PDA

View Full Version : ROTS Soundtrack out 5/3, includes bonus DVD (merged)

Hellboy
03-15-2005, 09:07 PM
PR Newswire.com reports:

NEW YORK, March 15/PRNewswire.com/ -- On Tuesday, May 3, 2005, Sony Classical will release the original motion picture soundtrack of the last episode of the massively popular Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. It features a new score by five-time Oscar winner John Williams, who is also the composer and conductor of the score for each film in the six-chapter Star Wars saga, and an exclusive collector's DVD -- Star Wars: A Musical Journey -- an unprecedented bonus at no additional cost.
Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, written and directed by George Lucas is the most anticipated movie of the year and opens worldwide on Thursday, May 19, 2005.
Created especially to accompany the CD release, the thrilling 70-minute DVD features 16 brand-new music videos set to selections from all six of John Williams' unforgettable Star Wars film scores and has been designed around a timeline that will take the viewer chronologically through the entire saga. Each movement is introduced by actor Ian McDiarmid (who plays Senator Palpatine in the films) and features a spectacular montage of images, complete with excerpts of the original dialogue and sound effects, set to Williams' legendary music which has been newly remixed and remastered in 5.1 surround sound. Williams' principal theme for the new score, entitled "Battle of the Heroes," will be featured in a music video created by Lucasfilm.
The soundtrack packaging will also include liner notes from George Lucas plus an exclusive fold-out poster featuring a montage of images from the film.

Sounds like a nice package. The full write up is available at the link posted below.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-15-2005/0003198125&EDATE=

James Boba Fettfield
03-15-2005, 10:41 PM
I would definitely buy this soundtrack just for that bonus DVD. Great incentive for getting me, a new customer who never bought any previous SW soundtracks, to buy this.

JediTricks
03-16-2005, 12:18 AM
If this doesn't come off cheesy, and believe me I can see it swinging wildly either way hitting all points inbetween, this should be a really great addition to the disc and almost certainly guarantees that I'll buy it (I didn't end up buying the Ep 2 soundtrack).

I really would like to see more material from/about Williams and his role in SW some day, I am disappointed that Williams hasn't done a soundtrack-only commentary on any of the films.

Slicker
03-16-2005, 02:39 AM
This could turn out to be rather neat. I remember the music video for "Duel of the Fates" was pretty neat and believe it or not they actually played it on MTV back when they actually played music videos.

Hellboy
03-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah I'm looking forward to this too. It makes up for the somewhat disappointing Ep 2 soundtrack but as much as I want this I'm afraid of getting it before seeing the film due to song title spoilers.

2-1B
03-17-2005, 01:49 AM
I was sold on the disc before I even knew what the DVD would contain so this is pure bonus for me. :)

I bought the Star Wars Anthology 4disc set back in high school and a few years later I got each of the 2 disc Special Edition soundtracks and of course TPM and AOTC as well. I love the AOTC soundtrack, I listen to that one probably more than any other one but there are so many good cuts spread out over the 12 Star Wars CDs I own and hopefully this next one will be a nice addition.

JT, I thought about the possible quality of this DVD and I can see it going either way, too. On one hand I'd like it to be meaty and really get into Williams' approach to the music (and believe me I'm not trained musically so I might be easy to sell on this :D ) or on the other hand I could see it coming off as total fluff, just dumping a bunch of movie images against the soundtracks while Ian McDiarmid does a few intros.

Man, I wish this was being released on April 2nd with the rest of the loot ! :crazed:

Exhaust Port
03-17-2005, 05:14 PM
This looks to be real good. I'm sure we won't be let down by John Williams.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#lois

In other DVD news today, SonyBMG has announced that the soundtrack CD for Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith will street on 5/3. So why is this DVD news? Well, as it turns out, the CD will include a bonus DVD-Video disc that will feature a 70-minute presentation of some 16 newly-created music videos of composer John Williams' signature themes from all 6 Star Wars films (set to footage from the films) that takes viewers chronologically through the entire saga. Each will be introduced by actor Ian McDiarmid (Senator Palpatine) and will feature the music along with dialogue and sound effects excerpts in full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. The package will also include a booklet with liner notes by George Lucas and a poster. Frankly, I'm as excited to hear this music as I am to see the film.

