PDA

View Full Version : K-mart stops ROTS sales across US.

Turbowars
03-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Today I found some figures that BlueSnaggles told me about at a K-mart in North Hollywood CA. When I went to pay the screen said can not sell before release date. I talked to a manager and he acted pretty clueless about why he couldn't sell them. Anyways I left empty handed. There's another story at GH about other states putting the smack down on ROTS figures.

Sith Lord 0498
03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
It gets even worse apparently.

I recently signed onto the Pennsylvania Star Wars Collecting Society, and I just read four or five different reports of NO SALE experiences at K-Marts across PA today. In these examples, managers are coming to the register, confiscating the figures, and actually ordering the customers to leave the store!!!

So let me put this in the proper perspective...

1) K-Mart is overcharging their product by $1.00 to $1.75 more than their competitors.

2) K-Mart rarely gets new product in compared to their competitors.

3) K-Mart is still recovering from their bankrupcy ordeal.

After all that, now K-Mart is coming down on their customers like a bunch of (pardon the pun) stormtroopers over figures they mistakenly released early?!?!?

What the $&%*$*#*@ is wrong with that company??!?!?!?!?

As much as I don't agree with some of the ways Wal-Mart treats its employees (my wife and I both worked for the company years ago at different times), I will definitely be going there, Target, and TRU for my SW shopping.

After hearing reports like the ones I read and just described, I'd hope many of you boycott "Stew"-Mart for ROTS merchandise as well.

Davros224
03-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Same thing happened to me at the Acton MA K-Mart. They had all 12 of Collection 1, Wave 1 and wouldn't sell them. I asked the manager if I could put a few on lay away (the 2 clone troopers they had) and his response was to leave or he would call security! (For attempted purchase of product)

Rocketboy
03-13-2005, 08:43 PM
That is insane - not letting a customer purchase a product that's on the shelves!
They would have no choice but to call security if they were to deny me a purchase because they were the ones that screwed up. I would raise all kinds of hell with them and go even higher than that particular store manager.

Slicker
03-13-2005, 08:45 PM
That's ridiculous. They should let people buy them because that's the only way they'll get people to pay $1 more is by letting them get them early. I had this same thing happen to me though when the AOTC toys were coming out I was able to find the Zam and Ani speeders at WM and they wouldn't sell. I didn't get any rude remarks just the cashier calling the manager and then asking me which aisle I got them from so they could remove them. No security threats or anything.

Fwad
03-13-2005, 08:45 PM
I guess i got lucky Saturday.The Kmart in my area had all 24 new figures out on the shelf. There had to be 5 cases of collection 1 and 4 of collection 2. They also had 1 case of unleashed and 1 case of Force Battlers. These were put out on purpose early to cash in while they could before Walmart and others undercut their prices. Management knew about this and got caught. My Kmart up here thought it was funny because out of all those figures all they had to take back off the shelf was 6 figures. All the others were gone in less than 5 minutes.

Davros224
03-13-2005, 08:47 PM
It gets even more pitiful! I also tried to buy Sly Moore and Merry in Rohan armor from LOTR and the manager wouldn't allow that either! They rang up and he just said "Oh well that must be a computer mistake" I couldn't even convince the #$&&*( that Lord of the Rings was a different toy line!

Turbowars
03-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah I was pretty POed about the whole thing. The sale of the product must have got out and got someone in deep crap. I was cool about the whole thing at the store. I wasn't ordered to leave. The people were not rude at all. They just played dumb and acted like they didn't know what was going on.

Sith Lord brings up some great issues with K-Mart. Personally I hate the trashy store. I go for exclusive SW items and that's it. The store looks run down and so do the employees and most of the people that shop there. The store just looks like no one cares.

In the end the sale of these items got to a higher authority and they had to put a stop to it, because Lucas said so. The figures shouldn't had be out and both the store and collectors suffer. Like I said I really didn't want to spend 8 bucks for a figure anyways but you know what Krap-Mart, I would have.

tagmac
03-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Threatening to call security and forcing you to leave all because you wanted to purchase figures that were on the shelf? Did they just assume you had gone into the stockroom without any proof? Never mind the fact that these managers should be fired for both breaking a merchandise rule AND harassing an innocent customer, but you should call the BBB on them. Might not help, but at least you can file a report. If enough similar reports come in, maybe something will get done.

The worst part of this is, many of the people who did get these figures will probably show up at Midnight Madness and buy more of the same ones. Then when we try to hit places like K-Mart and Target the next morning to get whatever we missed, they won't have anything on the shelf cuz of their ridiculous error.

BlueSnags
03-13-2005, 09:55 PM
K-Mart sucks.

-Blue Snag

JetsAndHeels
03-13-2005, 10:02 PM
That is insane - not letting a customer purchase a product that's on the shelves!
They would have no choice but to call security if they were to deny me a purchase because they were the ones that screwed up. I would raise all kinds of hell with them and go even higher than that particular store manager.

