PDA

View Full Version : Movies that you used to like but now don't as much or at all?

vader121
03-09-2005, 10:35 AM
In all of this talk about under/over hyped movies how about a topic concerning movies that you used to like but now don't as much or at all?

Here are some of mine:

Time Bandits - saw this again a few months back and it's aweful. Used to like it as a kid but now it's just a bad British-made movie. Ending was alway bad but is even worse now.

Battlestar Galactica - still a decent film but I used to love this thing. Now it's pretty cheesy.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - this was funnier when it came out. Now it's just not funny. Spicoli is the only good thing about this movie.

James Boba Fettfield
03-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Ice Pirates - as a kid it seemed like a good movie

Kidhuman
03-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Nightmare on Elm STreet 2: As a youngling i thought it was better than the original. Now I think it just sucks....

sith_killer_99
03-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Return of the Jedi.

As a kid I thought it was the best Star Wars movie of all time. Now that I am older Empire has replaced it as my favorite Star Wars film. :D Jedi is now #2.

El Chuxter
03-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Three words: The Phantom Menace.

General_Grievous
03-09-2005, 12:23 PM
I second the ROTJ and TPM notions. In fact, when I first saw TPM back in '99, I thought it was better than the OT!:eek: Thankfully, I came to my senses. But I still like both movies.

Mine are:

Jurassic Park III
When I first saw this, I liked it a lot, but after a recent viewing, I hated it.

Independence Day
Ditto.

Godzilla (1998)
Ditto.

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns
Ditto and Ditto.

2-1B
03-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - this was funnier when it came out. Now it's just not funny. Spicoli is the only good thing about this movie.

Come on now, it's not the ONLY good thing . . . let us not forget Mrs. Kevin Kline's (Phoebe Cates) pool scene. ;)

KH, I won't even comment on your NOES2 remark, how you could prefer that at any age is beyond me. :D :D :D

Warryyr
03-09-2005, 01:43 PM
I think one of the keys to this topic is that we were younger at the time we liked the movies (and also that special effects keep getting better, which makes old movies outdated). Along the same lines as Time Bandits, I bought The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth for my son, and almost couldn't watch them. But, I also have a problem watching old sitcom series that I loved at the time. I can't watch a rerun of Happy Days, Cheers & others. I'm not saying they are bad, it's just that I can't seem to get interested in watching them again.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-09-2005, 02:55 PM
No snickering, but at one time I thought Police Academy 3 was the funniest movie ever made. Now I'll never get elected as President.

Hellboy
03-09-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure how many people will even remember this movie but as a kid I thought Condorman was pretty cool. Looking back I realize just how bad a movie it actually was but I still think those bad guys driving Porsches looked freakin cool.

As far as recent movies go I kind of enjoyed Alien vs Predator in the theater but after viewing it again on DVD I couldn't look past it's glaring flaws and inconsistencies with the 6 other Alien and Predator movies.

Slicker
03-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm gonna chime in with Attack of the Clones. I obviously loved it in theaters but when I try to watch it at home it's just pure torture.

Sith Lord 0498
03-09-2005, 07:04 PM
No snickering, but at one time I thought Police Academy 3 was the funniest movie ever made. Now I'll never get elected as President.

Snickering or no snickering from the others, I'll jump in that boat with you, Mandalorian Candidat. For me, it was a comedic tag team of Police Academy 3 and 4.

Other movies I have a different perception of now are The Gate, Phantom of the Opera (Robert Englund version), and Wes Craven's New Nightmare (only b/c nowadays I see just how b*tchy Heather Langenkamp's "character" is at times).

Turbowars
03-09-2005, 08:05 PM
I kind of dislike some older Horror films now. Like Hellraiser, they just don't do it for me.

vader121
03-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Horror movies are a given in my opinion. First time is usually pretty good but a 2nd viewing when you know what's coming makes them much less entertaining. There are only a few exceptions to this like Halloween 1 & 2.

I agree with most of the movies mentioned here like AOTC.

Here are a few more movies:

Predator 2 - Watching this now I see that Danny Glover was a mistake.

