PDA

View Full Version : STAR WARS SAGA in 3D !! -- 2007.

JediBoulton
03-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Lucas is planning to release his entire Star Wars trilogy in 3D for the 30th anniversary in 2007...

Saw the above in a statement made after Texas Instruments released their new #D Projector in Las Vegas.

WOW -- This would be SWEET!!

Any comments ??

Slicker
03-18-2005, 11:27 AM
:eek::eek::eek: Dear god let's hope this goes through without a hitch. I'd love to see these movies in 3-D. Hopefully it'll be at Imax theaters.

El Chuxter
03-18-2005, 11:47 AM
This could be spectacular (especially if it's in IMAX), but how many "corrections" will he sneak in? :eek:

BTW, this is more a "Classic Trilogy" thread than a "Hasbro Saga" one. Would a Senator with the power to relocate it do so, purty please? :)

Kidhuman
03-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Yes it would be sweet.

Sorry Chux, I only cover Tatooine, Dantooine and Endor...my powers are useless with out the red sun of Krypton inthese parts.

dindae
03-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Not only would I enjoy seeing them in 3D but movies in the theaters means toys in the aisles. It would definately prolong the hobby a bit. :D

JediTricks
03-18-2005, 09:42 PM
I'll have to see the technology in action before I give this a thumbs-up, I remember TPM projected digitally back in '99 when the technology just wasn't up to the task (it looked like an artifacty DVD, and it had good colors but weak black-depth, and that was the TI DLP one, the other one was far more putrid). If it can look really good without having to don glasses, I'm there, but if it's halfarsed I'll still be there but not as enthusiasticly. ;)

Exhaust Port
03-18-2005, 11:47 PM
I don't see how he could change the current movies into 3D as it takes 2 cameras to create the depth of field. It isn't a matter of shifting the current images to give the proper depth in a 3D field as they would look like 2D cutouts in a 3D world. The human form is waaaayyy too complex to properly shift the surface properly artificially to give it a proper 3D image. Can you imagine how impossible it would be to alter the Speederbike scene to 3D with all the complexity of the forest? He could extract the actors and bikes from the background and create the forest with 3D but that still wouldn't tackle the issue of the actors.

JediTricks
03-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Just take computers and reprocess the scenes in the computer into a pair so everything's askew from one set to the other in this new pair, the closer to the camera's focus to an item the more askew one set's becomes - it's just that simple! ;) Seriously though, Lucas will do it with computers, if you want more details, he'll say "ILM". :D

2-1B
03-19-2005, 01:26 AM
I'm not a big fan of 3D and wouldn't be excited for that reason, but it WOULD be cool if it gets the movies back in theaters again. ;)

Exhaust Port
03-19-2005, 09:58 AM
The first 3D movie I saw was the 1950's "It Came From Outer Space". A local theater was showing it in the early 1980's complete with the very cool blue/red 3D glasses. I would love to see another 3D movie as the technology is a fun novelty. Obviously GL is talking about 3D that isn't the old blue/red offset which I haven't seen yet. I wish that they would offer those old 3D movies on DVD. Now that would be awesome.

stillakid
03-19-2005, 10:06 AM
There is a new process being tested that takes (supposedly) takes 2D images and converts them to 3D. I haven't seen it myself and I can't remember which movie is being converted, but it is apparently imminent.

But aside from the space battles, just about everything else in the OT was shot rather tableau style. The shots just didn't lend themselves to having the images "jump off the screen." It sounds like just another gimmick, ala Smell o' Vision. I guess he doesn't trust that he'd have a theatrical audience to come back to the theater to see the entire Star Wars saga. Any guesses why that might be? :sur:

ANAKINNo Padme, let me cut that fruit for you.

Anakin levitates the fruit off Padme's plate and it flies out wayyyyy over the audience's heads. Anakin's knife extends wayyyyy out to slice the fruit in half causing the audience to dive away in abject fear.

