PDA

View Full Version : FX-7, RFT (TIVD), ImpO, Zutton, and the improved articulation

Darth Cruel
08-16-2001, 01:09 AM
I am quite pleased to be able to make the first post in the area a positive one.

Hasbro, if the pictures are doing the new figures of FX-7, Zutton, Rebel Fleet Trooper (Tantive IV Defender), and the Imperial Officer any justice, then I have to say that this is one of the best and biggest leaps of improvement, (at least for the improvements I wanted to see) so far. These figures have brought back a level of excitement that I have felt few times in the last couple of years. It is a little early to say keep up the good work...but I'll jump the gun a little. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

And post a little tidbit for us from time to time here in the forums.

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 03:46 AM
The articulation is a great leap here, I hope Hasbro has the sense to do more like this in the future, and I want to see a new, "shiny" stormtrooper with more articulation than the CTC version (specifically in the wrists).

Rollo Tomassi
08-16-2001, 03:51 AM
I agree on the Stormie, and leave out the silly blaster damage star!

hairless chewie
08-16-2001, 04:42 AM
All the figures look great and the line keeps on improving with each wave! What's up with the big head on Snags? Will the rebel trooper be able to stand with the jointed knees? I hope that all the soldiers figures get this kind of articulation and detail. Hoth troopers anyone? Keep it up!

bigbarada
08-16-2001, 11:26 AM
With Hasbro's new realscan technology they could easily dress somebody up in the stormtrooper, Vader, etc. armor and scan them, creating perfect likenesses.

JediCole
08-16-2001, 12:49 PM
"Check out the big head on Zutton!" (Mace Winfield, Pulp Wars)
As to the big head on Snags, I believe Zutton was played by a little person (dwarf). If you look closely at the proportions of the figure you will see that this is an accurate portrayal of a little person in a costume with a large mask. It is difficult to make out this distinction as the figure is not shown to scale with others, but when the pics arrive from Wizard World, I'm sure you will see that he is a lot shorter than most.

JEDIpartner
08-16-2001, 01:17 PM
just "Bravo" to Hasbro!

Jargo
08-16-2001, 06:25 PM
I'm just flabbergasted at the level of detail in the FX-7 figure. Those teeny arms are so cool. If they got the hollow part of his head right that's gonna blow me away. What's wrong with Snagglrtooth? He looks just as he does in the photos. I love the detail and his face is more Snivvian than that plain old Takeel from the CS. He'll make an excellent figure for customisers with a cool head sculpt like that. :D

evenflow
08-16-2001, 06:39 PM
I have to say that these figures look incredible. Way to go Hasbro. Keep up the good work. Can't see what is up next.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 02:03 AM
JediCole, I agree with you, I think the figure's body is the small part, not the head being large. I posted a thread in the POTJ section saying that, but I haven't looked at it since.

Jargo, cool attachment!

QLD
08-17-2001, 02:58 AM
They all look awesome!

It may be my untrained eye, but I can hardlt tell the difference in the new FX-7 and the original.

Jargo
08-17-2001, 05:34 AM
It may be my untrained eye, but I can hardly tell the difference in the new FX-7 and the original

The new one is so accurate it makes the vintage one look look like a salt shaker! This new one has all the detail that you see in the movie including the corect photo-receptor eyes and the little antennae on his head. It has the controls under his head in his 'neck'. His arms actually look like they could be articulated even if they're not. His colouring is correct. In a word he is awesome!
I had the vintage one at some time or other and had a lot of play out of him but he never looked like this.
Certain figures make you drool and this is one for me to drool over constantly even though it has no legs or battle stance or articulation. Simply because it is so accurate.

I'll knock together a comparison pic later and post it so you can see what I mean.

QLD
08-17-2001, 08:58 AM
That would be nifty Jargo, because I am too lazy to go looking for myself.

Eternal Padawan
08-17-2001, 11:37 AM
Does anyone else giggle at the name

EMPEROR JARGO
Moisture Farmer ?

