PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's missing from the toys: Jar Jar (merged)

JediTricks
03-11-2005, 06:40 PM
A friend of mine and I have been talking about the catalog that comes with the Droid Tri-Fighter, it has a checklist of all 56 basic figures in the ROTS line and we've studied it briefly a few times. However, just today he noticed something which I had not... there is no Jar Jar figure in this line! Was this a conscious choice on Hasbro's part after the poor sales of the Saga ep 2 Jar Jar figure? To be fair, I'm spoiler-free so I don't even know if Jar Jar is in the film but I suspect he is so I'm surprised that he's not here.

DarkArtist
03-11-2005, 06:46 PM
I can't see why Jar Jar wouldn't be the ROTS. I mean since his presence in AOTC was limited he was still alive in the end. Maybe Lucas finally listened to the complaints of his fans and cut him from the film.
Also another sure sign that he may not be in the film is the fact that the trailer had no footage of him at all, very strange. :)

El Chuxter
03-11-2005, 06:56 PM
If Jar Jar doesn't die a hero in ROTS, then all of TPM was a ripoff.

Bobby Fett
03-11-2005, 07:00 PM
I certainly hope Jar Jar is in ROTS. I am looking forward to seeing him get sliced and diced! :D

General_Grievous
03-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Jar Jar is in it, it's no spoiler...Ahmed Best's been on the Ep3 cast list since the beginning.

But it's not like we need another Jar Jar anyway.

Beast
03-11-2005, 07:15 PM
The majority of the focus on ROTS seems to be in the action scenes. Hence why we're only getting the one 'action outfit' version of Padme. I bet that more Padme's and Senator Jar Jar will likely come next year instead. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Slicker
03-11-2005, 09:09 PM
If Jar Jar isn't in the movie then something is really wrong. To just not have him in there is gonna raise alot of questions about the movie.

My prediction is that he gets killed saving the twins from someone trying to kill them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-11-2005, 09:57 PM
SPOILER!!!

He's in there, but he doesn't get killed. On the official site's making-of book excerpt, it says that Jar Jar has become battle-hardened. I totally forgot that he was a general in the battle of Naboo, I suppose he would still be one even if he was a senator. Maybe we'll get to see him in a less comical battle?

I still think we need another AOTC figure of him in his other costume.

Rocketboy
03-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Hadn't noticed a lack of Jar Jar on the lists. Ineresting.

Another one I noticed:
I'm pretty spoiler free, but it would seem odd, especially after AOTC, if there were no Boba Fett in ROTS.

2-1B
03-12-2005, 05:05 AM
They better make a new Jar Jar or I'll be very upset ! :)

I wasn't a big fan of the AOTC version due to that goofy pose he was in, so hopefully they will offer a better one this time 'round.

mabudonicus
03-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah, that "Salsa dancing" Jar Jar was just plain stupid, couldn't bring myself to buy him (if my damn local TRU would have marked him down even a tiny bit I might have bit, but Noooo)

And that's funny that it took this long for the issue to be raised, I mentioned this in the "ROTS SPOILERS" section about an hour before I noticed this thread.....

Whaddya mean "IF"?????? :D
(between that and your "they already MADE a Jar Jar cartoon", that's 2 hilarious Binks-themed quips in the last few days, and yes I AM keeping score)
:beard:

tagmac
03-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Hadn't noticed a lack of Jar Jar on the lists. Ineresting.

Another one I noticed:
I'm pretty spoiler free, but it would seem odd, especially after AOTC, if there were no Boba Fett in ROTS.

Considering we never got Aurra Sing in AOTC, I doubt Fett will be in ROTS. It would make perfect sense to have them, even in brief scenes that would make sense. Maybe leading a group of clones somewhere, heck, even in the background fighting a Jedi somewhere. As for Jar Jar, my guess is we'll see him only as a background character in the Senate. His significance to the story already happened in AOTC, something htat doesn't gets discussed much here.

TPM: Jar Jar introduced as a completely bumbling fool, who later becomes a hero for his actions. Granted, there was WAY too much of him in TPM, but his high morals w/ lack of smarts is clearly explained here.

