PDA

View Full Version : New Signature Limits

JediTricks
03-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Up until now, the only limitation on forums signatures has been a set number of characters, however, recently there have been a lot more signatures which have used oversized text or lots of line breaks to take up a lot of space. This situation now requires a new rule on signatures be implimented:

signatures will be limited to 5 lines total including spaces, and no signature may use an overly-large font size.

Different fonts have different sizes, but the general rule of thumb is that size 4 is the top limit.

Any signature breaking the rule may be deleted without warning.

2-1B
03-17-2005, 02:08 AM
How large is overly-large ?

Is size 3 too much ? (for reference, I'm using size 3 right now)

thanks.

bobafrett
03-17-2005, 07:56 AM
I always thought it was "I WENT to the danger zone." Caesar, but then I never really listened to too much Kenny Loggins.

(I know danger is being replaced by Dengar, the bounty hunter)

Slicker
03-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Sorry for messing up your sig limits with my witty bantar of an oversized sig guys.:cry::p

Seriously though JT is mine too big now I think it's at like 5 on the sizometer.

2-1B
03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Slick, you were the first person I thought of when I read this new edict. :D

There are others, too ;) , not so much on the size thing but sheer VOLUME of junk but I shan't mention names. :)

Bobafrett, it is indeed Highway, at least for the first part of the song.
Later on he says something about how he'll take a ride into the Danger Zone.

JediTricks
03-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Caesar, your sig is fine, I've talked to Steve and he wants me to set a specific max size, but I pointed out to him that different fonts have different relative sizes. In any case, I edited the announcement and rule to include clarification on that point.

Slicker, your current sig wasn't the fulcrum that caused this. It was a 5 before, but recently you had edited it to a 4 which is what it is now, and that's the maximum size. BTW, I edited it when this came down because of a spacing issue underneath, it had a bunch of extra codes like size 5 blank spaces and extra colors and fonts, so I cut them out.

bobafrett, the 5 lines rule includes spaces, as your sig was until I just edited it yours was 7 lines. I guess I'll add that to the announcement as well.

mastermatt24
03-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Ill just keep mine sort then.. I had a really funny one but I guess Ill have to save it. :ermm:

bobafrett
03-17-2005, 09:36 PM
bobafrett, the 5 lines rule includes spaces, as your sig was until I just edited it yours was 7 lines. I guess I'll add that to the announcement as well.

Thanks JT! Would rather have it corrected than deleted, it took me a long time to think up some of those gems! :D

BTW, I didn't know the spaces counted as lines, so thanks for the clarafication!

LTBasker
03-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Mine ok? I think it's like one line over 5...I may remove that Pilot Droid joke though, it wasn't real funny to begin with. :D

Edit: Nevermind, went ahead and removed it. It was time to put it out of it's misery for sure. *nod* :beard:

hango fett
03-18-2005, 09:53 AM
mine was huge too. i just wanted it like that because that part of thr trailer gets my blood flowing....
HF

JediTricks
03-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Basker, yours is currently 5 lines now, another line would have pushed it over. However, the first line wraps which is why it's that long, if you want to pack more in there, try to use the smallest font and size, and don't use bold.

ndjedi
03-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info! How do you get to use other Avitars instead of the ones already on this site? Is there a certain posting you have to have on here like over 100 or something?

Kidhuman
03-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Yes you need 101 posts to use a custom avatar.

stillakid
04-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Alright, who keeps f'ing around with my sig line? It has been within the 5 line limit for the last few days yet I have to keep reformatting it because somebody keeps squishing it into 4.

And now, one of my links has been REMOVED altogether. What gives? :confused: Yeah, it said "God Machine," but it wasn't religious by any stretch. I don't get it.

JediTricks
04-07-2005, 12:52 AM
It's always me enforcing this rule, you kept changing the 5 lines to 6 by adding that line break after "Dear Hasbro," after I kept taking it out, so after 2 attempts I changed gears and took out the "God Machine" link since on the title alone was breaking Rancor Pit rules, and it was the 6th line in your sig. I tried several times not to delete something from your sig, the rule says I can delete your entire sig if need be but I am trying to not have to do that.

