who, now without Stark, turned to the Nebula Front. Once Qui-Gon helps take them down, the Separatist Movement can fully come into play, as the worlds themselves officially take action, versus covert strategies with those like Stark or the Nebula Front.

Palpatine set everything up and discredits Valorum while assasinating the Trade Federation directorate except for Nute, and he's got all the pieces in play to use the Naboo invasion to propel himself into the Supreme Chancellor's office in Episode One. "Cloak of Deception" was brilliant - as is usual for James Luceno.

Now in Prelude to Rebellion, Ki-Adi Mundi inadvertently stumbles upon the Hutts helping to arm the Trade Federation with neutral worlds for them to take discreet delivery from Geonosis.

I'm almost to the Darth Maul comics. I think the point of it was that Black Sun discovered what was up and wanted to take protection money off of Nute and Sidious ordered Maul to close Black Sun down for a while - though his orders explicitly said "not completely. They'll be of use to us later."

Maybe I'll at least be reading Shadow Hunter - about the Sith, when E3 comes out on Wednesday/Thursday.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-16-2005, 11:24 PM
I agree, Cloak of Deception was very good. I've read that one, Darth Maul Shadow Hunter and Darth Maul Saboteur. I think I read Prelude to Rebellion, but don't remember much about it. I've read The Approaching Storm and the first three or four Boba Fett Scholastic books. I tend not to retain much of the details though. I'll get into reading some more this summer. I usually take a book or two with me on each of the three business trips I take, so hopefully I'll be able to read some of the Clone Wars novels, and in between I can read the Jedi Quest books and the comics.

Tycho
05-16-2005, 11:49 PM
It's been really cool, reading it all in order. The Phantom Menace and the Separatist Cause has really been fleshed out prior to The Battle of Naboo.

Also, much of the Sith plot is completely understood now with the hindsight we have.

The Mandalorians figured into it very early on.

Then did the creation of the Chosen One.

Finally the Trade Federation and the fragmentation of the galaxy into Civil War.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-17-2005, 12:22 AM
So, if I study it well, I should be able to take over the world. :evil:

Tycho
05-17-2005, 12:52 AM
So, if I study it well, I should be able to take over the world. :evil:

You will achieve a power greater than any Jedi has possibly imagined!

JEDIpartner
05-17-2005, 06:57 AM
I'm partial to the prequel era EU. The post OT EU tends to go off in too many directions for my tastes. The JA series did rock! I enjoyed those and I'm passing them along to my nephew. I think he'll enjoy those.

I'd love to see more of the Darth Plagueis thing fleshed out. I hope George allows that to happen. Could you just imagine it if he created Anakin?!!! :eek:

Tycho
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Great point JP.

I can imagine the best way to tell that tale now is to let Darth Vader discover that. Sith use hate - of even their own Master - to channel the Dark Side. If Vader learns that Darth Plageus and a Sith plot had messed with his mother....

That can be a great post-E3 story.

I'm reading Shadow Hunter right now. A great book, but also telling you that Darth Maul knows less than half of Sidious' overall plans to rule the galaxy. He was definitely not the apprentice that Sidious really wanted to trust.

Tycho
05-29-2005, 09:04 PM
OK, I'm past THE PHANTOM MENACE finally.

Outlander (the 2nd story in the Republic on-going series) is incredibly epic.

Ki-Adi Mundi
A'Sharad Hett's introduction
Jabba the Hutt
Aurra Sing!

Could you top that?

Emisarries to Malastare got into some interesting tidbits about the corporate corruption blooming in the Senate, from the Gran who had influence with the Trade Federation - and then tracking it all to Nar Shadda, tying in the Hutt interests that Ki-Adi Mundi had suspected had furnished holoshrouds etc. to the Trade Federation prior to the Naboo conflict (in Prelude to Rebellion). I always wondered what rebellion that title referred to? But it was the beginnings of preparation for the Separatists!

Jango Fett: Open Seasons follows, revealing that Count Dooku's Sith trial was to (probably slay Sypho Dias) and then find and prepare Jango Fett to found a Clone Army that would one day turn on the Jedi and destroy them (as we saw in Revenge of the Sith). The last Mandalorian (Jango) hated the Jedi and it was his dream. Hence with ROTS as hindsight, it was ALWAYS in the Clone's training to wait for Order O66!

Finally, in Twilight, Quinlan Vos begins his fall to the Dark Side and prepares the way for powerful Jedi to turn Dark and serve under Count Dooku and fight for the Separatist's cause.

The Expanded Universe timeline was really well mapped out a long time ago and things seem to really fit into place nicely - making this re-read a real pleasure.

I think Dark Horse has done really well with its post-Phantom Menace prequel comics to be sure!

Tycho
05-30-2005, 01:49 PM
In INFINITY'S END, if Coruscant was being attacked by the power-waves vested in the star chambers of the Kwii peoples, where was the Sith?

Why wasn't Sidious or Tyranus interested in going to Dathomir to obtain this power?

Surely as Chancellor, Palpatine would have known about this? Perhaps since he couldn't break away, there was no time for him to deal with this and the Jedi were useful to him?

Perhaps Dooku was too busy and the Separatist plan too good to be foiled (it worked didn't it?) so they didn't want to be bothered by this.

There were more Jedi than Sith at this time: 10,000 versus 2 - so maybe it made more sense for the Jedi to deal with the Nightsisters???

Tyranus hadn't converted all his Dark Jedi yet. They had no army of Dark Side Force-wielders like Ventress etc. Aurra Sing was about the only person they might employ, yet she was hell-bent on revenge against the Jedi, and was not concerned with obtaining Sith power. She was useful, but perhaps not deployable on Dathomir.

Yet the Sith are rising to power during Infinity's End - and if Coruscant was destroyed by the Nightsisters of Dathomir, the Sith (or at least the Master) would die with them! Palpatine had not had time to teach Dooku all that he knew - nor did he have any intentions of it either. Dooku had only just completed his Sith trials - the killing of Sypho-Dias and the hiring of Jango Fett to create an Army of the Republic in secret on Kamino.