AOTC: Jar Jar is promoted to a Senator, then plays the most important role in the entire saga. Thinking he is doing a good thing, Jar Jar basically APPOINTS PALPATINE TO EMERGENCY POWER STATUS! Take away Jar Jar proposing that idea to the Senate, and Palpatine has to look elsewhere for a way to be granted full power. Jar Jar's main role in the saga was to unwittingly bring on the beginning of the Empire, after being unwittingly influenced by Mas Amedda & Palpy that he would be acting in Padme's best interests.

Slicker
03-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Considering we never got Aurra Sing in AOTC, I doubt Fett will be in ROTS. Why should we have gotten Aurra in AOTC? She was on screen for 2 seconds in TPM and nobody knew who she was so she had no reason to even make an appearance in AOTC. Fett on the other hand actually SPEAKS in the movies and plays a pivotal part (remember he did capture Han). I'm the last person to defend Fett being in the movie but this Aurra Sing/Aayla Secura/Barris Offee obsession by SW fans is ridiculous. I'm not bashing you in any way tagmac, everyone likes characters for certain reasons, but these characters aren't even really featured prominently in the movies (with the exception of Aayla who appears to ACTUALLY be in ROTS) and only exist in background stories that any third grader can think up.

It almost feels good to vent every once in awhile in these forums.:crazed:

mabudonicus
03-13-2005, 06:38 AM
this Aurra Sing/Aayla Secura/Barris Offee obsession by SW fans is ridiculous.
You forgot Dengar,21B and Admiral Ackbar, there, chief :)

And yeah, it's alright to vent... I tried to start a one-man war on the EU (called it the FU and everything) back before you were a member (which is mostly where the 'deuce/Dengar thing came from) but eventually I gave up, cos I know it was wrong to think that folks shouldn't like what they like and all, but I'm still right there with ya as far as thinking that certain "characters" are a whole lot more beloved than they should be IMO...
(again, the 21B/Dengar thing is a direct parody, in many ways, of that phenomenon, in case you didn't "get" that)
:beard:
But the Binks damn well better be in this film, as Chux pointed out.... it's now to a point where it would almost be more annoying if he were absent somehow, and thinking of that character irritating more by his absense is mindboggling

Oh, and he doesn't have to die, either- I think JarJar is perhaps one of the stronger links to the OT, since I'm pretty sure Jar Jar dies in ANH, onscreen to boot ;)

JediTricks
03-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Some might say it was one even if that does transpire. ;)

(c'mon, you HAD to see that one coming :D)

Grievous, it could be that Best is recurring as his "Ack-med Beq" character again. :p

The majority of the focus on ROTS seems to be in the action scenes.Then why doesn't Hasbro just re-release the amazingly-unselling Saga Ep 2 Jar Jar since he's action-oriented already? ;)

Gee John, thanks for the friggin' SPOILER warning there. :mad: I've added it.

They better make a new Jar Jar or I'll be very upset ! :)I can tell, that smilie says it all. ;)

AOTC: Jar Jar is promoted to a Senator, then plays the most important role in the entire saga. Thinking he is doing a good thing, Jar Jar basically APPOINTS PALPATINE TO EMERGENCY POWER STATUS! Take away Jar Jar proposing that idea to the Senate, and Palpatine has to look elsewhere for a way to be granted full power.Wow, it's a good thing Lucas put Jar Jar in the saga or else Uncle George might have had to use ANYBODY ELSE for that part. :p

I'm the last person to defend Fett being in the movie but this Aurra Sing/Aayla Secura/Barris Offee obsession by SW fans is ridiculous.Slicker, did you hear that? That was the sound of me agreeing with you completely on that one. I totally don't get the obsession there, Fett may have been prefab but at least they put it to great use in ESB, what do these nobodies do in the films besides pull a "Jabba's Palace alien" and act as set decor?

