PDA

View Full Version : I'm quiting and want to donate my collection to charity

Darth Mina
03-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I need advic I am quiting collecting, and I want to donate my toys to a charity, what I cant decide is if I should sell it and give the money or simply donate the toys to a program like toys for tots. I want my collection used to make kids happy which way would any of you go.... Thank you in advance for your help. ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-21-2005, 05:07 PM
It all depends on how much patience you have. If you want to go through the shipping and packaging of your stuff and you don't mind waiting a bit, I would say yes. Besides, I think charity would appreciate the money more because they could do more with it.

At the same time, if you don't have the energy to do all of the above, then driving down to the goodwill might be a better option. I would know many children would enjoy seeing the multitude of toys we have in our collections.

Whatever you are doing, you are doing a good deed either way.

Ji'dai
03-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I doubt that the toys would sell for what you originally paid for them. If your toys are unopened, I would just give them to toys for tots. I'd donate complete loose toys to Goodwill.

Still if you're just suffering from burn-out, you might want to consider just packing every thing up and putting it into storage. "Out of sight, out of mind." You may come back to the hobby some day and regret giving away your collection.

Darth Mina
03-21-2005, 05:25 PM
I have doubles of all the figures from 95-now. open and MOC and I do feel burnout but I dont think I would want to comeback and find out that all I missed are Re-painted and Re-packed figures as the past two years have been.

dindae
03-22-2005, 01:15 PM
While not in the charity frame of mind if you give the toys up to charity then you declare the collections book value rather than the actual cash value as a tax deduction. Now you can always do some of both. Sell the higher priced items/card variations if you have them for the cash and then donate that and the lesser value figures. My thinking is that a kid that can't afford figures is not going to get that excited over an Ephant Mon since he doesn't have the other figures to support it but you could give the money he would get on ebay. On the flip side a POTF2 Han that might go for $2 if your lucky on ebay would be better as a toy since a kid could play with this figure solo. (sorry couldn't help the pun :D).

kool-aid killer
03-22-2005, 02:15 PM
I think Dindae has an excellent idea, the ones that you can get a better cash value for, sell on ebay and give that money to a charity, and figures that wouldnt move at all just donate. That way you do a little of both. I applaud you for wanting to help out a worthy cause.

Hellboy
03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Well I agree it is a noble thing you're attempting to do, however I wouldn't donate any of it to Goodwill. If all you're looking for is a tax write-off then this might be a reasonable option but it sounds like you're more interested in giving your collection to someone who would appreciate it, namely kids. Goodwill will just sell your collection in one of their stores, that is if there is any of it left after their employees rifle through it. Sorry if I sound like I'm bashing Goodwill but I have trouble supporting any supposed "non-profit charity group" that pays it's CEOs a 7 figure salary after bonuses. I'd lean more towards selling your collection yourself and donating it to a cause of your choice or going with the Toys for Tots option with the packaged stuff and giving the loose collection to some other non-profit group that focuses on children. Just my 2 cents though, good luck with whatever option you choose and I'm sorry to hear you're throwing in the towel. :)

Turbowars
03-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Just like that Mina? Man you were buying cases not to long ago. At least it was fun while it lasted right? As long as I get that Hoth Luke error card from you I don't care what you do. J/K I think you should give the figures to Toys for tots. That's the best. Oh and I'm not kidding about the Hoth Luke.:) LMK

Bobby Fett
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Mina,

Sorry to hear you're giving up the chase. :(

Goodwill and the Salvation Army don't give toys to kids - they sell toys to kids.

In no particular order I would suggest:

Toys for Tots
Children's hospitals
Ronald McDonald House
Children's burn units
Children's cancer units

Churches, the Shriners and some motorcycle groups also have toys for kids programs.

Hope this helps.

Darth Mina
03-22-2005, 11:31 PM
:D I'm not looking for a Tax deduction, but thanks any ways for the advice. I think I will just wait until X-mas this year and donate to toys for tots during the peak of the season. I would donate it to the ronald house ,but having worked for MCD I know that employees will probably pick the best toys for themselves without paying a cent for them no thanks. Toys for tots it is.
Oh by the by Matt you do get that error luke I did promised to you And You will get it :D

sith_killer_99
03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Toys for Tots is an excellent idea!

BTW, since you are interested in giving away toys to kids my daughter has been looking for a US carded FF Weequay. :D ;) :crazed:

stillakid
03-23-2005, 11:12 AM
I have a couple other ideas:

1) it might be a little more work, but you could carry around random "handfuls" of figures and just randomly hand them out to unsuspecting children at the mall or grocery store or wherever you go. To not come off like a freak, make sure that their parent is standing there when you do it. :)

2) give the collection to the 501st (www.501st.com). They go to places like hospitals where children perk up upon seeing a "real" Stormtrooper. If they had a supply of free toys to hand out, it would help make their sick lives a little bit better.

But sorry to hear that you're hanging it up. BTW, what ever happened with your license plate?

Kidhuman
03-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear Mina. TFT is great for that. Or you could donate to the Kidhuman needs more figures charity. :beard:

GOod luck in your endevours.

OC47150
03-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Sorry to hear that.

A children's hospital or a women's shelter might be good places for the loose items. With the shelters, women and kids leave with only the clothes on their backs.

Clonetrooper630
03-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Wow Mina just as I join this nice group of people you decide to quit:cry: . I wish you well and thank you for letting me know about this community.
Good Luck. (knowing you we'll see you soon):p

InsaneJediGirl
03-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I have to agree with OC47150,a battered women's and childrens shelter sounds like one of your best bets,considering what they have gone through.Children's hosptial through the 501st is a awesome idea as well.If you have a large enough collection you could always split it between the two.

Nice of you to think of others instead of just pocketing the cash from selling it Mina :D

Turbowars
06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
:D Oh by the way Matt you do get that error luke I did promised to you And You will get it :DStill waiting.;)