PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 3- let the hype begin!

Pages : 1 [2]

jonthejedi
03-19-2007, 02:48 AM
Does anyone know which Tuesday the Spiderman 2.1 DVD hits?

General_Grievous
03-19-2007, 04:33 PM
It comes out on April 17th. I might double dip with this one. It seems worth it.

General_Grievous
03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
This was the trailer that was shown with 300. If anyone hasn't seen it yet, click away. But the quality is very bad. I can't find it anywhere else online.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dASItURytiE

Phantom-like Menace
03-20-2007, 10:37 PM
The trailer with 300 was pretty interesting.

Spoiler Space

Spoiler Space

Spoiler Space

Is that Venom grabbing Spidey by the head and yanking him off his feet? I didn't figure we'd be getting more of Venom than Brock's brief transformation, but we may be in for a fight. I'm curious if they didn't decide to add more Venom after it became clear this is most likely the last movie with this cast and director.

JediTricks
03-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Not much I could make out, but sounded pretty cool. I didn't get this trailer with 300 this weekend unfortunately, I got the one with Peter proposing and all that. :ermm: I was shocked at the end of that youtube one when nobody clapped or nothing, someone coughed is all, I would have been on my feet cheering probably.

2-1B
03-22-2007, 06:52 AM
I would have been coughing just to mess with the guy's audio. Actually, I would have been cringing at the thought of having to watch Tobey Maguire in a movie again.

Tycho
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
A seemingly knowledgeable employee at Wal-Mart who opened TAC cases for me early, said there would be at least 6 Spider-Man movies and Maguire would continue to star in them. Spoiler (highlight to read) ::: Venom would appear towards the end and continue to be the enemy in Spider-Man 4 :::

El Chuxter
03-22-2007, 11:32 AM
That's a rumor. Maguire, Raimi, and Ms Dunst have hemmed and hawed over whether there'd even be a fourth.

Rocketboy
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Tobey has recently said that he is done. He saw it as a trilogy and that was enough.

JediTricks
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Tycho, your spoiler text has to look like this for it to work in most other browsers like Firefox (which is what Steve uses):

[COLOR=#f0eded]text here

Tycho
03-22-2007, 06:10 PM
I see you fixed my spoiler text. Thank you JT. (you were the one who originally taught me how to type invisible btw)

Rocketboy
03-23-2007, 09:18 AM
The new trailer is up (under exclusives, not trailers)

http://www.spiderman3oncomcast.com/

jonthejedi
03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Nice Spidey3 displays going up at WalMart...unveiling the toys tomorrow they say. I wonder if Spiderman 2.1 DVD will have movie pass for 3?

El Chuxter
03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Just saw the trailer.

Man, who would've thought they'd make Venom to be Harry's real father? And what was with the army of dudes in green and brown camo Spidey suits?

This just looks bad.

General_Grievous
03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know what trailer Chux saw. The one I watched looked excellent. :thumbsup:

SPOILERS (Highlight to read)
Did you see how messed up Harry's face looked near the end of the trailer? And there was a shot of Peter and MJ on top of a building (at sunset) sitting over a body. Is it Harry's? I'll bet he dies in the movie. It would be pretty dramatic.
End of spoilers

May 4th doesn't seem too far away....

JediTricks
03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Topher Grace looks crazy as Venom with his face revealed.

There's so much going on, I really hope they have enough time to tell this story, it feels like it's gonna need to be 4 hours long at least.

You know, I have to say something that's been on my mind and I meant to mention a long time ago, what the hell is up with Harry's goblin getup? Why did they make him into a snowboarder complete with flying snowboard? This seems like such a commercial change. I really want this film to work, but that one definitely seems like a head-scratcher.

General_Grievous
03-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Topher Grace looks crazy as Venom with his face revealed.

Yeah, that looked pretty sweet. Does anyone have a screencap of that?

You know, I have to say something that's been on my mind and I meant to mention a long time ago, what the hell is up with Harry's goblin getup? Why did they make him into a snowboarder complete with flying snowboard? This seems like such a commercial change. I really want this film to work, but that one definitely seems like a head-scratcher.

I thought that at first, but I've gotten used to it now. I actually would have liked to see him in the same outfit he's wearing in 3, but wearing the goblin mask from the first film.

Has anyone else noticed that before Venom was announced as being in the film, all the buzz was about Sandman? There was all this speculation about him and everything. Hell, the first promo picture released for the film featured him. Now it seems like he's just being downplayed compared to Venom and the Goblin. He was barely in the new trailer. In a way, it kind of makes sense, since out of the three villains, he seems to be the least important. Still, I don't want to see him portrayed as just some throwaway villain.