And in case you're wondering, your sig WAS six lines as it appeared in the forums, that's where Steve told me to count them from.

stillakid
04-07-2005, 08:15 AM
It's always me enforcing this rule, you kept changing the 5 lines to 6 by adding that line break after "Dear Hasbro," after I kept taking it out, so after 2 attempts I changed gears and took out the "God Machine" link since on the title alone was breaking Rancor Pit rules, and it was the 6th line in your sig. I tried several times not to delete something from your sig, the rule says I can delete your entire sig if need be but I am trying to not have to do that.

And in case you're wondering, your sig WAS six lines as it appeared in the forums, that's where Steve told me to count them from.

Um, dude:

1. Dear Hasbro,
2. All-In-One Death Star & Star Destroyer!, Funeral Pyre Vader!, Torture Rack Han!
3. How many figures do you have?
4. COMPLETE ROTS Figure Checklist
5. God Machine!

That's the way it looks on my computer screen. Your screen must be squishing everything in if you see it differently, and I shouldn't be held responsible for that.

As far as the rules for the Rancor Pit go, I fail to see how line #5 and it's contents broke that rule.

This [Rancor Pit] is the ONLY section of the forums where Political and Religious discussions are allowed. Taking these issues into other forums via posting or signatures or avatars is not allowed.

All it says is "God Machine" with a link to an audio file which has nothing at all to do with religion. I certainly wasn't taking any "issue" out of the Pit and into the other forums. It's just the benign word "God." A quick search through the other forum threads revealed a multitude of inclusions by other users of the benign word "God," yet those were not removed. Here are just a few:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=385368&postcount=71
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=365098&postcount=7
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=359381&postcount=10
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=377435&postcount=27
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=25931&highlight=God
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=361026&postcount=8
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=204677&postcount=9

If you bothered to look at most of those, you'll see the CONTEXT has everything to do with meaning. I fail to see how my sig line constituted

Taking these issues into other forums via posting or signatures or avatars is not allowed.

Try it yourself. Just type "God" into the simple SEARCH feature and see for yourself how many times it pops up within non-Rancor Pit threads.
And unlike ALL of those others, mine wasn't referring to any kind of deity in the specific way that they did or as an expletive. So I'd like to see "God Machine" reinstated back on LINE #5 the way it was. Thank you. :)

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Look at your post, you list all 5 separate sections, but section 2 wraps around. That's exactly the problem right there, the line is too long and wraps down, and it's the entire link, it's still doing it. If you were using a smaller font, it *might* not, I dunno for sure but I suspect it would work, but you're not so the way Steve wants the rule that's how I have to enforce it. As for your God Machine link, I didn't take issue with it before, the only reason I pulled it this time was because it was the easiest target as it on the surface had the RP issue AND was at the bottom of your sig. If you can make the rest of your sig fit the forums to 4 lines with wrapping instead of 5, you can put it back.

Keep in mind though, I won't be making any more content changes to your sig, the next time it breaks this 5-line rule, I'm simply deleting the whole thing and you can figure out why on your own.

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Maybe stillakid's line 2 in his sig doesn't wrap around when he views it. Viewing it on my end it doesn't do a wrap around, it all fits on one line. I think that's why he is having an issue with trying to figure out how it breaks the rule.

That make any sense, not sure if I explained it without being confusing.

stillakid
04-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Look at your post, you list all 5 separate sections, but section 2 wraps around. That's exactly the problem right there, the line is too long and wraps down, and it's the entire link, it's still doing it. If you were using a smaller font, it *might* not, I dunno for sure but I suspect it would work, but you're not so the way Steve wants the rule that's how I have to enforce it.

No, see, it's your personal browser that is screwing this all up. My browser shows the lines just fine. If I grab hold of the right side of the browser window and drag it in, then yeah, suddenly all the formatting goes out the window. But on full expansion, there is no text wrapping. I could theoretically drag the window in so that my sig line is 50 lines long, too. Again, don't blame me because you aren't seeing it the right way.

As for your God Machine link, I didn't take issue with it before, the only reason I pulled it this time was because it was the easiest target as it on the surface had the RP issue AND was at the bottom of your sig. If you can make the rest of your sig fit the forums to 4 lines with wrapping instead of 5, you can put it back.

