PDA

View Full Version : Record players, 8-Tracks and 45s

stillakid
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
In the interest of getting some perspective on the generational span here, could you answer the following questions:

1) Have you ever in your life regularly used a turntable or 8 track player in the same way people use CDs today?

2) When was the last time you remember ever really using a record player and/or 8 track player as your primary source for music?

Slicker
03-14-2005, 04:21 PM
What are these 8-Tracks and 45's that you speak of?;)

I'm 23 and although I don't use records on a regular basis I listen to records for on month out of the year and that is Christmas time. My mother only owns Christmas albums from when she was first married and there's nothing, and I mean nothing, like listening to Christmas music on a turntable. So as I said it's not regular use but I do know what one is and I know how to operate one.:)

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Never had any experience with 8-track. I do remember the records. There was this one Huey Lewis and the News .45 my parents had, loved that one as a kid. The song on it was called Stuck With You, in case anyone wonders. I think it still has the K-Mart price tag on it.

Then there was the Born in the USA vinyl album. I loved that album and still do.

There was also that red album that had Snoopy on it and featured songs about Snoopy and the Red Baron. Another favorite.

I don't remember exact years, but this was all somewhere between 1984-1989, my 0-5 years. I wasn't an avid music fan or anything, but I do remember those records being some of the early music I liked to listen to.

General_Grievous
03-14-2005, 05:22 PM
No listening experience with 8 tracks, but my mom owns quite a few records that she still plays, like The Beatles' White Album and Abbey Road.

The cassette tape has also gone the way of the dinosaur. Maybe we should also include those?

Bobby Fett
03-14-2005, 08:41 PM
1) Have you ever in your life regularly used a turntable or 8 track player in the same way people use CDs today?

2) When was the last time you remember ever really using a record player and/or 8 track player as your primary source for music?

1a. yes
1b. no

2a. still do
2b. never have

JediTricks
03-14-2005, 09:48 PM
My mom bought a car in '93 that had an 8-track player (factory-installed, no less). We only found a couple of 8-tracks to use for it though, at that time the city had suddenly gone dry of old 8-tracks from all the Goodwill-type stores. Thankfully, the car - a '78 Ford Grenada with authentic landau top - exploded unexpectedly not long after so we didn't have to put up with that (some good samaritans warned her of the fire coming out from under the front end just in time).

I remember the bulk of my life growing up, my family used record players. I started to switch to tape around 6 or 7, CD around 12. My dad, my aunt, both grandmothers, and my step-father all have extensive active record collections.

Rocketboy
03-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I've only got a handful of records (including the Empire soundtrack and Christmas in the Stars), but sadly, no player to play them on.
And Ooh! I love that crackle a record makes as it plays.

Tonysmo
03-14-2005, 11:50 PM
My mother still has our original clock/8-track player in the kitchen.. no, were not that outdated, but the clock still works great so why not.? Ill bet anything if I were to go over there the Captain and Tenillie 8Track would still be sittin in it.. Love.. love will keep us together.. you know it. I used to jam while fryin up ol daddy burgers in the kitchen. Im pretty positive I could find the rest of the 8 tracks laying around her house.. grease.. the War of the worlds soundtrack.. elvis... Sha Na Na.. lol, wow, bringin back the memories..

I still have plenty of albums and 45s as well. I believe the 1st album I had was a YES album. lots of 80s stuff. bangles. men at work.. alice cooper live album ( jammin album ) gerry rafferty.. wow.. stuff is so old. I feel old now *shudder*

do I still use them. If Im at my moms. Ill pop the 8track on .. heck yeah. but I havent used my turn table in ages.. I need to.

Kidhuman
03-15-2005, 12:37 AM
I havent used a turntable or 8 track in many moons. i remember them vividly though. My dad even had a reel toreel player when Iwas a kid.

plasticfetish
03-15-2005, 02:04 AM
2) When was the last time you remember ever really using a record player and/or 8 track player as your primary source for music?For years, before the CD player came along, I owned and used a turntable. Up until about 3 years ago we still had one around to play records on, (we've plenty of old punk stuff to listen to.) It was one of those silver face '60s models (http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/200000/209600/209663/Products/9000565.jpg) where the speakers fold out and the table drops down from the middle. I stopped buying vinyl when I put the old record player in storage, though I think I'm gonna pick up a nice Techniques for the living room after I remodel it this spring/summer.

I've a bunch of DJ friends, so the vinyl thing is pretty much alive for me.

