PDA

View Full Version : Kung Pao: Enter the Fist

Fulit
01-04-2002, 08:20 PM
What is up with this movie? I am wondering who is behind this utter waste of money. Judging by the previews alone, this is likely to be the most unfunny comedy ever. A kung-fu fighting cow and yet another Matrix parody with the slow motion movement. Hilarious. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
01-04-2002, 10:41 PM
it's been a while since we've had a "light" comedy (by that I mean: low budget, no stars, not following recent comedy trends - i.e., teen romp parodies, slasher parodies), but I too get the feeling this film won't have enough to keep it going a la Beverly Hills Ninja.

Emperor Howdy
01-04-2002, 11:54 PM
Oh, come on.....the cow is atleast a little funny!.......with the slow-mo milk........I chuckled a little. :rolleyes:

Well, it is following "Not Another Teen Movie", which seems a barrel of shaven, poop-wallowing monkies.

Mike Troxell
01-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Sue me, but I actually want to see this one. The whole thing looked incredibly funny to me (except for the CGI cows and baby--this should have been complete low-budget cheese without computer work. It would have been much better if it were like Peter Jackson's Bad Taste. Excellent cheesy comedy with no tact and no budget whatsoever.

TeeEye7
01-06-2002, 07:27 AM
I agree with the former Mr. Size 18 Kenobi:

This may be a sleeper that takes off. My 12-year-old son and all his buddies at school are ready to line up for this one now! They're ALL talking about it!

At least we know the age it's appealing to......:rolleyes:

JediTricks
01-06-2002, 10:20 PM
I have no problems seeing a stupid movie aimed at early teen boys, I would just like it to not totally stink. :D

Emperor Howdy
01-07-2002, 01:02 AM
"I have no problems seeing a stupid movie aimed at early teen boys......"...................Hmmmmm......JarJar keeps popping in my head.......

Obi-Don
01-08-2002, 07:09 PM
It looks pretty lame from what I seen. Then again I have see a lot fo movies that at first I thought was lame and turned out good.This one well.... maybe not.

Mike Troxell
01-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Well, it is Steve Odekirk (of Thumb Wars fame!), so you know it'll be at least partially funny :)

JediTricks
01-09-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Mike Troxell
Well, it is Steve Odekirk (of Thumb Wars fame!), so you know it'll be at least partially funny :) Hmm, I think bigfoot here has just turned me off of this movie. I found Thumb Wars to be soooooooooooooo lacking (I wasn't expecting much, but the way they laid the dialogue out and such, it rubbed me the wrong way).

Starfig873
01-09-2002, 11:39 AM
I wish to see this movie. I think it looks funny as hell frankly. :)

Lord Malakite
01-10-2002, 11:04 PM
This looks to me like a movie Chris Farley would star in if he was still around. It has that Beverly Hills Ninja look to it.

Mike Troxell
01-11-2002, 03:08 PM
I thought this movie looked cheesy. Now I know why. Steve O. bought the rights to some cheesy old movie, bluescreened himself and others in, and dubbed it in English. Then he added scenes (like the unfortunate cow scene) and CGI crap (like the aforementioned cow and fighting baby). I saw it on Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood or some such muckety-muck.

Meh, it looks like it has promise to me. Will it be great? The CGI stuff makes me think not.

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 01:54 PM
Well, it si supposed to be a spoof of the whole recent surge in Kung-Fu films. We had it coming with the spoofs of Scary Movies and Not Another Tenn Movie. Just another Genre to make fun of. I'll probably go see it, although it doesn't really appeal to me, I just want to see how they spoof this stuff.

Lord Tenebrous
01-27-2002, 03:01 PM
I have come to rescue you. A collection of critic's thoughts.

Kung Pow uses existing footage from an actual 1976 martial arts flick called Tiger & Crane Fists, and, employing the same kind of visual trickery found in Forrest Gump, inserts Oedekerk and other actors, plus the cow, into the action. This technology is, admittedly, impressive.

Visually, Oedekerk blends in seamlessly with the characters from Tiger & Crane Fists. Verbally, every character except one, the one-breasted woman, is dubbed by Oedekerk.

While Oederkerk's intentions seem to be spoofing films such as The Matrix, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and even The Lion King, the comedic value of his parody is lost in the volume of crude jokes, sexual humor, and mirthless cartoon violence. Lacking any artistic value, the fighting scenes are reduced to mere beatings with long sticks and a claw-like weapon that mangles its victims. Blood is smeared on the injured bodies of several warriors and squirts from a severed toe and wounded chest. Another disturbing sequence shows a man's hands doused in gas and lit on fire. (And this is supposed to be funny?)

One of the unfunniest of the recurring sight gags comes from the Chosen One's mouth. Inside it is something he calls "tonguey." His tongue has a face on the front of it and its own little tongue that it sticks out at those whom it wishes to ridicule. Like most of the film's comedy attempts, this one plays like a Saturday Night Live skit reject.

It could well end up being the worst movie of 2002. It's that bad.

“Kung Pow: Enter the Fist” is terrible. Nothing even remotely inspired or innovative exist in this film. I hated it with every fiber of my being.

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 03:26 PM
I never said it would be good, I just said I want to see for myself. After I see it I'll post my opinion.

Rollo Tomassi
01-27-2002, 04:56 PM
And here I was thinking it was a tad early to be starting my "5 worst films of 2002" list, seeing as how it's only January. but Kung Pow has already managed to attach itself to the list.

How bad is this film? I'll give you a scene. The Chosen One punches a guy in the abdomen, knocking out a perfect cylinder (it was in the trailer.) A briefly funny VISUAL gag. But then the narrator beats it to death with an additional two minutes of dialogue as follows: "That must've really hurt. Look over there. it's his stomach plug lying on the ground. it's his freaking stomach plug, for crying out loud. Is that even possible? Oh my goodness, look at his stomach plug. boy that must have hurt."
Meanwhile, the image on screen is just a static image of the Steve standing over the "dead" guy with the stomach plug lying on the ground, waiting for the narrator to finish his speil for those audiences members who are so dense they need the joke hammered into their thick skulls like cattle needs to be drilled with that pneumatic hammer before they slice him up at the meat packing plant. Out of 4 stars, I give King-Pow a bloody gopher carcass...because I don't want to waste the stars...

I swear, it makes Vanilla Sky look like Lawrence of Arabia...

JediTricks
01-28-2002, 12:49 AM
Ouch!

Obi-Don
01-28-2002, 06:21 AM
After seeing the advt. on TV.I thought I would just go out and throw my money into the streets. It would be the same as paying to watch this movie.:stupid:

SithDroid
01-29-2002, 02:16 AM
O.K. I went and saw Kung Pao today. It was not the greatest movie in the world, but it had it's funny moments. The cow fight scene was good as well as some of the jokes. The smiley face on his tongue was a stupid idea. If you can wait for it to come out on video, I'd recommend it. Definately not a must see movie for 2002.

Lord Malakite
01-29-2002, 11:02 AM
I just saw it, and boy did it suck. Its even worse that Jason X.

Currently my top 2 worse movies seen for 2002 are:

1. Kung Pao: Enter the Fist :cry:
2. Jason X :dead:

Hopefully no more additions will be needed so early in the year.