Mabs, are you referring to that "whassa dat in da skyen?... *kaboom*" line that we hear just as the Death Star fires on Alderaan? ;)

General_Grievous
03-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Speaking of the whole "characters who've been blown out of proportion by fans" topic, why do all of you 2-1B fans call him "The Deuce"???

mabudonicus
03-14-2005, 06:45 AM
Mabs, are you referring to that "whassa dat in da skyen?... *kaboom*" line that we hear just as the Death Star fires on Alderaan?
Yep.... it's not in there yet, but you know how these things go :D

Speaking of the whole "characters who've been blown out of proportion by fans" topic, why do all of you 2-1B fans call him "The Deuce"???
Two things, we haven't even begun on the out-of-proportion-blowing yet :beard:

And second, as an actual answer, Caesar came up with "The 'Deuce".... it's cos "2" is his first name, I guess, same with Twobers, Tube, Da Bee (for the "B" this time) etc.
We're just giving him nicknames cos we love him SOOOO much he deserves them.
Congratulations, I think you're the first person that called us on it :beard:

2-1B
03-14-2005, 01:32 PM
For the record I really DO like 2-1B and I do not mock him. He's like MY ESB Fett, while other fans got hooked on the look and the coolness of the character, I got hooked on the look and the coolness of Twoby Twoby Too and I remember liking the action figure as a kid. I thought the removable tube (hehehehehe) and clear belly were neat.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, no doubt, I go overboard in my appreciation for the Spelling Bee Champ to the point of being ridiculous but at the core when I see him in ESB (and to an extent his cameo in ROTJ) I really do like it.

By comparison, I think Dengar is lame. So with that cat I am definitely going the parody route. Ackbar and Nien Nunb rock, though, they really do.

Hey JT, I really DO want an ROTS Jar Jar figure, I'm just not going to get worked up in a lather if ihe isn't available in wave 1. :)
And what was that you told Chux about "you had to see that coming" ? :confused:
Last time I thought I saw something coming from you, I got taken to task over it. ;) ;) ;)

:D

JediTricks
03-15-2005, 01:48 AM
Oh, you can so bite me for that one Caes! ;)

Kidhuman
03-15-2005, 01:59 AM
I for one passed on the AOTC version and would also pass on this one

OC47150
03-15-2005, 10:46 AM
I noticed him missing from the list and the picture of the figure poster that's making the rounds.

I have a feeling Jar Jar's role is even less than it was in AOTC.

MaquisWarrior
04-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Notice there are no Gungan figures, yet. Does this mean the Durge's killing spree was/is cannonical in the Cartoon?

darko666
04-16-2005, 07:24 PM
actually, jar jar is in the movie. but has less screen time than he had in AOTC. he supposedly goes to alderann with Bail to overlook Leia.

moulman
04-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Notice there are no Gungan figures, yet. Does this mean the Durge's killing spree was/is cannonical in the Cartoon?

Shh..dont jynx it for us..

HighLordDave
04-18-2005, 09:22 AM
This article was posted on TheForce.net (http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/editorials/060899.asp) when Episode I came out and discusses the purpose of Jar Jar Binks.

I think we'll see Jar Jar in ROTS.

Why is Jar Jar in Episode I?

We ran a poll recently here at Tf.n, asking what people thought of the new all-digital character of Jar Jar Binks. After taking a look at the final tally of that poll, it's clear the anti-Jar-Jar faction edged out the believers and casual fans.

Remember, there were many people who hated Jar-Jar Binks before the film had even come out. Sure, he sounded great in concept, but then the photos started leaking out on the Internet. "How did Lucas get from Chewbacca to Jar-Jar?!" - - surely it was wondered by quite a few fans. If he didn't work, the film would suffer greatly.

There was no way we were going to like this guy.

Then came the 12:01 showing of TPM on the 19th. And many people loved him! Not just some, but most everyone in the theater thought that Jar-Jar was one of the best spots of the movie. Many thought he added the "whimsy" that is the hallmark of the SW movies. As unrealistic as the character is, he makes the movies more "realistic", if they can be that in the least.

But there's still a lot of people out there who despise Jar-Jar Binks, for one reason or another. A lot of fans are wondering why Lucas put this Gungan degenerate in the movie in the first place. But they're forgetting that Jar-Jar is a character who appeals to children, and the child in all of us... and one way or another, we're going to come to like this guy! We have to...that's all part of the plan. He's meant to be adored, and not like Ewoks - we're supposed to have a real attachment to Jar-Jar Binks.