The comics at this time did not know these plans by Lucas, or were not authorized to reveal them. But the Sith reaction to the Nightsisters should have been shown somehow! They did know of them. Darth Maul had faced a Nightsister employed by Black Sun as a bodyguard, and Count Dooku had a thorough history on Yoda and the Ch'Unthor incident since he'd once been a Jedi Master.

I realize they couldn't have known of Christopher Lee's casting as Tyranus at that time, but Sidious (as Chancellor Palpatine) could have reacted to this - or at least acknowledged that the Jedi were still quite useful to him and the Sith's plans. Afterall, HE was The Sith!

Otherwise, Infinity's End was a great chapter in the Ongoing Series. You gotta like all the sexy girls as Nightsisters with men as their slaves ;) Nice planet!

Rocketboy
05-30-2005, 05:29 PM
You gotta like all the sexy girls as Nightsisters with men as their slaves ;) Nice planet!Sounds like that episode of Futurama with the planet of amazon women where Fry, Zapp, and Kif were all sentacend to death by "snoo snoo."

:D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

Tycho
05-30-2005, 05:41 PM
If anyone can, please respond to my thoughts about "Infinity's End."

"Hunt for Aurra Sing" was great. Showed how Tikkes won the support of the Separatists right under the Jedi's noses. Though the Separatists weren't named, Tikkes was buying influence with the Commercial interests in the Senate. I'm sure the Quarrens were the weaker pawns of the Separatist's cause.

"Darkness" is going great. While Aayla Secura really debuted in Twilight, "Darkness" really solidifies her character and introduces Tholme. These three, with Villie, Tre'Saa, etc. make up a great team to face the Anzati!

And it helps prepare Aayla for her final showdown with Aurra Sing during the Clone Wars - thus attributes of other strong Jedi keep the ranks of the Dark Side from swelling as large as they did during the Sith War. However Palpatine and Dooku won't need that many....

Mad Slanted Powers
05-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Where is Infinity's End. Is it a one shot comic? Is it included in another comic collection? I don't seem to have one with that title, nor do I see one listed in the back of the ROTS comic.

Tycho
05-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Where is Infinity's End. Is it a one shot comic? Is it included in another comic collection? I don't seem to have one with that title, nor do I see one listed in the back of the ROTS comic.

According to TheForce.Net ultimate timeline, which I've found to be accurate all the way up to this point (save for one exception - which was arbitrary anyway), the POST-PHANTOM MENACE stuff goes like this:

On-Going (Republic) Comics 7-12, "Outlander" - the Tusken Raiders' War on Tatooine and Ki-Adi Mundi's discovery of Tusken Jedi A'Sharad Hett, and their stand-off with Aurra Sing, who's working for Jabba the Hutt who's got his hands on terrorism in the Outer Rim, helping to justify the Trade Federation's need to arm themselves.

Star Wars Tales "ongoing" Nomad story - as soon as the Sith had revealed themselves - in the blood of Qui-Gon Jinn - Jedi are sent out to find their trail.

On-Going (Republic) 13-18, "Emissaries to Malastare" - Palpatine sends 6 of the Jedi Council, including Ki-Adi Mundi with his new padawan A'sharad Hett, to Malastare where peace negotiations with Lannik Terrorists are to be held. It is to be made to look like the official government of the Prince of Lannik has the Jedi peace keepers killed so that the Lannik Terrorists will be deemed worthy of inheriting their homeworld's government so that its resources can be exploited by the commercial interests of the Trade Federation, and their allies.

Jango Fett: Open Seasons - Count Dooku rises to Sith Lord status by (off page) killing Sypho-Dias and hiring Jango Fett to be the source of the Clone Army as it is revealed how (years ago) the Death Watch set the Mandalorians up to all (but for Jango) to be wiped out by the Jedi. Coruscant was given faulty intell though, and Dooku, who had then led the Jedi mission for the Council, regrets his role in being fooled, and also senses the tide turning against the Jedi and the Senate, and thus begins considering opting out.

On-Going "Republic" # 19-22 is "Twilight," which establishes that Quinlan Vos was pursuing Ryloth's attempt to curry favor with the powerful commerical interests, as a lesser Senator from Orm Free Taa's party (Cholm Fey Taa, I think) tried to blend Ryll with Kessel glitterstim spiders to make Glitteryll - a highly potent and illegal spice drug. The profits were to help isolated Ryloth enter into what would become the Separatist caball. However, Quinlan Vos managed to foil that plan, though temporarily it cost him to lose his padawan Aayla Secura.

Aurra Sing assasinates the last of the conspirators from the Malastare debacle. Loose ends are silenced.

THEN REPUBLIC #23-26 is INFINITY'S END Whereas Quinlan Vos has had his memory erased during his dangerous mission to Ryloth, his personal being is tested by the Council as they send him to a Dark Side world, Dathomir, to see if he's truly coming back to the Light Side of the Force.

Tycho
06-03-2005, 03:17 PM
ROGUE PLANET was awesome to re-read. I don't think I enjoyed it as much the first time. I wanted too much to happen and things about the Yuuzhan Vong and Anakin's future both to be revealed.

This time I thoroughly sat back and enjoyed Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship, their enthusiam for the Sekotian ship made from their seed partners, and Raith Sienar and Wilhuff Tarkin's struggle to climb to power as young, ambitious 30-somethings, long before the Clone Wars.

Also, at only 12 years old, Anakin makes his first kill - but through the total unleashing of the Dark Side of the Force!

Next, the Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: THE FOLLOWERS was great to see Anakin actually deal with knowledge about the Sith and see his early perceptions forming - as well as seeing Obi-Wan struggle with what to reprimand him for with regard to his unleashed Anger.

Finally in RITE OF PASSAGE, we see Aayla Secura overcome her anger and self-doubt to still succeed in her trial and become a Jedi Knight. Contrasting that with Anakin's experience, and anchored by Quinlan Vos' uneasy turning of the Dark Side within him, and Count Dooku's manipulations as the new Sith Lord - all of that makes this comic (Republic 42-45) really worth reading. Plus you have to like Nikto warriors with the prototypes to General Grievous' energy staffs that can block lightsabers!