Rocketboy
03-17-2005, 08:31 PM
There's also a thread on this in the Episode III (no spoilers) section.

evenflow
03-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Sounds awesome, i can't wait! The DVD makes this worth buying without a doubt.

Fluke Skywalker
03-20-2005, 03:48 AM
When the OT DVDs came out, I was really disappointed that they didn't create a 'Music video' ala the PT, a medely of sorts using music to and clips to tell the story of the OT saga. Well, looks like they had better plans in mind. I can't wait. I honsetly don't know how they can mess this up. We already know the movies and music are great. Also, looking at the track list, it looks like the actual CD will contain more music than the AOTC one, which left out some stuff from the movie.

James Boba Fettfield
04-26-2005, 06:19 AM
Got a review on the bonus DVD that comes with this. Don't worry, the review doesn't spoil anything.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_11/starwarsmusicaljourney.html

Hellboy
04-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Great review, now I really can't wait for this thing. Sounds like it should meet or exceed most fan's expectations.

I remember the first time I saw the THX WOW laserdisc, I was beyond imperessed and determined to one day add it to my collection. These were never put on sale and were used for store demos only so obtaining one was almost impossible. It took me over a year but I finally snagged one while managing a video store and still own it today but its been a while since I've watched it. I'm thrilled to hear this new DVD has adopted a similar editing style. Sounds like I'll have a new demo disc to work out the home theater system. :D

Rocketboy
04-26-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm just glad to see that it says the DVD doesn't really spoil anything for Sith.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Only because of the DVD I've been looking forward to this soundtrack. Since the craptacular EP2 release, I've been thinking that EP3's music might mirror it in terms of recycled music. I don't know how much that dvdfile reviewer is into SW music, but it does sound like we'll be getting plenty of good music. Only one more week to go before the release. Anyone hear of one of the stores doing an extra track exclusive like Target did for EP2?

Darkness Shroud
04-30-2005, 06:01 AM
I got my cd this morning. I have watched the dvd and its fantastic!! The music and movie clips are superb!! Especially the Episode III music and movie. Ian Mcdiarmid narrates the story of the Star Wars saga between the videos! This dvd reiteratted my love of the movies and the music right back to me. Im so looking forward to Episode III now. Off to listen to the soundtrack now!!:)

Fluke Skywalker
05-01-2005, 07:27 AM
^ Neat! I just downloaded the ROTS video off the official SW website, and it is indeed pretty cool. Lots of re-used trailer images but also many new shots.

I have listened to the entire soundtrack online and it's pretty excellent, but the videos are really what has me excited. Can't wait until Tuesday!

Pendo
05-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I got my cd this morning. I have watched the dvd and its fantastic!! The music and movie clips are superb!! Especially the Episode III music and movie. Ian Mcdiarmid narrates the story of the Star Wars saga between the videos! This dvd reiteratted my love of the movies and the music right back to me. Im so looking forward to Episode III now. Off to listen to the soundtrack now!!:)
Is the DVD something that Spoiler Free fans will want to avoid until after watching the movie?

PENDO!

Hellboy
05-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Is the DVD something that Spoiler Free fans will want to avoid until after watching the movie?

PENDO!

In the review Fettfield posted at the top of the page they had this to say.

Lucasfilm very considerately avoided revealing any Episode III spoilers in The Musical Journey, but the new film's included footage looks absolutely amazing. No trailer for the film is necessary; this is quite enough to increase the anticipation of any fan.

So I guess its safe. :D

Imperial Monarche
05-01-2005, 10:07 PM
If anybody can't find a way to listen to the soundtrack before it's released, this website here www.mp3search.ru and type in Revenge of the Sith, or John Williams and when the album title shows up, click on it and you can listen to samples of all the tracks. You have to register first, it's free too.

Darkness Shroud
05-02-2005, 12:01 PM

PENDO!

I think if you have seen the trailer and want to watch this dvd then you are safe mate. But whats 18 more days........ :)

El Chuxter
05-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Okay, serious help needed here!

Both Target and Wal-Mart are claiming they have exclusive downloads if you buy the ROTS CD there. So, does anyone know what the tracks are (or if they're possibly the same thing)?