You said it.
I was lucky enough to get my stuff today at Wal-Mart, but had I gone to KMart and had someone order me out or call security, I would have made one hell of a scene. Kmart cannot afford to lose customers or hurt their image anymore than they have already. Quite frankly I am surprised they have managed to survive the wave of Super WM's and Targets everywhere.

bobafrett
03-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Well, I work at Wal-Mart, and I haven't even seen hide nor hair of anything relating to the new SW toys. I know when EP II toys started rolling in, they were required to put them on a seperate pallet and the boxes were marked in a colored lettering stating that they were not to be put out before "XX/XX/XXXX". The management stuck to it, and I wasn't even allowed to get any toys until early in the morning of that date. The only reason they let me get a jump on the toys, was I wore my Stormtrooper costume for the collectors as they came in at the store opening.

Darth Alex
03-13-2005, 11:00 PM
"The worst part of this is, many of the people who did get these figures will probably show up at Midnight Madness and buy more of the same ones. Then when we try to hit places like K-Mart and Target the next morning to get whatever we missed, they won't have anything on the shelf cuz of their ridiculous error."

-posted earlier tonight.

No offense, but I think every store will have a glut of product on 4/2 whether it's 12:01AM or 8:00AM. And...I'll be one of those people buying more of the same. I'm army building with some figures despite how much I complain about the cost...I would like a couple of GG's bodyguards and a couple of Cloentroopers(just for different poses and shoulder markings, at least) and a few of the Royal Guards. Diorama buidling is really tough with the way Hasbro ships stuff, but 4/2 will be a great day to get stuff. And by saying this I'm not trying to start a debate, but I really wouldn't worry about stock availability on 4/2, 4/3, etc,etc. We'll ALL find what we're lookin for.

This is just crazy ********(insert favorite ex-pla-tive). Kmart is summed up by Sith Lord. Ya know, I've been tradin and talkin with SL 0498 since we live in the same neck of the woods for a little while now, and it's been a blast. When I bought the 12 Coll 1 figs I found 3/12, I ASKED him if he wanted some of them, ya know, spread the joy, spread the finds. I called Brotha James up and asked him(this is a non-posting friend who also collects somewhat) if he wanted any. Both turned em down. Price, etc. If either of em called me up tommorow I'd trade em, sell em, whatever.
Point being, I'm NOT selling these toys on e-bay and I'm not hoarding them or bragging about an early find. Truth be told, it feels a little weird, caught me WAY off guard, but is now bittersweet and reading all about the Kmart kibosh.

Kmart collectively is proving why they are a leaking, sinking ship. If this was a publicity stunt or some measure of goodwill or a show of 'Hey, Target and Walmart, I'm still in the GAME', we'll they blew it bad on this one.
Walmart treated me the same way back in 2002 when I found figures about 2 weeks early. 12 figures in hand back then and I got slam dunk-deNIED at the register.

Retailers, retailers, these are only TOYS. Yes, we are OBSESSED with getting their greatness in our paws, but still, what's gonna happen if ya sell em early?
NOTHING...except the money you make. What, is Lucas gonna BAN you from selling Episode 7 figures early? Is Hasbro gonna block your start on their latest TOY MASTERPIECE.

For those of you still reading....I found BATMAN BEGINS figures, both BASIC and DELUXE at the Wilkes-Barre, PA Boscov's today. For those unfamiliar, it's a 41 store east-coast department chain run by one Al Boscov.
Boscov don't give a rat's ******* what street dates are. Since Batman Begins, well, BEGINS after ROTS, I think it's hilarious the way leaks are.

Just about every spring you go to TRU and see early launches 2-3-4-5 months ahead of time for a movie toy-line. Just because it's STAR WARS we have to wait. Sales will still be tracked. Advertising will still be effective, IF, some figures start making it out now.

I work in a record store. I see release dates moved up all the time due to downloads, bottlegging, etc. Hasbro could move up the release. They don't have to. We can be patient and wait 19 days. But not selling product in hand, in store, and rudely beating the people outta their finds. STUPID, Kmart, Stupid.

All over toys:ermm:

Darth Alex
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
BTW- the Batman Begins figures are lousy. Same wave style as has been forever...LAVA attack...Hang glide....Super Action chopping Batman. OK, you get the point. The likeness is nothing like Christian Bale and the figure(not in stock) that is on the cardback revealing him looks horrible.

Anyway, THERE'S a street date violation for you...Batman Begins out before the ROTS line launch, officially.

General_Grievous
03-14-2005, 12:24 AM
I could've cared less about the Batman Begins line before you posted that, and I care even less about it now. But I don't think that they have a street date. The comic book movie toys usually street really early. Just the other day at TRU, I saw the Fantastic Four Thing Feet, and that movie doesn't open till July 8th.

Kidhuman
03-14-2005, 12:58 AM
What a crock. If ythey called security on me,Iwould have made a huge scene. The merchandise is out, it is for sale.

One of my friends is an assistant manager at Target. I found the wheel Bike and stuff there. After Ipurchased the GH ROTS figs we were talking and I said I told him the merch was not supposed ot be out yet. Since he is a friend and in charge of toys overall, I didnt want him to get fined and in trouble. He didnt really care that the stuff was bought, and frankly he said it is not the customners fault and would have to be sold regardless because it is out on shelves. They ended up pulling the rest of what was left, but because the tags are out, you canask and the unknowing employess will get it from the back, like they did with my new wheelbike.

