PDA

View Full Version : WHo thinks the new figures suck!!!!!!

bobafettsdad
01-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Everyone who thinks these new AOTC figures suck should reply here and let HAsbro know!!!!:confused:

Rampage0007
01-05-2002, 05:56 PM
I do!
I do!
Well, most of them anyway. the Anakin and Obi-Wan shown stink... as do Shaak Ti (Shaak Ti is the one I can stand in the least) and the new Padme'. I LOVE the huge accessories though.

bigbarada
01-05-2002, 07:00 PM
SirSteve has pointed out that these are protoypes and not the finished products at all. I hope the toys we see on the shelves are much better than this garbage.

I've been a collector since 1978 and have come to expect a certain level of quality in Star Wars toys. Maybe I hold them to too high of a standard. However, seeing this bilge has me wondering if Hasbro even cares about the Star Wars liscense anymore.

I will give Hasbro the benefit of the doubt and wait until I see the figures on the shelves (since I really have no choice). But if the toys released in April look anything like these, then just give me the Ephant Mon figure I voted for and I'll be on my way to look for a new hobby.

GNT
01-05-2002, 08:35 PM
I'm very disappointed by these figures from what we've seen,thankgod I've seen them now so I can put my money to other uses...

derek
01-05-2002, 11:10 PM
they SUCK:eek:

LTBasker
01-06-2002, 01:57 AM
From what I've seen... it's like Hasbro is taking the POTJ detail quality, the accessories of POTF2, and putting them on adverage Episode 1 quality figures. Prototypes or not, they should at least be better than this. From the looks of things the only accessories the figures will be able to hold are those that come with them. The retractable lightsaber idea with the Anakin fig is stupid, IMO, just make it removable like on the Darth Maul sabers and it will make it more accurate.

Tycho
01-06-2002, 03:46 AM
They don't all suck, but I was disappointed. First off, before the pegs are warm with Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Jango - they are the first figures I want from Episode 2. Those 3 are the singled-out worst!

Here goes - the BAD

Anakin - does he use a lightsaber in this scene? I know most of the plot of the movie. He's in disguise hiding Padme on a freighter (this is the Anakin Freighter figure) and in Forbidden Love they are discussing "Are you allowed to love?" If he doesn't want people to know he's a Jedi, pulling a lightsaber is probably a bad idea. So why does he need a vintage action feature making it come out of his arm? Why, under the tunic, is he dressed like he's going to do a number with N'Sync when they make their appearance in the film? What's the wide stance for. If there is a fight on the freighter it is extremely insignificant. Hardly meriting this action feature on the figure. Finally, whoever is so nostalgic for vintage figures ought to remember that even the vintage went to lightsabers that were fully removeable by 1980. - Oh and why is Anakin's hair painted like Billy Idol?

Obi-Wan - just joined Billy Idol on tour as well? The figure and the unpainted droid we saw on Hasbro's blue card photo looked better than this. It's the painting really. Hope they revert to the way they had it in the carded pictures before. The droid's paint looked fake, too.

Jango - one pose wonder. Look at the lack of articulation! This figure should be more poseable than the CommTech stormtrooper!

THE BEST

Zam Wessel - wow! This is a figure of good quality!

Boba Fett - looks like the Real-Scan works when they let it! That's Daniel Logan for sure! Nice job!

PRETTY GOOD, JUST DULL CHARACTERS?

The Tusken woman and child

Captain Typho

ONE-SCENE WONDERS I still like:

Shaak-Ti is painted rather nice, and sculpted like art. Not worth the price without barely any action to her action figure...but...

Padme - I like the mid-rift showing and the sex appeal deliberately put into Natalie Portman's outfit.

UNKOWN AS TO YET:

Plo Koon - looks like he'll be awesome!

Kit Fisto - same! Nice sculpt!

I like the deflected laser blasts as accessories. Wonder if they will plug into the lightsabers so they look like they are bouncing off?

Maybe they'll bounce off the hands, blocking with The Force, as Vader did with Han's shots???