As for 8 tracks, I remember having them around as a kid, but they didn't get as much use as the record player. My dad had a reel-to-reel that he used back in the day. Other than that, it was all about cassettes for the cars and "on the go."

I have a few 8 track players in the house right now, a nice Panasonic plunger model (http://www.doyouremember.com/images/8track.jpg), and one of those Robot 2-XL (http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/mego2xl.jpg) things that played 8 tracks. Friends bring me the occasional weird cassette to put in them (Devo, Gary Numan, Sex Pistols) but most of the time they don't work because the tape's worn out.

What was the point of this question again?

mabudonicus
03-15-2005, 10:02 AM
We had tons of 8-tracks when I was young... I remember one in particular, it was a live recording (and I was too young to understand this at the time) and it freaked me out, cos the sound quality was SO POOR it sounded like some kind of howling winter storm whenever the audience cheered....
I, too, have lots of old Vinyl, haven't had a player in over 6 years though...
And I dragged my heels on the CD revolution for a looong time, I didn't even own a single CD until sometime in the late 90's
I still have lots of stuff on cassette only, mostly obscure heavy metal stuff that no longer exists, but I still buy used cassettes if I find one I like...

And as another thing, I remember watching lots of them 8-minute "condensed" films with projectors back before VCRs... I recall one birthday party I went to when I was maybe 5 or 6 where the "entertainment" consisted of a bunch of NFB type films, mostly weird art films and strange French short features... truly the "dark ages", in my experience at least (and seeing as I still recall it clearly, it obviously was rather traumatic)

Oh, and the first time I ever saw a film on a VCR, it was "Flash Gordon", the late 70's one... my uncle had paid LARGE for the machine and was especially keen on showing off the features, including the "remote", which had what must have been a 1/4" cable running from it to the VCR.... I thought it was amazing :D

CaptainSolo1138
03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Since Slicker already posted, I won't bore you with the same details. As far as what mabs said, one of my most vivid memories as a kid was drinking Kool-Aid in my Dad's La-Z-Boy while watching "Return of the Jedi" (taped off of HBO or some other premium channel) on our ultra-modern BetaMax VCR, complete with tethered remote. I remember stuff like that yet I have trouble with algebra. Go figure........

Joshkj
03-15-2005, 11:26 AM
I listen to all tat crrazy old stuff when im too lazy to go out and buy the CD's. My dad has one of those all in one things...its huge lol

sith_killer_99
03-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Well, I'm 30, and I remember clearly my mom's old 8 track and her record player. When I was little my sister (33) and I both had small record players. I remember when Thriller came out. My sister got the record and we used to listen to it all the time. As well as Prince's Purple Rain, Bob Seager, Super Tramp and an old classic Pac-Man Fever!

My mom's 8 track collection included Kenny Rogers, Charlie Daniels, Carly Simon (SP?) and a lot of other.

When I was in high school I bought all of Metallicas stuff on vinyl and still have the records to this day. In fact I have been looking for a turntable to play a few of the records I still have in my collection.

Funny story. One day my mom had boxed up a bunch of her old records and put them in the back seat of her car. Later she gave my cousins a ride home (they are all about 8-10 years younger than I am) anyway, they looked in the box and said "Aunt Nancy, what are these?"

"Records" my mom said.

"What are records?" was their reply, in all seriousness, they didn't know what they were!!!

"They're kinda like CD's only bigger" my mom said, as she shook her head.

Turbowars
03-15-2005, 09:10 PM
LOL memories. I'm just about 30 and I remember my mother playing records all the time. As for 8 tracks I had one in my room that I drug in from the garage when I was 10 or so. I only remember playing a Cheech Chong comic track, with Basketball Jones and 7 other tracks that I should not have been listening to. Oh and I loved listening to Foreigner.

Sing it guys, "Hot Blooded, check it and seeeeee, I have a fervor of a 103.....

LOL, I loved being a kid!!

JediTricks
03-15-2005, 11:20 PM
I remember when I was 7 or 8, my dad got an odd record player shaped like a VW Microbus which drove around the record with a needle out the bottom running in the groove. It sounded pretty sad and immediately scratched the hell out of something irreplaceable and was never heard from again. Gimmicky CD players never have that problem. ;) It does remind me of those old 110 film keychain cameras which were so small that they wrapped around the film, too bad 110 takes such cruddy photos 'cause that camera was a lot of fun.