Kidhuman
03-23-2007, 10:01 PM
The idea of the black I do believe came from the first one(which I just watched). He states his father loved black and wanted MJ to wear a black dress to impress him.I think it might be an homage to his dad.

General_Grievous
03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Found more stuff out about the Sandman, courtesy of the back of his action figure package.

SPOILERS (highlight)
Apparently, Sandman turned to a life of crime in order to help his sick daughter, which explains that poster we saw some months back with him and a little girl. It states he never meant to hurt anyone, he just wants to get back to his wife and kids. That's pretty sad. I really hope they don't give him the Goblin and Doc Ock treatment and kill him off. So the Sandman's just a guy wanting to help his kid and the New Goblin is just a misunderstood and crazy Harry Osborn. This means that the only true villain in the movie is Venom. I mean, Eddie Brock wants Peter dead pretty bad.

END SPOILERS

2-1B
03-25-2007, 10:31 AM
There's so much going on, I really hope they have enough time to tell this story, it feels like it's gonna need to be 4 hours long at least.

X-Men 3 ! :grin:

JediTricks
03-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I thought that at first, but I've gotten used to it now. I actually would have liked to see him in the same outfit he's wearing in 3, but wearing the goblin mask from the first film.I would have liked to see a costume more like the comics version, either Green Goblin or Hobgoblin, Harry's thinking being that he's going to use the public terror created by the original Goblin to become even more mythical - there's power in myths.

Has anyone else noticed that before Venom was announced as being in the film, all the buzz was about Sandman? There was all this speculation about him and everything. Hell, the first promo picture released for the film featured him. Now it seems like he's just being downplayed compared to Venom and the Goblin. He was barely in the new trailer. In a way, it kind of makes sense, since out of the three villains, he seems to be the least important. Still, I don't want to see him portrayed as just some throwaway villain.I don't remember it being all about Sandman except from the studio, they were a little heavy with it. I personally never liked Sandman as a villain, so I'm glad to see him go.

Personally, I'm sick of Raimi making every villain overly sympathetic these days.

X-Men 3 ! :grin:Ugh, we can only hope not.

El Chuxter
03-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Personally, I'm sick of Raimi making every villain overly sympathetic these days.

We commonly refer to this as "Batman: The Animated Syndrome."

I loved the show, but every villain was a sob story except for the Joker.

mabudonicus
03-26-2007, 08:50 AM
How come no-ones talkin about the 4th villain anymore?? Was he cut from the film?? :beard:Isobaws&

Tycho
03-26-2007, 09:46 AM
They're waiting to have 4 villains in Spider-Man 4 of course.

In that film, Michael Bay will be taking over the directing.

We're going to learn that Aunt May and Peter Parker are actually long-lost brothers before May had her sex change and married Peter's late-Uncle.

Michael Bay is also re-imagining Spider-Man and saying that the first 3 films were only a dream, but Peter was actually bitten by a radio-active earwig instead.

His design will be altered accordingly and he'll have 2 large pinchers extending out of his butt that he'll use to climb up everything backwards.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Crave comics, has some FANTASTIC shots of Venom from the last trailer:

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/articles/04647651/new_spiderman_3_venom_pics.html

awesome! :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
03-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Uhhh. I meant the fourth villain in spidey 3, there, tycho

I think if you look back over the thread, you'll find reference to him

IF he's in it, he's not super powered or anything, but I have a feeling that he IS responsible for messing with Spidermans head a bit in this film, since messing with perceptions is what the guy does, basically....

Seems to have dropped right outta the picture... but I SWEAR a fairly prominent actor was slated to be Quentin Beck a while ago.. curious :beard:Isobaws&

darthvyn
03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
yeah, the "fourth villain" rumor has been kinda quiet lately... most of the speculation dried up when avi arad was quoted as saying something like "spider-man himself becomes his own worst villain" referring to the black costume and such.

Rocketboy
03-27-2007, 06:39 PM
I thought Bruce Campell was Mysterio, or was that just the rumor/joke?

mabudonicus
03-27-2007, 06:56 PM
I checked it out a bit- I think Bruce will be in the movie as Quentin Beck for a little role on the set of a film that's being made within the film- natcherully he'll be an SFX guy, but I think from everything I could find, that's about that, so technically he's a "villain" and not a Villain- so if spideys #4 then there are indeed 5 "bad guys" in the movie- about the same as there being 2 in the first, I guess....