I don't remember if I forgot anyone - but it is not all bad. But the figures that should be good are not turning out that way....

It waits to be seen.

LTBasker
01-06-2002, 06:43 AM
Zam Wessel - Practically a statue, from what I see it's only basic articulation... So what can you do with her arms like that besides make her hold that gun?

Anakin - I do believe they stole this pose from the Mara Jade figure. :D Like I said in my last post, if they want a good lightsaber, they should keep to making the lightsabers like they are now just with Sith Lord Darth Maul's removeable blade feature. Not too mention his head looks like an E1 Obi-Wan head with a wig on it. And it's nice to know Hasbro knows how much we hate the solid plastic robes/capes/etc. :rolleyes:

Obi-Wan - Whats with the turned over fist and the "spinning lightsaber" stuff? His hair looks funky... Doesn't really look like they used the Real Scan stuff...

Padme - So I guess she gave in to all the sex and exploitions that I could've sworn she said she didn't want to do in a movie. Oh yeah, the figure. :D Well the arm joint looks terrible, let me guess, we squeeze her legs and then her arm pops up to "break" the pillar?

Skaak Ti - One word: Funky... (I dunno how to comment on this one, lol.)

Plo Koon - He turned in his robe for a mini skirt?

Kit Fisto - Well the picture is pretty synical lookin'..and the pose sucks because it looks like it's also suffering from basic articulation.

Boba Fett - Well, like I said on Obi-Wan, doesn't look like they used the real scan technology... I know these are pretty small things that it's being used on, but those busts we saw at Toy Fair were fairly small also and they had AWESOME detail to'em! "And it's nice to know Hasbro knows how much we hate the solid plastic robes/capes/etc."

Jango Fett - 300th Boba without the extra articulation?

R2 Unit - Well there's nothing bad about this figure, it's a new droid and as long as they use the R2-Q5 mold, best E2 figure.

Captain Typho - Character that's not getting alot of good feedback in movie form... so with a figure like that, can it get good feedback in figure form too?

Tusken Mother with Child - Good idea, bad idea. Cool and interesting figures, would be cool diorama fillers...but didn't we learn about releasing figures like this as launch figures from the Gasgano and Jar-Jar May 3rd figs?

Jedi Starfighter - Cool toy but "the R2 ain't go no-body and nobody cares." :D

Slave I - How many resculpts will it take to get to the center of new molds? :rolleyes:

I know I was mean, but after the POTJ line, these figures are really dissapointing... Starting to make me fade out of SW interest when I look at them and it's really saddening because I don't want Star Wars to die, but with stuff like this coming from Hasbro and when compared to the POTJ line that came just BEFORE it, ain't it just a little Psyco?

JediTricks
01-06-2002, 08:06 AM
Bigbarada hit it on the head for my opinion, I'm waiting and hoping, but what we've seen in the past few days is definitely the express train to the aisle of misfit toys. ;) (it's a play on words, get it? "Aisle" instead of "Isle"??? Because they're found on the... toy aisl... oh forget it! You people are just philistines!!! :crazed: ;) )

JonoFett
01-06-2002, 09:47 AM
This is a retrograde step by Hasbro in creating what can only be described as hulks. What on earth were they thinking when they designed these monstrosities, especially since there was so much hype about bringing RealScan technology on board. I agree with the poster that these sculpts are crap and should be redone, otherwise collectors' WILL, like myself, boycott their purchase.

We appear to be entering a new phase where LFL and Star Wars appear to be losing their dominance to up-and-coming franchises like, for example, The Lord of the Rings and Peter Jackson. Now look at those LOTR figures!

Majorly disappointed. Buck your ideas up, Hasbro. We're not asking for much.:(

sith_killer_99
01-06-2002, 10:10 AM
I will reserve my opinions until I have them in hand and open. :D

However, I will say this.;)

I HOPE:

Zam Wesel's vail is removable. That would ROCK!:) I also like the detail of this figure. Plus, it looks like Hasbro gave her a holster with removable gun. Another feature I really like.

