PDA

View Full Version : Galoob's License and SW MM Initial Release

Ji'dai
03-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm trying to nail down when Galoob acquired their Star Wars license and the first appearance of SW MicroMachines.

The following clause is from Hasbro's September 1998 'amended' SW toy license agreement with Lucasfilm. (It anticipates Hasbro's October '98 acquisition of Galoob and that company's micro-toy license):

"; and (iv) those various license agreements between Licensor and Lewis
Galoob Toys, Inc. now known as Galoob Toys, Inc., on behalf of itself
and/or any or all of its affiliated, related and subsidiary entities
including, without limitation, that certain license agreement dated as of
October 30, 1992, as amended, including by agreements dated as of May 14,
1997 and dated as of July 24, 1997."

Based on this paragraph, I'm thinking that Galoob aquired the license in October 1992.

Now for the first releases... I have toy receipts from Summer 1994 that clearly describe SW MicroMachine purchases. However, some of the MM vehicles I own have 1993 datestamps molded onto them. I do have toy receipts from 1993 but they don't have any product descriptions. Does anyone know if the first SW MicroMachines were released in 1993?

sicqnus
03-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I think the copyright marks were made during production.
The Galoob StarWars MicroMachines were first launched in january 1994. First set sold : Vehicles three pack # 1 (UPC : 65860) : Millenium Falcon, X-wing, Imperial Stardestroyer.
Maybe you can send en e-mail to Jim Fong, he should give you the right date : http://www.jimfong.com

JediTricks
03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
They absolutely were released in '93, I bought the ANH and ESB packs along with the Star Trek movies and TNG packs at TRU Phoenix Metro Center at least a month before Christmas (probably more like somewhere in early to mid autumn). I can attest to this because I only lived in Phoenix until Feb of '94 and had already owned them several months before I moved away (in fact, I had owned them at least several weeks before I received the Playmates Star Trek TOS 7-pack which I got xmas of '93 because I had to make room in my MM collection for the figs and I didn't buy toys that close to the holiday), and I remember quite clearly the day I bought the SWMMs it was warm and very sunny in the afternoon, and I sat on the bus stop while gazing at my new purchases and since it was warm and very sunny, and because I never went anywhere except work before noon, it probably wasn't November and definitely wasn't December.

AndyW
03-18-2005, 05:26 AM
I remember being about 12/13 when I got my first sets of MM's, both Star Trek and Star Wars. So that would have been late 1993 to early 1994.

Funnny enough, I remember finally finding the Star Trek movies collection with the Grissom in sometime in summer 1995. I remember that 'cos I skipped a music lesson in the evening 'cos I was too busy playing with 'em :D
I also remember having the very early Star Trek sets in the neon packaging colours, which marked the early releases, afterwards I think they switched to a star background, so I must have had them as soon as they came out in the UK. Ah, those were the days!

Ji'dai
03-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I was feeling adventurous so I went through my old packaging in storage (always a treacherous undertaking since I often spend hours pining over stuff I don't have room to display). Anyhoo I find the cards and inserts for the first Star Wars MicroMachines - SW, ESB, and ROTJ - and they all have 1993 dates.

Taking sicqnus' advice, I decided to email Jim Fong, one of the Galoob designers responsible for many Star Wars vehicles and transforming playsets. He was able to confirm that the license was granted in 1992 and toys first appeared in 1993. I had my suspicions that was the case. So you guys were right!

Hello Jim,

I contacted the VP of marketing (Galoob) and he said it was in 92.

Despite the fact that Galoob is now gone, I am glad that people
remembered the toys we designed and enjoyed playing and collecting
them.

If we acquired the license in 92, then it would mean the toys came out
in 93.

From concept to the retail stores, it takes one year.

Hope this helps.

best-Jim

LTBasker
03-20-2005, 06:49 PM
It's been over a decade? Holy crap, MM are vintage! :eek:

I feel old. :p

JediTricks
03-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I feel older. ;)

britcit3
03-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Ahhhh.........

I remember buying my 1st 3 pack of MM's - a Star Trek set with Vor'cha, Ent D and Rom Warbird, from a long-gone comic shop next to Lancaster bus station in 1993.

Must be the mark of a good toy when we are still talking about them 12 years on (& still just as enthusiastic for them).

BC3