LusiferSam
03-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I've never owned a record player, records, 45s or 8-tracks (ok I guess my sister and I had a couple of kids records like Sesame Street but those are long gone). I've never seen a real 8-track or 8-track player in person. In fact I didn't even know what their were until I was 14 (at which point I called them A-tracks).

My parents still have their record player and records. For its day my parents had a fairly nice system. I remember watch them set the record on the turn table, warm up the player, clean the lint and dirt off and finally set the needle down. At some point the motor (or what ever it is) broke. Two years ago when my parents replaced they home stereo system they also had the record player fixed. My dad used a couple of times after that, but rarely since (I think).

And my parents have some pretty good stuff on vinyl. Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zep IV, Sgt. Pepper, Frampton Comes Alive. Plus my mom has a the mother load (pun intended) of classical stuff.

I used cassette tapes right up until I got my iPod. The primary reasons: I had a lot of tapes and I didn't have a portable CD player. As kind of a weird teen rebellion thing, I liked tapes. They're cheaper than CDs, easy to copy, safe (when was the last time you heard about someone stealing tapes?), and the player goes easy on the batteries. I was buying or making tapes right up till my senior year of high school. The one down side is that tapes don't transfer to MP3 easily and I've had to buy a lot of CDs (or MP3s) to replace my tapes so I can have the music on my iPod.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2005, 05:42 PM
In the interest of getting some perspective on the generational span here, could you answer the following questions:

0) Yes, yes I could answer them.

1) Sure; hasn't everyone? ;) I still have three separate, working turntables, and a working 8 track (only I have no 8Ts to try it out in) player.

2) Primary source? Hmm... I would've been about 7 at the oldest. I switched to tapes, especially when I realized I could make my own. For my dad, 8 tracks were huge, as he had quite a collection of Kenny Rogers, ABBA, Charlie Daniels, Neil Diamond, et al. CDs didn't become a draw for me until about maybe 8 years ago.

Here's a new spin on your query, stillakid: What are the better qualities that records, tapes, or 8 tracks had (have?) over CDs?
One that I like is that on tapes, you could keep a song at a specific point in the song, or at least fast-forward to certain parts. And you just felt like you got more with a disk that was a big as a dinner plate, plus all the easy-to-read liner notes and photos.

bobafrett
03-27-2005, 08:28 PM

1) Have you ever in your life regularly used a turntable or 8 track player in the same way people use CDs today??

Yes, I remember my mom playing her John Denver, and Linda Ronstadt records every Saturday whil she cleaned the house, then my first music I purchased was a 45. I was trying to locate it, but can't find it. I did find a 45 of Guns N Roses "Sweet Child of Mine" with the B-side being "It's so easy". I also own a 45 of the "Super Bowl Shuffle" which if I remember correctly was made before the Bears won the Super bowl in 85. I think the first 45 was the Cars, can't remember which one. I still have all my records, though not many because I was on a limited budget, had to save for a car, plus Star Wars collecting.

8-tracks started to be phased out when I was still pretty young, but I remember my dad had a car with an 8 track player in it. 8 tracks were rather bulky and at times the first part of a song would be on one section, then it would stop, go to the next section, and play the rest of the song. I still remember going shopping at Sears, and they had a small section with these new items called CD's. We played on that they had on Demo, and it was pretty scrathed up, and skipped so bad, that we told each other we would never own a CD. Now we have really no choice, but the technology has improved tremendously, and now we have Ipods and whatnot to play this "music" on.

Probably my first apartment around 1985, but it was a record player. I think I finally parted with it several years ago, because I couldn't find a place that would sell new needles, you know that you stick in the record groove that produce the sounds. Then I bought my first CD, it was Fleetwood Macs "Rumors", because I loved the way the instruments sounded listening to them on the radio.

Thanks for asking stilla!

Fluke Skywalker
03-28-2005, 12:20 AM
I had a record player as a kid and used it mostly to play Star Wars records! (The story of Star Wars, the score et.) I was about 3 or 4 at the time. I would sit and watch the record go round and rouns and it would make me super dizzy :crazed: .

As far as 8 tracks, that was my parents department. I remember having one in the car and my parents had a portable one. For me growing up cassette tapes were thing. Nothing worse than sitting around waiting for a sturpid tape to rewind.

In high school, we had a radio station with a weak frequency and I was one of the DJs. We had a duel cassette deck and a SINGLE CD player. That was around '92 or so. The school ahs since sold the frequency to a local college :(