Any hep here'd be hot.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Are they downloads of tracks or just screensavers?

2-1B
05-03-2005, 04:51 AM
I bought mine at Wal-Mart a few hours ago and it comes with a code for an exclusive download of an interview with Johnny Dubs.

Sorry, I don't have Target's info . . . I just checked their website and they still don't have detailed product info. :confused:

El Chuxter
05-03-2005, 12:06 PM
A buddy of mine cleared it up: WM's exclusive download is an interview, Target's exclusive is the "radio edit" of "Battle of the Heroes." Neither a true-must have, so I'll get it from whichever store's cheaper. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-03-2005, 06:46 PM
...Target's exclusive is the "radio edit" of "Battle of the Heroes." :)

What the hell does that mean? They editing out those explicit lyrics that John Williams keeps using? ;)

Rocketboy
05-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Target has the single version, with the dialogue and sound effects.

Imperial Monarche
05-03-2005, 10:08 PM
I got mine this morning on my way to college. I will have to say that, after the OT, this is definitely my favorite of the PT soundtracks. It had very original music with a darker tone like ESB (my favorite). I love the tracks "Palpatine Teaching", "Battle of the Heros", "Anakin and Obi-Wan", "Grevious Speaks With Lord Sideous", "The Birth of the Twins..." and "A New Hope and End Titles". Great sndtk.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Grabbed the last CD from Target this AM. They have it for $12 while at the Evil Empire it's going for $14. The interview on the WM-sold disc is of John Williams--it says so on a sticker on the cover. With the DVD thrown in, it's a pretty good deal for the money.

I wonder if this disc, like the other two prequel discs, have the tracks out of order from the movie sequence.

Hellboy
05-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Watched the DVD last night and thought it was really well done. I actually enjoyed the prequel chapters more than the OT. The conceptual art pictures that were shown in the OT sections, though cool in their own right, felt a bit out of place IMO. They just didn't quite fit the flow of the rest of the DVD and they probably would've been cooler if they were in a chapter by themselves rather than incorporated between the movie scenes.

The first 3 or 4 chapters are a great way to do a quick re-cap of the first two films before seeing ROTS. Most of us die hard SW fans will most likely just watch the films in their entirety but for those who are less committed (like the vast majority of my friends and my family) this is a great way to get prepared and excited to see the final chapter in the SW saga.

Sith Lord 0498
05-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I wonder if this disc, like the other two prequel discs, have the tracks out of order from the movie sequence.

Yes, they are out of order.

gsr-jedi
05-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Even though I had been listening to the soundtrack for about 2 weeks now, yesterday while listening to the store bought copy when it came to the music for the end titles it caught me off guard, and I realized this is the last movie. If I hadn't been taught by society to be so callous as a man, I probably would have teared up. As it is, when that track finished and the CD started over, I got a little sad again hearing the opening music thinking it's the last movie.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-05-2005, 09:18 AM
I figured this CD would be in the same vein as the other 2 prequels. I also noticed that the opening intro that comes just after the main title and before the first movement was deleted--it jumps right into the battle music. I haven't listened to all the songs, just a smattering of clips, but I like what I've heard so far.

The DVD looks really great. For a freebie I think we're getting a great treat! I like the main menu swap of the characters, but where the hell is Chewie? I watch the first segment and liked the effect of putting the foreground in a 3D effect in front of the background. Having McDiarmid doing intros is also a nice touch, though he looks a little odd. He kind of has that Michael Jackson thin facial hair thing going.

Rocketboy
05-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Feeling a bit of inspiration, I made a DVD cover for the Star Wars: A Musical Journey DVD.
This is a preview, I suppose, since I'm not quite sure if I'm finished yet.

Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Rocketboy78/DVD%20covers/StarWarsAMusicalJourney50.jpg)

Thoughts?

El Chuxter
05-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Not bad, not bad at all. Okay, it was pretty good for Rambo!

Seriously, great stuff. What program(s) are you using for that?

Rocketboy
05-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks!
I use Photoshop 7.

I'm sure it would look tons better if I had more than 1 class worth of Photoshop experience. :D

Sith Lord 0498
05-05-2005, 06:54 PM
That looks terrific! If you can create it to the proper scale, can you post it for the rest of us? I wanted to do something like that, but there's no way I could pull off something that good.

