PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel like there's too much stuff?

Tycho
03-16-2005, 04:36 PM
First I have to say I do not think so.

I think I have too little money. I'd like them to announce they are making things that we have not yet seen - like an AT-TE or other Padme figures from the movie, let alone a lot of other stuff.

I've managed to save up a lot of money since forcing myself to do so since last summer - I mean how long had I known there'd be an Episode 3? E's 1 & 2 kind of gave that away.

Anyway, still I'm close to having all the cash I want to get these things. However, with Celebration 3 and everything, not to mention how many times will I have to spend $9.50 a pop to see the movie in the theaters? - it's getting pricey!

For those of you who have to have everything, or want to do scenes and army-build and thus buy not only lots of clones, but extra Obi-Wans and Anakins, are you feeling exasperated even before Midnite Madness?

Slicker
03-16-2005, 04:43 PM
I feel ya Tycho. Up until the other day I had been under the impression that I could get away with only spending around $300 on April 2nd then I actually did the math and realized that if 42 figs come out that alone will be approx. $250. So that would only leave me $50 to get the deluxe figs, 12", Lego's, and misc. items. Now I realize that I may have to just settle for the 3 3/4" figs and wait until May for the rest of it. I don't recall there being half this amount of stuff for AOTC.

Ric Olie
03-16-2005, 05:21 PM
My limit for April 2nd is going to be around 50 dollars. I'll buy two or three figures to open and two or three to hang on my wall and some odds and ends like posters and trading cards. Actually if the cards are going up to 2.99 a pack I won't be buying any.

I hope my Walmart carries clothing merchindise this time. I've gone without a Star Wars cap since 1999.

Hellboy
03-16-2005, 06:09 PM
I'd like them to announce they are making things that we have not yet seen - like other Padme figures from the movie

Ha, Tycho you crack me up with your burning desire to someday have every version of Padme possible. lol I'm sure if you were making the decisions over at Hasbro we would've had the Padme wardrobe wave by now and they'd be warming the pegs across the country. ;)

To anwser your question though I do feel a bit overwhelmed and I'm one of those collectors who has been saving up for months now. I think the problem is Hasbro has not given us a definitive anwser as to how many figures will actually be available come April 2nd. It seems the number just keeps growing and many of us don't want to take the chance on passing up some of them for fear that they may be difficult to find later.

Even with the amount of money I have saved I'm still going to be limiting my purchases to obtaining mostly figuers from the basic assortment. My thinking is most of the other stuff should be pretty easy to find even months from now when I can justify the extra expenditures.

Having said that I still think MM is going to be a blast and I'm getting pretty excited as the day looms closer. I'm actually glad that nobody in my general vicinity has found any basic figuers too because it levels the playing field giving everybody an equal shot at obtaining what they want at the same time.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Plus, tycho, you're a huge army builder and you'll probably buy like 4 dozen of each clone trooper you find, so obviously it'll cost you a bundle.

I have been saving up for this for months and got the ole' Wally world discount card, which is going to help A LOT, so bring on ALL the figures from MM! :D

JEDIpartner
03-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Yes... the lines are too diverse now and there is far too much unnecessary stuff.

Darth Alex
03-16-2005, 10:29 PM
It's a bit overwhelming, but I didn't really expect less from everyone involved with the marketing of ROTS. There are things I pass up, some like the Battle Arenas, I'll pick one and see if I like it, figures(basic) I'll get one of each, the vehicles I'll just make an on the spot judgement.
I've benn planning and saving for this over about 4 months, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna get a credit card and go HOG wild.
I'll be interested to see if all the stuff that's planned for line like the Force Battlers ever comes out-go over to rebelscum and print out a list of the ROTS toys(Hasbro). I believe this line will be handled much better that TPM, but it'll be nice to see photos of some of the vehicles and things to be sure we'll get em.
I get a kick outta the MASSIVE-ness of this whole thing. I hope we ALL enjoy it, it'll be the last SW blowout we can count on, short of a TV show build-up or if 7-8-9 actually did see the light of day after 2010(before you call me an idiot, I put nothing past Lucas). I don't really believe we'll ever see a Episode 7, despite what supershadow may post....

2-1B
03-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Not too much for my taste. :)

I'm not a completist so I have NO interest in buying anywhere near 42 figures, so I'll just get a handful of those, one or two 12inchers, maybe an unleashed, and some of the lower priced Legos. I'll be buying the trading cards but I don't plan on doing that for MM so the cards get a separate budget. ;)

In 2002 I remember spending $170 at MM so this time I'm planning on not taking more than $250 but I'll try to spend down around $200.

Fluke Skywalker
03-17-2005, 02:15 AM
This is probably going to end up sounding like a rant here, but I'm more irritated than anything. :mad:

Gripe fest 2005.

1.) For me it's not that there's too much, but too much too soon. Most of us thought that it was going to be the first 24, with the ramaining 32 spread out over the rest of the Summer/Fall. Come to find out, it's probably going to be the first 40-42 opening day! The money thing is certainly a bit of a factor, but even larger is that this deluge kills the fun. I was looking forward to a Summer of toys runs and finds. I can just see June/July/August, nothing but Polis Massan medics rotting on pegs. Why release 3/4 of the line right away?

2.) This has been mentioned before, but why all the hush hush by Hasbro on what will be availible and when? Other than the figures (And that's all still just speculation) I have no idea what we'll find opening week. ARC 170 ship? Your guess is as good as mine.

