PDA

View Full Version : "and he was a good friend."

2-1B
03-22-2005, 04:35 AM
Awhile back we had a discussion going somewhere about this line from Obi-Wan in ANH.

The idea was put forth that the prequels failed to illustrate this because of the strained relations between Ani and Obi in AOTC following their little amount of screentime together in TPM.

I think I came down on the side of saying that yes we DO see some "good friend" stuff but it could have been more solid, could have been done better.
Then again, I ALSO realized that there was a whole new movie yet to come so we should see what happens there.

My HOPE was that before Ani goes off with his Palpy-Worship, we could see these two as good friends, the kind of good friends Old Ben seems to remember so fondly.

Reading the new Insider last night (interview with Ewan McGregor, Issue 81 page 48) got me excited because that hope is very much alive:

In Revenge of the Sith we have a more brotherly relationship - but certainly older brother to younger brother - and I refer to Anakin as being like my brother.

In battle, we're still joking with one another and looking out for one another. Very often, Anakin is saving my bacon when I'm knocked unconscius or whatever.

We've made Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker have a bond that needs to be there in order to make the original trilogy work - that being the betrayal and that Obi-Wan has lost his best friend to the dark side.

I sure hope they were able to pull this off. :)

scruffziller
03-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Well this is certainly evident in the new Clone Wars Volume 2. I think they said that the guys doing the cartoon were able to see EPS 3 early so they could do these eps in reference to it. After Anikin is Knighted they are more like brothers, the way Obi described him in ANH. And it is certainly refreshing. I think GL is making sure he is doing the right thing in EPS 3. I think Stilla's faith or lack of in the PT may be salvaged.:)

Kidhuman
03-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Last night in the CW Cartoon showed them being good friends. More of the brotherly relationship he spoke of in ANH. I too hope this is exploited in ROTS.

2-1B
03-23-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm glad to hear that report, KH. :)

I'm moving this week so I didn't even bother with Volume 2 since I'll miss a few episodes anyway. I hope to catch up on Hyperspace when I get my new highspeed internet next week.

Scruff, what about YOUR faith ? Lately you seem to be on a kick of rah rah-ing stilla's anti-prequel posts, so I wonder where YOUR loyalties lie ? :evil:

Kidhuman
03-23-2005, 11:25 AM
I have em on DVR, if you dont get to see em. I could tape em for you. Also if you are around TV onSat. night, they are showing all 5 back to back on CN. from 8-9:30.

stillakid
03-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Yes, thank you for being concerned about my faith. :)

I just haven't had time this week to catch the new episodes, but I've got them on TIVO and I could watch them on SW.com as well when I get the chance. If these are anything like the last batch, the writing is far stronger than anything we've seen in Prequels. Too bad those guys couldn't have gotten a chance at the features.

scruffziller
03-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Scruff, what about YOUR faith ? Lately you seem to be on a kick of rah rah-ing stilla's anti-prequel posts, so I wonder where YOUR loyalties lie ? :evil:

Whoops, you got me there......:D
Yea, I guess for me I get to a point in all discussions on this site where I get weary of trying to prove my point and stand back and actually listen to what others have to say. In this case Stilla being a paramount forumite, if you actually absorb what he has to say without bias, he can show some scary truths and help you realize what the truth is whether its easy or hard to swallow. I wouldn't say that I see the prequels in a down light at the degree as Stilla's, but alot of that for me is watching it with childlike eyes cuz its SW.:D
But it seems I have adopted the ways of, "IF YOU CAN'T BEAT 'EM, JOIN 'EM!"

stillakid
03-23-2005, 10:33 PM
In this case Stilla being a paramount forumite,

Wow! Cool! Can I get a badge or a pin or something with that on it? :D

2-1B
03-24-2005, 12:44 AM
no stillakid, you get something more valuable - you have become Jim Jones to Scruffy. :crazed:

Jargo
03-24-2005, 07:13 AM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. I still think obi and ani were 'special' friends.

oh yeah, the prequels suck Mwuhahahahahahahahahahaha

*looks round furtively and ducks off swiftly*

scruffziller
03-24-2005, 09:19 AM
no stillakid, you get something more valuable - you have become Jim Jones to Scruffy. :crazed:

More or less.:p :D :Ponder:

stillakid
03-24-2005, 09:40 AM
More or less.:p :D :Ponder:

Here you go. lol

scruffziller
03-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Here you go. lol

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

:D

2-1B
05-20-2005, 01:12 AM
Well done Misters McGregor and Christensen, that opening battle bantering between the friends Ani and Obi was fantastic and very satisfying to me.
Great development on what we saw in AOTC while obviously leaving open the weakness in their friendship that would allow Anakin to disown Ben.

"Ahh! No loose wire jokes." is gonna be one of my fave quotes for years to come. :crazed:

Slicker
05-20-2005, 02:13 AM
You know when watching it I actually got a friendly connection between the two of them finally. It truly looked as if Obi-Wan and Ani were indeed the friends Ben talked about in ANH.

stillakid
05-20-2005, 02:32 AM
You know when watching it I actually got a friendly connection between the two of them finally. It truly looked as if Obi-Wan and Ani were indeed the friends Ben talked about in ANH.
I'll concur. :) But why did it take so long? What I mean is, why didn't we see any of this in AOTC?

But still, the relationship is pretty schizophrenic. Just as in AOTC, Anakin keeps claiming that Obi is like a father and he loves him et al, but in the next breath, he blames the guy for "holding him back." I still don't get it. He has repeatedly admitted that he is being irrational and shouldn't be thinking this way, but yet he blames Obi to the end for some imagined problem. So yeah, there are a lot of moments that show us this "friend" relationship, but they are contradicted by Anakin as his confusing attitude. It doesn't make much sense. :ermm:

2-1B
05-20-2005, 02:41 AM
Yeah, Anakin definitely grew up some since his whinier days. :)
I don't see a contradiction here since (as I hoped/predicted since AOTC) this is a building upon what I saw between them in the last film.

If Anakin had all those cool scenes with Obi-Wan during the Battle of Coruscant but then went home to wifey to throw wrenches and blame Obers for some stuff, then it would be contradictory and out of place. And that's not even a good example since the behavior I described was in light of his mum's death. lol

dr_evazan22
05-20-2005, 08:08 AM
I'll concur. :) But why did it take so long? What I mean is, why didn't we see any of this in AOTC?

I was thinking aboutt his the other night... What I came up with is that while Ani and Obi may have cared for each other (as Ani states in AOTC) before, the stress's of the Master / Padawan relationship prevented it from really being shown. But after Ani became a Knight, the relationship changed again, relieving both Ani and Obi of some of that stress and responsibilty.