Anakin (Lord of the Dance) Skywalker with extending lightsaber. Looks like this could be from the deluxe line, similar to the Power F/X stuff. The lightsaber may have a "light-up" feature. Which would explain the need to attatch it to his arm. I dunno, just speculation.;)

Fett has never been a pegwarmer, and I don't think Jango will be an exception. A removable helmet feature would be AWESOME!:cool:

Kit Fisto looks like a cool character with lots of promise.:evil:

Obi-Wan, I've never cared much for those "gimicks", but that's just me.:crazed:

Plo Koon?! Still too early to tell anything with this guy.

Boba Fett, this kid could be the first Fett in history to warm pegs. I say this mainly because the armor was a big part of the appeal for Boba fans. Non-collectors and kids will not really associate this kid with being THE Boba Fett. I'm still having trouble with this myself.

Astromech, cool!:D Astromech's always sell well, and are always a welcome addition to any SW collection. R5-D4 being the HORRIBLE exception, let's all close our eyes and try to forget.:rolleyes:

Padme' (Laura Croft) Amidala (I thought it was Naberrie? hehehe) First Slave Leia now this. I think GL may have hidden BONDAGE issues.:D

Shaak Ti, this character looks a little cartoonish to me, and not just the figure, the actual character.

Tusken Raider (Mother and Child) Obscure background characters? Hopefully, it looks like we will be seeing more of the famous Tatooine. This is a bit unusual for SW. George usually stays away from going to the same location in movies back to back like that.:confused: But we've known that Tatooine would be part of EP2 for a while now.:(

Captain Typho, I love removable helmets.:D As for the rest, well I'll just have to wait and see.

As for issues with articulation, this has been a constant plague for Hasbro. The original POTF2 line had a standard 6 points of articulation. EP1 brought about the ocassional added point or two. It would seem that by now Hasbro would have found what works.

We are seeing added arm articulation, elbows, wrists, sometimes ball-shoulder-joints. But for some reason the knee articulation is not done as often. I fail to see why. If they can give a small character like Anakin (Mechanic) knee articulation they should be able to do so with just about everyone. Heck, swimming Jar-Jar even had ankle articulation.

Anyhow.......just my 2 cents.:Pirate:

LTBasker
01-06-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
(it's a play on words, get it? "Aisle" instead of "Isle"??? Because they're found on the... toy aisl... oh forget it! You people are just philistines!!! :crazed: ;) )

Well now I'm ok with those jokes I put in my reviews. :D :happy:

JonoFett
01-06-2002, 11:33 AM
What many of us dislike most are the poses Hasbro has ridiculously given to many of these initial wave characters; they are starkly reminiscent of the Lando Calrissian in Generals uniform. Ugly! The "legs-spread" stance looks totally pathetic and displays poorly.

I would only hope they address these concerns and continue with the style seen in the POTJ line.

AreTwo-DeeTwo
01-06-2002, 12:29 PM
Finally some decent pictures to look at. I have not been to SirSteves in a long time. Anyway here is my opinion so far on the Ep2 figs. Probably like a bunch of other people I am really disappointed on how some of these are turning out. Mainly the leg stances on almost each figure. I don't understand why they are in such dynamic, goofy looking stances. Remind me of the POTF Lando General figure (1995 +). Most of them look like they are coming out of comic book instead of a live action film. I say that because comic characters are usually drawn in a dynamic action stance.

Jango Fett - Obviously disappointed with the lack of articulation. I was just assuming it would be articulated like the commtech stormtrooper but even better someway. I do not like how the legs are posed in that locked position. On the upside it certainly looks much like Jango.

Anakin - I have mixed feelings about the telescoping lightsaber. I was a little kid when the original SW figs came out. I really liked that feature then. Mainly because it actually looked like the saber was igniting. The leg stance is odd looking. I do like the removable poncho. Like someone said above does Anakin actually do anything this dynamic with this wardrobe on? Hopefully the hair will not be yellow.

