PDA

View Full Version : Eeth Koth and Zutton

sith_killer_99
01-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Well, I just managed to snag these guys. I noticed some very nice points as well as some bad. So, here's the low-down.:Pirate:

Eeth Koth Jedi Master: FINALLY, a new Jedi Council Member, as well as a cool looking alien.

Good points: Arm articulation. Hasbro did some neat stuff with this guys arms. He has standard shoulder articulation as well as right (only :mad: ) wrist articulation. What is neat is the elbow articulation, specifically his right elbow. His arm and robe is sculpted in such a way, as to make for some very good guarding as well as striking/attacking poses. The left arm has the familiar robed sleeve elbow articulation.

NEW: Hasbro finally hit the jackpot on this guy's lightsaber! We finally have a single lightsaber with removable blade that can ALSO hang from his belt. Talk about versatility. Hasbro should make ALL lightsabers with removable blades. This should have been the standard since soft goods Maul. :D Bravo to Hasbro for this little accessory.

Bad points: Neck articulation is limited by his molded hair, which dosen't hurt the figure too bad given the quality sculpt of
One point negates the other IMO.

Molded plastic robes.:( The problem...as ever...is that molded plastic robes leave us without leg articulation. In this case he is in an active fighting stance. However, it is a step up from our last 2 Jedi Masters (Plo Koon and Saesee Tiin) because at least his robe is open to show more detail.

Overall: Love that lightsaber and the right arm articulation. Nice, quality, detailed sculpt that we have come to expect from the POTJ line. Downside, limited articulation everywhere else.

Overall grade: B-

Zutton Snaggletooth: Finally a detailed sculpt of this much loved figure from the vintage line.

The good points: Hands down the best sculpt of Zutton ever. Plus we get him with knee articulation! Cool holster with removable gun, similar to the Scout Trooper, this seems to work better with Zutton, due to the shape of the gun.

What's up with that?: He also come with an empty clear glass, that he can't hold!?!? Why? Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for any extra accessories I can get. I am also glad we didn't get a "molded to his hand" glass. But as I said before.........Why?:):confused::)

Bad points: Again we have some missed opportunities for articulation, he should have had wrist articulation like the Imp. Officer, and possibly an elbow articulation like 300th Fett. However, these do not really take anything away from this great figure IMO.

Overall grade: A

Well there there you have it.:crazed:

bigbarada
01-10-2002, 10:33 PM
My brother has a Zutton figure that holds it's glass just fine.

The figure looks really nice but it seems that Hasbro skimped a little when it came to the face details. His nostrils should have at least been blacked in. Oh well, easy enough to fix.

Jargo
01-11-2002, 06:24 PM
Zutton:
this is what an action figure should be, neutrally posed with simple articulation and no wide leg stance. Knee articulation so it can sit. The arms are not too widely posed either which some of the figures suffer from.
The body sculpt is fine and the creases are just fine in his little jumpsuit.
Mine holds his gun and is glass just fine and looks great standing with both grasped firmly like a drunk gunslinger.
The head, oh boy the head! far too big IMO. Even if he had a big head in the holiday special this is way too big. It makes a mockery of the POTF2 takeel. I thought the idea was that these figures would all merge and blend into one cohesive whole collection. I thought this when the commtech greedo eplaced the POTF2 initial release and made a mockery of Doda bodonawieedo and Greeta as well as greedo 1.
There's no detail in the over red paint job. The prototype pics showed him with more accurate detailing and this has been skimped on. The teeth on mine are so badly painted I thought there was no paint at all and the hair looks to be the wrong color altogether.
Again we see another cantina patron saddled with a non movie weapon. Why has he got a bazooka? Weren't the gun and glass enough to sell this figure as authentic?
I love the figure from the neck down and all the details therein but the head stinks like a dead fish.
So I'm giving Zutton a big fat C

Eeth Koth:
WOW! what can I say about the sculpt on this figure? Just phenomenal! I love it as a tiny statue that has no bearing on his screen appearance. What on earth possessded Hasbro to make this figure in such an aggresive stance? An amazing piece of artwork but really hopeless as an action figure.
Nice details are wasted here like the disconnecting saber blade and the hilt that can be attached to the belt in a place that's obscured by the hard plastic robe.
The legs are sculpted nicely enough with interesting boots......
If this is the figure we're supposed to use for episode two then fine, the figures for episode two will be high on detail and low on play. have the designers from McFarlane gone to work for Hasbro by any chance? STATUES FOR ALL FROM NOW ON EVERYONE!!!!:mad:

I give Eeth Koth a big fat D

Lord Tenebrous
01-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Again we see another cantina patron saddled with a non movie weapon

And not even that. He's from the Anchorhead Cantina, straight from the horrible holiday special. And they didn't even keep that in the figure description! Instead of an appropriate summary:

A tortured artist nicknamed "Snaggletooth" who strives to live out the stories he creates, recently met Ackmena and cried.

We get crud.

