PDA

View Full Version : Are we still on that 4/2 kick, Hasbro?

Darth Alex
03-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Hey, whoever from Hasbro is reading this...
Surely by now you know about the Kmart boo-yah beatdown of SW fans this weekend. I was one of the lucky ones who got out of 3/12 with a case of Collection 1, but I would've been ARRESTED if someone tried to deny my purchase.
Jokes aside, isn't this all a ...bit...much.
I know as a company you have the build up popping on 4/2 and 4/3. I even heard a manager at my local(NE PA) TRU refer to that weekend as only a "soft" launch for the toys.
Since every other toy line on earth comes out when it hits shelves regardless of how far in advance of a movie it is, hozabout giving both of us a break and lightening up on that NO SALES before 4/2 stance.
Boxes are gonna pile up in the back of stock rooms...with as many people are upset at this past weekend and with as many people chompin at the bit to by yer ROTS line, why don't ya just let em out?
Is it too much to ask? Sure, getting there is half the fun, but at this point I personally don't see any harm letting the line loose....:neutral:

-"the waiting is the hardest part"
T. Petty

JediTricks
03-13-2005, 11:49 PM
I don't defend Hasbro often, but blame Lucas, it's his fault entirely. Lego and all the other licensees have the exact same shelf-date restriction, it's contractual.

sith_killer_99
03-14-2005, 12:01 PM
I don't defend Hasbro often, but blame Lucas, it's his fault entirely. Lego and all the other licensees have the exact same shelf-date restriction, it's contractual.

Whew, I hope I don't contract it! ;)

Darth Alex
03-14-2005, 01:47 PM

Good point.

So, how bout it George? We literally will CHUCK MONEY at the register if me find new stuff today, so do you want to lift the trade blockade?

And JediTricks, I have no problem per se with Hasbro. They probably can't do anything to move up the release date with the fact that a lot of the 4/2 toys
are still in transit.
I just think that if Sith Lord 0498, me, Brotha James, and others can go to some places in PA and buy the new stuff, everyone should be able to get in on the action, especially if Kmart for instance has the stuff on the shelves.
As far as ethical dilemnas go, it's far greater offense to treat people the way Kmart staff are over the leaks than buying the new stuff as it's in human nature to.
I'm still gonna go out on 4/2...it'll still be great and fun. It's cool to get a taste now. But Kmart's denial is lousy in today's retail/economic climate.
One could be hardcore and say we're all wrong for buying the goods early, but these are just toys. Nothing more about the movie is spolied with their purchase over what can be read on the internet and again, if soemthing is out on shelves, oh well, one should be able to buy it!

JediTricks
03-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Lucas is a bit of a control freak about these things, but maybe he has a good reason. (I ain't betting on it though ;))

The way Kmart is dealing with this situation is attrocious, either they have staff so poorly trained that they can't read a release date and abide it, or they have so little storage space that they would rather make customers miserable than just hide the stuff.

At least this will be the last time we have to worry about it. :p

Turbowars
03-15-2005, 07:28 PM
The way Kmart is dealing with this situation is attrocious, either they have staff so poorly trained that they can't read a release date and abide it, I don't think anyone that works at Ghetto-Mart in LA can speak English let alone read it.

JediTricks
03-16-2005, 02:23 AM
That's not fair, all Kmart employees seem a little dim no matter where you live. ;) 3rd & Fairfax, Tujunga, or even Arizona, Kmart is always like the "special in a little-yellow-schoolbus way" cousin in the discount department store chain family. I hear WM is now stock-blocking ROTS toys as well though, not that I ever thought highly of them either. ;)

Darth Alex
03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
This is ridiculous. I'm not sure I really mind at this point if some stuff trickles out. And, Jedi Tricks, I like what you said about this being the last time for this sort of thing. Although, Heaven knows, if George builds up the TV show or forbid makes 7-8-9 like supershadow keeps proclaiming, then maybe we can all look forward to the same thing in 2 years, 7 years, whatever, when Kmart/Sears merges with CVS and a company to be named later...

I went to my local WB PA Target today and bought 2 of the Galactic Heroes for ROTS and traded em to Sith Lord 0498. The Obi and Ani Sabers at the WB PA Walmart won't ring up even though they are STILL on the shelves.
If stores sold what they're holding in the back rooms this weekend and next, I bet they still wouldn't put a huge dent in MM. Don't geta me wronga, I can wait 2 and a half weeks, Lord knows I've waited longer for more life-impacting things, but to just have empty shelves for the next 2 and a half weeks is just silly...it doesn't make me want the toys anymore and stores just lose sales opportunities...if they care...

mtriv73
03-20-2005, 11:35 PM
What I don't understand is why did they set the street date for the toys as 4/2/05 when the movie won't be out for more than another month? Is this some arbitrary day they pulled out of their hat? I'm glad they're releasing everything across the board on the same day (this should give us a little advantage over the scalpers), but if the stores are ready (i.e. stocked with product) then release it and let us buy it. I'll probably spend $200 on clone figures alone this year (if they're in the stores and I can find them) and every day the product is not on the shelves is another day Hasbro isn't getting any money from me.

Slicker
03-21-2005, 03:43 AM
I'm sure the whole building up everyone's expectations thing plays a big part in all of this. How badly do you want to see the movie after seeing the last trailer? I can't wait for it. After I bought the preview figs I wanted even more toys but they're gonna wait and tease until April 2nd in hopes that the wait will induce me to buy more product. Personally though with me they didn't have a problem but some people that are on the fence about the figs may venture into a store on April 2nd because he heard some people talking about the new SW toys and he may pick up a few.