Which leads to this possible theory. There's a definite reason why Jar-Jar Binks is in the prequels. It has everything to do with Anakin's conversion to the Dark Side. And Anton Chekov.

Chekov, who we remember as the great Russian playwright, had one great rule of drama. It went something like this: "If a gun is to be fired in Act 3, it must be shown on the wall in Act 1. If a gun is shown mounted on the wall in Act 1, it must be fired by Act 3." This is a great way to express the concept of dramatic setup.

We all know Anakin and Jar-Jar have begun a friendship. No doubt that in the years following TPM, that friendship will grow tremendously. And in the years to come, both Anakin and Jar-Jar will change: they will grow up, they will mature. They will also find themselves being pulled from one extreme to another. In their own ways, both Anakin and Jar-Jar are the embodiment of childlike innocence: Anakin is ever hopeful, Jar-Jar is ever persistent. They both have no lack of enthusiasm. They have found the same circle of loving friends. They are the absolute last people in the SW movies we are going to come to expect to betray one to another.

Which is why Jar-Jar is needed right now. In TPM, Lucas mounted a lot of guns on the wall... just waiting for the right time to pull all the triggers. Jar-Jar Binks is one such trigger.

The rest of course, is speculation, but hear it out. You see, when Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader, he is going to proceed to wipe out most of the Jedi. He will probably kill a lot of other people in the process. These will be but statistics. They will not be the reason why we are going to be booing his appearance in Episode 4. No, if we are going to absolutely, utterly hate Vader, we're going to need a darn good reason to do so. There has to be one, and ONLY one, outright irredeemable act that Anakin/Vader will commit, that will set every heart against him forever. That reason is Jar-Jar Binks.

Sometime in Episode 3, amidst all the betrayals that will be taking place in the collapsing galaxy, this will be the one that will send little children crying into their mothers' bosoms. Anakin Skywalker, now turned to the Dark Side, betrays his old friend Jar-Jar Binks and murders him in the most cold-blooded, most heinous way that Lucas' compunctions and ILM-effects can get away with on the big screen.

Lucas said back in '94 that the big theme we would see in the prequels would be that of betrayal. That we wouldn't know who was the good guys and who was the bad guys sometimes. That friendships would be destroyed. The Anakin/Jar-Jar relationship will become the worst of these dramatic betrayals.

Next time you see Jar-Jar Binks, laugh at him. Come to love him. Then weep for him. For all his innocence, he may have the most terrible fate of all when this part of the story is complete.

by Chris Knight and Joshua Griffin
June 18th, 1999

mabudonicus
04-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Meesa no thinkin' heesa dyin :beard:

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 03:43 PM
I agree with the theory that he ends up on Alderaan watching over Leia with Bail.

Also, in reference to an E3 Jar-Jar figure. I, for one, would really like to see a nice neutral-posed, soft goods version of Jar-Jar (if he is in the movie).

HighLordDave
04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I picked up the book when I was at Sam's last week, so I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to figure out whether Jar Jar dies or not, but I'm trying to avoid all the major spoilers.

After the midnight showing of AOTC, one guy was leaving the theater saying, "I wish I didn't know Anakin's arm got cut off. It would have been so cool to have seen that without knowing."

I wanted to beat him over the head and say, "No one forced you to read the book or graphic novel before the movie!"

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I picked up the book when I was at Sam's last week, so I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to figure out whether Jar Jar dies or not, but I'm trying to avoid all the major spoilers.

After the midnight showing of AOTC, one guy was leaving the theater saying, "I wish I didn't know Anakin's arm got cut off. It would have been so cool to have seen that without knowing."

I wanted to beat him over the head and say, "No one forced you to read the book or graphic novel before the movie!"

Maybe he knew that from the fact that @ the end of E6 when Luke cut Darth's hand off that it showed that it was mechanical like his.

Don't assume, because you know what assumption is the mother of...