Bottom line, I say boycott K-Mart for all SW needs if they will treat us like that.

mephisto designs
03-14-2005, 02:29 AM
I can't believe the Kmart's were doing that to customers. Its not like we went into the back and took them out. They did! I found out about the screw up saturday morning at a ToysRUs in Torrance (in south L.A.). A guy said he saw them there and was complaining about the price. I was under the impression they were supposed to be 6.99 which is what they were selling them for when I got there. The preview line has been 6.99 everywhere I've seen too. What were the prices where you all found them? Wasn't there even an article saying the figs would be going up a buck this time anyway? Anyway, it looked like others had hit the store all morning. When I got there, I managed to get almost everyone from wave 1 of collection 1 and 2. The Magna guards, Vader's, C-3P0's, Royal guards, and clones were gone. I bought one of each of what they did have. I didn't get any bantha poodoo at check out. The guy didn't even blink. The lady at the door just looked at me funny and said "you really like star wars huh?". I just smiled and nodded. I normally would never step foot in a Kmart. Like somebody mentioned earlier, its just to trashy. But my craving for star wars figs was worth it. I'm not putting any on ebay, I'm an opener/diorama guy. I also only took one of each troop that they had (one battle droid, one super battle droid) cuz I didn't want to screw the next person lucky enough to stumble on the find. I'm just happy because that's 18 less figures I don't have to fight for on the 2nd.

2-1B
03-14-2005, 06:19 AM
I can't get over the idea of ordering people out of the store for trying to buy product.

Hey if they're going to treat you like you're robbing the place, you might as well. ;)

XbrandonX
03-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Here's my experience.

I went to the local Kmart here, and found 30 figures. I took them all to buy them. They rang up as "Do not sell." So, in asking the guy why, he starts putting them back in the box, upside down, slamming them in (I think that angered me more than not being able to buy them). Some other guy comes up and tells me "Yeah, you can't buy these until 4/2" and I say "Well, I bought 3 of them at Wal Mart today (2 different Anakins, 1 Ben)." Their reply was "That's Wal Mart, our release date is different.." Idiots.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I talked to the director of the store, and said "Look, everytime I come in here, I'm never given a reason to come back, rather I'm always given a barrage of reasons not to come back." His basic reply was "Well, I'm not selling these to you."

I just told him "Well, Wal Mart has them out...Congratulations, you just let 210$ of sales walk out the door...And you wonder why your company is in
financial ruins."

My friend ran into the same thing a couple of cities over. Although, he found 42 figures (both red and blue guards, too.....which is neat). Took 42 figures, 6 lightsabers, a Gunship, and Force Battlers up to the counter, and wasn't able to buy them.

Definitely won't be going back to Kmart ever again.

Veers
03-14-2005, 08:23 AM
I remember that happened to me with AOTC figures. I got all the ROTS figs at Wal Mart with no problem.

Kidhuman
03-14-2005, 09:40 AM
So this morning I was feeling a little ballsy, so I walked into K-Mart after reading this thread. WHat do my eyes behold??? A brand new case of ROTS Unleashed. I rip the puppy open, grab General Grievous and walk up to the register. It rang up and i paid for it and walked out. I was giddy and irked, because I wanted them to tell me not to buy it. Well, I got it now, so I wont be going back into there anytime soon

Makes no sense why I was able to buy it and they wont sell other stuff in other stores??

Edit: Well I just reported the store to Hasbro for selling me the merchandise...:D

DarthQuack
03-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Trying to put the screws to ole K-Mart eh KH? :)

jedi master sal
03-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Okay, so here's my prolem. Not only did I find all of the figs (except #9 grievous), but the deluxe, Unleashed, Force Battlers, Boga and Speederbike on Saturday. The next day, I go to Wal*Mart and ask about the figs and the guy goes into the back and comes out with a case of minty fresh ROTS figs #'s 13-24. I get these too.

So I tell my fiancee about all of the trouble with Kmart that people are having and the fact that KMart pulled all of their stock.

Here's the problem: She wants me to sell the stuff I got at KMart on eBay, to recoup that money and possibly make a profit. To me that's morally wrong from the collectors standpoint, but those in relationships know sometimes you have to put your feelings aside. So, I ask two of my coworkers what wd they do if in the same situation. They both said, sell them on eBay.

Crap!

I really don't want to do this as it will save me the headache of looking for them again, but I've also got to live with my lady. If I don't cave, I could be hearing about it for months. Gawd, it's not like I don't have "a Pair", but I just don't want the aggravation from her.

So what do you guys think?

Should I sellon eBay thereby calming things down with my fiancee and having some semblance of peace.

or

Not sell them and save myself the aggravation of looking for them again, knowing that this will cause a possibly heated argument.

I'll be honest that I'm leaning toward selling, but I really don't want to.

Signed "Caught between an Asteroid Field and a Carbonite slab" (Rock and a hard place)

-Sal

sjd9299
03-14-2005, 12:24 PM
The Kmart in Jamestown, Ny had 2 cases of collection 1 and 1 case of collection 2 along with some vehicles, deluxe figures and unleashed all ROTS. I saw the cases and stamped in big red letters they said "Do not put on the flor until April 2" I thought that the register would not let the sale go through, just as many of you have described. But the sale wnet through. As of yesterday they still had some deluxe figures and vehicles.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-14-2005, 12:44 PM
That's nuts! I kind of want to go to a Kmart just to see if they let me buy their stuff. Isn't it illegal to not let someone buy the merchandise that's out on the shelves? If they don't want someone to buy it, why the heck would they put it out in the first place?

