PDA

View Full Version : 25th Anniversary 2-packs

sith_killer_99
01-04-2002, 11:20 PM
I just picked up the Luke/Leia and Han/Chewie 2-packs. Here's the low-down:

Packaging: Looks GREAT, thank you Hasbro for not including the "Power of the Jedi" tag line on these sets. I like the Silver Anniversary logo. However, the packaging could have been a little more sturdy. The clear plastic allows for great viewing of these mini-dioramas, but it should have been just a little thicker. Just a small complaint.:p

Display: Cool detailed bases and great background pics make these wonderful display pieces.

The figures: Here is where Hasbro scores the lowest! So listen up HASBRO!

Leia: Please, for the love of god just give-up on making Leia in her famous white robe. How many of these have been done now? The only one I ever liked was the CommTech version and it was miserably under-produced. The head sculpt is better than previous attempts but it still looks wrong...maybe it's the chin, I can't quite put my finger on it. The outfit looks just as bad as the first POTF2 version, here's a hint...don't make the hood-down piece seperate it makes it look too fake. On the up side the belt looks much better.

Luke: Yet another BAD Luke head sculpt. Noone has ever gotten this right IMO. As for the rest, well again the CommTech version was better.

Han Solo: What did Hasbro do to this poor guy's face? It looks almost cartoonish. Is he supposed to look younger? Han was 5-10 years older than Luke! He NEVER looked that young in the movies. Yet again the CommTech version was superior. Here's a little advise...if it works well stick to it...or...if it ain't broke don't fix it. In other word go back to the CommTech head sculpt of Han and use it with EVERY single new re-re-re-sculpt. It was and still is the most accurate. IMO

Chewbacca: Head sculpt is great and I really like the new bow caster (very detailed and accurate). As for the rest...well:confused: I understand why he is in that horrible almost embarassing pose, but it looks kinda funny, if you know what I mean.

Price: My next biggest complaint. These things were like $15.99 (at Wal-Mart) I can buy 2 POTJ figures at the same store for $12.88?!?! A difference of $3.11 for....the base I guess?!?! What I'm saying is that, given the quality of the figures I had a hard time parting with the money for these things. Had the quality of the figures been better (these also have ZERO articulation) or had the price been $5.00 less I would have bought an extra of each to open...sadly that will never happen.:cry:

Overall: I like these for "Silver Anniversary" keep-in-the-box-and-put-on-display sets. However, these are NOT action figures. They are little statues...and not very detailed stautes at that.

Over all grade: C+ (Mostly for the nostalgia and the cool packaging)

bigbarada
01-10-2002, 10:38 PM
I've always thought the COMMTECH Han was the least accurate likeness. At least you could see a little bit of Harrison Ford in the early buffed up POTF2 figures. IMHO, the DSE Han is the best likeness thus far; too bad he's stuck in that wierd pose. But I haven't seen these 25th Anni sets up close so that judgement may change.

JEDIpartner
01-16-2002, 01:09 PM
I totally have to disagree with you about the Han Solo facial accuracy. I picked the sets up and everyone, including the non-collectors I know, has said that this and the DSE Han have the best facial accuracy. Most of them think the 25th box one is the best. The problem is with the hair. It doesn't match the picture from which this was to mirror. I have seen the picture they used for the head sculpt and it was a publicity picture that was taken either before filming began or as Harrison Ford was going into production on "Force Ten from Navarrone". That explains the difference in the hair. My biggest gripe is that Chewbacca's eyes are not blue as they were in the POTJ line. They are merely two black dots. I was a little disappointed in this. I really haven't a problem with the lack of articulation. I believe these were really made to be display pieces. I DID open the boxes to adjust the poses slightly. They look much better now. I've closed up the packages and they are sitting in a cabinet at home. I like them very much. I managed to find a set where Luke and Leia looked a lot like Luke and Leia. I suppose I lucked out.

OC47150
01-17-2002, 04:52 PM
I've never seen anyone else on this board other than you, JEDIPartnr, make a reference to Force 10.

Han's headsculpt could be improved on.

JEDIpartner
02-06-2002, 10:51 AM
I was young, but I was still paying attention! :D

JEDIpartner
02-06-2002, 11:02 AM
I just had the luck to acquire the last of the 25th Anniversary sets yesterday. What a prize this one is!