:rolleyes:

Slicker
03-19-2005, 10:19 AM
There is a new process being tested that takes (supposedly) takes 2D images and converts them to 3D. I haven't seen it myself and I can't remember which movie is being converted, but it is apparently imminent.The article that I read said that you still have to wear a form of glasses to watch the movie in 3-D. I'm not sure if they have to be the red/blue one's (doubtful) that EP mentioned or the one's that you wear to an IMAX (most likely) film.

scruffziller
03-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Anakin levitates the fruit off Padme's plate and it flies out wayyyyy over the audience's heads. Anakin's knife extends wayyyyy out to slice the fruit in half causing the audience to dive away in abject fear.:rolleyes:

LOL!!! You're mean....:D

How is the process going to compare to The Captain EO experience at Disneyland. I rather enjoyed it and it was the only 3D movie I haver ever seen. But that movie was created specifically for a 3D experience or does it really matter? I would think that you need some sort of optical wear to "pull out" the images to your eyes to get the 3D effect short of having holographic projectors.
Watch......... another 20 years. 2027, SW 50th Aniversary. See the Star Wars Saga in the new Holodeck Theatre!!!!!!

JediTricks
03-20-2005, 08:43 PM
WEAK! What's the friggin' point? Disneyland already did the 3D attraction with non-colored glasses 20 years ago using polarized lenses in a "Magic of 3D" attraction that later was converted to Captain EO and then Honey I Shrunk the Audience (they also added some real lasers and smoke when they put in Capt EO which ruled, then added a ton more features with Honey I shrunk the Audience which weren't as cool), this is the same technology found in the IMAX 3D movies I believe, the one that Roger Ebert finally said was good (the guy hated 3D up until that recent IMAX 3D film, I think it was Polar Express). If you need to wear any sort of glasses, it ain't new IMO.

JON9000
03-20-2005, 09:34 PM
I'll have to see the technology in action before I give this a thumbs-up, I remember TPM projected digitally back in '99 when the technology just wasn't up to the task (it looked like an artifacty DVD, and it had good colors but weak black-depth, and that was the TI DLP one, the other one was far more putrid)
that was shown in 3-B. Three beers and it looks good, eh? :D

Darth Alex
03-20-2005, 10:02 PM
If this works, it would RULE. If it doesn't, would Lucas really put it out I wonder?
He is QUITE the perfectionist when it comes to his films, heck, he even made changes to THX 1138!
But seriously, if this worked and worked well, it would be a real TRIP(boy, I sound like the Dude tonight), man!

JediTricks
03-20-2005, 10:21 PM
that was shown in 3-B. Three beers and it looks good, eh? :D
Close, it was 3 times more Boring. ;)

2-1B
03-21-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm not wearing any 3D glasses.

I'll skip this theatrical run. :)

Rocketboy
04-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Uncle George's announcement may have been a bit premature...
Comingsoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/starwarsnews.php?id=9034) reports

Producer Talks 3-D Star Wars

Variety reports that the 3-D version of the Star wars Saga might not be happening as soon as George Lucas stated at ShoWest:

At last month's ShoWest, George LucasGeorge Lucas said he's eager to release all six films in the "Star Wars" saga in digital 3-D, one film a year, starting in 2007. But even though Lucas has control of the pics and can release them when he chooses, Lucasfilm says a 3-D "Star Wars" series will have to wait.

"No, we don't have any real plans," "Star Wars" producer Rick McCallum says. "George had never seen the footage of the first six minutes of 'Episode IV' until a week before ShoWest."

Lucas "yearns for it to happen, he wants it to happen," McCallum says, "but we can't implement it until the industry gets its act together and pushes digital cinema forward."

Pendo
04-05-2005, 09:16 AM
If Lucas can pull it off it'd be great. I just hope that the 2D versions are not forgotten about, like the Original and Special Editions have now been forgotten about!

I wonder if any further new scenes will be added? Knowing Lucas they probably will.

So 2007 we have the 3d Versions, what next? Star Wars Smell-O-Vision??? :crazed:

PENDO!