Jargo
08-17-2001, 03:00 PM
Here's the evidence although a little small, it clearly shows that this new FX-7 is far superior to the vintage version which is, quite frankly, poo!;)

JediCole
08-17-2001, 04:46 PM
Thank you Jargo for the wonderful comparison of the prop to vintage to POTJ on FX-7. It would be great to have that for everyone! However, I have to take issue with calling the vintage FX-7 "poo". I could not wait for that to come out when it was first realeased. I payed more for it (about $4.00) brand new on the card than I had for almost anyone previously when it was released. And believe me, $4.00 was a LOT to pay for a figure back then. I couldn't believe how well (for the time) they managed to pull of a figure of FX-7. Granted, the new one is insanely detailed and everything we all want in a figure that is otherwise a "salt shaker", but you really have to put yourself in the shoes of those of us who have collected since 1977. When the POTF figures came out we were ready to pull our own heads off we were so blown away (by comparison to say the sculpts from the Early Bird Four). I shudder to think there is a whole generation that never knew the vintage figures when they were new. Nor did they have "record players" or Betamax VCRS. What is this world coming to?
P.S. Keep up the great detail work, Hasbro. Though I have a soft spot in my heart for the vintage figures which have been with me from the age of 12 to the present day (yes, I still have all of my original figures purchased as they came out), I am in awe of what is coming out and how much better it gets with each new release and projected release. Don't skimp on quantities on Amanaman, I want to make an Amanin Army!

Jargo
08-17-2001, 05:27 PM
Emperor Jargo was making a little funny....... :)

he was indeed around to pick the freshly placed figures off the shelves in those halcyon days of the 1970's. He can remember distinctly walking into TOY AND HOBBY to gaze longingly at the Millenium Falcon in it's huge box that was too expensive for poor Jargo. He can still see the shiny rows of Walrus man and Greedo winking salaciously at him from their brightly colored wall bracket pegs. Gone are the days when a figure would somehow find it's way into Jargo's pocket as if by divine hand......

Ah let's cut to the chase!

I don't think any vintage are 'poo', I just like these POTF2 and EP1 and POTJ better. 'Tis merely my humble opinion. Perhaps an army of FX-7's would look cooler than an army of battle droids?

No - that's just plain silly! :)

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 04:18 PM
Great comparison photo! I've heard all 19 of the arms are articulated on this POTJ figure, at least some at the "elbow" as well. The Vint one was nice work for it's time, but I'm afraid with this POTJ one coming, the only word for it now is "cute".

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 08:25 PM
The vintage FX-7 was always one of my favorites, just because it was so different from all the other figures. I was beginning to worry that Hasbro would never make a new one.

Of course, this new one is a 300% improvement; but considering twenty years passed between the two releases, it better be.

Eternal Padawan
06-15-2002, 02:51 PM
As a big fan of articulation in figures, I think Hasbro has taken a giant step backwards after this wave came out. The utter dreck that has been the SAGA line makes me wonder what shift in policy occured that led us from super articulation like FX-7 (can we get a treadweel droid like this hasbro?) to the atrocious one pose wonders like the Jedi (Shaak-Ti and Luminara being the absolute worst) or awful action features that might have looked good on the drawing board, but fail miserably on the shelf. (Padme anyone?)

Most figures have oddly splayed limbs that prevent them from doing anything except stand in the pose they are in in the package (or else look extremely goofy in any other pose. The neutrally posed figures are usually adorned with hard plastic "clothes" that hang down and prevent their leg articulation from being useful, such as sitting in vehicles(Capt. Typho, Obi Wan etc) or their torsos are ladened with so many accesories that their waist articulation is useless (Zam Wesell).

On behalf of collectors everywhere, allow me to plead for MORE articulation in these figures. Let us, the COLLECTORS, choose which poses to put the figures in. Thanks.

abell748
06-15-2002, 06:54 PM
even if hasbro retorts with "they are for kids", i think most kids would like their figures to move and be placed in whatever postion they want to play with the figure in. as a kid i liked the vintage line, but when g.i. joe came out, that was the greatest thing a boy could ask for. they were cool, detailed, and articulated. you know hasbro made them, what happened?

Eternal Padawan
06-16-2002, 09:25 AM
Well it takes more time and effort to design and produce a multi-articulated figure like GI Joe, and therefore more money. Hasbro is interested in making the most money from having spent the smallest amount. And they know Star Wars collectors are like heroin addicts and will buy whatever crap they cramk out because of the completist mentality. So why put forth the extra effort to make a detailed articulate action figure when collectors will pay the same amount for a PVC statue of Shaak-Ti? if they produced higher quality figures, their profit margin would shrink, the investors would get angry, start asking questions, and a bunch of high level muckety mucks would get golden parachutes. The consumer never really factors into the equasion. Unfortunately.