Rocketboy
06-04-2005, 05:37 PM
ROGUE PLANET was awesome to re-read. I don't think I enjoyed it as much the first time. I wanted too much to happen and things about the Yuuzhan Vong and Anakin's future both to be revealed.

This time I thoroughly sat back and enjoyed Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship, their enthusiam for the Sekotian ship made from their seed partners, and Raith Sienar and Wilhuff Tarkin's struggle to climb to power as young, ambitious 30-somethings, long before the Clone Wars.

Also, at only 12 years old, Anakin makes his first kill - but through the total unleashing of the Dark Side of the Force!Wow, I never thought I'd see the word enjoy used to describe Rogue Planet. :)
I barely remember what it was about, but I do remember being really bored by it, and by the time I finished it I was really ticked that I wasted my money on it.

Tycho
06-04-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm reading Jedi Quest, the hardcover, prior to book 1 of the paperback series.

Something's troubling me: why would Anakin and Siri think that if the Collocoids could get rid of Krayn, they'd openly announce they were involved in illegal spice trading? Further, how could they legitimize that and allow it to go on in the Senate? Why would Jedi (Anakin and Siri) want illegal drug trafficking to gain senate approval? (Is ending slavery on Nar Shadda worth that trade-off?)

If this scheme somehow works, how in the hell will the Hutts ever allow Nar Shadda to join the Republic? Is trade with the Republic that important to them? Krayn might have control over Nar Shadda through fear and his war-lording ways as a pirate chief, but how could any Non-Hutt ever determine the fate of Nar Shadda? Any number of Hutts should be conspiring to kill Krayn and take back what they must see as their moon???

Jude Watson's typically one of the best SW writers, but she doesn't deal with the Hutt kajadics that often, and I'm wondering if she'd allowed a slip here?

The Senate might be corrupt enough to allow spice trading, and Anakin might be desperate enough to end slavery on Nar Shadda, but the Hutts would never accept their moon joining the Republic!

I'll have to wait to see how the story ends. I don't remember. But this one I'll be keeping my eyes on.

mastermatt24
06-05-2005, 02:22 PM
damn tycho.. that is total in-depth analizing you got going. Did they ever make Infinitys End into a TPB?

Tycho
06-05-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't know about an Infinity's End TPB. I collect the monthlies as they come out - so I don't ever pay attention to what's available in collected groups later.

I did get my answer for Jedi Quest (the hardcover #0):

Aga Culpa runs things for the Hutts. It was his side-operation to let Krayn in to Nar Shadda. However, Culpa prevented Krayn from enslaving the entire populace into his spice factories.

So the people living there and working as guards etc. would support Culpa (and did) when he sided with the wealthy Colocoids who would bring Nar Shadda into the Republic. Since the citizens wanted this, Nar Shadda (in spite of its being a moon) went over to the Republic - which tolerated slavery! Palpatnie himself went to see this first incursion of the Republic into Hutt Space.

Taxes there by the Hutts for their ownership of property on Nar Shadda more than compensated them. They could care less if the citizens wanted to join the Republic. Everyone there still worked for the Hutts one way or another - and Krayn was paying them rent anyway (through Aga Culpa).

So yes, Anakin's early mission really did have a profound impact on that sector of the galaxy - larger than the book makes you believe.

I've now gone on to reading the Jedi Quest books 1-3. Anakin really is thick-headed, stubborn, and impulsive. His "classmate rival" Ferus seems that much smarter.

I like Tru Veld, Anakin's fellow Padawan-Jedi friend.

Tycho
06-09-2005, 04:40 PM
JediQuest # 3 "The Dangerous Games" was excellent - even in its 2nd reading for me.

It was great to see Anakin Skywalker podracing again - and to free a slave from Sebulba's clutches, nonetheless.

The background of the Galactic Olympics was cool as well, as was the behind the scenes story about the Commerce Guild trying to kill the Senators who planned to oppose their monopoly! The Destroyer Droids added a nice touch to the Pre-Separatist build up.

Jude Watson once again demonstrates she's a very capable writer who can really craft a story!

I like the other Jedi characters:

Siri and her padawan Ferus (Anakin's jealous of)

Ry-Gual and his padawan Tru Veld (Anakin's alien Jedi friend)

Though not in this story, Soara and her padawan Darra (a future love interest for Anakin amongst the Jedi???)

Next up is when the first Jedi Master since Qui-Gon dies: Jedi High Council Member Yarael Poof eats it in the Jango Fett / Zam Wessel one-shot continuing story arc comics.

Darker times are coming indeed - and hailed by a Mandalorian battle helmet!

Tycho
06-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Well I've been through a handful more of the Jedi Quest series and have really enjoyed them. Perhaps moreso than I did before, when I was impatient to see the Separatists' war break out and wasn't patient for the build-up.

Jude Watson actually got tremendous priveledge in being allowed to create that build up.

The Commerce Guild was at it in The Dangerous Games.

Then Granta Omega emerges and we are only to learn that he is Xanatos' son??? Whoa! I'd either forgotten that before, or hadn't read that far.

Meanwhile, the Senate is more and more corrupted, as evidenced by Sauno Saro amongst others.

And Jenna Zan Arbor returns with the State of Contentment thing.

The School of Fear was really good - seeing Anakin interact with young rebels was cool - plus just the clear illustrating of his brain's operating differently from every other Jedi - from his confidence to his heart. The rift between him and Obi-Wan is really well-characterized and we can see how the two of them had difficulties connecting a bit. Playing with Anakin is like playing with fire. I think Jude Watson enjoyed it. He's a threatening character even when he's trying to do the right thing.

In The Shadow Trap that thing got Yaddle killed. Now 2 members of the High Council are dead and evil is spreading everywhere in the galaxy. I'm sure what was Offworld and now is being run by Xanatos' son will hook up with Separatist interests before long. I don't think I'd read this whole series before.