Keep in mind though, I won't be making any more content changes to your sig, the next time it breaks this 5-line rule, I'm simply deleting the whole thing and you can figure out why on your own.
Don't threaten me because your machine is screwing up. If you'd like us all to drop by your house so we can make sure we're within the rules as YOU see them, then great. Otherwise, fix it on your end and leave everything else alone. My monitors...all 5 of them I have at my home, show the sig line currently at 4 lines and God Machine makes it 5. Why your 1 is f'ing it up is your problem, but you're making it mine and it's annoying.

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 09:00 PM
No, it makes sense JBF, and I specifically checked with Steve on that issue of what browser/what screensize do I judge the line size from when we first made this rule, I made sure he was very specific - display size, amount of right gutter showing, browser, everything.

Stilla, it is not my browser, I am set up exactly the way I am supposed to be doing this, precisely how Steve has told me to check for these, so I am not having any sort of problem here, don't talk down to me like I'm a moron because there's no rule that says I have to take disrespectful crap from you or anybody. I am only supposed to apply this rule by how Steve wants it done, and that's how it is.

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 09:59 PM
That's what I figured, JT. Thought there had to be a standard "view" or whatever we want to call it in place to judge these signatures on.

See folks, JT's got an explanation for this whole misunderstanding. :)

stillakid
04-08-2005, 10:17 PM
No, it makes sense JBF, and I specifically checked with Steve on that issue of what browser/what screensize do I judge the line size from when we first made this rule, I made sure he was very specific - display size, amount of right gutter showing, browser, everything.

Stilla, it is not my browser, I am set up exactly the way I am supposed to be doing this, precisely how Steve has told me to check for these, so I am not having any sort of problem here, don't talk down to me like I'm a moron because there's no rule that says I have to take disrespectful crap from you or anybody. I am only supposed to apply this rule by how Steve wants it done, and that's how it is.

Who's talking down to who? I told you repeatedly that I had 5 lines of text and you continued to ignore that as if I was some kind of idiot that couldn't count. I'm telling you that not one of my computers I have ready access to currently show more than 4 lines of text. Unless your's is set up in Reader's Digest Can't See A Thing resolution, I still haven't heard what the difference is between what you are seeing and what my 5 computers are seeing.

So what is this mysterious secret standard we're going by here and explain how my 5 different screens all using expanded (standard) views with Internet Explorer somehow are "wrong" while this "standard" that only you can see is the right one? Without making a trip to your house everytime we want to check formatting, how is anyone else supposed to know if they've broken the rules until you've threatened them?

PS. I've added a screenshot so you can see how some of us view this site.

2-1B
04-08-2005, 11:07 PM
5 monitors in your house stillakid ? Wow. :D

stillakid
04-09-2005, 12:14 AM
5 monitors in your house stillakid ? Wow. :D

Yeah, I kinda had the same reaction once I started adding them up. My primary desktop has dual monitors running, I have an old laptop always running hooked up to the router, my newer laptop that I use for "remote" locations, and the kid's computer. It's kinda funny when I think about the old days when my dad brought home this "Commodore 64" thingie that we had no idea what to do with. I vaguely recall him mumbling something about recipes. Needless to say, it sat pretty idle. I can't imagine my childhood had it had a computer in it. Probably for the best. My brothers and I spend most of our time playing ball or whatever outside. The only "screen" we had got 3 network channels and PBS if the antennae was adjusted right. The day FOX started broadcasting during primetime on the indy station was like we landed on Mars.

But now, yeah, I've got 4 computers, 5 screens, two tvs, 120 channels, a TIVO, 2 DVD players, 2 VCRs, and a partridge in a pear tree. Okay, no partridge ... or pear tree... but I can find a picture of one if I need to. :D I'd add a link to it in my sig line, but apparently in some circles, that'd be a 6th line and the whole thing would be deleted. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
04-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Look, you aren't getting it stilla, you do not tell me how many lines there are, when I tell you there are 5 lines, that is it. This isn't about fitting our forums to suit your needs, this is about what the SirSteve feels is right for the forums as a group. It's my job to make sure the sigs fit within the parameters Steve wants, yours did not - perhaps you have your display set to 1280x720 or your Font Sizing set to smallest view or some other mysterious variables which allows you to see things however they suit your interests, I don't know what settings you use, but when I tell you several that your sig is more than 5 lines, it's because at the levels I am supposed to use to judge this, it is more than 5 lines and your part is to either comply with the rule or risk losing some or all of your signature - it's not up for discussion or bargaining. I don't need to consult you or anybody on this, I'm just supposed to do my job.