I'm glad I already found some figures at WM, and they sold them to me. When they legally can sell them after April 2, I won't be going to Kmart. The only reasons I've gone to Kmart in the past few years is for their cantina three-packs!

Kidhuman
03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I went back toKmart and they would not sell me the Grievous Force Battler. I argued with them showing the reciept that I bought this morning and they refused to sell.

2-1B
03-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Jeez KH, going back like that and rubbing it in their faces, sounds like you've got a death wish. :D

Sal, I think that's not a very difficult question. And no offense but it DOES sound like you don't have "a pair." Seriously, if you are going to let yourself be pushed around like that over a few toys on eBay, I believe you are in for a loooooong road of marriage and I really think that you should call off the wedding. If she thinks selling them on eBay is even worth the time and effort, not to mention the grief caused by nagging over it, then what is going to happen when a *real* situation arises ?

You should end the engagement. That's what I think. :)

Darth Alex
03-14-2005, 01:23 PM
I could've cared less about the Batman Begins line before you posted that, and I care even less about it now. But I don't think that they have a street date. The comic book movie toys usually street really early. Just the other day at TRU, I saw the Fantastic Four Thing Feet, and that movie doesn't open till July 8th.

Good points...BB probably doesn't have a street date and the F Four will probably start showing up in stores en masse. Good find on the Feet, I look forward to when Walmart has 309 pairs in stock up to the ceiling:nerv: ...

Darth Alex
03-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Okay, so here's my prolem. Not only did I find all of the figs (except #9 grievous), but the deluxe, Unleashed, Force Battlers, Boga and Speederbike on Saturday. The next day, I go to Wal*Mart and ask about the figs and the guy goes into the back and comes out with a case of minty fresh ROTS figs #'s 13-24. I get these too.

So I tell my fiancee about all of the trouble with Kmart that people are having and the fact that KMart pulled all of their stock.

Here's the problem: She wants me to sell the stuff I got at KMart on eBay, to recoup that money and possibly make a profit. To me that's morally wrong from the collectors standpoint, but those in relationships know sometimes you have to put your feelings aside. So, I ask two of my coworkers what wd they do if in the same situation. They both said, sell them on eBay.

Crap!

I really don't want to do this as it will save me the headache of looking for them again, but I've also got to live with my lady. If I don't cave, I could be hearing about it for months. Gawd, it's not like I don't have "a Pair", but I just don't want the aggravation from her.

Should I sellon eBay thereby calming things down with my fiancee and having some semblance of peace.

or

Not sell them and save myself the aggravation of looking for them again, knowing that this will cause a possibly heated argument.

Signed "Caught between an Asteroid Field and a Carbonite slab" (Rock and a hard place)

-Sal

Well, as Ben says, "you must do what you feel is right, of course...".
You're the collector. They're now your toys and you have the right to do whatever you like with em. I believe that in relationships this is a kind of grey area. I don't usually fuss when a girlfriend buys more shoes or spends a half a Saturday in Value City, but I do hear about it when I buy the latest SW figure. Never fails.
I say, for what it's worth, I you wanna sell em on ebay, great. I admire the fact that you are OBVIOUSLY NOT a scalper scum, from reading your posts and knowing of your affilation to the PSWCS. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
But...if you keep the figures, I think yer mate-to-be should lighten up.

Good luck and remember, construction crews are digging a space for Kmart next to Hills and Ames, despite their forthcoming merger with Sears!:stupid:

Darth Alex
03-14-2005, 01:39 PM
I went back toKmart and they would not sell me the Grievous Force Battler. I argued with them showing the reciept that I bought this morning and they refused to sell.

That is just plain wrong.
At this point, Kmart should wise up and try to make money. I'm sure their stockholders would be happy to know they uphold street dates when I just went to meet Sith Lord 0498 at the WB PA Walmart this morning and buy a bunch of Collection 2 figures.

I say, if the stock is on the shelf, you HAVE TO SELL IT TO THE CUSTOMER. PERIOD. END OF STORY, DON-KAY! Kmart broke street date, boo-hoo, who CARES at this point in the game.

If you're a Kmart....uhhh...executive reading this, here's a free pass to clue-town for ya....18 days and mere hours, your precious 4/2 is here.
Walmart don't care.
Target don't care.
TRU...well, they kinda care in some stores, more now than last week.
We're(the collective SW collecting community) not dumb, guys.
We understand retail build-up, advertising dates for circulars, and line lanches.
Take a clue from the Entertainment Industry TUESDAY new release days....if there is such hotness and such street date breakin' goin on, sell the GOODS.

The next 2 1/2 weeks are gonna be interesting.

I don't have the $$$ to buy every single thing right now, but I still think this holding back nonsense needs to be repealed. Besides, if I score finds at Wally World, layaway will be utilized until my wallet gets fatter....

jedi master sal
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Well, as Ben says, "you must do what you feel is right, of course...".
You're the collector. They're now your toys and you have the right to do whatever you like with em. I believe that in relationships this is a kind of grey area. I don't usually fuss when a girlfriend buys more shoes or spends a half a Saturday in Value City, but I do hear about it when I buy the latest SW figure. Never fails.
I say, for what it's worth, I you wanna sell em on ebay, great. I admire the fact that you are OBVIOUSLY NOT a scalper scum, from reading your posts and knowing of your affilation to the PSWCS. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
But...if you keep the figures, I think yer mate-to-be should lighten up.

