PDA

View Full Version : Soundtrack release date?

El Chuxter
03-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Call me crazy, but shouldn't we have heard something about a release date for the soundtrack CD by now? My best guess would be early May, but I can't find anything concrete about it. Not even starwars.com, starwars.sonyclassical.com, or amazon.com have anything whatsoever (aside from the spoiler-laden overview of the music from a couple of weeks ago).

I'm itching to hear me some really intense Imperial March here, y'all! :beard:

General_Grievous
03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I'd like to find out, too. At first I thought it would hit on April 2nd, but then I thought quickly, "Wait a minute. April 2nd is a Saturday. CDs usually come out on Tuesdays." So maybe late-April, early-May we'll get the soundtrack.

JEDIpartner
03-08-2005, 06:37 PM
I had read it was due the 10th of May.

Sith Lord 0498
03-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Since he hasn't posted it yet, I'll fill you in. Fellow forumite Darth Alex works for a major NE Pennsylvania music chain, and the release date for the ROTS soundtrack is May 3. Apparently, Sony Classical has sent out its solicitations for upcoming releases, and this is included on it.

mm74md
03-30-2005, 03:17 PM
I got a chance to hear the first track of the cd "Main Title/Aproaching The Battle" from alt.binaries.starwars Very dark...makes me even more eager to see the movie. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! I'd offer to email it, but it's 11 MB and I don't have any coverters to make it smaller here at work

Slicker
03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
I'll help you out a bit. I've had this track on my computer for some time but didn't know if it was real. Link. (http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0KLRXYKRYL1Z62UM8YOPMC69JJ)

mm74md
03-30-2005, 04:49 PM
I'll help you out a bit. I've had this track on my computer for some time but didn't know if it was real. Link. (http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0KLRXYKRYL1Z62UM8YOPMC69JJ)

I can't fileshare at work. Is it the entire soundtrack?

El Chuxter
03-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Wow! That sounds awesome, and it is very dark!!

You wanna know why it's very dark? Because Prince Xizor is planning Vader's overthrow, and stewing over Leia's escape from his palace on Coruscant. And Vader is chilling, trying to figure out the best way to bring Luke to the Dark Side so he can overthrow the Emperor.

Guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a fake. A very well-done merging of the standard opening theme and "Night Skies" from the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack. It sort of had me going until Xizor's theme (the distinctive "dun-DUN-da-DUN!" bit, if that helps) began playing. For a split second, I thought it was cool that Williams had incorporated Xizor's theme. Then I thought, "Wait, Xizor ain't gonna be in this movie!" and recalled that little gem of a CD by Joel McNeeley (yep, 1/2 of this isn't even composed by Maestro Williams).

If you like this, I recommend the Shadows of the Empire CD. It's cool stuff.

Slicker
03-30-2005, 07:14 PM
I never listened to the the SOTE soundtrack but that sucks about this song. Sorry if I got everyone's hopes up.:nerv:

El Chuxter
03-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Apology accepted, Captain Slicker. :p

If you said you had heard SOTE and listened to it regularly, then I'd have to bop you upside the head with a folding chair. But you didn't, so no harm, no foul.

mm74md
03-30-2005, 09:19 PM
What a friggin rip!!!!!

Jaludorm
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
The release date is 5-3-05 and Wal-Mart.com has a track listing (possible SPOILERS).

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3864179

BanthaPoodoo
04-12-2005, 03:06 PM
I have the entire soundtrack & am listening to it right now and it sounds amazing!!! I am up to track #2 so far (hey, just got it last night & only listen to it going to and from work...)

The opening sequence sounds fantastic, you can really tell that there is going to be a lot of fighting with the way the strings & winds play with so much passion on this first track.

The second track is a little more subdued but still quite entertaining...

mm74md
04-12-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure how I like the "Battle Of The Heroes/Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan". Sounds pretty epic. I'm still in love with "Duel of the Fates".

Jaludorm
04-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Now i am seeing discrepancies, walmart only lists 15 tracks, but amazon.de has 21. Those of you who have already procured it can you verify?

BanthaPoodoo
04-13-2005, 10:30 AM
The ones that have 21 tracks have some songs on there twice such as tracks #16 & #17.

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Highlight to read...

Track #16 is "The Birth Of The Twins & Padme's Death" & #17 is just "The Birth Of The Twins"

Thats how they are getting 21 tracks instead of 15. There are indeed only 15 though on the US release.

Pendo
04-13-2005, 11:16 AM
The ones that have 21 tracks have some songs on there twice such as tracks #16 & #17.