Zutton is a Snivvian artist who turned bounty hunter by chasing down Thalassian slavers. He was given the nickname "Snaggletooth" at the Mos Eisley cantina, because of his pronounced fangs. His exceptional bounty hunter skills have caught the attention of crimelord Jabba the Hutt, who has put his services on retainer.

The Eeth Koth/Zutton wave is probably the easiest wave for me to pass on. I give the both C-, as in "Clearance, maybe"

jawa9
01-13-2002, 11:50 PM
On Zutton,
Nice detail on the red suit. Why didn't they paint his face? He looks unfinished. Is this the price we pay for more accessories? The bald spot on top of his head is a nice touch, as well as the holster on his ankle. They could have painted the inside of his nostrils black and detailed the teeth better. At least the largest tooth is on the same side of his mouth as the vintage figure (The picture on the new card has it on the other side).

On Eeth Koth,
What can I say? This is a pretty good sculpt. The only complaint I have is on the new lightsaber design. I couldn't find one packaged that was straight. In fact I saw a few that were totally angled. And I don't like the extra plastic around the base of the blade. I do like the face paint. Very good detail.

Lman316
01-25-2002, 12:29 PM
I just got my Eeth and Zutton today.
I have no problems with Zutton - he's a cool looking figure and I think he'll go great in my cardboard cantina.
Eeth, however, I have MANY problems with him. I had heard about the no-leg articulation for a while, so it didn't surprise me when I got him, but I STILL don't like it. Next, that new blade looks like crap, although (surprising that there's something I like) I do like that it is removable and the hilt can be attached to his belt. But what really bothers me is that my Eeth Koth is special. "Special how?" you ask? Well, this Jedi looks like he's lost his arm in a lightsaber battle. Yep...I opened the package, touch the arm and the ******* thing falls out of its socket :frus::mad: . And it will NOT go back in. When I try, it just bends the peg on the arm......so I stopped for fear of breaking it completely.
Jeez....Hasbro's really going down the toilet....... :(

JediTricks
02-21-2002, 05:18 AM
As I reported here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3985), the Zutton I picked up was a later variation molded in a darker, slightly different tone of plastic for the head, and had a paint wash that the EARLIER variations I saw did not. So you folks who are disgruntled about the way your early Zuttons look, you may want to check Wal-Mart for newer ones (though the nose is still not blacked-in).

I think the reviews on this one are fairly accurate, though the arm is bent at such an extreme angle that it kinda bothers me. The character doesn't do much for me, and the figure is pretty much the same, but it's not a bad effort.

jedibear
02-24-2002, 02:45 AM
I like the Zutton figure...mine holds the glass & gun just fine. Yeah, the detailing could be better, but he's alright.

Now Eeth Koth....

Here's a first for me. I open the figure and "thunk"...he falls apart at the waist! Won't stay together. Damn! Also the paint used for the upper tunic is lighter than the molded lower part and DOESN'T match up at all.
But wait...there's more! His pinkie finger on the left splayed hand is BROKEN OFF! Arrgghh!
I've read here now & then about people having crappy quality figures from this line but had NEVER experienced it myself till now. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'll definately be carefully examining the figures on the cards more than ever before after this (but THAT'S not always possible if you have to resort to mail order to find 'em). Grrrrr.....

I don't mind the action pose, the new saber blade or the figure in general (in fact from the early photos, I was REALLY looking forward to this guy) but ouch!

pthfnder89
02-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Well Jedibear, the waist has a new kind of peg on it, so it does pop out easier then most. But that sucks that it just came out like that.

I was pretty happy to find out that it comes out easily, just beacuse the first thing I did when I opened him was replace the waist piece with legs from a QuiGon figure, so they could move, and were a little more neutral.

Thing only other thing I didn't really like about this figure was that even though the new lightsaber is GREAT, on this particualr Jedi, you can't really use the belt hole to store it on. His robes are sculpted outward, so the saber handle usualy just pops right back out if you move him.

Other than that though, I really like this figure, especially the face. Great detail there. I'm looking forward to getting Zutton too.

mark2d2
03-13-2002, 05:40 PM
I just got ZUTTON today at Walmart. I think he is sweet!!! I love the nuetral stance -- and the bendable knees means he can take a spin in my TIE BOMBER by the end of the month. (Mine holds the glass just fine.) Love the groovy outfit. Very 70s. Very Cantina.

This definitely must be one of the newer ones, JediTricks, as I think his head is pretty dang detailed IMOP.

And he comes with a GLASS!!!! Brilliant! I only wish that Boshek did as well. Seriously, we need more glasses! What? Has the Cantina gone dry? I wish they'd give us a Cantina accessory pack. It could come with guns, glasses, and that 70s bench/couch thing. Either that or just include a pair with each of the forthcoming Cantina Two Pack. (I sure hope that rumour is true as Zutton sure wets my appetite for more Cantina Creatures . . . )

I give this little guy an very solid A.