PDA

View Full Version : What did you buy at MM in 1999?

General_Grievous
03-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I didn't go to MM in May 1999, I went to buy my figures on the day of May 3 with my mom and dad. But I found everything there that I wanted. I got:

Basic Figures
Darth Maul (I was lucky to score this baby)
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Qui-Gon Jinn
Jar Jar Binks
Anakin Skywalker
Battle Droid
Padme Naberrie
Queen Amidala
Mace Windu
Watto
C-3PO
Darth Sidious
Boss Nass
Senator Palpatine
Ki-Adi Mundi
Ric Olie
Gasgano w/ Pit Droid
Chancellor Valorum

That did it for May 3. But about a few weeks later, I also accumulated:

The Naboo Fighter
Anakin's Podracer
Sebulba's Podracer
Droid Starfighter 3-pack

What did you guys buy?

Kidhuman
03-05-2005, 03:09 PM
I bought a ton of figures that night:

Qui-Gon
Anakin
Obi-Wan
Darth Maul
Mace Windu
Padme
Queen Amadala
Ric Olie
3PO
Valloirum
Palpantine
JJB.
Battle Droids

The onlyone I remember passing on was Ki-Adi. I ended up getting him at a scalper shop(collectable place) for 20 bucks. And wouldnt you know, two weeks later he was everywhere.

Slicker
03-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I really don't remember what I got that night because I unfortunately wasn't able to go. But my brother went for me and I gave him $200 and told him to get as much as possible. I remember him waking me at about 1 in the morning to show me "my" finds. The only one that I remember not getting was Darth Maul and that's because my brother had him but let someone else buy him instead.

Ji'dai
03-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Didn't go to Episode I MM but that afternoon I hit Wal-Mart and TRU and bought all figures but Darth Maul. But I stopped at K-Mart afterward and found him so it wasn't a big deal. I also bought a CommTech Reader.

I did buy the deluxe accessory sets but wasn't too impressed with those after opening them. Also bought those "battle bags" but later returned them. I passed on the vehicles and beasts, but eventually bought some of them on clearance several months later.

Since I wasn't too enthused about the movie I was mostly apathetic about collecting the toys. I have a lot of holes in my prequel collection but I'm not really interested in filling them even today.

General_Grievous
03-05-2005, 10:37 PM
I also forgot to mention that I picked up the Opee and the Kaadu on May 3 as well.

Bobby Fett
03-05-2005, 11:39 PM
I bought Darth Maul and an armload of Battle Droids. Those are the only carded Ep1 figures I own to this day.

sith_killer_99
03-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I bought nothing.

But eventually I found every basic carded figure from the line. My EP1 carded collection is now complete, minus a few "variations" but I could care less about those.

I kinda wish I had the money to complete my bonus figure EP1 collection. I currently have several of the "Bonus Battle Droid" and a few of the "Bonus Pit Droid" figures carded. I would still have to drop a bundle to complete that collection. It's just not worth it to me, given my level of income.

Droid
03-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I bought everything that came out at the first Midnight Madness for the 3 and 3/4 line.

In 2002, the day after Midnight Madness, I bought: Peasant Disguise Anakin, Arena Padme, Coruscant Chase Obi-wan, Jango Fett, Boba Fett, C-3P0, R2-D2, and female Tusken Raider. A couple days after that I bought Hangar Duel Anakin, Count Dooku, and Yoda. There are still some Episode II figures I don't have and I never bought any of the vehicles. In other words, I scaled WAY back.

Kidhuman
03-06-2005, 02:55 PM
I forgot I also bought an Opee w/ Qui-gon and a 12" Amidala(no idea why I bought it). It was midnight and I was 100 sheets tothe wind....

Hellboy
03-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Even though I was collecting SW toys at the time I didn't go to MM back in 1999. Eventually I did pick up all of the figures I wanted for my loose collection and a complete carded set to cover my walls though. Looking back I'm glad I didn't go because I probably would've bought into the hype and spent way to much money on what I feel was one of the weaker SW toy runs.

garbognar
03-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Since I was the only person who went to k-mart early I picked up all the basic figures, all the deluxe figures,the opee and kaadu, the comm-tech reader, and the sith speeder. I also picked up a few Darth Mauls for my friends. To this day the Sebulba podracer is the only large Ep1 vehicle I own.
I had to go through the local comic shop to get the 12" line. Fortunately I know the owner pretty well and got the Qui-Gonn and JarJar(why?) for retail, but paid slightly more for Maul.
When I first went in on may 3rd I made a mad dash for the toy section, only to find no Star Wars stuff. Just as I was about to scream, the people at the front counter made the announcement that all of the new toys were at the front of the store. Like a moron I had run right by them.
I was actually pretty nervous because the boxes of the figures had been just sitting in the toy section for weeks. I had tried to buy some of them because the boxes were open and some of them were already on shelves. I was so ****ed when I went to the front with Darth Maul and they said they couldn't sell them yet. They were already on the shelves! Then the idiots thought that the no-sell date applied to ALL Star Wars toys. They wouldn't even sell POTF2 stuff like the flashback photo figures THAT WERE ON THE SHELVES! About five days before they could sell them they finally took the boxes into the back. oy.