Average view, 800x600, "normal" font size, standard forums view with the right gutter showing.

stillakid
04-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Look, you aren't getting it stilla, you do not tell me how many lines there are, when I tell you there are 5 lines, that is it. This isn't about fitting our forums to suit your needs, this is about what the SirSteve feels is right for the forums as a group. It's my job to make sure the sigs fit within the parameters Steve wants, yours did not - perhaps you have your display set to 1280x720 or your Font Sizing set to smallest view or some other mysterious variables which allows you to see things however they suit your interests, I don't know what settings you use, but when I tell you several that your sig is more than 5 lines, it's because at the levels I am supposed to use to judge this, it is more than 5 lines and your part is to either comply with the rule or risk losing some or all of your signature - it's not up for discussion or bargaining. I don't need to consult you or anybody on this, I'm just supposed to do my job.

Average view, 800x600, "normal" font size, standard forums view with the right gutter showing.

Oh I get it alright...now. I'm at 1024x768. Calling 800x600 "normal" is pretty random and it might have helped had you said that right away instead of treating me like an idiot that didn't know how to count. As you can see from my attached screenshot, my sig line is still 4 lines and will be forever. I am well within compliance and always have been according to what has been disclosed and when it was disclosed. Perhaps another part of your "job" is to communicate effectively. This:

Up until now, the only limitation on forums signatures has been a set number of characters, however, recently there have been a lot more signatures which have used oversized text or lots of line breaks to take up a lot of space. This situation now requires a new rule on signatures be implimented:

signatures will be limited to 5 lines total including spaces, and no signature may use an overly-large font size.

Different fonts have different sizes, but the general rule of thumb is that size 4 is the top limit.

Any signature breaking the rule may be deleted without warning

...says nothing whatsoever about screen resolution. So from my vantage point, I still have 4 lines and am allowed one more. But with this:

...you've either amended the rules or finally communicated them. Either way, it's still not my fault.

JediTricks
04-09-2005, 04:36 PM
it might have helped had you said that right away instead of treating me like an idiot that didn't know how to countWell, you make it so easy by being as disrespectful as possible, thus making it very difficult for me to find any reason to give you special treatment. I told you it was 5 lines with wrapping, that's all you needed to know but you acted like you could bargain me into buying your reasoning, maybe you didn't see it that way, but the more you bicker and throw a fit about this, the less likely I am to bother giving you any further assistance beyond what my role here requires - which, again, doesn't require that I take abuse from the likes of you.

Turbowars
04-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Wow and I thought it was going to be me with this problem.:p Hell if it's so much of a problem, why don't you just remove the sig lines until the hype is over with.

Damn Kid 4 computers? What the hell do you need more that 1 for, ok more that 2? I just got a Broad band router from Vonage for a new phone line and it has 2 open ports for 2 other computers. Kind of made me think about getting another one for my wife so she could leave mine alone.;)

stillakid
04-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Well, you make it so easy by being as disrespectful as possible, thus making it very difficult for me to find any reason to give you special treatment. I told you it was 5 lines with wrapping, that's all you needed to know but you acted like you could bargain me into buying your reasoning, maybe you didn't see it that way, but the more you bicker and throw a fit about this, the less likely I am to bother giving you any further assistance beyond what my role here requires - which, again, doesn't require that I take abuse from the likes of you.

That sounds like a personal attack. Who do I report that to?

And no, I wasn't trying to "bargain" with you. Where you got that idea is beyond me. I was telling you exactly what I was looking at in front of my face and you refused to believe me. It's your own fault for thinking that I was trying to dodge the rules. And any "bickering" as you put it is a direct result of your own lack of accurate communication about this. Trying to lay the blame on me is really out of hand and I deserve nothing more or less than an apology for your indignant behavior in this matter.

I suppose had I uploaded a screenshot right away, you might have understood the true situation. But because I didn't and didn't fully explain the guidelines until much later, you assumed that I was just after "special treatment" and then proceeded to talk down and insult me.

mastermatt24
04-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Meeeeeeeeeeeow....... :dead: :speech: