PDA

View Full Version : Where are you buying toys on April 2nd?

JediTricks
03-21-2005, 09:26 PM
April 2nd, 2005, is the official release of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith merchandise across the country. Lego and Hasbro have large amounts of ROTS products already in store warehouses waiting for the big release date. Some stores will be doing another "Midnight Madness" opening on April 1st while others will open their stores at regular hours but with special events. 2 chains even have their own exclusive Hasbro figures which will go on sale that day and supplies of which are already expected to dry up quickly. Some stores are even giving out coupons and other price incentives to convince Star Wars collectors to buy the swag there and save a few bucks.

So which chain are you expecting to focus on for your toy-buying needs this April 2nd?

Rocketboy
03-21-2005, 10:36 PM
TRU for sure.
It's become a tradition of sorts.
:D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm going wally world all the awy on this one. They got the far lower prices, more stores i can run around to and i'll get my employee discount, which i'll DEFINATELY need. Should be a fun night though!! Midnight Madness, here i come! :D

Bobby Fett
03-21-2005, 11:24 PM
I voted for "Other".

I'll hit Wally World(s) at midnight,
Target at 8:00 am,
then TRU (if necessary),
then K-Mart (if necessary),
then KayBee (if necessary),
and finally, Shopko (if necessary).

If I hit'em all, it'll be about 275 miles.

Whew! :crazed:

darko666
03-21-2005, 11:30 PM
i think i will hit target first just so i can get the exclusive Vader(lava) figure. but i usually go to TRU. i used to work there, so i have a friend that is going to hold all the figures for him and me. it's good to know people.

BigBuck71
03-22-2005, 12:33 AM
I'll try to get to Target the morning of April 2 to get my claim ticket for the Lava Darth Vader exclusive. But, I'm sure I'll go by my two Wal-Mart Supercenters in town and get some things on the Midnight Madness sale on April 1. Then, I'll hit the one Toys 'R Us store in town last. So it will go like this for me:
1. Wal-Mart Supercenter #1 - midnight madness
2. WM Supercenter #2 - midnight madness
3. Target - morning of April 2 for Lava Darth Vader exclusive
4. Toys 'R Us for any other things I didn't find at the above stores that I want.

Slicker
03-22-2005, 02:28 AM
I'll be hitting TRU, WM, and Target but since I'll hit TRU first and spend the most money there that's what I voted for. I'll go there for the MM, then at 8 head over to Target for the exclusive Vader, then possibly later in the afternoon go to WM to get whatever I may need or just to check out the tent sale.

2-1B
03-22-2005, 03:29 AM
I'm doing Wal-Mart in my own town at midnight, then if I feel ambitious I will travel north for an hour and 15 minutes to the Target where my sister works to get that Vader but if I'm too tired, she'll coup one for me anyway. :D

Hey JT, what's the other exclusive ? I only know of the Targy figgie . . .

Kidhuman
03-22-2005, 06:14 AM
I am hitting Target for Lava Vadetr then heading to WM for the rest.

Slicker
03-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Hey JT, what's the other exclusive ? I only know of the Targy figgie . . .This is JT's twin brother except that I look alot better, am taller, and I decided to stay in the womb for 6 years longer.;) Just letting you know that the other exclusive is the TRU Holo Yoda.

dindae
03-22-2005, 07:39 AM
I'm going wally world all the awy on this one. They got the far lower prices, more stores i can run around to and i'll get my employee discount, which i'll DEFINATELY need. Should be a fun night though!! Midnight Madness, here i come! :D

Rebelscum had the prices for TRU which are now on par with Wal-Mart.

"Direct from the mainframe, ROTS pricing . . .

59681 STAR WARS E3 BASIC FIG 5.99
59689 STAR WARS E3 BASIC FIG2 5.99
60000 STAR WARS E3 ACTION FIG 9.99
56941 STAR WARS E3 BATTLE VEH 14.99
62647 STAR WARS E3 GUNSHIP VEH 29.99
62666 STAR WARS E3 MUSTAFAR PLS 29.99
53772 STAR WARS DLX FIGURE 12.99
61074 STAR WARS 3E BATTLE ARENA 19.99
76071 STAR WARS HOLOGRAPHIC (HOLO YODA, FREE W/ $35 PURCHASE)
123762 STAR WARS EVOLUTION FIG 19.99
60035 STAR WARS E3 12IN FIG 19.99
60008 STAR WARS E3 12IN D. VADER 44.99
55260 SW E3 CASE W/ ATTACKTIX 16.99
55074 SW E3 ATTACKTIX BOOSTER 7.99
55155 SW E3 ATTACKTIX STARTER 9.99
123778 STAR WARS 500TH D VADER 16.99 "

And I believe Target also lowered their price to around $5.88 range. Since I will be getting the Yoda TRU will get my business. But if they don't have all the figures I need I will be hitting Target in the morning for my Vader.

