PDA

View Full Version : Ewoks vs Gungans

Bossk77
03-14-2005, 12:30 AM
It is that simple, they are either the two most hated or loved speices in the star wars galaxy. The question is which is worse. Personally, i would pick ewoks and vote the gungans out of the galaxy, given the ewoks found a way to defeat a leigon of the emperors "on crack" best stormtroopers. Anything kin of Jar Jar should be shot just for the relation in my book. Out of the gene pool. :) I am just grateful for the lack of live action Gungan spinoffs like the Great Gungan Adventure, or game shows where Gungans take the place of Whammies.

Slicker
03-14-2005, 02:37 AM
I'd have to pick the Gungans to keep. All you have to do to defeat the damn Ewoks is dangle a tin can in front of them and tell them it's a God and they'll be wooed into submission.

2-1B
03-14-2005, 03:38 AM
For me, neither species is the most loved nor the most hated, but I do like them both. :)

Jar Jar was overdone by the end of TPM but I enjoy his presence on the whole and I thought Tarpals was fantastic. Boss Nass was alright. I thought it was appropriate to scale back Jar Jar for AOTC and found his role to be just perfect and I was DELIGHTED to see AOTC for the first time and catch the 2 Gungans off to the side in Theed.

I was a fan of the Ewoks since I was a kid so I hold no contempt toward them.

Oh yeah, and look at it this way, now thanks to the DVD BOTH species are in ROTJ. :crazed:

Kidhuman
03-14-2005, 09:03 AM
I say oust the Gungans, dont like there language

Rocketboy
03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Why fight when you can love?
I want a Gungwok!

General_Grievous
03-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Thus enters the scary image of Wicket and Jar Jar leaving for their honeymoon. After they come back, Gungwoks for everyone!!!

But seriously, I'd get rid of the Gungans. The only relatively cool one was Tarpals, but he's not enough to erase the childhood psychological damage done to me by Jar Jar and Boss Nass' incoherent blubbering.

Okay, maybe the "childhood psychological damage" statement was a little harsh, but I've never hated the Ewoks, and I'd pick them any day of the week over the Gungans.

Hell, the Ewoks in the "Ewoks" cartoon were cooler than the Gungans!!

stillakid
03-14-2005, 05:40 PM
It is that simple, they are either the two most hated or loved speices in the star wars galaxy. The question is which is worse.

I'm not sure. What are you serving them with?

Bossk77
03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Some frosty blue milk and your choice of bubo cakes or a side salad!lol

Bobby Fett
03-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I think the best resolution would be to pit the Ewoks against the Gungans in no holds barred combat - and hope it results in mutual annihilation.

JediTricks
03-14-2005, 09:56 PM
While Gungans would win in a battle between the 2 due to the facts that they have energy weapons, an organized military system, and probably are capable of dealing with rocks and sticks (unlike the EMPIRE!), I think the Gungans are the more annoying of the 2 species. The Ewoks were fairly ferocious little bastages once they got going, they had a "cute teddy bear" look but would then bear their teeth and act like the Viet Cong; their "cute" character, Wicket, was only mildly annoying. The Gungans were not fearable, they were kinda awkward and relatively personality-free, their tactics involved hurling things and hitting things; their "cute" character, Jar Jar, was very annoying and actively sabotaged their efforts by his bumbling.

Bossk77
03-14-2005, 11:12 PM
We could always have them colonize Neverland Ranch and keep Bubbles company.

2-1B
03-15-2005, 02:20 AM
The Gungans were not fearable, they were kinda awkward and relatively personality-free

I think that could have been helped by not giving us just Binks, Tarpals, and Nass. For instance when Tarpals says "yousa going to da bosses" maybe instead of just one boss talking, George could have spread out the conversation amongst the group instead of having the rest of them sit there like Palpatine's sycophants or even Rick McCallum.

With the Ewoks we did get Wicket as the main guy but so many other Ewoks got a moment onscreen to distinguish themselves from the rest.
(and they only made 8 figures when they could have done sooooo many more ;) )

Bossk77
03-15-2005, 11:35 PM
Speaking of odd genetics.... What the &^$* does a Bothan look like??????? ANd the Answer is NOT just like anyone else!!!! lol:ermm:

JediTricks
03-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Bothans look like yo momma! ;) (sorry, it just seemed to be the perfect place for a 'yo-mama' joke) In the EU, they look a little like walking possums crossed with Joe Camel (probably not the best description, I'm sure, but it's been a while), nothing like what I had pictured in my head when I read the Thrawn trilogy. The entries in SW.com aren't all that useful IMO.

Caesar, I think they also needed more unique individuals on the battlefield, scarred generals and stand-out secondary characters who acted a little more aggressively or something. As it is now, they're just generic roman legions.

Slicker
03-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Off topic but going with the last couple of posts here's a pic of a Bothan.

2-1B
03-16-2005, 03:06 AM
In my younger days when I picked up on Zahn's trilogy and they described that one Bothan character, I always pictured him as looking like that furry figure from the He-Man line, oh what was his name ? I can picture him clearly but don't recall the name.