Jayspawn
03-17-2005, 09:40 AM
The only item I wanted at the TRU Midnight Madness in 1999 was the Liam Neeson action figure. It was chaos of course and it was looking like I wasnt getting one. Then Store Managers made people who were planning on buying 'carts' full put them back. So I walked with my Qui-Gon Jinn figure and I was happy.

mm74md
03-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I wasn't that into collecting back then. Apart from my vintage stuff from when I was a kid, all I had was a POTF Vader and R2 sitting on my computer desk.

I do remember buying Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul a few weeks before seeing the movie. Then when I saw the movie, it was all down hill from there ;)

CaptainSolo1138
03-24-2005, 10:47 AM
I don't remember exactly what I got, but I know I only picked up a few figures. The next day is when I went nuts. I finished off most of the figure assortment and got both pods.

OC47150
03-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Like CaptainSolo1138, I don't remember specifically what I picked up other than the basic figures. I bought beasts and ships later.

My buddy and I were returning home that night from C1 and headed straight from the airport to TRU. We got there about 5 - 10 minutes after the store opened, but the freeforall was still going on strong! We threw figues into a cart and went down a side aisle to divide them up.

hestep99
04-05-2005, 07:12 PM
I was in high school and I lived in a small town. Couldn't go but wanted to.

jedi master sal
04-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Wow, you're going back a ways. I'll try to remember this, but the list will definitely not be complete.

I can say that I spent $300. That much I remember with crystal clear clarity.

1 of each figure
1 each of the deluxe figs
Jabba Glob
Opee w/ Qui-gon
12 inch Qui/Obi/Jar Jar (Didn't get the Maul until MUCH later)
Naboo fighter
I think one of the Naboo speeders

Ah heck that's all I can recall off hand. I'd have to dig extremely deep to find the exact list. (I'm old-35, so I don't remember these things as well as I used to....ha ha ha)

JediTricks
04-06-2005, 11:12 PM
12" Ep 1 Obi-Wan was released in wave 3, 4 months after the movie opened. ;) The Flash Speeder was released a month after the movie opened. I have no idea why I remember both of these so clearly, TPM disease I guess. :p

jedi master sal
04-08-2005, 12:24 PM
12" Ep 1 Obi-Wan was released in wave 3, 4 months after the movie opened. ;) The Flash Speeder was released a month after the movie opened. I have no idea why I remember both of these so clearly, TPM disease I guess. :p

Bah, that's why I wrote the disclaimer that I'm an old fart. I know I spent $300, just can't remember exactly what is was I got on that day.

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh, so that's why you wrote it. ;) Yeah, I spent way too much that night as well, I got hit in the face several times by flying action figures in the middle of a mob, and the only Darth Maul I got that night was the deluxe version, but I don't remember exactly what else I got either.

princethomas
04-10-2005, 10:47 PM
That night was amazing. My friends and I went out to TRU in Columbia SC. There was a huge line there. We waited for a bit and then walked across the street to Wal Mart. Harbison Blvd. you couldnt get across one lane without getting flattened in the day time. It was trippy. Anyway. The wal mart was open so you could go in and wait until they dropped the rope at Midnight.

I got Mace Windu and Obi-Wan Kenobi and something else, I think a Battle Droid but Im not sure.

The 'Xir
05-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I can't remember if it was for TPM or AotC, but I put my figures on layaway and once I finished paying for them , I just took the boxes home, and they've never been opened, so I really don't know what I have! Now, that I think about it, I think that was for AotC, because I remember getting almost two of all the figures for TPM and I think I put those figs into plastic tubs, somewhere! :stupid: It'll be great though, almost like Christmas! In about 15-20 years when I say, "gee what's in this box?", and then open them to find stuff I didn't even know I had! :D Call me crazy! That's how I rol...swing! :crazed:

Psi-Clon Yung
06-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I remember seeing a news broadcast on MM. My first reaction was, "I can't believe people would fight over Star Wars toys." I thought to myself, "I'm not going crazy over Episode 1 toys."

A couple days later I bought my first 5 figs from EI: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Maul, Windu, and Ki-Adi Mundi. I thought that I could control myself, and stop there. I was wrong. I ended up with one of every basic EI figure acept Sio Bibble and the Pit Droid two pack.

I also picked up one of my favorite pieces I own: the Naboo Starfighter.

There was other stuff as well, but the best part of it all was the experience of it. I had never seen Walmart stock there shelves with so many beautiful toys all at once. It was overwhelming. I remember nearly a whole separate room devoted to Episode I stuff. Books, Toys, CD's, Calendars, everything.

spang2005
07-04-2005, 02:59 PM
In 1999, I was in 6th grade, so I didn;t go at midnight, but my dad did take me to Wal-Mart at 7:00 before school and bought me Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. I remember taking them into school that day to show off to some of my friends. I guess it took about two weeks, and a conveniently placed birthday to get the rest of the MM wave in 1999.