But memorable moments include when Obi-Wan fell into the nest of gundarks as described during Episode Two.

Jude Watson's Jedi characters like Chlee-Rhara and Garen Muln still charm and she writes very well about an early Jedi Assault Squad in The Moment of Truth that brings back visions of the Jedi charge on Geonosis during the early part of the Arena Battle.

I also really like Anakin's one Jedi friend, Tru Veld. You see the good that was in him. What he might have been like had he remained a Jedi Knight to the end.

Well, I saw Return of the Jedi, so I guess he did...but I meant it "earlier" I guess.

Tycho
06-14-2005, 01:29 AM
It's been a wild ride to the end of the Jedi Quest series.

THE FINAL SHOWDOWN was awesome!

The Jedi including Anakin and Obi-Wan landing on Korriban!!!

Entering into the Secret Valley of the Dark Lords!

Engaging a Sith (likely Dooku) before they even knew he ever turned! (It had to be Darth Tyranus - I don't think Sidious could leave Coruscant at that time).

But the way it was done - so they didn't get close enough to ID the Sith - and the only witness who did (Aubern) died at the scene before she could tell them.

Darra Thel-Thanis killed! I'd had high hopes that Anakin would have had a little Jedi girlfriend. She was cute - and her safety meant a lot to Anakin once. Now she's killed - brutally shot down as the Super Battle Droids were revealed by the Commerce Guild for the first time, as is their relationship with Granta Omega and his fortune, the inheritance of OffWorld Mininig Corp.

Obi-Wan finally killing Granta Omega, and ending his first man-hunt Obsession.

Dr. Jenna Zan Arbor - escaped and left still at large.

The Sith, using all the Dark Powers available to him on Korriban to unleash hell onto the Jedi in the decrepid tombs of their long dead Dark Lords, along with flesh eating alchemied Zombies. It HAD to be either Sidious or Tyranus. More likely Tyranus - so this faceless Sith could have been Dooku at his utmost worst. Only luck prevented less Jedi (of the 8 in their strike team) from dying, as would later be the case on Geonosis.

Korriban made for a much darker and creepier setting though.

FERUS OLIN - leaving the Jedi Order! (Anakin, somewhat indirectly at fault)

Tru Veld - taking back what had been Anakin's closest friendship with any Jedi as his evaluation of Anakin Skywalker arrived at the conclusion that Anakin was one for the worst.

Obi-Wan, sure that Anakin lies to him and worries about the future and what that may mean- and what kind of Jedi his apprentice will become.

Anakin vowing to solve everything by growing so much more powerful that one day he won't need his master. - and his subconscious thoughts that the Jedi are holding him back from protecting his mother.

Wow! There was a lot to take home with me from "The Final Showdown!" This is close to one of Jude Watson's finest books!

Tycho
06-14-2005, 01:23 PM
HONOR AND DUTY (Republic 46, 47, 48) was awesome!

It's really something when a comic book can make you feel the anguish and pain of the characters - and even cause you to listen to tragic music (Order 66 on the ROTS soundtrack) when you want to feel empathy with what you've read - or even moreso, you can't help it.

But seeing Saguro Autem's family ripped apart was heart rendering.

You hate the Sith for the destruction they've caused to befall the Republic, and this takes you straight down to the individual lives they've affected, includng and tragically those of the Blue Senate Guard whom so give so much of themselves to serve the Republic.

Are you guys up on this? It is only weeks prior to the outbreak of the Clone Wars. In fact, the poor Autem family, one dead, the rest spread out to the wings of the galaxy, stripped of their honor, poor, and desperate, will land right in the middle of the attrocities of the Clone Wars in future comics to come (Shaak-Ti Jedi Councilor to be precise).

The situation was a banking reform act to get the Commerce Guild, Banking Clan, Techno Union, Corporate Alliance, Trade Federation and others under control.

Senators were being assasinated so the greedy to hold onto their power. Most likely the future-Separatists were paying the bounties.

Obi-Wan and Anakin as well as Isaro and Sogaru Autem from the Senate Guards were assigned to protect a replacement Senator who represented a swing vote.

Autem's older brother had been a guard, but sold out and went to prison in the years prior. Now released, he saw the Republic as the instrument that corrupted him and he sides with the Separatists. Saguro's framed by his brother who uses his access codes and attains them from Saguro's son, the rebel nephew who's revolting against his father's plans to send him to the guard academy and take him away from his alien Felicat girlfriend.

The mother can't believe the lack of sympathy Saguro's honor demands he does NOT show his older brother or his son. She takes her daughter and leaves him, while his son must be set free or he'll be an accessory to attempted murder of the Senator Obi-Wan was assigned to protect. Autem lets his boy escapes and is charged with obstructing justice and sent to prison instead. In the end, Palpatine cancels the vote, further frustrating all the Loyalists and Separatists both. You just shake with rage as his games have ruined the Autem family's lives.

Now the son goes with his girlfriend and no money out to the Rim Worlds to make whatever kind of living he can with no family to support him as those worlds become dangerously restless and set onto the brink of war.

Meanwhile the father goes to prison, one of the last honorable men the Republic could have truly depended upon.

The mother and daughter leave, all on their own, alone in a galaxy that will destroy the weak without mercy.

And the Republic teaters on the brink of Civil War as the Separatists unite!

For a comic, that was one hell of a ride. John Ostrander is Dark Horse's best author and he doesn't disapoint here!

Tycho
06-23-2005, 12:31 AM
This page marks the beginning of discussion on THE CLONE WARS.

I'm starting with the last chapter before the total Separatist secession break and the formation of the Confederacy of Independant Systems ( CIS )

THE APPROACHING STORM (aka, "a border dispute on Ansion").

I'm not through re-reading it completely yet, but I am gaining interest as I go on. I haven't read the Med-Star duology but WILL this time around through the Clone Wars adventures, but it seems like Approaching Storm really introduces Bariss' character well. You immediately start to like her and Luminara.

Obi-Wan and Anakin are harder to get to know in this novel. Anakin's probably having troubles with his dreams about his mother, but he isn't forthcoming about it to the other characters in this book, nor is it really mentioned.