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Highlight to read...

Track #16 is "The Birth Of The Twins & Padme's Death" & #17 is just "The Birth Of The Twins"

Thats how they are getting 21 tracks instead of 15. There are indeed only 15 though on the US release.
Isn't there a 16th Bonus Track on one release in the US (can't remember where from). Is that bonus track listed as part of the 21 tracks? I can't compare track names because I'm avoiding reading them.

PENDO!

BanthaPoodoo
04-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure... the one I have doesnt have a bonus track but the one with 21 tracks has all the ones the 15 track cd has, plus duplicates of the same song, just not in medley format.

El Chuxter
04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Wal-Mart's saying they have an exclusive track, but I've seen nothing about the title.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Wal-Mart's saying they have an exclusive track, but I've seen nothing about the title.

For AOTC, WM's version had screensavers, but Target had the extra track (On the Conveyor Belt-the music from the tv spots). I thought it was worth it to get the bonus track since on starwars.com they announced that it is unlikely we'll ever get an ultimate collection set like the one for EP1. Small wonder since half of the music from EP2 is lifted verbatim from the EP1 soundtrack.

In looking at the track list on amazon.com, only 3 of the 21 tracks seem to be duplicates, or rather medleys, of two other tracks listed on the WM.com site. So are six single tracks that are also listed as medleys just a screw up on amazon?

One thing that really bugs me about the prequel single disc soundtracks is that the music generally doesn't follow how it is in the movies. None of them have the Fox Fanfare and after the main theme the following entry music is from a different part of the movie. For example, on EP1's disc the music is not from the ship landing on the trade federation cruiser but the Queen's starship landing at Coruscant. On EP2 it is OB1 landing at Kamino, not Padme at Coruscant. I bet this one will turn out the same way. The OCD part of me wants to got wash my hands fifty times and recount all the books on my shelf over and over.

El Chuxter
04-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I bought the AOTC CD at Wal-Mart because it was cheaper, then found out right after opening it that Target had an exclusive track. Everyone seemed to have something exclusive for AOTC, but no one wanted to advertise that. I'm glad to know about this one in advance, since I don't want to buy two copies again. :)

The TPM Ultimate Collection did really poorly sales-wise because the music was poorly edited. It's hard to listen to, as it's really choppy, and impossible to play on random mode. Had they released full versions of all the tracks (like with the OT:SE CD's), it could've done much better.

I've seen a lot of "More Music From. . ." CD's for movies with scores that are way inferior to any SW film. I hope that sometime after ROTS, maybe we can at least get "More Music From AOTC and ROTS" on one (or maybe two, if we're lucky) discs. I'd love to have the Dex's Diner music, or the version of Yoda's Theme that plays when he fights Dooku. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of cool unreleased stuff from ROTS. I heard very little of Palpatine's Theme and Vader's Theme, which is a bit odd.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-22-2005, 10:36 AM
The TPM Ultimate Collection did really poorly sales-wise because the music was poorly edited. It's hard to listen to, as it's really choppy, and impossible to play on random mode. Had they released full versions of all the tracks (like with the OT:SE CD's), it could've done much better.

I thought it was odd that the tracks were pretty truncated as well, yet I've never had a problem playing it in my car's CD player or on the computer. The flow always seemed to be OK. However, I have burned some tracks for a separate CD compilation and noticed that upon transfer there is a noticeable pause between those TPM:UC tracks. It would have been nice to have a CD with longer tracks instead of 40 of them at 45 seconds each.

Well, I have no idea about how the music sounds for EP3 and probably won't listen to it until I see the movie first. I was kind of bummed at the lack of quality/variety of the EP2 music. The opening music after the main theme was just blah and I didn't like the New Age electric guitar riffs in the Bounty Hunter Chase. The Kamino "mystery" music was comical in that it tried too hard to set the mood for the "who ordered the clones" scene. What I really hated was the whole love in the stars theme, or whatever it's called. It totally sounds like a rip off from JW's Hook score, and I hate that movie with a passion. Usually, the end credits scoring is great but EP2 just had the extended love theme after the ending fanfare...yuk.

I'm wondering if JW was just too busy with other projects and thought he could kind of cruise on by with this one. I looked on IMDB and he did music for Minority Report, HP 2, Catch Me if You Can, and something called Reflections of Evil. Currently it doesn't seem as if he has as many movie projects, just War of the Worlds and Memoirs of a Geisha and those are later this year. I'm hoping this translates into better and more original music for EP3 than EP2's soundtrack.