PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Clothing

Jek Porky 2002
03-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Is it just me that hates fabric clothing on figures, I think it looks terrible! And now it's on most of the ROTS figures. I understand why they do it this way, so that the figure can be sat down, but it sacrifices quality, for one thing it doesn't fit to the figure and looks big and obscure, the best example I can think of is Ki-Adi Mundi.

I really do think they should stick with plastic clothing and cloaks!!

What are other people's thoughts on this?

Slicker
03-10-2005, 07:06 AM
I like the fabric for certain portions of the clothing and on only certain figures. The fabric that I hate is when they use it on the upper half of figures for vests, Jedi robes, and shirts such as the Luke Tatooine figure.

It seems to me that they did a better job of using fabric on the vintage figures.

Devo
03-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Ah one of those great debates. I agree with you. I think fabric is rarely pulled off with success in figures of larger size let alone 4inch ones.

Full robes are best sculpted in plastic. Look at VOTC Obi-wan to see why. In his case, given that the point of the VOTC line was superarticulation, the cloth robe was needed to hide some horrible looking arm articulation while allowing it to work. But the robe looks oversized and puffy. It cannot drape realistically.

Likewise most capes. Both POTJ Lando and VOTC Lando use fabric and for me it doesn't work unless you fix the cloth to the figure in places so that it looks realistic. Left to its own devices Landos cape just looks stupid.

VOTC luke, what in gods name were they thinking? Its just ridiculous and now we need to wait longer still for a proper tatooine Luke who is correctly in scale with Han, Leia, Chewie, Obi-wan, 3P0 etc.

VOTC Yoda, whatever about a 4 inch figure you cannot pull off cloth on a 1.5 inch one. Who needed a superarticulated ESB yoda anyway? Its not like a struck any ninja poses in that film.

However there have been good cases where cloth was used. The capes on Commtech Vader and OTC (ANH) Vader look great, the latter needing just a bit of aid on the shoulder to keep it realistic. And also I rather like the cloth of the lower parts of Qui-gon's and Obi-wan's tunics in the Episode I line and the little bit of cloth they used in the Saga Anakin with the kicking action.

Used intelligently and to a minimum Cloth can be good. Otherwise it ruins figures.

Jek Porky 2002
03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
My favorite example of bad fabric clothing is Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Starfighter Pilot) from the Saga line! It's just massive!!

Slicker
03-10-2005, 08:32 AM
That one and the Mos Espa Qui Gon with the cloth tunic. That thing doesn't even let you see his hands.

Several good examples of cloth used to good effect are all of the Princess Leia Collection 2 packs. All use cloth or fabric and none of them look particularly bad.

Old Fossil
03-10-2005, 09:40 AM
I agree that cloth isn't always the perfect medium for this kind of thing, but then again, neither is plastic. Remember POTJ chocObi-Wan?

VOTC Luke and Pilot Obi-Wan are admittedly a bit dreadful, but I can think of few other instances where cloth would have been better served as plastic. I liked the cloth capes on both the POTJ and VOTC Landos. I also dig the cloth robe on VOTC Ben, though I know I'm in the minority on that one.

From the one picture I've seen of Ki-Adi Mundi, I think they should have stuck with plastic for his tunic. Most everything else cloth, including the Red and Blue Guards, look great, especially Luminara Unduli and Shaak Ti. The latter two need cloth to look accurate, and still have enough articulation that they are ACTION figures, not little statues like the AOTC versions.

Droid
03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
I hate fabric on any figure that isn't supposed to be able to sit down. For those characters it is a necessary evil. I collect action figures, not dolls.

Dark Marble
03-10-2005, 10:02 AM
I don't mind cloth, it just hasn't be done right yet. The cloth needs to be tight and form fitting on the figure, not bulky and loose. I would completely support more cloth on my figs if they could work out that equation. However, I think plastic is usually the ticket. Still waiting for a good AOTC Ani and Obi with plastic robes........

Kidhuman
03-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I like the cloth capes. It makes it easier for a figure to move around and to take it off it need be. It adds life to the figure instead of it looking like its mummified in vinyl.

ronhudy
03-10-2005, 12:28 PM
I hate fabric on any figure that isn't supposed to be able to sit down. For those characters it is a necessary evil. I collect action figures, not dolls.

Exactly...that AOTC Obi-Wan Pilot looked like he was a lot warmer than the Cold Weather Obi-Wan!!!