PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Re-Releasing Films in 3D

scruffziller
03-18-2005, 12:03 PM
From VH1 News.

We already heard that intense battles and dark themes might push the final "Star Wars" episode into uncharted territory: a PG-13 rating. Now, director George Lucas has revealed that "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" (May 19) isn't just a nail biter, it's also a tearjerker. The director also vowed to re-imagine his space epic one more time, in 3-D.

Speaking at the ShoWest convention in Las Vegas this week, Lucas told theater owners that the final episode in his space epic is "not like the first one. It's more emotional," according to a Reuters report. "I describe it as a 'Titanic' in space. It's a real tearjerker, and it will be received in a way that none of us can expect."

The lucky owners got to see the first six minutes of the film, which is more than anyone outside Skywalker Ranch has seen to date of the episode in which Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) succumbs to the lure of the dark side of the Force and becomes Darth Vader. Lucas did not reveal who is involved in the heartbreaking love story, but audiences may remember that Senator Padmé Amidala (Natalie Portman) married Anakin in a secret ceremony in the previous film, "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones."

It's the first full-on romance in the space cowboy epic, which has previously flirted with a love story between Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and a slightly creepy attraction between Leia and Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), who she subsequently found out was her brother.

Standing next to "Titanic" director James Cameron on the ShoWest stage Thursday, Lucas promoted the latest in 3-D film technology: a digital process that easily converts two-dimensional movies into 3-D ones with realistic depth.

"It looks better than the original, to be honest with you," Lucas told ShoWest attendees, according to an Associated Press report. How good? Lucas said he hopes to re-release all six "Star Wars" movies in the format to be shown in regular movie theaters.

Lucas — who has drawn the ire of some "Star Wars" faithful in the past for his digital tweaking of the original series — showed off snippets of 3-D conversions of "Attack of the Clones" as well as a few minutes of the original "Star Wars" that depicted C-3P0 and R2-D2 in what was described as "sharp depth."

Though the new 3-D system is easier on theaters because it does away with the side-by-side projector systems of the past, it still requires audiences to wear those goofy 3-D glasses.

hango fett
03-18-2005, 01:01 PM
well, sounds awsome. i hope that the lightsabers come right at my face.....that would rock.
HF

Slicker
03-18-2005, 02:26 PM
I've only seen one 3-D film and that Polar Express at an IMAX theater and it was just awesome. I had a crappy seat and I still had stuff jumping out of the screen at me. Hopefully this has the same effect.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Why is this in the spoiler section?

Anyway, this is an extremely awesome idea!!! Not only would I love to see the films on the big screen again, but in 3D would make it even cooler! I wonder what it would be like to see the hyperspace jump like this?

I assume this would be for the 30th anniversary two years from now? Then of course you know we'll get the deluxe DVD box set of all six with both regular and 3D versions of the films. :rolleyes:

Fluke Skywalker
03-19-2005, 02:54 AM
Hey, if you've got a Cow why not milk it, right? The idea of a re-re-re-release of the Saga is great, but I don't know if I need to see Uncle Owen in 3-D. Now, Carrie Fisher, that's another story.

scruffziller
03-19-2005, 11:15 AM
=Now, Carrie Fisher, that's another story.

More like Padme.:crazed:

Also too I can't wait till they get the IMAX theatre built in Des Moines and to see these films in 3D there. OH YEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

I put this thread in the EPS 3 spoiler section because I believed that the article was mainly talking about EPS3 and had some seemingly spoiler info in it. I hadn't noticed that there was another thread in the OT forum til it was too late. If Senators feel the need to move this they can.

stillakid
03-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Fan Reaction

As you might expect, the reaction to Lucas's continued "work" on the saga runs the gammut. Aintitcoolnews has a nice string of responses to the recent Showwest announcements. Here is just one of the more interesting:

by Kerrak 2005-03-19 00:01:21
Lucas is a crispy hobgoblin. He makes movies for bright-eyed troglodites and girls who shouldn't come within ten feet of a toaster. He is also fat. His kids are fat. This makes him a bad father. He needs to render his children's fat into shampoo that he can work into his brain to revive the magic that existed back in 1977. He could then mount their heads in the ILM production studios for motivation - something like "if you don't stop f-ing around, these will be your heads up here. That's right, your big fat heads." Maybe he'll start to cry as he says this, and that will be good. He needs to cry. This is because he's a little b**ch. The workers at ILM will pat the heads for good luck. They will eventually start to smell, but not for long, because as I said, Lucas is fat, and he will eventually eat the heads. He will feel guilty about this, but then he'll tickle his hairy belly with their jawbones and feel better. This will complete the circle of life. Lucas will chronicle this series of events in a fourteen hour documentary titled "Head-Eaters Deluxe". It will be a musical. Rick Moranis will be involved in some capacity, perhaps as a key grip. Perhaps he'll stand in as one of Lucas's children. Perhaps Lucas will eat him too, and comb the fibers from his corpse into his beard. Perhaps he'll name his beard Shelly and become romantically involved with it. Perhaps the relationship will dissolve in a maelstrom of blood and shaving cream. Perhaps Lucas, having shaved his beard, will sculpt it into a tiny black ball and toss it at his employees. It's hard to say.

And you thought I was bad. You ain't seen nothin'! :crazed:

hango fett
03-19-2005, 04:44 PM
your right. that guy needs to calm down and hide out in a hole for a few months.
HF