Val Da Car
03-22-2005, 09:12 AM
TRU Midnight
WM #1 (24hr) 1am
WM #2 (opens @ 6am)
Target #1 6:30-7am
Target #2 9am

Sleep @ 11am

unlikely, though

jedi master sal
03-22-2005, 10:13 AM
TRU Midnight
WM #1 (24hr) 1am
WM #2 (opens @ 6am)
Target #1 6:30-7am
Target #2 9am

Sleep @ 11am

unlikely, though

Ha ha, that's about the same schedule for me, accept add in three more Wal*Marts.

I'm hitting:
TRU Midnight (for exclusive Yoda)
WM #1 (24hr) right after TRU
WM #2-5 in subsequent order after one another
Target 6:30-7am

Go out for breakfast, then sleep.

I'm not only dragging along my fiancee, but her sis and sis's fiancee along to help me out. Her sis will be the cart watcher, while me, my fiancee and her sis's fiancee will look fo figs. Since I'm only out for a particular few, it shouldn't be too hard. Wal*Marts 2-5, are only optional should I not find what I want at TRU and the first Wal*Mart. Target is obviously for the exclusive Lava Vader. Afterwards, I'm taking them all out for breakfast as a thank you. Then rest I will need....earned it, I will have...(to paraphrase our favorite diminunative Jedi Master)

2-1B
03-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks Slick, oh man does this ever change things . . . ah screw it, my TRU sucks anyway so if I want the Yoda that bad I'll pay a scalper.

Ric Olie
03-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Walmart because I have not other choice. The nearest Target is an hour and a half away from where I live.

Bobby Fett
03-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Walmart because I have not other choice. The nearest Target is an hour and a half away from where I live.

You have to be tough! My nearest Target is two hours away, but I'll be there at 8:00. :(

Ji'dai
03-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I'll be going to Wal-Mart first since they are the cheapest. I'll probably check out TRU afterwards. I doubt I'm going to buy much more than the villains and army builders this time around. The other figures will likely languish on the pegs for the next six months so I'll wait for sale/clearance time.

The nearest Target is a good hour's drive away. Since I'm not going at midnight to shop for toys I'm sure as hell not going to drive 100 miles just for an exclusive figure.

Hellboy
03-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I'll be hitting as many as five 24 hr. Wal-Marts to get the figures I want starting at midnight. Then come morning its off to the only TRU in my area that doesn't participate in MM to snag the exclusive Yoda since they should have a fresh supply and then I'll hit one of the many Targets in this area to get the exclusive Vader. My route is designed to take advantage of people going to the official TRU MM so I can avoid the majority of the crowds. So technically I'll be hitting all of the three major retailers but the majority of my cash will be given to Wal-Mart.

bobafrett
03-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Wal-Mart: 1)Because I work there
2) I can use my 10% discount (and on $500, that's a lot of savings)
3) I have to be there at 7 am. April 2nd
4) No time that day to shop the other stores, straight from Wal-Mart to my
second job.

JediTricks
03-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Also, Wal-mart has the 2nd wave of Titaniums which is exclusive to them, so I guess each major chain gets an exclusive of sorts.

I'll be hitting TRU again, probably Monrovia if they're doing it there because it's where I went last time. I actually got a certificate for going to MM1 at TRU, it's pretty cool, so it has become a tradition almost. Plus, since I am not planning on buying a lot of basic figures, it won't be a huge deal to me.

Astromech
03-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Get this sick-o schedule:
I get home from work at 4:30AM, sleep for 3 hrs, get up and be at Target by 8AM for my Lava Vader, then hit the other three Targets within an hour of my house and see if I get lucky.
THEN go to work from 10:30AM-4PM, then off to Wally World and two TRUs near my place for possible Yodas.
THEN off to a small local comic shop that sells AFs who is having a 75% off Star Wars sale to see what he has left.

No rest for the addicted!!!!
Ahhh, what we do for our toys............

Mad Slanted Powers
03-23-2005, 07:45 PM
I don't think anyone around here is having Midnight Madness of any kind. I'll go to Target first thing if they are having that exclusive figure. Normally I would go to Wal-Mart first since they are cheaper. I suppose I could get the exclusive figure, and then go to Wal-Mart, and then come back to Target if I can't find everything. They are not too far apart. I hate the Wal-Mart parking lot though, especially this time of year when the row I would prefer to park is blocked off with garden stuff. Going this early though may not be too bad though. Unless TRU opens early, it may not be open before I am done with the other two places. I may wait around until it opens though if they have the exclusive Yoda.

