PDA

View Full Version : Review: Assorted ROTS Figures

Sith Lord 0498
03-15-2005, 06:24 AM
I thought I'd post my brief reviews of the six ROTS basic figures I picked up yesterday. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

Anakin Skywalker (Lightsaber Attack) - ROTS #2

Likeness/Sculpt: 3.5/5 - Average. Inferior compared to AOTC Anakins. A real step back for the facial sculpt. Rest of the sculpt is terrific. Excellent work on the bionic glove.

Articulation: 3/5 - Average. While the joints are flimsy, it has better poseability than Saga-era figures burdened with action features.

Paint: 3.5/5 - Average. The scar is a little too pink for my tastes, and part of his costume has a strange plum color to it. Still, very clean paint job with no noticeable smudging.

Accessories: 4.5/5 - Almost excellent. The interchangeable hands are fantastic. Props to including a lightsaber hilt that can plug into the figure. Including a base would've given it a 5.

Action Feature: 4 - Above average. Same old quarter snap at a waist (a la Luke Bespin). Incorporated much better. Allows good poseability. Molded saber to hand prevents flying weapons.

Anakin Skywalker (Slashing Attack) - ROTS #28 (29?)

Likeness/Sculpt: 3.5 - Average. Same deal with the facial likeness. Rest of sculpt is on par with previous Anakin.

Articulation: 4 - Above average. The bionic arm has a tendency to pop out when trying to bend elbow joint. This would've killed the rating if it wasn't for the way I was able to pose the figure. While it'll probably harm the action feature since I sorta forced the arm back, I have the figure posed with its arm raised up and back with the wrist turned so that he's blocking Obi-Wan's saber behind his back.

Paint: 4 - Above average. The mascara look takes a little getting used to, but it doesn't look half bad in the end. No more plum-colored outfit.

Accessories: 2 - Only comes with a lightsaber and sleeveless cloak. Personally I think the cloak looks terrible, and they should've included a Mustafar base.

Action Feature: 3 - Average. Simply up-and-down hacking motion.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Kick) - ROTS #29 (#28?)

Likeness/Sculpt: 3.5 - Average. Doesn't really look like Ewan but not bad.

Articulation: 3 - Average. Lacking ball-jointed elbows. Little tricky to stand b/c of wobbly knee (Jedi kicking action).

Paint Deco: 4 - Above average. Great shading on the tunic. Simulates soot and dirt well w/o being intrusive to the aesthetics.

Accessories: 3 - Average. Includes a lightsaber and base. Haven't tried the base but it doesn't look that great. Amazing detail on saber hilt.

Action Feature: 2 - Below average. Kicking action looks strange. Makes for a wobbly leg that lends to difficulty in standing.

Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (Separatist Prisoner)

Likeness/Sculpt: 4 - Above average. Similar to Saga Palpatines. Head seems a tad narrow and stretched upward.

Articulation: 3 - Average. Ball jointed shoulders. Otherwise, identicial to AOTC Palps.

Paint: 5 - Excellent. Terrific application to face.

Accessories: 1 - Poor. The shackles do not fit at all.

Mon Mothma

Likeness/Sculpt: 3 - Average. Looks a little like Joan Cusack. Mine had some type of warping or something on the one cheek. Looks like that side of the face is numbed. Might be a production flaw.

Articulation: 2.5 - Below average. Doesn't really do much. Similar to AOTC Palps.

Paint: 3.5 - Average. Fiery red hair. Not much else besides a lot of white.

Accessories: 3 - Average. Headpiece fits good. Lame baton.

Padme Amidala

Likeness/Sculpt: 3 - Average. Poor likeness of Natalie. Very short figure. Pregnacy is subtly done.

Articulation: 4 - Above average. Ball jointed neck and shoulders. Good articulation in knees and wrists.

Paint: 3 - Average. Nuff said.

Accessories: 2.5 - Below average. Same old Naboo blaster. Nice Mustafar base.

There you have it. Sorry the end is rushed, but I have to rush to an early meeting at work. Like I said, PM or post any questions. I'll either PM back or post a follow-up. Later.

AmanaMatt
03-24-2005, 06:29 PM
I myself managed to score ROTS C-3P0 from my local comic store.....best one to date - articulation has six points (the other is the waist).

One thing to note on the Threepio, mine did have minor to noticeable chipping of the metallic paint.....be careful when buying this guy 04/02

JEDIpartner
03-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Which is why they won't add any extra articulation. The vac-metalisation chips too easily.