The cultural exploration of the tribes of the Alwari is interesting, as is what is probably the Jedi's last peace-time adventure (though there are less tense moments during the times of the Clone Wars, just fewer and far less between.

TAS is not one of my favorite books, nor a total page-turner like Labrynth of Evil, but it is OK and enjoyable. It leads agreeably into Attack of the Clones.

It also develops Shu Mai's character. Save for Nute Gunray and a passing knowledge of Passal Argente in one of Jude Watson's books, most of the Separatists were not really developed before the Clone Wars. While Shu Mai is not by far an interesting character to me, she is not boring either. It's good to have some background.

Rocketboy
06-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm reading TAS right now, along with 2 other books, so I'm not moving too fast with it.
Decent book so far, but gets a bit too slow at times. The tribes do seem to be well developed, at times almost too well developed, which slows things down.

mastermatt24
06-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Im a very visual person when I read and what bothered me about TAS was that I had no idea what Bariss, Luminara or Shu Mai looked like. As far as lead in novels go, I thought that LOE was MUCH better than TAS. When I first saw AOTC I didnt even catch the Windu line about the border dispute.. :neutral: It was ok, but by far not my favorite. :ermm:

Tycho
06-26-2005, 07:37 AM
TAS was worth reading - a nice walk through the Jedi's last peace-time adventure. Tookkli was adorable and Barriss' interaction with him priceless to developing her's and Luminara's characters. The book leaves you feeling like you have someting invested in their characters.

I'm now reading the Novelization to ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

It strikes you immediately that it is a far better read than the novelization to The Phantom Menace, probably because more is going on at this time in the film history than in TPM.

But also, the novelization of AOTC starts to immediately become apparent that it is better than the MOVIE!

The dialogue explains more for one:

1) Padme (and therefore Naboo, and you must think then Palpatine's "official position") was AGAINST creating the Army of the Republic. (we know as Darth Sidious and through agents untraceable to him (Dooku, et all), he wanted to start the war of course)

2) The characters react to it not making sense that Dooku and the Separatists would try to kill Padme at this juncture. - If she swung a favorable turn against the Military Creation Act, the separatists could win if they outright wanted to separate - there'd be no Republic Army to stop them.
Of course, in reality, Palpatine needed her out of the way and he could "change sides" on the Military Act were his loyal Senator from his homeworld tragically killed. Meanwhile for reasons of revenge, Nute Gunray wanted her dead anyway. Plus, the Trade Federation was preparing for war. It is questionable whether the TF wanted to go to war, or knew that Dooku was going to lead them into one? Dooku told Obi-Wan that Darth Sidious had abandoned them after Naboo and that (as Dooku, not Darth Tyranus) he had been asked to help them. However, in ROTS, we still see Gunray taking orders from Sidious, so that must have been a lie that Dooku told Obi-Wan, or the Sith had reeled the TF back in by that time. Grievous was aware that Dooku was a Sith Lord. It's possible that Nute Gunray was as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, you get the backstory on how Shmi Skywalker was happy, how close she was to the Lars, and the actual events surrounding her capture by the Sandpeople. You also witness the ill-fated moisture farmer retalliation in which nearly 30 are killed and Cliegg Lars loses his leg and young Owen acts heroically to save their family.

You also see Sola Naberrie bringing her sister around to thoughts of starting a family and giving up the dangers of public service - ironically just prior to several attempts on Padme's life. This all helps us understand her eventually falling in love with Anakin.

You also get inside Anakin's head a little and catch up with everything he's fantasized about having with Padme since he'd met her, and how obsessive he is - not to mention how inconvenient it is to have Obi-Wan on his back embarrassing him in front of her. "And you will pay attention to my lead!"

Reading this offers more substance than the movie and I think the principal characters are old enough now that they have become truly interesting. You also glimpse their hopes and dreams of how life could be for them had the galaxy never erupted into the Clone Wars. This is only days before Geonosis, too.

Tycho
06-29-2005, 01:09 AM
As I'm getting further into it, it's worth reading all over again because of the great detail they go into developing Jango and Boba Fett's relationship, as well as Obi-Wan's perceptions of Count Dooku and his background - including even what other Jedi like Jocasta Nu think of him.

It's good to have solid introductions to new characters. Jango and Dooku were under-utilized in the movie and are interesting characters all on their own.

Episode 2 did well to introduce them to the Star Wars mythos.

Tycho
07-04-2005, 01:47 PM
The Young BOBA FETT series books (# 1- 3 ) are next on the Clone Wars reading list immediately following the movie.

This as well as Episode Two really helped me grow into being a Boba Fett fan.

I think I avoided his cult following in Classic SW fandom because it seemed a bit irrational to like a guy with no higher moral calling to find allegiance with either the Rebels, or even the Imperials. Everyone made a big deal out of a guy with dubious skills that weren't really shown off in the Classic Movies and who was not a principal player in the Jedi vs. Sith struggle. He was just some random guy with mysterious origins and a warrior-cult history who made Han Solo's life miserable. If you were a Han-Fan, Fett was a really bad day.

Well seeing the relationship with his father, and even prior to that, how Jango's life unfolded into his being orphaned by the Death Squad and then becoming the chosen apprentice and successor to Jaster Mureel, the Fetts suddenly became really interesting to me.

AOTC did more for me for my appreciation for Boba Fett than any of the Classics.

During the Clone Wars, seeing what they could do gave me better estimations of Boba Fett's own abilities, as well as how much he depended upon them for survival. I also learned how and what became the source of his cool detachment and mercenary attitude and how he fell in with Jabba the Hutt, the relationship there, ever since he was the young kid who defeated Durge. I could see how that greatly amused Jabba who was fond of unpredictability - when he could employ it to his own use.

Funny, but here you get more insights into Jabba's character as well, his first real appearance being when Ki-Adi Mundi went against him in Prelude to Rebellion, I think.

Anyway, more discussion on the first 3 Boba Fett books could follow.

Tycho
07-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Well the introduction of Bespin's Cloud City and the fight with Aurra Sing was fun.

Now we are fully engaged in the Clone Wars!

Grievous was introduced in Visionaries and is presently being trained by Count Dooku, who just blasted his way off Raxis Prime.

In "Tides of Terror," Aayla Secura and Kit Fisto first become close as they return to Geonosis to train with the Clones and protect them from the Separatists' next logical move - introducing a virus to wipe out all the Clones and with it Kamino's fighting force, thus securing the victory in the war. Aayla and Kit foil their plans however, and the Separatists will have to try the more conventional approach when winning a bloodless battle no longer seems possible.

Asajj Ventress is the next key Separatist to be introduced - this time by episodes 6 & 7 of the CLONE WARS Cartoon Series. These episodes actually take place before all the rest of them (1-5, and 8-20) which can be viewed in order later, when they fall into the chronology. Ventress' introduction is terrific - in the arena fight to be followed by her test in combat against Darth Tyranus himself. Ventress was "Starscream" to Dooku's "Megatron." Naturally, that sort of underling tension was fun to have ongoing during the Clone Wars. (Hehe, Grievous was like Soundwave and Durge like Thundercracker, while of course Sidious could only be someone as powerful as Unicron, to make the comparison complete.)

Aayla Secura meanwhile journeys off Kamino to locate Quinlan Vos who's been deeply affected by Geonosis - he didn't fight there but was shocked by the loss of Jedi and started rethinking everything about his allegiance and the Jedi's allignment with the Senate. He wouldn't be the first. Meanwhile in Republic 49, they trick the Separatists into thinking they don't know they intercepted the plans for a 2nd, and full-out-assault strike on Kamino. However, in a great use of Sidious' character and cunning, the Jedi don't know that he's sending Meral, a powerful Mon Calamari commander to fail, so that loyal Quarren Separatists can continue to hold power over the two aquatic species' homeworld. It's just like the Sith duplicity. The Mon Cal are still honorable, they just wanted freedom from the Republic's corruption, while their Quarren Senator and business leaders (Tikkes, Tessek, etc.) are on the take by the Separatists, and unwittingly, by the Sith.

THE BATTLE FOR KAMINO introduced Alpha and the ARC TROOPERS - by far one of the coolest developments in the Clone Wars. The war was a great super-issue for Dark Horse (Republic # 50) and seriously rocked. Jan Duursema's splash page depicting everything going on in Anakin's confused mind when Obi-Wan asks him "what's wrong" was wonderful: the death of his mom, his young marriage with Padme, Qui-Gon's loss, the slaughter of the Tusken Raiders, etc. If you could ever visually see inside Anakin's head...

MACE WINDU - the first one-shot for Jedi Generals was a great story arc - probably the best in the singular Jedi series, as he tries to convince Jeisel, K'Kruhk, Mira, and Rhad Sorn not to leave the Jedi Order, and is betrayed by Sora Bulq's turn to the Dark Side. Sort of introduced in AOTC, Sora Bulq becomes part of Darth Tyranus' great council of Dark Jedi, along with Ventress who makes her first comic book appearance here, since her introduction in the Clone Wars cartoon. She helps kill several Jedi (taking down Mira herself, and forcing Jeisel to kill Rhad Sorn). Mace escapes Sora Bulq's droid army with K'Kruhk and Jeisel. The Whipid Jedi Master will return to fight with the Republic Army. Jeisel elects not to, and she may still be alive out there to this day, even after the Great Jedi Purge in Revenge of the Sith.
Mace Windu was such as great comic to read! With more Jedi and the Order's issues to explore, the comic actually rivals "Shatterpoint" as Mace Windu's finest story.

Boba Fett takes on the final Separatist "great" to be introduced, as Dooku hires Durge to hunt him down and is tracked to Jabba's Palace as young Fett tries to make a name for himself struggling to survive. A great book (#4 in the Fett series) you see Boba do what Anakin always wanted to: free the slaves. You see Boba become famous and a hero to many who will grow up to remember him - all because of him. Boba's first "contract kill" is done with, not exactly by his own hand, but by his engineering, and Boba takes his first pay. Meanwhile, with Boba under Jabba's protection, and a mission on Omah D'un, a moon of Naboo, requiring serious attention, Dooku recalls Durge to the Naboo system to assist Ventress.

Obi-Wan and Anakin first encounter Ventress and Durge on Omah D'un, and the rivalry begins! This is their first engagement against each other. Republic 51-53.

Durge fights both of them, mostly Anakin and Alpha, the ARC Trooper that Durge really wants to kill.

Ventress engages only Obi-Wan and several other Jedi in this one. She will not face Anakin until later.

A great story has Ventress using the Dark Side to re-annimate dead Gungan corpses to attack the young Jedi strike team. Truly wicked!

Tycho
07-06-2005, 04:12 PM
The Clone Wars Adventure booklets done in the style of the cartoon show are fun reads. I especially liked the one with Kit Fisto that explained the civil war on Mon Calamari as the Mon Cals decided they weren't going to stay allied with the Separatists as the Quarren had chosen.

Tycho
07-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I just finished reading Republic Clone Commando and it rocked!

I had a hard time beginning this book and wondered whether "day-to-day grunt life" was going anywhere. Then the mission, the shapeshifters, the Jedi and Clones vs. a real Death Watch Mandalorian - all of that got really deep and very interesting. This book really brought the war home and showed how it was changing many of the Jedi.

I'm glad there is going to be a sequel. I'd like to follow this squad all the way through Order 66 and see if they're around Etain then. It will be quite interesting.

Tycho
07-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Dark Horse and the team of John Ostrander and Jan Duursema did a great job on the trials of Quinlan Vos!

I love how he went undercover and posed as a defector to the Republic, even deliberately misleading Agen Kolar and engaging him, while struggling with his own Dark Side.

Then Aayla took on Aurra Sing! Wow. If I'm not mistaken, this is the last we've seen of Aurra Sing in the expanded universe so far. She's not dead - but when we last saw her, she was in maximum security custody. Aayla was the prefect Jedi Knight to go after Aurra Sing. This story truly heightened my respect for Aayla to its highest levels.