:beard:Isobaws&

Rocketboy
03-27-2007, 07:05 PM
So he's basically a villain like Curt Conner and John Jameson are, right?

JediTricks
03-27-2007, 08:35 PM

I loved the show, but every villain was a sob story except for the Joker.Seems to be a common theme to EVERY Superhero from Batman Returns on, and it's really too bad. I think the problem is that the comics got more mature in the '80s and delved into what makes and drives a supervillain, the movies tried to emulate this but with only 2 hours to give a character arc rather than the uncompressed nature of comic books, there's just no way to do it with the nuance required to make them people but still bad, so they make them people and then hamfistedly throw the villain aspect into the mix separately. Spider-Man 1 was able to buck that trend well, we got only little hints of what drove Norman Osborne yet kept him nasty enough to enjoy killing. Another one of the Superhero films that really bucked this trend nicely was Batman Begins - Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, even Falcone were all nasty while giving us only hints at who they were.

Uhhh. I meant the fourth villain in spidey 3, there, tycho

I think if you look back over the thread, you'll find reference to him

IF he's in it, he's not super powered or anything, but I have a feeling that he IS responsible for messing with Spidermans head a bit in this film, since messing with perceptions is what the guy does, basically....

Seems to have dropped right outta the picture... but I SWEAR a fairly prominent actor was slated to be Quentin Beck a while ago.. curious :beard:Isobaws&I think Mysterio was always a rumor, brought on mainly by folks like me saying that Topher Grace and Thomas Hayden Church would both make great versions of the character - even in the same movie together (one would be a disguise).

There were also strong rumors that The Lizard would be a real "villain" in Spidey 3, but that seemed to go nowhere as well.

mabudonicus
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
So he's basically a villain like Curt Conner and John Jameson are, right?

That's what I dug up- from what I read, SPOLIER there's a spiderman movie in production, and Peter visits the set to try and give some pointers to the production crew- this leads to a convo between Peter and Beck, with the predictable liberal dose of odd, uncomfortable dialogue as Beck utters a bunch of smart-arsed stuff that makes Peter wonder how safe his identity really is

So yeah, like Lizard and Man Wolf

:beard:Isobaws&

darthvyn
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM

I loved the show, but every villain was a sob story except for the Joker.

most of the spider-man villains are victims of circumstance, but being that sandman's origin was the ever-original "escaped from prison only to be bombarded by nuclear radiation from a power plant explosion on a beach", i think they needed to update him a bit.

Tycho
03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
In California, we have San Onofre State Beach right next to San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant - so it's possible.

JediTricks
03-29-2007, 03:28 AM
In California, we have San Onofre State Beach right next to San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant - so it's possible.
Yes, and that's resulted in exactly how many humans who can turn themselves into living sand? Zero? Less than that?

The smart thing about the genetic mutation angle in the Spidey movies is that it's today's version of radiation - it's a technology on everybody's mind, we all know it can do some freaky stuff, but we really don't know exactly what it'll do, to the lay person it's limits are unknown. That said, this ain't the X-men, there are only so many folks you can buy being mutated in the Spidey universe and getting powers instead of winding up on Jerry Springer with an eleventh toe and no teeth.

Finally, I think Sandman and Hydro-man are some of the lamer members of Spidey's rogues gallery, they should get together and make Beachman (I was gonna say "Mud Man" but they friggin' did that for reals in the comics back in the day, ay yi yi!!!). Any villain you can defeat with a Shop Vac is not worthy of repeated use.

Tycho
03-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Yes, and that's resulted in exactly how many humans who can turn themselves into living sand? Zero? Less than that?

You don't know that. When you go to the beach you might not see any sandpeople because they are all hiding. You could be walking amongst them and never know it! (and they hate it when people drop cigarette butts on them - which is one reason why it's now illegal to smoke on the beach in California).

instead of winding up on Jerry Springer with an eleventh toe and no teeth.

Quit making fun of Wal-Mart's other customers! We have to go in there to get their exclusives you know. :D

Kidhuman
03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I just wanna know if Spider Spud is in the movie

Rocketboy
03-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Or the Spider-car/Spider-copter.

Kidhuman
03-30-2007, 06:02 AM
On the Spider-car

Rocketboy
03-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Or the Spider-car

mabudonicus
03-30-2007, 11:03 AM
As long as nobody EVER tries to run with The Terrible Tinkerer (maybe the WORST "nemesis" EVER in Spierman) I think it'll be okay, tho I still hates me that Venom :beard:Isobaws&

Kidhuman
03-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Would you perfer Carnage over Venom?