Lord Irritated
03-24-2005, 04:52 PM
After the last two movies, I have learned that standing in line for two hours to buy toys that will be marked down 50 to 75% within a few months is not worth my time. Believe me, I'm a huge SW's fan and still have all of my toys from the original trilogy, but after buying toys from the last two movies only to find that I can get them for next to nothing months later has kind of ruined my joy in heading out to MM.

sith_killer_99
03-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, I didn't vote. Mostly because with all the exclusives I will be buying from several different stores.

Hellboy
03-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I think most of us are in the same boat as you SK99. You could always vote for the store you think you're going to be spending the most at, thats what I did. :)

Slicker
03-24-2005, 05:40 PM
What I wanna know is who is the K-Mart employee on the boards that was the only one to vote for K-Mart?:D;)

BTW, if you sprinkle a little Oregon on your hamburger it tastes marvelous.

CooLJoE
03-26-2005, 06:11 AM
Well, my original plan was to go to Wal-Mart for MM, but if my TRU is doing MM, I'll go there instead (gotta get the exclusive Yoda). I doubt the local Target is doing MM, so I'll hit that place in the morning for the exclusive Vader.

The exclusives, Aayla Secura, Clone Troopers, and a Clone Trooper Blaster are my main objectives. After that its all the basic figs, chess game, 12", unleashed, etc.

mastermatt24
03-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Beings that TRU is going to be selling the yoda after MM I think I have no need to even bother with MM. Ill go to two targets in the morning, WM and then TRU.

ndjedi
03-26-2005, 09:28 PM
First thing before MM, I'm off to the Evil Galatic Empire aka Wal-Mart for their kick off of ROTS sales at 12:01 am, I plan to buy mostly everything there cuz its cheaper! Then I will go early to Target for their Lava Vader only, then its off to my local TRU, since they are not having a MM, where i'll just buy the Holo Yoda.

It's gonna be one expensive day!

6 more days and counting!

vadersvette
03-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know...
-When exactly is Target handing out the tickets for the Vader? I've heard at midnight and at eight :confused: :confused:
-And will the TRU Yoda be available later in the day as well as midnight?
-And will Wall-Fart have the Vader case with the Anakin and clone available later as well?
Any help here would be hot :crazed: -oh God, I quotin' JJBinks-shoot me now

stillakid
03-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I put "other" because I still have an order in with KEBco. With any luck, I'll actually get that stuff. :rolleyes:

But I haven't made my mind up yet whether I'm going to geek-out and stand in line for the Target exclusive. I mean, I have every intention on getting it by hook or by crook (in line or Scalper-Bay), but I always feel like showering after admitting that kind of geekiness in such a public way. :sur: It's bad enough of late saying that I like Star Wars, what with the Prequel mess and all, but actually standing in line in the dark for toys does seem to cross some line somewhere.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-27-2005, 02:05 AM
I always feel like showering after admitting that kind of geekiness in such a public way. :sur: It's bad enough of late saying that I like Star Wars, what with the Prequel mess and all, but actually standing in line in the dark for toys does seem to cross some line somewhere.

You must learn to embrace the prequels! Also consider that most people would probably have thought you were nuts if you waited in line for Episode I toys. This was before the "Prequel mess" was revealed. I actually remember seeing a story on the news when the Episode I toys were released. I thought it was pretty crazy and I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I was not yet collecting at that point. I'd be more likely to skip midnight madness because I wouldn't want to fight the crowd.

stillakid
03-27-2005, 09:42 AM
You must learn to embrace the prequels! Also consider that most people would probably have thought you were nuts if you waited in line for Episode I toys. This was before the "Prequel mess" was revealed. I actually remember seeing a story on the news when the Episode I toys were released. I thought it was pretty crazy and I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I was not yet collecting at that point. I'd be more likely to skip midnight madness because I wouldn't want to fight the crowd.

Naw, I think Episode I was different. We had "just" come off of a great trilogy of films and expected something at least on par if not better than those originals. Plus, all of us old-timers were excited at the possibility of continuing our collections from the early days. It was a time of joyful anticipation...

Then the bottom fell out. Aside from the fanatics, the general public reacted to TPM with a collective :neutral: . So anyone publicly admitting to actually liking the film was thought to be :crazed: . And anyone who would actually buy merchandise from it...rephrase...any 20-40 year old who would actually buy TOYS for themselves based on TPM got a :rolleyes: . Toss in the prospect of standing outside in the middle of the night for them and suddenly all bets are off.