Obi-Wan - I don't have much to say about it. It looks like his right arm is going to be stuck in and odd position. I don't know what that sticklike accesory is. No, I don't mean the lightsaber. I don't have a problem with the droid accesory. Again I don't really like the leg stance.

Plo-Koon - Since it is a prototype can't say much. I don't know what he is doing in that position. I am not griping about it. I just don't know what he is doing. Again the leg stance is strange to me.

Kit-Fitso - I don't have much of a problem with except for the leg stance. I really just do not like the way the legs are done on almost each figure. Plus this fig looks like he is leaning backwards. Why?

Boba Fett - Actually like this one. Not bad at all in my opinion. I like the backpack. Maybe the wide leg stance bugs me.

Yellow Astromech Droid - Hey I really like this one! I can't say anything bad about it. Hard to goof up an astromech droid.

Padme - Ok. That right arm looks bad. The left hand what the hell? Again the leg stance is odd. I like the midriff showing though. The accesories are nice. I don't know what the 2 red things are supposed to be?

Shaak-Ti - I actually like and dislike this one. I know it looks like a big paperweight. Actually the character looks a bit to clownish. Definitely different. But oh well. Zero articulation which sucks.

Tusken Female and Child - I don't have a problem with this one at all yet. Mainly because the legs are not posed in some odd *** way.

Captain Typho - I could care less about the character. Its an ok figure. I simply have zero interest in it.

Zam Wessel - I probably like this figure the most. Again no stupid leg stance going on. I really like the long rifle. Hopefully the veil is removable. Does not look like it though.

Lord Tenebrous
01-06-2002, 01:45 PM
I think it's natural for us to criticize these. It's just like another famous cycle...Stages of the Loss Process...for action figures:

#1: Denial

"These can't be the figures in 2002, they just can't be."

#2: Bargaining

"I could strike a deal with Hasbro, something has to be done about these figures."

#3: Anger

"Hasbro sucks! I'm not spending money on this poodoo."

#4: Despair

"My collecting days are over, there's nothing to look forward to for Star Wars."

#5 Acceptance

"Maybe they're not so bad after all. I mean, Padme is pretty cute."

* We can be growing in acceptance and still experience denial, bargaining, anger, and despair.

* Peer support from strangers is often the best way for a person to deal with this process.

Oh, the life of a collector is forever an adventure in patience...

Tycho
01-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Lord Tenebrous, first: I completely agree with you.

You are a practicing clinical pychiatrist? Sure sounds like it. These forums badly need you!

Please report to the Jedi Starfighter thread.

"We need a DOCTOR in here!!!!"

JonoFett
01-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
I think it's natural for us to criticize these. It's just like another famous cycle...Stages of the Loss Process...for action figures:

#1: Denial

"These can't be the figures in 2002, they just can't be."

#2: Bargaining

"I could strike a deal with Hasbro, something has to be done about these figures."

#3: Anger

"Hasbro sucks! I'm not spending money on this poodoo."

#4: Despair

"My collecting days are over, there's nothing to look forward to for Star Wars."

#5 Acceptance

"Maybe they're not so bad after all. I mean, Padme is pretty cute."

* We can be growing in acceptance and still experience denial, bargaining, anger, and despair.

* Peer support from strangers is often the best way for a person to deal with this process.

Oh, the life of a collector is forever an adventure in patience... Does this analysis of the situation best describe your feelings on seeing Hasbro's 2002 showcase? For me, the overwelming impression is one of absolute incredulity: I mean, figures and toys in general are meant to evolve into something better, not become items of ridicule and displeasure. The marketplace is composed of collectors and kids alike, therefore a balance must be struck that satisfies the demands from both sectors, not merely pander to just one.