Then we went back to Count Dooku and Quinlan Vos. Dooku is a master at bringing out the Dark Side in Quinlan, using the truth about what happened to his parents to get him to murder Sheyf Tinte, leader of Kiffu.

Dooku's Dark Siders now include a whole motley assortment:

Dooku
General Grievous
Commander Ventress
Aurra Sing (only when paid as freelance)
Sora Bulq
Quinlan Vos (infiltrated agent)
that human dude with the long hair that reminds me of Sabertoothe
the dark Jedi chick - i think Quinlan killed her...
Durge
Jango Fett (dead)
Zam Wessel (dead)

Old rumors once said that to become Sith Lord, Darth Vader had to slay all the other contenders so that only he would rule by the Emperor's side.

He kills Dooku. Grievous wasn't a Dark Jedi, but Kenobi took him out.
Ventress? Well her fate remains to be seen. Sora Bulq was eliminated at last. Anakin also took care of Durge in addition to Dooku.

In any case, the Separatists (the Sith really), had amassed some talent. Enough to cause some trouble anyway. The best of the lot still remained with the Republic: Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, Mace, Ki-Adi Mundi - to name the most effective.

Well, speaking of Mace, I've begun re-reading Shatterpoint The first time I read it I didn't care that much about Mace, and espcially Depa Billaba. That changed after I finished the book and I'm really enjoying it the 2nd time through - also with hindsight from Emissaries to Malastare in which we were first introduced to Nek Battle Dogs. This story is the best insight into Mace Windu until Labrynth of Evil. Mace is still an underutilized character in the expanded universe and his screen time was powerful, but minimal for a Jedi of his importance. Anyway, I keep my Mace Windu action figure nearby as I read on about his story. This even brings the war into much harsher focus and lets us get to know Depa who we've never really covered that deeply before.

El Chuxter
07-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Slightly less canon, but an aging Aurra Sing returns slightly before ROTJ in the Playstation game Demolition. I'm not sure what the story is supposed to be there.

Tycho
07-26-2005, 12:34 AM
I'd forgotten how good SHATTERPOINT was! Kar Vastor now has made an unforgettable antagonist for me. Wow!

In that hand-to-hand fight where he kicked the living crap out of Mace - that was truly scary - the bite for the jugular - everything.

The real-time war delemma they are in, Depa Billaba's soul at stake, everything...

This is probably as adult and horrific as any Star Wars novel in the continuity thus far.

Matthew Stover is as brutal of author as he is talented!

Tycho
07-28-2005, 01:33 PM
I read Legacy of the Jedi (the final Obi-Wan, Anakin part) without much impression.

They got close to Count Dooku but he opted to escape instead of trying to finish them as he did in ROTS. A curious choice, but he was trying to assasinate 4 planetary leaders with like 100 Super Battle Droids so I don't think he wanted to stay in the room.

Anakin's desire for revenge against Dooku is pretty well characterized though.

Still, after Shatterpoint, it seems like Kenobi and Skywalker get the EASY assignments. They'd never have made it through what Mace did.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cestus Deception is next. I'm disappointed as I start this, though it has just started getting a lot better. To be sure, it's comparable to Clone Commando or something though. Shatterpoint's just tough to compete with.

Fizzik is interesting and his journey into the underground to see his brother the crime boss is reading well. That much is cool.

Anakin? Why isn't he with Obi-Wan? What's he doing? This is supposed to take place BEFORE Jabiim according to the timelines. Anakin's not a knight yet, and he hates being left in the temple. Why isn't he with Obi-Wan?

Bant was padawan to Kit Fisto. Could there be a flashback mention of her?

I think exploring Kit might be cool. But so far, he is not developed as a character to me yet. There are some things about him yes, but he's sort of a straigt man or an offensive tackle if you will. I'm still hoping for more.

Nate (ARC Trooper A-98) is seriously cool though. The insight into the Clones' training was nice and a cool follow-up to what I learned in Republic Clone Commando - a book I just recently enjoyed (see review above).

Obi-Wan is well characterized, the cautious Jedi. He's almost boring unless you realize he's going to survive this whole thing and you'll see the Clone Wars through his eyes.

As to the Jedi Killer droids? They migth become cool, but a prototype doesn't seem as threatening as the bio-weapon in RCC or the brutal guerilla war being fought in Shatterpoint. If and when I see a ton of these Jedi Killer droids in action - then maybe. But the title "Cestus DECEPTION" might already have me wondering if there actually are no other Jedi Killer droids. Palpatine was at the demonstration - mabye he manipulated the Droid with the Force or something undetected by Kit and Obi-Wan?

I'll wait and see. So far, this is shaping up. I have no idea if in the end I'm going to like it the story.

The author Steven Barnes writes the story well though. If his plot outline is half as good as his skills telling action sequences, this will work out alright. I'm also hoping for a stronger characterization of Kit Fisto.

El Chuxter
07-28-2005, 02:02 PM
I plan to do something along the lines of what you're doing in the future, Tycho. But as I read your updates, I have to wonder if you're including stuff like Hyperspace exclusive stories, Insider stories, and (gasp) video games.

'Cause if you throw in The Clone Wars, Anakin was running into Dooku more times between AOTC and ROTS than Luke ran into Vader in between films in the OT. :eek:

Tycho
07-28-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm reading hyperspace stories because theForce.net's timeline has a direct link to them and I'm paying for Hyperspace anyway.

I'm skipping Insider stories, as I usually recycle mine with my newspapers and don't have a collection to assemble "to-be-continued" storylines with them.

I don't play video games, perhaps minus the exception of Rogue Squadron which I haven't played in ages. 1st persons make me motion sick watching them, plus I just don't have time to get frustrated trying to complete different levels or sub-missions. I do a lot of challenging stuff in my real life so I dont need the video-fantasy. Meanwhile, there is enough reading involved with this kind of undertaking, that I'd rather keep as close to what I enjoy:

many of the Del Rey novels like DR and LOE

almost all of Dark Horse's adventures from Jabiim, to Quinlan Vos, to Obsession.