Rocketboy
05-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Since Photobucket won't let me post it full size, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Wow, nice job Rocketboy. I'm really impressed. I'd like to get me one of them slick inserts too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
I figured this CD would be in the same vein as the other 2 prequels. I also noticed that the opening intro that comes just after the main title and before the first movement was deleted--it jumps right into the battle music. I haven't listened to all the songs, just a smattering of clips, but I like what I've heard so far.

The DVD looks really great. For a freebie I think we're getting a great treat! I like the main menu swap of the characters, but where the hell is Chewie? I watch the first segment and liked the effect of putting the foreground in a 3D effect in front of the background. Having McDiarmid doing intros is also a nice touch, though he looks a little odd. He kind of has that Michael Jackson thin facial hair thing going.
POSSILBE SPOILERS

How do you know that some music was deleted? Do you mean that some of the music during the scroll was cut? In the film, it goes from the opening scroll directly to the battle.

I bought this yesterday but I'm not going to listen to it until after the film comes out. I'll watch the DVD tonight though.

General_Grievous
05-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Man, I love this CD. I listened to it and I immediately thought that it was on par with the OT's music. Way better than Episode 1's soundtrack, and miles better than Episode 2's. "Battle of the Heroes" is great, and I also love the fact that the last track is pretty much all-OT music with the exception of a repeat of Battle of the Heroes. Overall, a great buy for me.

The DVD ain't half bad either. :)

Tycho
05-07-2005, 02:54 AM
I'll just echo what everyone else said here, adding that "Battle of the Heroes" is so stuck in my head - but I love having it there!

I can whistle the tune already and I like practicing my lightsaber moves with it blaring in the background.

I'm so ready to play Advance-The-Line for ROTS and the soundtrack has been totally cool to help me train with for the past couple of days I've had it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-07-2005, 05:36 PM
I've only heard Battle of the Heroes from the music video, and it's not really as poignant as the other main themes from the other films. I know I'll get used to it eventually, and it's good, but it just doesn't jump out at me the way Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars do.

2-1B
05-07-2005, 06:05 PM
WOW Rocketboy, that's a nice DVD custom cover. :) Mind if I borrow that from you, too ? I'll PM you my address . . . I was thinking about starting a thread to ask if anybody could make one congruous to the movie inserts because I lack a decent photoediting software but you've already done it !

Nice work, that's awesome. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I finished listening to the soundtrack on Sat. While I wasn't blown away by it, it took me a while to warm up to music from the other prequels and right now I really dig the EP1 CDs. I'm sure once I see the movie once or a few times, the tracks will make more sense and the music, more relevance. Tracks 14 and 15 are just awesome (I won't put spoilers here but the music really lets you into some of the action of the movie, I imagine), but I was disappointed that JW departed from the trend of the previous five end credit music sequences. For the first time we're getting recycled music from another movie outside of the beginning sequence. He has never done that before. Also this one departs from the other 2 prequels in that they end in quiet music rather than the fanfares from 4-6.

CaptainSolo1138
05-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Finally got the time to listen to it today. Overall, I really liked it. I was surprised at how little the "Imperial March" was used :( The only thing I didn't like was most of track 14 (Since the title is sort of a spoiler I'll call it just that). It sounded like a song from a "Harry Potter" score that couldn't be fit into the movie.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Finally got the time to listen to it today. Overall, I really liked it. I was surprised at how little the "Imperial March" was used :( The only thing I didn't like was most of track 14 (Since the title is sort of a spoiler I'll call it just that). It sounded like a song from a "Harry Potter" score that couldn't be fit into the movie.

The total opposite for me. That was the one track that I thought was outstanding while the others were just OK. Didn't you recognize the dark sounding motif? It was in another SW soundtrack. A nice dichotomy between the it and the lighter sounding portion of 14.