If these prototypes demonstrate anything it is that Hasbro/Kenner has a very short memory when it comes to product flops; I refer of course to the "He-Man" spin-offs that was the first POTF2 Red carded releases. Crap incarnate. :)

mylow thehutt
01-06-2002, 07:08 PM
:mad:Oh my god. all of you should just chill,i mean ok the figures look bad now, but they will get better,i was reading in some of the other posts and you guys are comming down on hasbro with an iron fist,:( people saying they suck,i wont collect starwars anymore,real faith guys, the ep1 line stunk and it got better din't it.WEll sorry hasbro for the mean and nasty,but i'm still in. i was born a starwars collector and will die a starwars collector:D

AMEN

Wolfwood319
01-06-2002, 07:49 PM
I don't think we need to "chill" at all. I admit I've only seen the prototypes mostly, paint jobs aside, they look like crap. Unless the real figure is completely different I won't buy any of the AOTC stuff, or any other SW stuff that is designed in the same fashion.

If I don't like it, I'm not gonna buy it. That seems to be the general consensus here. Just because it says Star Wars on it, doesn't mean I'm going to buy it.

Hasbro needs to know how we feel about the new products, because if we don't like them, and we don't buy them, Hasbro will lose money. Hasbro does not need the Star Wars action figure line to remain a profitable company, but at this point I think they're purposely trying to get rid of it.

My money will be going to other things besides Star Wars in 2002.

derek
01-06-2002, 08:56 PM
hasbro shouldn't attempt to appeal to kids with crappy gimicks and childish features. they should attempt to please the collector market. we're the ones with disposable income. we keep this hobby afloat. we're the ones who have the cash to buy this stuff, not some eight year old who has to beg his parents for the stuff. besides, if we think it's cool, so will the kids. if the stuff is geared towards children, the collectors will be alienated.

Beast
01-06-2002, 09:17 PM
I think my new signature perfectly states how myself and alot of you feel. But, I'm optimistic, Remember the first assortmant of E1 figures weren't that great either. But even the assortment after it improved the sculpts, poses, and paintjobs a ton.

I guess I'll wait, after all the Slave 1 and the Jedi Starfighter look good. And some of the figures arn't to bad. I'll give Hasbro the benefit of the doubt, until I see the real stuff on the pegs.

Now I see why Hasbro hates for Prototype pictures to slip out, they always seem to be disapointing in some way, but yet the actual release is fine. So, I'll hope and pray that these are early prototypes, or that the next assortments won't be so bad.

Jayspawn
01-06-2002, 09:45 PM
They SUCK!!!

derek
01-06-2002, 10:05 PM
the quality of the initial episode 1 line is not relevant here. that was 3 years ago. the quality of merchandise should be vastly improved by now. we shouldn't have to wait unti early 2003 for decent episode 2 stuff.:greedy:

Beast
01-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by derek
the quality of the initial episode 1 line is not relevant here. that was 3 years ago. the quality of merchandise should be vastly improved by now. we shouldn't have to wait unti early 2003 for decent episode 2 stuff.:greedy:

How is it not relevent, each new line has been the same way. The original 1995 POFT2 series 1 was bad, thankfully the next release (Luke X-Wing, Lando, and Boba Fett) were tons better, and shortly after that they got great.

The first figures in original deluxe line (Luke, Han, Stormtrooper) were bad, yet a while later they gave us the cool Hoth Rebel Soldier and Imperial Snowtrooper. The first assortment of E1 was a disapointment, but the others were great. The first assortment of POTJ was bad (Anakin, Obi-Wan, R2-D2, and Maul) and yet the next assortment were tons better.

I expect nothing less then the usual with this line as well, remember the old saying..."The more things change, the more they stay the same." I expect the first waves to be sort of a disapointment, and then future waves to restore the faith

mylow thehutt
01-06-2002, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JarJarBinks

How is it not relevent, each new line has been the same way. The original 1995 POFT2 series 1 was bad, thankfully the next release (Luke X-Wing, Lando, and Boba Fett) were tons better, and shortly after that they got great.

The first figures in original deluxe line (Luke, Han, Stormtrooper) were bad, yet a while later they gave us the cool Hoth Rebel Soldier and Imperial Snowtrooper. The first assortment of E1 was a disapointment, but the others were great. The first assortment of POTJ was bad (Anakin, Obi-Wan, R2-D2, and Maul) and yet the next assortment were tons better.

