PDA

View Full Version : Episode III: Cut Scenes - Han Solo

Beast
03-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Let this be the end of the crazy 'CloneTrooper' Han Solo. Here is Han's planned part in Episode III, that was cut from the film. I actually wouldn't have minded it really. Especially considering the fact he doesn't share screentime with anyone from ANH, ESB, or ROTJ. :)

From MillenniumFalcon.Com:

Young Solo was requested by George Lucas for shooting in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. McCaig's costume design was approved by Lucas on the spot. Unlike the Han Solo we know in the Original Trilogy, the Episode III Solo was conceived as a 'slob' by McCaig.

So what was Han Solo's role?

In a conference room on Kashyyyk, Han Solo helped Yoda track down Greivous. We were told in the script that Han was being raised by Chewbacca.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

tagmac
03-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Personally, I'm glad they cut that one. It goes completely against the EU (and what I think many thought was canon) that Chewbacca was a slave rescued by former Imperial Academy member Han Solo, thus Chewbacca now owing Han a life debt. And since the whole idea of a life debt was used in TPM, I thought for sure Lucas was basing the idea on Chewie's history.

Jargo
03-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I think i prefer the original idea of having Han be a cabin boy aboard the Tantive IV serving Captain Antilles. Being around Military people would explain his sharp shooter abilities and knowledge of the Empire's ways. far better than being raised by a Wookiee.

And Han Solo as a slob. hmmm presumably playing some sort of holo shoot em up game and munchin on nerfburgers and suppin on jawa juice. Some sort of holonet geek. all spotty and long haired. hiding away in some dark corner of the tree house. Whose dialogue consisted of 'cool' and 'sucks' and 'dude'.

or maybe he'd be out riding one of the much loved 'hotrod' speeders. much customised to make the jump to lightspeed in less than 3 parsecs....... :crazed:

Kidhuman
03-10-2005, 05:14 PM
I am glad they cut that out as well. Han a slob? Never.....

Beast
03-10-2005, 05:27 PM
It seems there's some conformation that this is indeed a fact. On the pages from the 'Making of Book' that they posted on Hyperspace, Han is mentioned.

February 13: JAK-OZ videoconference - Atendees learn that the Kashyyyk meeting hall is "tricky." It will have Han Solo and Wookiees, and it will be almost completely digital.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2005, 05:30 PM
It's a small world after all :)

stillakid
03-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Thank the maker. It was just one more gratuitous and completely unnecessary cameo from the OT designed to make pimply faced fanboys in need of a real life scream out with delight.

Tycho
03-11-2005, 02:16 AM
You all know what I think should happen:

The Republic is running low on Clones or Kamino has been destroyed, so they sign on a new source: enter camino, non-speaking walk-on by Harrison Ford.

Since 5 year old clones, growth accelerated, seem to be about 10 yrs old (source: AOTC), and they are already being trained, the Republic orders them used in non-combat roles.

On Kashyyyk, one 5 yr old clone, TK421, or whatever (who looks 10 yrs old), gets separated from his unit and loses his headset "programmer" when the Separatists attack.

This Clone, does not meet Chewbacca, but does interact with Wookiees who save him, and send him off back to human worlds (specifically Corellia)

End of Episode 3.

Star of Expanded Universe:

This clone adopts the name Han, and works on Garris Shrike's ship (source, The Paradise Snare).

Not wanting to be a pirate, and bred for military service, it is natural he tries running away and entering the Imperial Academy and becomes an officer and a fighter pilot. (The Empire would welcome him back, as they know what he is and what he should be programmed for).

On a mission on the Outer Rim, Han captures Chewbacca (who is rescuing Wookiee children held hostage by Trandoshan slavers) and Chewie is thrown into 1 year of slavery himself (a life sentence actually, however...)

1 year later, while an officer on Coruscant (Han is 23 years old now - 6 years before A New Hope) he encounters Chewie being abused by Imp. Cmdr. Nyklas, and Han tackles Nyklas and sets Chewbacca free.

Han is courtmartialed and while trying to commit suicide by encouraging a large Barabel to kill him, he is saved by his new guardian, Chewbacca (source: The Hutt Gambit).

The rest you already know even if you don't read the books...

Slicker
03-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Now you're really starting to sound like EU writers Tycho, modifying a story to fit into the movies somehow. Just admit that your prediction was wrong and it'll be alot easier on us all. After all it was only a hope on your part so it should be easy to just drop the matter.

stillakid
03-11-2005, 08:21 AM
You all know what I think should happen:...

If wishes were fishes...you know the rest... ;)

Elliejabbapop
03-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Sorry, wrong thread I was too excited with the trailer :nerv: :nerv: :nerv:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-11-2005, 01:02 PM
So Han will or won't be in the movie? I think it could be cool to see him as described above, but if not that's okay too. It seems like you said that he wouldn't be, then he was. What is it? :crazed:

2-1B
03-11-2005, 01:08 PM
What a wretched idea. Thankfully this has been cut.