I've got more but even I'm getting sick of me. ;)

sumdumchum
03-17-2005, 07:34 AM
There isn't too much stuff if you stay away from the rehashes and if you're a completist then you will have to fork out quite a bit of cash. Personally, I've cut down on getting everything and just grabbing what really jumps at me. As far as seeing the movie more than twice? Come on guys, I love star wars as anyone here but who goes to see the movie over and over again? Am I alone in this? If so, then I guess my SW fever may be winding down.

JEDIpartner
03-17-2005, 07:48 AM
The things I am griping about are the unnecessary additions of Force Battlers and Attacktix and the dearth of food tie-ins and peripheral stuff. I don't have a huge problem with the number of figures coming out or the amount of ships and that. It's all the other stuff that I find overkill.

bobafrett
03-17-2005, 07:49 AM
I might be in trouble on this day, as I want to get all the figures, 12" and Unleashed as well as some of the Lego sets. I'm looking to drop about $500 that day, (my Federal tax refund money) maybe more. I usually pass on the Ships as I am not an opener, and from what I've seen so far, the ships aren't being put out with the windows as they have done over the past years. I mean, I was able to get the Grevious wheel vehicle w/figure, but it's still in the box and the box has no window, so that's $20 bucks spent, for something I might never see outside the pictures on the box.

I still have had some tough nights sleeping wondering if my fellow Wal-Mart associates might put out a box of the figures early or I'll show up and be left with only peg warming figures.

dindae
03-17-2005, 08:33 AM
I definately feel like it is a lot. I don't know if I would go as far asa to say too much. I think Hasbro will loose out on some money because of the mad onslaught of product. While I have been planning for a while so I could get everything I want, if they released the figures a little more spread out I would pick up more army builders. I can't imagine being a kid wanting it all. I got enough money for one figure a week or a movie a week. I wouldn't even scratch the surface of the april 2 load. As far as seeing the movie multiple times I know I will see it at least twice one opening night and one more to get everything I missed. If it rocks then I will go more times. I saw E1 about 7 times but it was in theaters forever and some of those were in discount theaters. I saw E2 3 or 4 times. We will have to see. I have cut back on my movie going a lot lately period so even if it is good I don't know how often I will be that motivated to fork out the dough.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-17-2005, 03:58 PM
The things I am griping about are the unnecessary additions of Force Battlers and Attacktix and the dearth of food tie-ins and peripheral stuff. I don't have a huge problem with the number of figures coming out or the amount of ships and that. It's all the other stuff that I find overkill.
I agree with you. I mean, there's going to be ten freakin' air fresheners!!! I don't know about you, but I don't want to find out what Chewbacca smells like. I think the Burger King toys are cool and I love SW fast food stuff! The same goes for food packaging. Don't know why, but I just do.

I also agree with Slicker (I think) who said it's too much too soon. There were 27 figures for AOTC (but nobody could find the last 5 or so) and there are 40 for ROTS! With only 16 coming in the near future. But for all we know, there are 90 more figures coming out this year after these.

I think the Force Battlers and Attacktix were a bad move on Hasbro's part. I foresee them going on clearance really quickly.

tagmac
03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
There is just way too much stuff coming out on April 2. For TPM, we got about 24 figures. While idiot hoarders made Darth Maul temporarily rare, even the army builders like the Battle Droids (with 4 different versions) were plentiful. For AOTC, we got about 10 more, with some stores not getting in the same case assortments, and 6 figures being highly difficult to find if you weren't the first 5 people into the store. Now we get the potential of 42 figures in one night - not only does this make it harder to get them because of the sheer numbers, but it means fewer of each figure in the stores come midnight madness. Once the scalpers/hoarders have their field day, we're gonna see the same problems from the last MM, with several popular figures being impossible to find for weeks. Would have been much nicer to have about 25 figures to start, then fresh case assortments of all new figures over the course of the next few months. But then, since when has Hasbro EVER done anything right.....

Kidhuman
03-17-2005, 09:56 PM
I agree with those who said...too much, too soon. A nice spread out would have been nice

4-Q-2
03-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Personally, I am trying to take the optimistic point of view. Are they completely flooding the market? Yeah,probably. But I know I'll have 2 chances to get everything. I'll be at TRU for the MM sale & to get my Yoda exclusive. Then I park my car by Target (with possibly a stop at the bank to replenish the funds) so I can get my Lava Vader & hopefully any figs I missed. I am leary of hoarders at TRU, even though my last 2 MM experiences were very positive. I'm looking at about $300-$350 this year, which is more than normal. But then again, it is the last time I'll get to do this. And I cannot attend C3, so this is all I have.

Now all we need is an official checklist so we can be sure we're talking about the right numbers!

DarkArtist
03-18-2005, 07:32 AM
I for one have to say NO. I think that there is finally enough for all to be interested in. I know for a fact that the Attackic and power master series don't hold anything special for me and I am not a fan of the 12" line. The lego sets are cool and I will must likely pick up on or two sets that are cool but for the most part I am the 3 3/4 wave guy. They are much easier to store and display, or in my case play with, and they are the cheapest.
I stopped being on MOC collector for finance reasons and storage space ( Still looking for anyone interested in purchasing about 100 MOC figures from POTF to AOTC ). I just hope that there is enough merchandise to go around for everybody. I mean how many times do you go to the store and see thesame figures on the same pegs and some greedy guy or gal walking away with a case of figures.
I also hope that there will be some clothing for this movie. i have shirts from all of the movies with the exception of AOTC.
I think for MM I am going to focus on a wide range of figures with the Mustafar Playset being one of the items. :) :)

tagmac
03-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Three years ago, I went to Target the next morning, "competing" with only two people for figures, but finding that they didn't even get the Dooku and Taun We case assortments. Thanks to Lava Vader, I now expect there to be a huge line outside my Target, although hopefully this time they'll at least have all the figures, not just one case assortment's worth.