PDA

View Full Version : R5-d4

mtriv73
03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
How many times do we have to beg for a good sculpt of an R5 hasbro? I've been a good boy, I've bought all the figures you've put out since the POTF2 line. All I'm asking for is a R5. Not a Disney exclusive that is overpriced and scupted with 2 freaky eye sockets and not a freakish figure with laser cannons and a proton torpedo, but a basic figure of a simple astromech. I thought for sure that there would be one included in the OTC line (it would have been perfect and it would have sold VERY well.) Then, when I saw the vanity fair article with the pictures of an R5 in the ROTS droid shop, I thought there would be one included in the ROTS line. So far, no mention of it. This isn't some obscure 6 breasted dancer with 10 seconds of screen time, this is a type of droid that pops up over and over in both trilogies. Please, as a favor to me, and as a favor to all the many thousands of collectors and customizers who will buy multiple copies of this figure, please release an R5-D4.

Darth Alex
04-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Hopefully, with the Early Bird Set photos showing a contiued push on ANH toys, we'll get this in 2006. If anyone at Hasbro has any sense, they'll realize this WILL sell.

mark2d2
04-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Hopefully, with the Early Bird Set photos showing a contiued push on ANH toys, we'll get this in 2006. If anyone at Hasbro has any sense, they'll realize this WILL sell.

Agreed. On the plus side, R5 will definitely be one wicked cool figure given as they seem to have really perfected astrodroid's lately with the VOTC R2 and the preview R4.

C'mon Hasbro! R5 was my favorite toy as a wee little lad. You've left me hanging on this one for far too long now. Enough is enough!

Hellboy
04-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Its pretty sad that we haven't seen a new R5-D4 yet. I mean it was 1995 when that stupid "Concealed Photon Missile Launcher" monstrosity was released and we've seen many new R2-D2s and other Astromech driods since then but no new R5. :dis: This one seems like a no-brainer to me.

Here is an idea Hasbro, pack him with a tall Jawa as a nice gesture to the fans that have been waiting over a decade now for a decent R5-D4. Do that and I'll be willing to forgive you for that terribly underscale Sandcrawler packed with two old figures and a cheap exclusive.

drsidious
04-18-2005, 01:33 AM
when i heard they were making i star tours one i got happy
then i got it, and was sad
if they could just shrink the action collection one
we'd be all set :D

Rogue II
10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Dear Hasbro,

If you read any of the fan websites, you'll realize a couple things:

1) That Holiday Vader isn't exactly...popular.
2) Those upcoming Star Wars Transformers are getting poo-pooed as well.
3) We still want R5-D4. It's a sure thing we will buy it. Check any wish list on any fan site.

You guys seem to be into repaints...just get a new R5 head and slap it on an existing R2 body. Then you can repaint it again 'til your heart's content making all those other obscure R5 units.

Thanks for listening.

Devo
10-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd say its a guarantee for this year. Hasbro must know that by releasing those EE R2/R3/R4 units they're going to make it even more glaringly obvious that there still isn't a good R5 droid out there. Also notice that the diabolical POTF2 R5 has never been reissued (other than the red/green card change) and was evidently not considered for the EE sets. I'd put money on it that he's being made as we speak, with repaints already in mind. I actually want R5-M2 (echo base) as much if not more than R5-D4.

Rogue II
10-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Wasn't there an black Imperial R5 unit as well in ROTJ?

Devo
10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Wasn't there an black Imperial R5 unit as well in ROTJ?

There was. Possibly 2 different ones I think. Thats a surefire bet once the repaints start rolling in considering we have a black R2 unit and a black R4. I wish that R4 unit were shiny like the Imperial R2 though.

Slicker
10-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Didn't they make an R5 unit for the Star Tours line?

I find it hard to believe that in Hasbros rehashing ways that they haven't even remade that monstrosity from the POTF2 line. We NEED a new one and bad.

El Chuxter
10-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Didn't they make an R5 unit for the Star Tours line?

Yeah, but the eyes protuded too much to be an accurate R5-D4.

I think they should release a new R5-D4 under his real name: Skippy.

mtriv73
10-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah, but the eyes protuded too much to be an accurate R5-D4.

I think they should release a new R5-D4 under his real name: Skippy.

And the two eyes that protruded should have been three eyes that were barely raised. Also, it had sculpted battle damaged which is ordinarily a nice touch, but doesn't lend itself to buying a bunch and doing your own repaints.

TheDarthVader
10-16-2005, 01:54 PM
I agree. We need a good sculpt of R5-D4. Hasbro should have made this years ago.

B.
TDV

Rogue II
10-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Well, if that recent 2006 list is true, I guess this thread can go away. Any bets on weather or not Hasbro gave "R5-D4: Slacker" a bad motivator action feature?

jedi master sal
10-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Well, if that recent 2006 list is true, I guess this thread can go away. Any bets on weather or not Hasbro gave "R5-D4: Slacker" a bad motivator action feature?

Heh heh, that would be funny, but I'm just glad they are making him! (Though I'll believe it when I see it) Now for the EE exclusive R5 repaint sets!

-Sal

Droid
10-20-2005, 02:44 PM
I hope for everyone's sanity it is a resculpt. Can you imagine how everyone will react if it is a rerelease of the first R5-D4?

Or maybe even worse, if they make one with some sort of bad motivator damage that is an action feature that ruins the figure. Think Dannik Jerriko's
"tentacles."

Then Hasbro would say, "What do you mean you want an R5-D4? We just DID R5-D4."

Rogue II
10-20-2005, 03:25 PM
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. They have made some lousy action feature R2-D2s for the prequels lately. If they make his bad motivator simple like R2's periscope, it might not be too bad. But, I'd be happy with just a new R5 head on one of the existing astromech droid bodies with a retractible 3rd leg.

In the long run, and if it is a good scuplt, I'd like them repaint this figure for the various other R5 units rolling around in the OT. They don't even have to be carded, just slip them in to Mos Eisley, Rebel, or Imperial multi-figure packs with other army builders. They did it with the R4 and R3 units (Saga Rebel Hoth and Imperial pack)

ROTJLuke
11-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I think this will be a great R5-D4 figure, and it should turn out to be one of the highlights of the year. :) just remember guys, NO ACTION FEATURES! WERE FREE FROM THE OPPRESSION OF ACTION FEATURES!!!

JEDIpartner
11-08-2005, 08:52 AM
If they base it off of the ROTS astromech mould, it will be pure gold.