Good luck and remember, construction crews are digging a space for Kmart next to Hills and Ames, despite their forthcoming merger with Sears!:stupid:

Well, I did some research and the figs aren't selling that much more than what I paid. I told her that and she just said keep them. So, problem solved.

-Sal

jedi master sal
03-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Jeez KH, going back like that and rubbing it in their faces, sounds like you've got a death wish. :D

Sal, I think that's not a very difficult question. And no offense but it DOES sound like you don't have "a pair." Seriously, if you are going to let yourself be pushed around like that over a few toys on eBay, I believe you are in for a loooooong road of marriage and I really think that you should call off the wedding. If she thinks selling them on eBay is even worth the time and effort, not to mention the grief caused by nagging over it, then what is going to happen when a *real* situation arises ?

You should end the engagement. That's what I think. :)

I've lived with her for 7 years. It's not that easy to do.
Besides, this is not a deal breaker. I just know that after this long time, it's easier to back down and fight another time.
As Obi-wan has said, "There are alternatives to fighting." It is more a fact that our relationship is a fairly decent comprimise. By doing the research as mentioned in my previous post, I not only calmed her down but got to keep my figs as well. That's the alternative I was talking about. I just couldn't think of it when I first asked here.

Emperor Chico
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
I agree.When I first read the article , I kind of skimmed so I thought they sold actual ROTS toys.I even told my dad that!:frus: I think this really sucks.Good thing I have all the sneak preiview figures.:)

lobot72
03-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I went to a few K-marts in Elgin an Schamburg and there were people there buying ROTS figs. By the time I got back to the toy department they were all gone. I found out from a friend of mine who works at a K-Mart in Elgin the manager had the cashiers ring up the ROTS figs as regular Star Wars figures, Apparently he knew they weren't suppose to sell them until April but he said it was stupid to hold them in back and have all these collectors coming in asking for them. The last time they held figures back until they were suppose to be released people had bought there figures elsewhere and they were stuck with them for months and had to put them on sale. As for the security threats most k-marts have cut back their "loss-prevention" personel down to 1 person per store in a feeble attempt to cut operating cost.

cerius
03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
I know this is old news but I wanted to post that I just got shut out at KMart too. I was holding all the Force Battlers (Ani, Obi, Darth, Grievous) and the Boga and Barc vehicles. They rang up "Before Sale Date" and the manager wouldn't sell them. I did get the Ani Obi and Grievous Unleashed though so it wasn't a total waste.

dindae
03-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I think this whole situation is dumb. Why on earth would you threaten security on anyone unless they got belligerent? Second from most of the stories I read its seems that people knew what was going on so why hadn't someone gone back and pulled the items from the shelves? On the other hand I don't understand all of the shock I see people posting here. We all know the release date why is there suddenly a suprise when a retailer says oops I can't sell that? And KH first you don't get refused, then you report the store, then you go back and get upset because they won't sell you stuff when your complaint is probably the reason they had to stop selling! I don't understand the line of thinking there. Now I do understand that selling all of the new line dragging it up to the cashier just to be denied the sale is cruel torture but I know that everyone will have the opportunity to get these later. Maybe I'm too laid back to get as worked up over this.

stillakid
03-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm kinda with you. I'm still trying to grasp this idea that people are threatened merely because they are trying to buy something that is on the floor. I gotta believe that some of the story is missing here. No manager of anything is going to just tell somebody to leave the store or call security without provocation. I wasn't there, but I'm willing to bet that the customers in question undoubtedly raised their voices or otherwise became belligerent. The frustration and anger is understandable, but a store isn't just going to toss you out and threaten you just for trying to buy merchandise.

So, c'mon. Come clean, you guys. What EXACTLY happened to cause security to be called? :sur:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-14-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm kinda with you. I'm still trying to grasp this idea that people are threatened merely because they are trying to buy something that is on the floor. I gotta believe that some of the story is missing here. No manager of anything is going to just tell somebody to leave the store or call security without provocation. I wasn't there, but I'm willing to bet that the customers in question undoubtedly raised their voices or otherwise became belligerent. The frustration and anger is understandable, but a store isn't just going to toss you out and threaten you just for trying to buy merchandise.

So, c'mon. Come clean, you guys. What EXACTLY happened to cause security to be called? :sur:
I bet they took out a Darth Vader color-change lightsaber and started beating the cahsiers with it. :D

Joshkj
03-14-2005, 07:07 PM
K-Mart sucks.

-Blue Snag

You really sumed it up

I dont and never will go to K-mart, ive never liked it anyways, its like the cheep knock off of WM

Darth Vader 2005
03-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Just thought I would reply and say I also found some Revenge Of The Sith

Figures at K-Mart this weekend and was able to buy them with no problem.I found C-3PO,Royal Guard,Mon Momtha,R2-D2,Several Jedi figures and the
Anakin Changes To Darth Vader figure with complete attachable armor.I also saw a few of the figures in select Wal-Mart sores.
I also thought these wasn`t supposed to be sold until April 2,but somebody jumped the gun.:alien:

Turbowars
03-14-2005, 08:34 PM
its like the cheap knock off of WM and that's not saying much at all. WM is a knock off of Target. I think K-Mart should change their name to Ghetto-Mart.