Brown fur all over and I think he had some teeth showing.

mabudonicus
03-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Grizzlor, I think, Caesar, from Hordaks evil horde, in the company of Leech and Man-tenna

I would vote the Gungans out of existence, too....

I still can't get over how Boss Nass seems to have a completely different morphology, accent and everything compared to the others, and where the heck did JarJar learn to speak?? None of the others sounded anything like him (thank goodness)
That whole species didn't make any sense whatsoever.. at least the Ewoks agreed on "Yub Yub"

stillakid
03-16-2005, 12:07 PM

I wonder what those taste like.

El Chuxter
03-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Bothans have heads that look like smiley faces, and they wear no pants. :)

Sly Wiley lives!!

But seriously, when I read the description in Heir to the Empire, I immediately thought of a Talz. I guess I'm just nutty that way.

Oh, and Ewoks would whomp on some Gungan arse!

Bossk77
03-16-2005, 10:07 PM
I hate to say this but they look like the Lycans from Underworld. lol

JediTricks
03-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Grizzlor, I think, Caesar, from Hordaks evil horde, in the company of Leech and Man-tennaI thought he was going for the classic MOTU villain Beast-man, which isn't too far off (except for the color and the Conan the Barbarian body) as what I was picturing.

I still can't get over how Boss Nass seems to have a completely different morphology, accent and everything compared to the others, and where the heck did JarJar learn to speak?? None of the others sounded anything like him (thank goodness)
That whole species didn't make any sense whatsoever.. at least the Ewoks agreed on "Yub Yub"I never had a big problem with Boss Nass, and Tarpals talks pigdin like Jar Jar just not in a silly voice - that's the problem, Jar Jar is a Gungan nerd.

But seriously, when I read the description in Heir to the Empire, I immediately thought of a Talz. I guess I'm just nutty that way. No way, that's pretty much what I thought of as well, except with smaller heads and different faces than Muftak.

I hate to say this but they look like the Lycans from Underworld. lol I hate to say this but I have no idea what you're talking about. :D

Turambar
03-17-2005, 11:00 PM
I would vote the Gungans out of existence, too....

That whole species didn't make any sense whatsoever.. at least the Ewoks agreed on "Yub Yub"

I actually started a thread about Nass once. He has a very different anatomy from the rest of the species; the makeup of his head is entirely different with inset eyes (no stalks), no protruding beak.
But, at least the ewoks were real three demensional objects with real appearing head dresses and weapons set in a real appearing forest. The gungans spoke the -- AARRRGGGGHHH -- baby talk!!!! I hate that more every time I think about it. They looked fake as much as I tried to convince myself otherwise. And they acted in a cartoon setting.
Finally, at least Wicket didn't follow Luke around the entire movie saying, "meesa" this and "meesa" that, and occasionally stepping in "icky poo."

JediTricks
03-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Actually, Jar Jar said "icky goo", not "poo". That certainly doesn't make it better though. ;)

"Ooh, that smells stinkowiff!" Damn you LUCAS! I'll be old and senile and that one will still stick with me.

"How wude!"

2-1B
03-19-2005, 12:45 AM
It was indeed Grizzlor. :)

JediTricks
03-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Grizzlor: http://he-man.org/primary_sects/toys/html/collector_guides/motu_class/toy_pages/grizzlor.shtml

He's new to me, never seen him before.

Bossk77
03-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I thought he was going for the classic MOTU villain Beast-man, which isn't too far off (except for the color and the Conan the Barbarian body) as what I was picturing.

I never had a big problem with Boss Nass, and Tarpals talks pigdin like Jar Jar just not in a silly voice - that's the problem, Jar Jar is a Gungan nerd.

No way, that's pretty much what I thought of as well, except with smaller heads and different faces than Muftak.

I hate to say this but I have no idea what you're talking about. :D
The Lycans were the name for the Werewolf species in the Movie Underworld. Watch it... you'll see what i mean by the resemblence.

mabudonicus
03-21-2005, 07:57 AM
It was indeed Grizzlor.
The saddest part is I actually recalled that right of the top of my head, didn't even have to think about it....
And don't feel bad, JT, if you didn't remember the figure itself, there's nothing at all "distinguishing" about the "character"

Oddly, the pics of "bothans" look a whole lot like how the Yuzzum were described in "splinter of the mind's eye"

Turambar- sorry to hit a sore spot, you might want to put this thread on your "ignore" list... I can sympathize with you.. it's really, really unfortunate that I can do a PERFECT impression of Jar Jar and spontaneously break into it whenever I have a really stupid thought cross my mind...

But if you look at this "debate" in another way, maybe Lucas was honestly trying to makethe Ewoks "cooler" by making the idiotic Gungans more offensive than any puppet from the OT... it is almost the only way I can fathom their existence, these days

Bossk77
03-21-2005, 06:59 PM
I tell you friends that comic shot looks like Lycans from Underworld. Truth i say it is