Scholastic's Boba Fett series... (and soon Last of the Jedi)

Those'll give you 90% of everything you might want to know about the EU.

I'm also keeping a list of scenes one could set up with the figures (with as few of customs as possible) and don't need to make it more cost-prohibitive than it already is!

InsaneJediGirl
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
In a chronological related question,in Star Wars Tales,Quinlan lives to see Han Solo. Yet we hear he is dead a few weeks after Order 66. Has any explaination been given for this,or just a simple case of someone not checking facts as usual.

Rocketboy
01-27-2006, 10:19 PM
The Quinlan Vos thing could be cleared up as soon as the next issue of Republic arrives.

But weren't all the Tales stories labled as "Infinites" stories anyway?
Or did they go back and say that some were not included in "Infinities?"

InsaneJediGirl
01-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Not sure,I got it in the Volume form the other day,so I wasnt quite sure. I always thought they were more stories that were just fillers and didnt interfere chronologically. Its hard to say

Tycho
01-27-2006, 10:36 PM
"Stop it."

"Stop what?"

"You're dead."

"I'm not dead."

"You're bothering me because I'm still alive."

"I'm not bothering you. You happen to owe me money."

"I owe a lot of people money. You don't see them bothering me, do you?"

"The rest are dead aren't they?"

"Yup. Hey Chewie: could you come here for a minute?"

Rocketboy
01-27-2006, 10:36 PM
It's really a shame if all the Tales stories are considered Infinities.
There were a few really good ones in there that fit well with continuity and didn't screw anything up, like story with Vader and Threepio on Bespin (which had that great Hanmet-style cover of Vader holding Threepio's head).

El Chuxter
01-27-2006, 10:49 PM
They said about halfway through the run that the stories in Tales were Infinities. They didn't specifically negate any stories that had come before. I think the stories that fit well into continuity (like "The Death of Captain Tarpals") still are right, but they could better make excuses for those that didn't (Quinlan meets Han) or were obviously not canon but are still better than The Crystal Star ("Skippy the Jedi Droid").

InsaneJediGirl
01-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Hey,I enjoyed Skippy the Jedi Droid :D Whats more entertaining?

Some of the stories do fit really well (Kit/Aayla stuff was certainly crossed over into Republic). I just think LFL needs to check more before writing one thing and having stuff already written on it. Similar to all the books and comics coming out before ROTS with Anakin and Obi-Wan adventures. With the way they were set up there is no way the two could have done everything written.

Tycho
01-29-2006, 12:41 AM
I've made some progress re-starting Cestus Deception. I'm at the part where Asajj scouts out Obi-Wan at the X'Ting ball. Nate is getting interesting, as is Ventress. If I can get through this, I'll pick up speed going through the chronology again. I want to get to Jabiim and I'm not altogether sure TFN got it right that Jabiim doesn't take place before Cestus. They're saying "after." Right now that's how I'm reading it as well and I tend to agree. Ventress had Kenobi as her prisoner after Jabiim (when Anakin trained with Ki-Adi Mundi and A'Sharad Hett). We'll see if this is the right order for messing with Dark Horse and Del Rey while there seems to have possibly been lack of communication between them during this time in the Clone Wars.

El Chuxter
01-29-2006, 03:57 PM
IJG, I said "Skippy the Jedi Droid" was better than The Crystal Star but not canon because it's freaking hilarious, but try to actually fit it into canon, and your head will explode.

Same goes for "Pulp Jedi," "A Death Star Is Born," and most of the other early humor stories. A lot of the later ones (at least the ones not by Kevin Rubio) were ridiculous stupid. WTF was with the Gungan/Moby Dick story? Or the stupid story with the photo art about the bartender swearing Han and Chewie were smuggling birds called Kessels?

If the quality had been consistent, that book could still be going strong now. But somewhere after the first year, the bar dropped from "really high" to "about thirty stories south of hell itself."

Tycho
02-12-2006, 12:59 PM
I finally finished Cestus Deception and was very pleasantly surprised!

Sheeka and Jangostat (Rep. Clone Commander Nate) were well-written characters and I warmed up to Regent Duris, Trillot, Quill, and all the X'Ting once I got used to them.

Obi-Wan and Kit Fisto's stunt was cool reading about as well. Ventress was written for as awesome!

I'm now deep into the Last Stand on Jabiim comics, which is next in order and continues Ventress harrowing Obi-Wan, while Anakin deals with A'Sharad Hett while he believes Obi-Wan is . We also see Bariss in one of her first adventures as a Jedi Healer following her knighthood in the CW cartoons. DarkHorse did a darn good job around this time frame in the Clone Wars!

Tycho
02-14-2006, 12:49 AM
To continue, I can't get enough of Quinlan Vos! I so wish he'd been in the movie if only for an Order-66 scene. He's a great character I've enjoyed for many years now.

Rocketboy
02-14-2006, 10:19 AM
To continue, I can't get enough of Quinlan Vos! I so wish he'd been in the movie if only for an Order-66 scene. He's a great character I've enjoyed for many years now.If he were in the movie, then he probably would've been killed.

TFN ran a report on Vos yesterday, but there are some possible Republic spoilers ahead for anyone that hasn't read #83:

I did have a other bit of news but I'm not sure if it's something you'd want to print but I was talking to Dan Parsons who inks for Star Wars Republic and he told me that Lucas himself requested that Quinlan Vos does not die in Republic #83, where Order 66 overlaps with the comics. Perhaps Quinn is destined to become a TV star?

Tycho
02-14-2006, 02:53 PM
That could be interesting. I wonder if "Doug" (Jan Duursema's model for Quin that she tours with) would try out for the role. He's a construction contractor if I recall - but so was Harrison Ford (not that there's even a comparison).

Yeah, Dark Horse sure did a great job making Quinlan very popular. Aayla and A'Sharad gave him a slight run for the money, but never underestimate the Dark Side of the Force!