Tycho
03-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Right now it looks like he will NOT be in the film.

With digital ability, anything is possible and Pablo Hildago, or any of the other talking heads from LF could have no knowledge of what they are talking about, or deliberately lie, or if Han is an un-named Clone kid, say it's not confirmed he's Han, or he isn't because he hasn't taken that name yet, or anything from "certain points of view."

The OT started out with 4-7 main character heroes:

Luke
Leia
Han
Chewie
R2
C-3PO
Obi-Wan Kenobi

The prequels fill in the backstory on where everyone came from and who their parents were and how their life-circumstances got them involved. That's what prequels do.

The OT only adds a few more characters than the 7 above, that are of importance:

Vader
Stormtroopers (clones)
Palpatine
Lando
Boba Fett
Jabba
Mon Mothma (to a very small extent)

If the PT is to show all their origins, this has been almost entirely accomplished:

Luke - Padme & Anakin's son
Leia - Padme & Anakin's son, raised by Bail Organa
Han - ??? Lucas limited and allowed AC Crispin's incomplete backstory
Chewie - Kashyyyk in ROTS, and EU from comics to Crispin
R2 - Naboo Royal Starship Mechanic, commended for service to Padme
C-3PO - repaired from junk found by Anakin Skywalker
Obi-Wan Kenobi - trained by Qui-Gon Jinn, tutored by Yoda
Vader - was, is Anakin Skywalker - corrupted by Palpatine
Stormtroopers (clones) - made of clones of Jango Fett (originally) on Kamino
Palpatine - Sith apprentice of Darth Plaegis, Naboo Senator elected Chancellor
Lando - ??? - another lost clone? a run-away Naboo or Corellian?
Boba Fett - cloned "son" of Jango Fett, orphaned on Geonosis
Jabba - established early as crime lord ruler of Tatooine, made $$ on podracing
Mon Mothma (to a very small extent) - Chandrillan Senator, challenges Palpatine in ROTS

So really:

Han
Lando

both lack more backstory.

If you do not like these characters, you wouldn't care.

If you want SW to be so realistic, they are random "nobodies," you won't want a backstory

If you think this is a space-opera, modern-mythology, you'll see they need backstories.

Since Clones protected/served the Jedi (originally), it would be Han's path to be Luke's protector, and makes sense like bookends.

2-1B
03-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Tycho, Han and Lando are 2 of my favorite characters and I DON'T want to see their backstories, probably for the same reasons you DO want to see them. :p

Pablo Hidalgo ? I thought it was Pablo Helmen ?

Hidalgo was the movie horse, no ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kidhuman
03-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Leia - Padme & Anakin's son, raised by Bail Organa

Wow, the SW universe took a turn for the worst right there. Might have to move this one to the Pit. :beard:

stillakid
03-11-2005, 11:46 PM
The prequels fill in the backstory on where everyone came from and who their parents were and how their life-circumstances got them involved. That's what prequels do..

No, not necessarily. A prequel story can be about the events and situations that lead up to the events and characters in the later stories. Take the sprawling DUNE saga for instance. What began with a rather detailed storyline about Paul Atreides in the first 3 books segued into further "post-quel" books which continued with the lives of his children as well as what was going on with the rest of the DUNE galaxy. In the past few years, Frank Herbert's son picked up the ball and, using Frank's notes, has co-written quite a number of "prequels" which haven't had need to go laboriously into the backstories of just about any of the original DUNE characters. Sure, they all have mommies and daddies, but a prequel isn't bound to excruiatingly deconstruct the exact circumstances that got the original heroes in front of us. Lucas has chosen to take that route with some pretty disappointing results. Had he taken the high road and written some stories which concentrated primarily on the events which get us up to ANH we would all be singing his praises. But instead, he took the "quick and easy path" and chose to use gratuitous cameos and cheap thrills to please the fanboys who apparently were eager to see the Swiss Family Fett in action as well as the nitty gritty details that got Anakin into the Iron Mask.

Han arrived into the Star Wars saga when he was needed and not a second sooner. The same was true for Boba Fett, Yoda, Luke, Leia and theoretically, Darth Vader. We didn't NEED to see their origin stories in order to enjoy watching the Republic fall. It was COMPLETELY unnecessary therefore any use of those characters is just pandering to the masses.

Tycho
03-12-2005, 02:44 AM
I hope they pander to me some more :classic:

The 'Xir
03-12-2005, 08:59 AM
I think :beard: wanted to capture this scene possibly knowing it would be cut, and end up on the dvd, just to appease Han fanboys everywhere! Lucas would say that his backstory isn't relevant in anyway to Anakin's story and so in an effort to conserve time under his strict 2 & 1/2hr movie guideline, this scene just wasn't needed! Can't wait for the DVD!!! ;) :D