PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan Kenobi (Slashing Attack) and Anakin Skywalker (Lightsaber Attack)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Though the ROTS figures aren't supposed to be available until April 2, many stores across the country with apparently illiterate stockers have put out some new figures. I was lucky enough to get eight of them at my local Wal-Mart a few days ago, each for the price of $5.24. Don't worry if you haven't found any yet, they will all be easily available in a few weeks.

I decided ot first review the first two figures from the Revenge of the Sith line, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Slashing Attack) and Anakin Skywalker (Lightsaber Attack). They're both characters we've seen countless times before, but with spiffy new hairdos and slightly different costumes. Let's begin, shall we?

For both of these guys, the face sculpt isn't very good. Obi-Wan's face looks very wide, and Ani's just looks undefined when compared to his AOTC counterparts. They're both passable, but with the other amazing sculpts on recent figures, these don't cut it, especially since Hasbro's been sculpting these guys for a while now. Anakin sports a new scar across his eye and some other stuff on his left cheek, but I don't know if that's just a paint defect on mine. Their arms are weird, especially Obi-Wan's. Their articulation allows them to hold their sabers or sort of have their arms at their sides, but it looks much better to have them ready to fight. Their crotches go down twice as far as they do in real life, and this makes their legs look shorter when they sit down (they kind of look like Cotton from King of the Hill). You can't tell this from just having them stand, as their tunics cover this up. On their belts, there are little holes so you can plug their saber hilts in, and it looks cool. The only major costume difference for Ani is his glove, which looks good but is too short considering Dooku cut it off above the elbow (but Hasbro's just copying the film).

Obi-Wan comes with an open hand, a closed hand around an ignited lightsaber, and a lightsaber hilt to clip on his belt. Anakin comes with the same, but an extra hand/saber combo in red. This new idea is pretty cool, it's so the sabers won't fly out of their hands or break when using the action features (which I'll get to in a second). Obi-Wan's ignited saber is the same one he used in TPM and AOTC, but his hilt is the one from ANH. All three of Anakin's are from ROTS and are Luke's in ANH. I don't know why his red one is the same as his blue, or why he'd use one before he gets the suit. Same thing goes for the color-change role play saber. I'll bet it's just for fun toys. The detail on Obi-Wan's hilt is amazing, just have a look at the place where the blade would come out of to see what I mean.

Much to the dismay of collectors, the Revenge of the Sith line heralds the revenge of the action featues. However, instead of big ugly buttons coming out of their butts, these guys have features triggered by squeezing their legs together (or more precisely, moving their right leg inwards). Despite their different names, these action features are the same. Squeeze the legs, and their waists turn to make the figures attack. Actually, it's not half bad. It's almost *gasp!* fun. For us collectors, the figures look good (for the most part) and these are just a bonus. However, I hope they don't continue past the initial 56 figures.

The articulation on these bad boys is the same - head, ball-joint shoulders, ball-joint elbows, right wrist (removable), waist (with the feature), and legs. It's not bad, but I hoped for a bit more. Then again, that is what Collection 2 is all about this time around, and Collection 2 these ain't. For what it is, these are pretty good. Both figures have loose right elbow joints, to provide for the feature and make them "slash" when they hold it in one hand. The same goes for their right elbows, but not as much.

Overall, if you're looking to have some fun and recreate some ROTS scenes, these are good for the job. If you want something more photo-realistic, you might want to hold out a little longer.

Grade (both) - B+