Fluke Skywalker
03-14-2005, 11:56 PM
K-Mart should have been grateful that people are still willing to step foot into their stores. With so many Targets, Meijer and Super Walmarts around, I rarely even bother with K-Mart on my toy runs anymore. They never have anything new and it's just depressing in there. :dis:

2-1B
03-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Unless people are getting their arms pulled out of their sockets, there is no reason to call security.

-------------------------

Good luck Sal, I'm glad everything worked out well enough for you. :)

wicket23
03-15-2005, 07:44 PM
I asked all star wars lovers not to shop at K-Mart. I was at one and found figures, it came up couldn't sell. A manager came up and was completely rude and arrogant to me. I realized that it said they couldn't sell but he made me feel like I was a criminal when I was trying to BUY them. Besides their prices are much higher than Walmart. Don't support these rude people that are trying to overcharge!
Avoid K-Mart!!!!

jedi master sal
03-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks Caesar.

I agree that the whole mistreatment by the managers was very unprofessional.

IMHO, I think this whole this was a ploy by KMart to get the jump on Wal*Mart and Target. (which from a business perspective was good)

It's just the final execution of that ploy that was done completely wrong.

Here's my theory about the whole thing:

Someone from KMart corporate gets the notion to presell the ROTS toys, knowing that Target and Wal*Mart have done so in small quantities (so as either not to be noticed by Hasbro or that Hasbro can turn a blind eye to-due to the small quantities)

The orders are as follows. Each store is to put out either their entire stock of ROTS stuff or enough to fill roughly 6-8 ft of shelf space. After 2 days any remaining stock is not to be sold.Thereby giving the illusion that it was a mistake and they pulled the stock quickly.

Now here's the hard part to swallow but look at it realistically and it's not to hard to believe:
Once the stock is tagged for no sale, managers are to pull the stock and hold it until the official date. Any customers who get to the stock before it can be pulled are to be told they can't by the product. The insistence of the manager on not selling and the subsequent possibility of calling security is a way to shut down the collector quick. (None of us really wants to get in triouble for this stuff-even though it's a ludicris notion on KMart's behalf)

Now you will notice I said collector, because KMart was smart enough to realize that the vast majority of buyers for the early sale of ROST toys would be collectors. he word would spread like wild fire and we would come in and buy into the hundreds of dollars. Sure there may be the scant few parents, but in reality they aren't looking for toys for a movie that isn't even out yet for 2 more months.

Shutting down the collector, also gives the illusion that they realize they made a grievous (couldn't help use the word) error.

They full well kne wthe whole time that we would come and buy the overpriced stuff just to get it first. They also knew that in doing so Wal*Mart and Target would be unprepared and they get the jump.

Were Wal*Mart and Target to bite on this and also release the ROTS stuff, KMart would virtually be protected in that other stores besides themselves broke street.

Since Neither Wal*Mart of Target bit, KMarts plan was still relatively intact in that they still got the majority of first sales.

To put this in a personal perspective, I bought almost $500 worth of stuff from KMart, then later that day went over to Wal*Mart and got about another $100. Had WM released first I would most certainly have gone there instead to save cash.

KMart knows there's enough of us who will pay ( and can afford to pay) the higher prices.

Who knows, they may just lower the prices come 4/2 to be competitive with W*M and "T".

Also, in releasing the toys early, they will be able to order more stock much quicker thereby possibly getting in newer case assortments than their competitors. Again, a smart move. Even if they are the same case assortments, they end up being on par with the rest, so it doesn't really set them back.

All in all this was a good thing for KMart, but the bad PR they are getting from hassling collectors will hurt in the long run.

Thing is, after we go through Wal*Mart, Target and TRU, if we don't find the stuff we want, many will go to KMart anyway, on the off chance of finding it. They will pay the extra change and be happy they don't have to search.

It's all about business.

So that's me theory. Wrong or not, it's worth at least a moment of thought.

-Sal

ronhudy
03-15-2005, 08:01 PM
I seriously doubt it was a marketing ploy by K-mart...what percentage of their bottom line do SW toys account for? Not much. Nope....I'm gonna stick with the "pure stupidity" argument. I mean, have you been in a K-mart lately? It's like a moron convention in there!

Ric Olie
03-15-2005, 09:02 PM
I had a little theory that Hasbro was behind it all. This was simply a way to get rid of some of the peg warmers early or figures that could become peg warmers. They knew that if they put out some figures early that the collectors would buy all of them thus getting rid of possible peg warmers and clearing some excess inventory.

Clonetrooper1131
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM

Crap!

or

-Sal

I can some what identify with your dilemma. To be honest, I can say I wouldn't sell them on Ebay. I was lucky enough to find some figures early, also Obi's Jedi Starfighter. I'm keeping these for myself, and I can't wait until the 4/2 to find everything else.

I'm married and have a daughter. But my wife knows how much I love Star Wars, that's why I was a little surprised when she was at Walmart today looking for figures.

I guess if you really wanted to turn a profit, you could. But just think in or around 19 days all the toys will be out anyways.

It's your call..