El Chuxter
05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
How any of you can't rave about "Anakin's Dark Deeds" is beyond me. :p

CaptainSolo1138
05-11-2005, 01:24 PM
The total opposite for me. That was the one track that I thought was outstanding while the others were just OK. Didn't you recognize the dark sounding motif? It was in another SW soundtrack. A nice dichotomy between the it and the lighter sounding portion of 14.
Perhaps I was being a bit unfair. I do hear the dark tone to it and I don't hate the song, but the lighter portion in question sounded very Potter-esque.

El Chuxter
05-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I think overall the music sounds like maybe some ideas Williams had for Harry Potter IV ended up in ROTS. I'm not complaining. I love the Harry Potter scores and am hoping whoever does #4 can live up to Williams' legacy.

There's a cool interview with Williams about the ROTS score at Yahoo News (http://dailynews.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050511/ap_en_mo/star_wars_williams_q_a;_ylt=AnTosomd2fVuRnMFU3zWp3 Gs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2OXY1b2VrBHNlYwNlbg--).

I've had a little musical fun with Anakin's theme, which appeared in one of the earlier films.

So it sounds like there's some great stuff that's not on the CD after all, since I've listened to this several dozen times and haven't heard Anakin's theme yet!!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I think overall the music sounds like maybe some ideas Williams had for Harry Potter IV ended up in ROTS. I'm not complaining. I love the Harry Potter scores and am hoping whoever does #4 can live up to Williams' legacy.

Now that I think more about it, you have Cap'n Solo have some valid points about the HP sound. I complained rather loudly about "Across the Stars" sounding too much like a motif from Hook so I can see some of his newer non-SW music ending up here. Not necessarily intentionally on his part, but just as an extension of his artistic personality.

I really like JW. I dig his music. I like to see him conduct in person, which I've done a handfull of times. I just think he's doing so much that the fantasy/sci-fi tracks he lays down are starting to sound alike. Kind of like Danny Elfman with his Tim Burton movie scores.

I hope this movie has a minimal amount of recycled music, departing from EP2, and has a large amount of original stuff, yet based strongly on the SW tradition he laid down in the OT.

El Chuxter
05-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Yeah, he's done so much stuff over the past couple of decades, there's bound to be some recycling.

Fitzwilly has a theme that sounds exactly like "Parade of the Ewoks."

The Kamino music sounds a lot like it came from The Fury.

Much of Dracula sounds like the Bespin themes from ESB.

And like you said, "Across the Stars" sounds like "The Flight to Neverland."

But I ain't gonna complain. It's like getting all sorts of cool variations we couldn't get from just six SW films. ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
05-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Just got the soundtrack a couple days ago. Haven't listened to it yet. I got mine from Target, so I downloaded the exclusive track. However, it doesn't work. Perhaps another example Mac users getting hosed. At least it doesn't appear to be that big of a loss, from what I have read here. Has anyone with a Mac been able to get this track to work?

Mandalorian Candidat
05-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Just got the soundtrack a couple days ago. Haven't listened to it yet. I got mine from Target, so I downloaded the exclusive track. However, it doesn't work. Perhaps another example Mac users getting hosed. At least it doesn't appear to be that big of a loss, from what I have read here. Has anyone with a Mac been able to get this track to work?

I don't know anything about Mac problems but I'm not surprised about it. I like the track but it's nothing really original like the Conveyor Belt track Target ex. from the EP2 disc. Just a bunch of dialogue and sound FX like the Duel of the Fates version from the EP1 UE set.

Has anyone tried to put the tracks in sequential order as they are played in the movie? That's my big beef with the single disc prequel CDs is that they have tracks way out of order. I can't quite put where Padme's Ruminations go and a couple of other ones.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Well, after my sadness at listening to the TPM soundtrack and reading that one track was called "Qui-Gon's Death" (no spoiler there, eh? :frus: ), I decided to forgo hearing this one until 5/19 or later. Just for the record, I listened to it for dinner after work on the 19th.

The DVD was quite possibly the best part. My favorite was the video set to "Ben's Death/TIE Fighter Attack." Obviously, that song's from ANH, but all the footage was from ESB, and it flowed flawlessly with the sounds, pauses, and emphases of the song. I am certain that the Guiness Brewing Co. had something to do with this soundtrack, because it's brilliant! Brilliant! ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
05-29-2005, 01:28 PM
I enjoyed the DVD. I really liked Ian's introductions. An excellent voice for it.