I still get the occassional comment like "you still collect that stuff? But those movies are so BAD." I can't really answer it because I agree. It's a sickness. Call me :crazed: . But I've invested so much time so far and we're in the home stretch, so I'd like to amass a complete collection instead of giving up now. I think that's what happened to so many of us in the '80s when the POTF coin figures came out. Now we're trying to avoid the same regret even if the movies are disappointing.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-27-2005, 12:14 PM
I guess my point is that outside of the Star Wars community, most people probably thought that the adults rushing to buy toys were rather silly. I'm a Star Wars fan and sort of thought the same way when I saw the story on the news showing all the people buying stuff at Midnight Madness. Of course, being a Star Wars fan, it kind of made me think of starting to collect.

With all the disappointment in the prequel films from fans, critics and average moviegoers alike, Star Wars may not seem as cool as it once was. Add to that the short attention spans people have today and all the other distractions, Star Wars is just like any other movie. People will look forward to seeing it, watch it, enjoy it (or not), and then move on to something else. Most people don't obsess over a movie, no matter how great it was. They have more important things to spend their time and money on.

kool-aid killer
03-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I think Target is going to get most of my dollars, if only because im aiming for the exclusive Vader. I do plan on spending a decent amount at Walmart once i leave Target, and TRU will get the probably around $30 at MM. I have no plans to visit Kmart.

Darth Alex
03-28-2005, 06:23 PM
In NE PA, it's looking like Walmart will be the place to be at midnight as TRU has decided against (stupid, stupid, stupid) having midnight sales in both Wilkes-Barre and Dickson City.
I was really looking forward to the Holo Yoda, but according to WB, we're not getting it day 1 anyway, so that 10th thing is fer real.
Walmart will have the best price around these parts and will have their layaway open special, so it's really not much of a decision-a non-brainer, if ya will....

plasticfetish
03-29-2005, 12:38 AM
I had to think about it for a few days, but I voted Toys"R"Us. My kid is on spring break, so we'll both be staying up, hitting Starbucks (for coffee and cocoa) and then driving over to our local TRU to see what's up. Chances are good that we'll never see another promo event like this again, so live it up I say.

There really should be an "all" choice though, because I think we'll try and hit Target and Wal*Mart the next morning just to see what's going on.

I still get the occasional comment like "you still collect that stuff? But those movies are so BAD."Bring a kid along, and you can always say, "Hey I'm just here for the kid." (Who BTW is entitled to get a coupon at Target Saturday morning for his/her own Lava Vader figure. ;) )

DarthBrandon
03-29-2005, 12:48 AM
I voted TRU, but my first stop is Zellers (equivalent to Target) to pick up items already on hold through a friend. After that I hit TRU then Wal-Mart to pick up a few more items also stashed away. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Wal-Mart and TRU for sure on April 2nd. I never attended a Midnite Madness but I will be out in full force on Friday/Saturday. I won't have the energy to wait out at Target early in the morning just to get an exclusive figure.

Darth Meow
03-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I'll be shopping every store just to see what they've got and how it is arranged. I'm also looking forward to the Walmart 48 hour tentshow. Live it up folks, this is the last time retailers will ever go all out for Star Wars. Last movie--last toy blitz.

I hope I see a lot of happy kids of all ages with their toys--and I'm gonna be one of 'em!:D

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 03:35 PM
I got one of those Target coupons in the mail, I'm not buying many figures but it's enough to make me think twice about buying any figures at TRU during Midnight Madness. I think I may buy vehicles and such at TRU MM but save figures for Target the next day.

mastermatt24
03-31-2005, 05:56 PM
If I were you I would wait on the vechicles too so you can get yoda later when you buy them

sith_killer_99
03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Well, I went ahead and voted for Wal-Mart, since they have the best prices, they will get most of my money.

Though I will also be spending a few bucks at Target and TRU no doubt. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 06:38 PM
If I were you I would wait on the vechicles too so you can get yoda later when you buy them
I'll be honest, I don't care about any of the Hasbro exclusives this time around that much. I plan on avoiding Lava Vader unless it falls into my lap basically, avoiding the Early Bird kit because it seems like a big joke on collectors, and am fairly indifferent about the Yoda.

jedihunter25
03-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Does anyone have a list of what the price of figures are for each store? If so, please post them. A buck cheapier goes a long way when you are buying 40+ figures!!!!!!

mastermatt24
04-01-2005, 06:11 PM
This red is really weird...