Kidhuman
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
I had a little theory that Hasbro was behind it all. This was simply a way to get rid of some of the peg warmers early or figures that could become peg warmers. They knew that if they put out some figures early that the collectors would buy all of them thus getting rid of possible peg warmers and clearing some excess inventory.

The only thing with that is if they had 20 cases and sold 4 of em, that leaves 16 cases if stuff topegwarm. The people who buy early, arent buying again.

Sal that theory worked, but I say whoever bought anything from Kmart already like myself, report them to Hasbro for this stunt

Trip J
03-16-2005, 08:54 AM
I hit K-Mart on my way home last night, and they too had pegs FULL of RotS stuff. It looked like pretty much all of collections one and two. I loaded up a cart with everything I needed and headed to the register.

I, too, was denied. They wouldn’t scan. I asked to see the manager, who gave me the same song and dance about someone screwing up and putting them out before the street date. I had about 40 figures, and I asked him if he really didn’t want to take my money (I kept calm, I was trying to get the figures, not tick the guy off). He told me that the sanctions that they would face if it was found out would far surpass the couple of hundred bucks I wanted to spend.

I asked if I could lay them away, but he told me that without a number in the computer to scan, he couldn’t even do that.

But then he told me that since I’d been understanding about it, and because he too was a fan, that he’d hold the figs for me. I filled out a layaway slip, they went in back and grabbed a huge box, and he promised to stash the box under his desk until the 2nd. All I have to do is ask for him that day and I’m set.

So, the bad news is that I couldn’t get the figs, like many of you, but the good news is that I can sleep in on that Saturday, go to K-mart, and get all of the stuff I wanted without having to wait in line or fight through hordes of people to get it.

I DID manage to snare the Anakin and Obi-Wan Unleashed figures, though. I haven't previously collected that line (with the exception of Leia), but they looked pretty neat, and at least I didn't come away empty-handed.

dindae
03-16-2005, 08:58 AM
While I can see your theory Sal I would imagine that the whole calling security idea was a local thing. Another factor and this applies to a lot of areas is that Lucas/Hasbro has no more threats in his bag. They can no longer say "If you don't follow our 20 page release contract to the letter then I'll cut you off for the next movie". This is it pretty soon Hasbro will be in the position of every other toy line with no tie-in clawing to keep their shelf space. So maybe Kmart took some shady pointers from their friend Martha Stewart and tested the waters releasing the stuff early. I'm sure a lot of vendors will be a little more careless with their promo stuff then in the past because big daddy Lucas doesn't have Episode VII is his pocket.

Kidhuman
03-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Bought an ROTS Legodroid fighter today at Kmart. They also had 2 other sets. Apparently they didnt catch these, unless they dont have a date on them

Val Da Car
03-18-2005, 11:50 PM
well this is interesting.....I will have to check the scummy Kmarts both within driving distance to me to see if they have any ROTS stuff.....

but remember Kmart bought Sears.....so are they now

S-Mart?

my still have a few of the POTC wave for the extra $1 each but why not.

I will do a drive by to determine if they have it but this is the same stores that have Cantina Sets 1 & 2.

bobafrett
03-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Be sure to look around, because if they are anything like the K-Farts in my area, the toy isles make little to no sense, and are half a** stocked, and I find stuff all over strewn about. I admit Wal-Mart isn't much better, but we do at least have a toy department. K-Marts looks like an after thought, like "Oh, we have three isles, lets throw some toys in there".

Val Da Car
03-19-2005, 12:24 AM
But they keep the Martha Stewart stuff in stock All the Time!!!

JetsAndHeels
03-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Earlier today I went to KMart and found the ROTS Unleashed figs. I decided to try my luck and get the Grevious. I scanned it at one of the price checkers and it scanned fine......when I got to the register they could not sell it to me. I even spoke to the manager about it, aggressively trying to buy it, but no luck. He apologized and said that they would be taken off the shelves immediately.

garbognar
03-20-2005, 04:16 PM
My K-Mart put out the Unleashed and the Deluxe figs. I got the Anakin and Obi wan unleashed with no hassle, but when the scanned the deluxe Obi Wan, the DO NOT SELL thing popped up. Fortunately, the cashier spoke very little english and was really confused and called the toy dept. manager. She came over and asked if I picked it up from the pegs listed for the sneek preview, and I said I had, and she voided the sale and manually typed it in and charged me 7 bucks for the Deluxe figure! I am only mad that someone else beat me to the rest of the line. Although I am still looking forward to Apr.2 it is really nice to take some of the pressure off of getting everything some of it early.

PoweredConvoy
03-21-2005, 08:12 PM
I work at Walmart and they had several of the figures up on the pegs about two weeks ago. I bought four. The following week they were still there, and then the week after they were gone. I actually saw the new Obi-Wan lightsaber in the Ad office so no one could buy it (the others must have been purchased). When I talked to the toy guy this past weekend that was there when I bought my first figures as we talked about the figs for a while I said "Boy, that Star Wars stuff sold fast aye?" Kind of playing dumb. Then he said "Yeah. I don't know why they had me pull all that stuff. We've been selling it since February!" They still have those large stylized figures out, whatever they're called.

The K-Mart less than a mile away had even more figures out 2 weeks ago. But they put all them back except the Unleashed stuff.