Commando - Really cheesy action flick.

mabudonicus
03-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Escape from New York man, I thought this was a work of genius the first time I saw it, but Kurt Russel just comes off as ridiculous now
Megaforce I thought this film was incredible when I first saw it... I watched it again recently and found it hilariously awful... I still think a sequel could be good
Cannonball Run Nuff said
Smokey and the Bandit ANY of em, but the last one was by far the most ludicrous... as a matter of fact, just about anything Burt Reynolds was in...
The Jerk rented this from the library a few years ago and couldn't even watch the whole thing- I remembered it as an hilarious comedy, but it was actually really depressing
Terminator Also not the thrill-ride I remembered it to be... it is still good for what it is, but it doesn't feel the same (and the reasons for this are pretty obvious, what with the films that folowed)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom LOVED IT in the theatre, didn't se it again til a few years later and I thought it stank on ice, by and large
Batman I saw it at the late show opening night... I sorta tried really hard to like it, but the second viewing left a bad taste in my mouth
Highlander some bits are great, still, but the film seemed to be a lot more cohesive when I was younger, last I saw it it seemed like a string of scenes kinda cobbled together (the soundtrack still rocks though)
There's gotta be more, but I'll yield the floor for a bit

Turambar
03-10-2005, 08:55 AM
I remember as a kid when the motion picture, Masters of the Universe, came out it was the coolest thing. 5 years later I rented it and couldn't believe it was the same movie. Complete trash!
As far as the prequels go, I tried to make myself believe I liked TPM, but never really did, so that one doesn't count. I think I did like AOTC, the first time, though. Now I see how bad it is.

Rocketboy
03-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Spider-man - Loved it in theaters, but since I got the DVD, I haven't been able to sit through even 1 veiwing. Booooooring.

General_Grievous
03-12-2005, 11:30 AM
I have two more to add to my list.

Monsters Inc and A Bug's Life

Pixar's weakest films, in my opinion. To me, they both lacked the charm and fun of the Toy Story movies, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles.

Kidhuman
03-12-2005, 11:34 AM
New Jack City. Watched it last night and it aint as good as I remembered.

scruffziller
03-12-2005, 05:06 PM
New Jack City. Watched it last night and it aint as good as I remembered.

Whoah just got that in the mail today from Netflix..............

2-1B
03-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Not one single movie but a whole pile of work by one specific actor, one Mr. Jean Claude Van Damme. I LOVED his movies as a kid.

Okay first of all I am going to excuse Bloodsport because that is an all time classic ! :)

I'll start with Kickboxer which I watched last night for the first time in many years, probably a decade. What a piece of trash. I remembered loving it but now I could barely sit through it. Tong Po isn't cool anymore and the end fight with the broken glass isn't as great as I remembered.

Hard Target, I haven't seen that one in awhile but I liked it at the time - somehow I think that mullet he had would turn me off now anyway. :D

Double . . . Double Something, the one where he has the twin brother played by himself, what one was that again ? Anyway I remember loving the naked blonde girl as a kid but that was hormones, methinks.

Nowhere to Run with Rosanna Arquette, but at least that one had Ted Levine who is always cool.

Anyway I used to like Kickboxer but it sucks now. I will, however, always appreciate Bloodsport ! Chong Li rocks and who can forget Donald Gibb as the American fighter ? lol

Kidhuman
03-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I will second that notion. You forgot Lionheart.

Slicker
03-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Man, I love Lionheart. I watch it every time it comes on TV. The fight with Atilla is classic.

Note to everyone: Always put your money on a French Legionairre.;)

2-1B
03-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Oh that's right, I DID forget Lionheart, the movie in which a denim shirted JCVD goes to jail and fights in a parking lot for a rich lady and her rich clients while Robert Guillaume, aka Benson, watches.*

I liked that movie, too. :D

*additional reporting by KH ;)

Hellboy
03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
and who can forget Donald Gibb as the American fighter ? lol

Funny you bring him up I was watching Stripes the other night and realized he played the bouncer in the mud wrestling bar. He'll always be :Ogre: as far as I'm concerned though. :D

2-1B
03-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Of course Hellboy, in the words of the immortal :Ogre:, "NERRRRRRRRDS ! ! ! "

lol

Kidhuman
03-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Ya got Poindexter on the Violin
Gilbert and Lewis Joining in......

mabudonicus
03-17-2005, 06:39 AM
I recalled a couple more yesterday..

The TOY... can't say much more than I thought this was an excellent film when I first saw it, but there's so many inappropriate situations etc that it comes across as sorta twisted, nowadays, and that goes for the ultra-weird "Stir Crazy", too, what a mess

Mister Mom- I think I watched that a dozen times as a kid, but the last time I tried it was just plain awful

They call me Bruce- another really bad film, which I thought was real funny back in the day