CaptainSolo1138
04-05-2005, 12:02 PM
what next? Star Wars Smell-O-Vision??? :crazed:

In which case I will be skipping Luke's Tauntaun entombment and probably every scene with Jabba. :D

El Chuxter
04-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Massive brain fart this morning. . . realized the truth:

THE 3-D FILMS ARE THE "ARCHIVAL EDITIONS"!!

Think about it. Those are all but confirmed for 2007. Now 3-D is confirmed for 2007. I doubt he'll do two separate versions of the films for release in the same year.

This means there will be more sweeping changes to the series. For good or for ill, these won't be the movies as we've ever seen them before.

Rocketboy
04-05-2005, 02:04 PM
In which case I will be skipping Luke's Tauntaun entombment and probably every scene with Jabba. :DYeah, but I'll bet Vader smells like brand new, fresh out of the box electronics.

scruffziller
04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
On the note of the industry getting its act together to push digital cinema is a big problem. My brothers company is crossing over into home theater and the technology for these HD projectors is astounding. The man in the company who is implementing this side for the biz attended a conference in which he got to see the HD projector that Robin Williams owns(which is the best out there now and costs about $250,00) in action and he said it is breathtaking. However the entertainment industry has not jumped on the bandwagon with this technology because it is highly pirate-able. DVDs have better quality than the films we see in the theaters. But if the medium was distributed on a disk that houses a digital signal then the distribution for films getting out before they hit theaters is a high risk. But they will eventually need to figure something out to get going on it.

Lord_Grievous
04-16-2005, 07:30 AM
THE 3-D FILMS ARE THE "ARCHIVAL EDITIONS"!!

I can see more changes in the trilogy, he'll probably add more stuff.

Slicker
04-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Is it true that starting in 2007 we're going to see all the Star Wars films again in 3-D?
Lucas: "Well, we're hoping so. It really depends how fast the theater owners finally get on the stick and put digital cinema in their theaters, because it won't work without having digital projectors. So we're hoping it's a way of pushing digital. I've been trying for six years to get digital--we did Phantom Menace digitally in four theaters, we did Attack of the Clones in about 115 theaters, and now a lot of people have sold their theaters so we're only going to be in about 80 theaters now. But in Europe it's gone from about 20 theaters to now there's about 300. So we're now, depending on the rest of the world. In the United States, the film industry has kind of gotten together and formed organizations to make sure this doesn't happen in the foreseeable future."

Apparently it's a go...if theaters get of there collective arses and go digital.

Ji'dai
04-30-2005, 11:49 PM
"In the United States, the film industry has kind of gotten together and formed organizations to make sure this doesn't happen in the foreseeable future."

He makes it sound as if the film industry is plotting against them. There has always been resistance to new technology in the film industry.

Some directors, like Chaplin, disliked using dialogue for his "Tramp" movies so he resisted studio pressue to make them into "talkies." Same thing happened with the greater use of color film. Directors had become so skilled at crafting an atmosphere in the B&W medium that color represented a total revolution in their craft.

The look of film offers an artistic quality that may not be matched with digital photography. It may not be as great as the difference between, say, the quality of video tape and that of film, but it's enough that people don't like the change. Some episodes in the last seasons of The Twilight Zone were shot on video to cut costs and they look almost amateurish compared to the previous seasons shot on film.

Plus there's the expense to theatre owners to buy new equipment every time new technology is released. I can understand their resistance to costly upgrades, especially when it may not impact ticket sales for the better. State of the art technology & fantastic special effects still won't carry a film with a poorly told story.

Darkross
05-09-2005, 09:15 PM
What I'd like to see is a 1st person point of view release of the SAGA. I mean how cool would that be for the audience to see the film from the perspective of let's say Han Solo, or Luke Skywalker, or even Darth Vader? It is highly unlikely they'd ever do it...but it would be cool. This would give the audience the feel of actually being "IN" the movie.

As for 3-D...I think what they may do is convert the SAGA into 3-D animation to match the extended Clone Wars 3-D animated series. Maybe that's what they mean by releasing the 6 movies in 3-D.

Who know...???