PDA

View Full Version : OT DVD covers and "revisionism"..........

rbaumhauer
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Does anybody else hate the OT DVD covers?

I despise them! The original movie posters were classics, but instead of using them, we have to put up with these monstrosities that exist only so that they look the same as the PT DVDs. I hate the central character w/lightsaber publicity stills, especially for ANH, where they used a shot of Mark Hamill from after his accident, so he looks NOTHING like Luke does in the movie.

I know it's a small thing, but it's been buggin' me since I got them, and I just pulled out ESB to check a line of dialog and it reminded me again how bad they are.

Rick

scruffziller
03-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Yea, the collection of pics is very collage and has no feng sueui. Very dead and lifeless like a statue but the original poster art had emotion oozing out of them and almost seemed to move. Like on the ESB pic, I could almost see Han throwing Leia back in his arms as if to kiss her. And seeing Luke on the Taun Taun, I can almost see that he just rode on it to the top of the hill and is looking over the horizon.:)

Rocketboy
03-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Even though they give the entire saga a unified look, they should have either used the original poster art or the amazing updated Drew Struzan poster art on all (PT & OT) the DVDs.

All that really matters is that the spine matches, IMO. How many people display their DVDs with the cover facing out?

2-1B
03-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Yeah, but the spines DON'T match, Rocket . . . unless you have the Gold Fullscreen DVDs to go with the prequel DVDs. :crazed:

Rick, I hate that shot of Luke for ANH as well, I hate it more than anything else on the DVD covers.

stillakid
03-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I prefer to look at it this way. Because the movies inside the box are bastardizations of the originals, it only stands to reason that the outside photos are too. I mean, if the original artwork from the original films was being used to sell these EU versions of the movies, that would be false advertising. As the Prequels are pretty much EU themselves, it only stands to reason that the "new" versions of the OT DVDs match the overall theme/look of the Prequels. No?

scruffziller
03-19-2005, 11:07 AM
It only stands to reason that the "new" versions of the OT DVDs match the overall theme/look of the Prequels. No?

Yes.....:D

Ji'dai
03-19-2005, 01:07 PM
I usually keep them inside the silver slipcover, with the embossed Vader side on display. But the cover art leaves a lot to be desired I'll give you that.

I don't have many DVDs so I often display them from the front. Here is a pic of a cabinet I built for that purpose. I may swap out the Buffy box sets for Star Wars, LOTR, or maybe Simpsons eventually. But I like displaying figures with the DVDs.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but the spines DON'T match, Rocket . . . unless you have the Gold Fullscreen DVDs to go with the prequel DVDs. :crazed:

Rick, I hate that shot of Luke for ANH as well, I hate it more than anything else on the DVD covers.
Really? The thing I hate about them is the horrible-looking ROTJ Luke picture. It's his body from the skiff battle (I think) but his head from the end Endor celebration. Er, something like that; I know his head doesn't match the body. They didn't match it up very well and his head is kind of tiny.

Other than that, I really like the covers. They're much better than those prototypes we saw a few months before they came out, in which the movies would all be in one box with fold-out sections and a picture of Yoda from AOTC. Those were bad! :dead:

2-1B
03-20-2005, 12:27 PM
John, I don't disagree that the ROTJ Luke looks bad, I just think the ANH Luke is worse. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-20-2005, 12:54 PM
John, I don't disagree that the ROTJ Luke looks bad, I just think the ANH Luke is worse. :)
Oh, okay. On a somewhat related note, when did Mark have his accident? And why didn't they take all these publicty pictures when they were filming the movie anyway?

rbaumhauer
03-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Oh, okay. On a somewhat related note, when did Mark have his accident? And why didn't they take all these publicty pictures when they were filming the movie anyway?

January '77, on his way to shoot "pickups" in the desert in CA for ANH. They did take a number of publicity stills before the accident, but since that occured before the movie opened, nobody could have foreseen its popularity, and more shots were taken after the opening.

Rick