I expect nothing less then the usual with this line as well, remember the old saying..."The more things change, the more they stay the same." I expect the first waves to be sort of a disapointment, and then future waves to restore the faith

coudn't of said better myself:)

derek
01-06-2002, 11:13 PM
the sad thing is that you expect this practice to continue. i don't mean that as an insult, but no one would accept this in any other industry. would you line up if intel announced they were releasing the pentium 2 chip again, with a promise to improve later? no you wouldn't and we shouldn't have to for the episode 2 line.

this initial wave of figures should be a step forward. as of now they are not. hopefully the line will survive long enough for hasbro to correct their mistakes. i know for damn sure i won't be buying the anakin, obi-wan, padme, and jango we've seen. and those are the characters i want. my days of buying everything hasbro tosses out the door are over.

hasbro knows what we want. highly detailed, highly articulated figures with no resculpts. we've been saying this for years, but they don't listen.

sith_killer_99
01-06-2002, 11:23 PM
Actually, Intel is still mass producing the Celeron chip which is infrior to the new P4 chip. Not to mention they are working on improving the P3!

Sorry, I just had to say it, it was out there and I just had to say it.:D

derek
01-07-2002, 02:27 AM
my analogy may not be perfect, but the episode 2 merchandise is the flagship line for hasbro. it should be the best they have to offer. they can save their crap for jurassic park and titan a.e. and market to children with monsters, inc.
episode 2 is their bread and butter, just like the pentium 4 is for intel. i may be wrong, but dosen't intel produce their lower quality chip as a competor to AMD?

releasing inferior product is no way to compete with matelle, mc spawn or jacks or whomever.

JonoFett
01-07-2002, 07:22 AM
In short, they promised us RealScan, they assured us of quality, they guaranteed a great product, now look what has emerged. Crap!

People whine about acceptance of Hasbro's work, and that we all should take "chill-out" pills by the dozen to avoid profound over-reactions, but the stark reality of this situation remains - WE ARE THE CONSUMERS, WE HAVE A VOICE e.g. Fan's Choice figure - chosen by a ballot, and WE VOTE WITH OUR WALLETS.:) Take notice and rethink...

JEDIpartner
01-07-2002, 11:45 AM
The sculpts remind me of the vintage Micro-series: One pose figures that you could do NOTHING with other than just have stand around looking "active". Terrible... just terrible.

S3PO
01-07-2002, 06:18 PM
I agree with JEDIpartnr. These things are just like the Micro-series and what happened to that line- cancelled after only 3 sets and 4 vehicles. Kids didn't want to play with them and parents were not going to spend money on the smaller line while buying the 3 3/4 line. I'd rather have figures like the vintage line with 5 standard points of articulation and with cloth/vinyl robes than these one pose figures.

DahrJin
01-07-2002, 06:23 PM
After seeing the pictures of some of the figures slated for EP II I must say I'm not impressed. Real Scan or not, they just look lousy.

The one OB-1 figure doesn't even hold a saber. The saber seems to have a small peg on it that fits into a hole in the hand...how lame is this?

As soon as I find the image I will try and post it here.

Obi-Don
01-07-2002, 07:46 PM
If the one pose is the new thing then yes,they will suck. But, I think I will hold my opinion until they are on the market.

INDIANA
01-08-2002, 07:50 AM
For those of us that have read the plot, doesn't Anakin wear that outfit in THE scene on Tatooine where he does use a lightsaber?

Hope I haven't spoiled too much.

Tycho
01-08-2002, 10:35 AM
No. Just before THE scene you refer to on Tatooine is the swoop bike scene when he's riding in the desert and the trailer voice-over says "Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi EVER!"

He wears the outfit you see worn by the action figure shown while in transit from Coruscant to Naboo, and upon his arrival on Naboo. During this time he should be "undercover" so as to not draw attention to himself (as being a Jedi) or to Padme (as being a public figure - especially on a flight to Naboo).