Randy

MusicalJedi
03-23-2005, 11:29 AM
I have officially been turned away by the Big K twice in two days. Yesterday, I found Obi Wan #1, Anakin #2, Grievious' Bodyguard, Grievous 4 arm attack, Bail Organa, Aayla, Emperor, Ki-Adi, and a few others.....I grabbed a handful, and scurried up to the register. The woman in front of me had 2 of the non-electronic lightsabers with OTC packaging. They would not ring up! These were not ROTS items mind you, but lightsaber hilts that have been availabe for months. The manager called her over to his station to discuss, and I tried my luck with my haul. No dice! Unfortunately, I had to get to work, but I have a feeling the woman was going to talk her way into getting the sabers, which would have been my golden opportunity. Afterall, if they sold to her, they'd have to sell to me.

Alas, I stopped at the same store today. Mind you, I let the manager know that I pulled the figures from the pegs on yesterday, so he didn't think I was going through the backroom or anything. He said he would have someone remove the merchandise immediately. What do I find today? Obi-Wan Jedi Kick and the first Anakin, waiting for me. They also had several of the LEGO sets and the Galactic Heroes as well. I tried my luck with Obi-Wan and Anakin, and again ,no dice.

Only a little over a week left, but I cannot wait. They looked really cool. And, K-Mart will not be getting any of my money once these babies are officially released.

Good luck and MTFBWY

Sith Lord 0498
03-23-2005, 09:20 PM
While I said in the second posting that I will not be spending any money on ROTS merchandise at K-Mart b/c of their attitude, I couldn't resist going to my local K-Mart just to see if they put anything out and what kind of hassle I'd get. Sure enough, they had a couple LEGO sets, an Obi-Wan Starfighter, and a Grievous wheel bike.

I grabbed the Grievous bike and used the price scanner. $24.99. No problem yet. I went up to the only open register (we got nailed with a sudden, unexpected snowstorm today) and put it on the counter. The cashier scanned it...

..."$26.49 please."

No alarms. No Gestapo-like managers. Nothing. My theory: it shares the same "file" in the register as the Anakin Starfighter (Assault Vehicles assortment) and that ship is allowed on the shelf.

So I bought it happily...

...and on the morning of April 2, I'll be taking the one I buy at WM for $19.99 back to K-Mart with my receipt from K-Mart and getting my almost $27 back!! :D

They're still not going to keep my money, and they're certainly not going to charge me $5.00 more than everywhere else.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :p :p :p :p

BlueSnags
03-24-2005, 09:46 AM
So I bought it happily...

...and on the morning of April 2, I'll be taking the one I buy at WM for $19.99 back to K-Mart with my receipt from K-Mart and getting my almost $27 back!! :D

Right on - I'm doing the same thing. What does K-Mart expect when they overcharge everything by $2-$5 a toy?

Does anyone know if K-Mart will price match if you show them an ad/receipt from Wal-Mart? I'd rather just go get a price adjustment, rather than return everything, but I'll do what I have to do come April 2.

-Blue Snaggy

Kidhuman
03-24-2005, 09:48 AM
As far as I know Kmart does not price match. Only WM does it.

BlueSnags
03-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Well, I'll be returning everything I find at Wal-mart to K-Mart after 4/2 - they are charging $7.57 a figure, not to mention overcharging on small vehicles like the Boga and BARC Speeder ($18.99 each). No wonder K-Mart is in the shape it's in - they suck.

Ric Olie
03-25-2005, 12:52 AM
I actually have a nice story from K-Mart. Today my family went on one of our rare shopping trips to Lufkin, Tx and I serched for the lowest price I could get on the Clone Wars dvd. Walmart (not in Lufkin) had it for 14.44, Target 14.99, FYE in the mall for 19.99. I read online that Best Buy had it for 12.99. When I got there they were all sold out. :( K-Mart was out last stop on the trip and I took a Best Buy ad with the 12.99 price hoping they would have a meet our beat policy. They had three dvds left at 14.99 each. I asked the electronic manager if they have such a policy and he said he thought so and to take it to the service desk to see. They made a quick call to another manager and the lady told me that they don't have a meet or beat policy but they would go ahead and give it to me for 12.99.

Wasn't that nice. The store had some RotS legos, Obi-Wan and the Boga and the BARC speederbike but they weren't in my budget so I passed on them.

bobafrett
03-30-2005, 12:25 AM
I know this thread is about K-Mart, but I went into a Target store this evening and found the unleashed figures, Anikin, Obi-wan, and Gen Grevious. I also found the 3 3/4 inch Jedi assortment. I went to the register expecting to be denied my finds, but instead was able to purchase every last one I had! I even carried the small figures up in a box that said "do not sell until 4/02".

I originally went to see if there were any Lava Vaders out to purchase. :D

Some stores just don't get the message. :classic:

dindae
03-30-2005, 09:01 AM
I even carried the small figures up in a box that said "do not sell until 4/02".
Now that's funny.

mm74md
03-30-2005, 09:40 AM
I found a bunch of ROTS stuff on the shelves/pegs this morning in Hagerstown, MD Kmart. The rang up in the price scanner, but was denied at the register. The manager said he'd hold them for me until Saturday (nice gesture), but I told him I'll take my money to TRU or Wal Mart.

It's a shame. I really like Kmart for their kids clothes & household stuff much better than Wal Mart and they are cheaper in that respect than Target. But they are just so poorly run I can't take it sometimes!