The detailing on this one is amazing... all the way down to the bags under ol' Ben's eyes!

The packaging is identical to the other two sets- employing the backdrop scheme. This backdrop has the doorway leading to the hangar with the Millennium Falcon in the background.

Darth Vader: The detailing on this figure is exquisite. He is, by far, the best Vader sculpt to date. All of the paint applications are dead on and the pose, with his torso tilting slightly to the right is very dynamic. The under robes have a lot of movement in their moulding. The codpiece, which is usually moulded to the lower torso is actually a separate piece which is moulded into the belt. The face plate is fantastic with its maroon coloured eyes.

Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi: Again, the pose is very dynamic. The robes have been sculpted with great care as there are quite a few "flaws" in his beige robes to give it more of a woven cloth look. The exterior brown robe is standard looking, but with a bit of "grain" to it. There is a small post under his one foot to give the leg a more toe down, heel up realism to the pose.

I had to open the package to reposition the figures, as I did with the previous two. Ben's cloak had shifted backwards a little causing a little exposure of the beige through the arm holes. That was corrected easily enough. I turned Ben's head to the right so he is looking a little more towards Vader. This actually helped quite a bit. The hood looked like it was "hanging back" a little until I did this. I also twisted his torso a little to the right as well. I turned Vader's head to the left, again to have him looking more at his opponent. The arms were repositioned on BOTH figures to have the lightsabers make contact. Once sealed back up this baby was a real gem! I have no issues with items like this sporting the dynamic poses as these are more shelf pieces than toys.

Beast
02-06-2002, 11:35 AM
I have to agree with JEDIpartnr, I think all three sets are great, with the Vader vs. Ben set being the best of the three. We haven't gotten a basic Vader that looked this good since the under produced Sith Lords 2-pack. Infact he even blows that one away. Love the fact they actually sculpted a chain onto the figure, so it looks like it's holding his cape on. The Ben is wonderful also, as JEDIpartnr said, the pose is very dynamic. Love the look of the robes, the sculpted flaws really do make it look like cloth. The outer robe is equally impressive, and to me this is the definative version of Obi-Wan, with the POTJ uncloaked version coming in second place for uncloaked versions. Now, if I could only find one some where. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

General Veers
02-09-2002, 12:46 PM
I just picked up the Vader vs. Ben set in my local Target. It's just a step above the flashback Ben and Vader. Looks great in or out of the box, but they're nothin' but statues/:(

Turbowars
02-11-2002, 01:32 AM
Hey I think all three are great!! I love the Detail on Vader and Ben. Chewy is almost the best yet. The only thing stopping it is that he can't stand up. Other than that he's the best Chewy ever. He's finally bigger than Han, I mean look at Chewy's feet.

OC47150
02-11-2002, 08:34 AM
I saw the Vader/Obi-Wan two-set for the first time in the stores on Saturday -- $17 at TRU. Ouch!

General Veers
02-11-2002, 05:17 PM
I know what you mean OC47150, at Target they are $15.99. That's a hole in my wallet:(

OC47150
02-12-2002, 08:32 AM
I still haven't picked one up yet, Veers, because of the price. I'm hoping some other outlet other than Target and TRU will carry them.

sith_killer_99
02-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Well, I just got the Vader/Obi-Wan! I bought 2, one to keep boxed and one for my loose collection.

I always buy and extra Vader for my loose collection. I have every Vader sculpt for my loose collection. With the exception of the Vintage Takara sculpt Darth Vader.

I must say that this Vader is a far cry from being the best ever. In fact I would have to say that the Sith Lords 2-pack Vader is better. He's more to scale, has a cloth cape, and his armor is more detailed. The only exception is the cain on Anniv. Vader, which was a nice touch. However, I noticed that my loose Vader has a poorly painted saber handle.

As statues these are great. But again, that's all they are good for. The legs are 1 molded piece for crying out loud.

Considering I had to pay $16.99 (TRU) for 2 figures, that's $8.50 per figure, I really expected more. It's clear that the money went for packaging.

Again these guys came with a cool base, great background, and awesome display box. But they are not action figures.

And I still like the Flashback Obi-Wan better.

Please don't let my opinion stop you from buying these. They are nice sets. I don't regret getting them. I do however regret buying an extra for my loose collection.;)