Then again, I lost my trailers I downloaded when my computer had to be restored, and I'm waiting for my friend to bring the CD that I burned for HIM! back over here so I can just file-transfer them in 3 hours less time than it takes to get them with a 56K modem... so I forgot: is he wearing a poncho that's blowing in the wind while he's on the swoop? Please watch "Forbidden Love" before answering. Thanks.

bigbarada
01-08-2002, 02:04 PM
It looks like he's just wearing his standard Jedi outfit while he's on the speeder.

Tycho
01-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Thanks Barada. And then that brings me to the conclusion that unless there's something we don't know about, the Anakin Freighter figure does not need to come with a lightsaber (or any weapons).

The possiblities otherwise:

An alien or human trouble-maker hits on Padme during their flight.

or

A bounty hunter is actually on board the ship with them (a cool possibility but certain characters we know about are already dead or should be on Kamino during the time the Anakin and Padme are in transit.

As it's not a spoiler since we know Jango tangles with Obi-Wan on Kamino, could he be onboard the freighter? Even without his armor or in disguise? Would he have time to fail his mission (or was it his mission in the first place?) before going back to Kamino to be there when Obi-Wan arrives?

Some of that depends on how far away is Kamino from Naboo or Coruscant? Does Anakin ever tangle with Jango? Or is it just Obi-Wan and another Jedi? (we know who that character is and what he does already - we're just discussing Jango's location - and if he could be on the freighter.)

Meanwhile, it's a lot of trouble to go to for a figure if all Anakin does is draw his saber on some "Ponda Baba surrogate knock-off" that brushes Padme the wrong way. The principle points behind the scenes on that freighter are to discuss their relationship, which doesn't require Anakin in a spread-eagle stance (does it?).

INDIANA
01-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Isn't he wearing the poncho when they meet up with Watto? And isn't he wearing the thing is the still that shows him taking directions from the Jawa while on the swoop? Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will).

Jargo
01-08-2002, 06:55 PM
On Tatooine he wears his black and maroon leather duds and the usual brown Jedi robe/cloak. Both to meet with Watto and on the swoop bike.
On the journey from Coruscant to naboo Theed palace he wears the embroidered waistcoat and poncho we see on the figure.
On naboo he wears a simple long sleeved open neck top.

if these are just prototypes then the asaber feature could have been a test to see how it would sit with George and lucas licensing. it may not have been intended as a feature for Anakin but as a more general feature on other figures. It's just that Anakin ended up being the figure they tested it on. Look at those red blast deflection accessories, they first turned up on a test for the deluxe figures of episode one - Qui-Gon vs battle droid. And now they turn up as likely accessories for episode two figures. It wouldn't be the first time these toys had had stufff shown with them in test shots that never got used in production.

And doesn't it seem odd that the report the other day about different collections mentioned one pose figures being intended for collectors and the more neutral posed figures being intended for kids? Seems like the designers of the toys are just creating figures they want on their own display shelves. Either that or Hasbro have read the collector market really badly, cuz no-one round here seems to want any of these figure whatsoever.

I liked what i saw in the detailing on the figures. Not sure I like the swirling skirts and fabric though. I didn't like that about maul from the episode one cinema scenes and I don't like it now.

The accessory that comes with Anakin according to that pic is a small unit from the freighter with a fold down viewscreen. Kinda like a tabletop/laptop computer sort of thing. Kinda cool accessory don't you think? :happy:

bigbarada
01-08-2002, 07:22 PM
And here I thought it was a futuristic footlocker.:)

Remember how many times Luke drew his saber in ANH? A grand total of two times, the rest of the time he used a blaster; but that didn't stop Kenner from grafting a lightsaber into his arm.

Hasbro may realize that kids don't necessarily want a perfectly movie accurate figure, just a figure that's fun to play with. However, kids also appreciate good sculpting and likenesses, they just don't bang on about it all the time.