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 05:51 PM
You don't know that. When you go to the beach you might not see any sandpeople because they are all hiding. You could be walking amongst them and never know it! (and they hate it when people drop cigarette butts on them - which is one reason why it's now illegal to smoke on the beach in California).And here I thought it was because people kept throwing their stupid cig butts on the beach and letting others walk on searing hot cigarettes, or throwing them in trash cans full of flammable garbage.

I just wanna know if Spider Spud is in the movieI dunno what it is, but I really REALLY hate that thing!

2-1B
03-31-2007, 08:06 PM
They made a Spider Man Mr. Potato Head ?

General_Grievous
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
As long as nobody EVER tries to run with The Terrible Tinkerer (maybe the WORST "nemesis" EVER in Spierman)

Didn't you hear? Martin Landau was cast as the Tinkerer in Spider-Man 4.

El Chuxter
04-02-2007, 11:07 PM
most of the spider-man villains are victims of circumstance, but being that sandman's origin was the ever-original "escaped from prison only to be bombarded by nuclear radiation from a power plant explosion on a beach", i think they needed to update him a bit.

John Byrne did say it wasn't actually a nuclear blast, but the same lab accident that caused Octavius' arms to be fused to his body.

I actually liked that series (The Early Years?) but I'm sure it's been retconned since right now it's not cool to like Byrne.

darthvyn
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Didn't you hear? Martin Landau was cast as the Tinkerer in Spider-Man 4.

that would actually be totally awesome!

John Byrne did say it wasn't actually a nuclear blast, but the same lab accident that caused Octavius' arms to be fused to his body.

I actually liked that series (The Early Years?) but I'm sure it's been retconned since right now it's not cool to like Byrne.

seeing as how that was a retcon in and of itself...

El Chuxter
04-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Yes, it was a retcon to begin with, but a good one, IMHO.

I love Spidey as much as the next guy (unless maybe if the "next guy" is you, WallCrawler), and I think Stan Lee and Steve Ditko were awesome for the time in which they worked, but, dude, some of those old Amazings kinda suck by today's standards. Stan Lee had no problem causing massive nuclear blasts in random places at what would amount to six or seven times a week if he needed a new supervillain and didn't have a better origin for him.

General_Grievous
04-03-2007, 11:02 PM
that would actually be totally awesome!

He could be a love interest for Aunt May...give the old girl some lovin', dammit! :mad: :D

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
He could be a love interest for Aunt May...give the old girl some lovin', dammit! :mad: :D
She used to date Doc Ock, and were even engaged, so she's already had a better supervillain date. :p

El Chuxter
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
If they're working in some May/supervillain lovin', let me vote for Vulture right now. Of all the supervillains May's dated, he's the coolest.

Man, I bet even darthvyn has to admit how ridiculous that sentence makes Spider-Man sound... and it's totally true!

I would just hope they preserve the scene from the miniseries years ago in Spectacular Spider-Man, where Vulture is dying and apologizing to everyone he's ever done wrong, and May slaps the living bejeezus out of him.

JediTricks
04-05-2007, 04:41 PM
There's nothing cool about the Vulture.

Rocketboy
04-05-2007, 10:40 PM
There's nothing cool about the Vulture.Then why does he look like Mr Burns (or Professor Farnsworth)?

JediTricks
04-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Lots of old people look like them but aren't cool. Farnsworth is only cool because he invented his own intergalactic spaceship. Burnsie is only cool because if you say he's not, he'll release the hounds. Vulture is mega-lame though, an old geezer in a skin-tight green costume with doofy-looking wings and he's supposed to be one of the Marvel Universe's early badasses? Plus, only a lame-o like The Vulture could be premiered in the same issue as The Tinkerer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Amaz2.png
(Man, what the hell were Lee & Ditko thinking putting out the second ever Spidey book with not 1 but 2 old guy crap villains?!? "We need to drive away all the readers fast!!!")

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Yahoo released the "final" trailer and I was able to score this screen grab of Venom. Lookin' pretty nifty! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
04-06-2007, 11:41 PM
He's got a purty mouth.

El Chuxter
04-08-2007, 01:43 AM
I believe Amazing Spider-Man #1 was two stories. Probably for the best. Stan was groundbreaking, and his stuff is still a lot of fun, but there's not a tremendous amount of story going on in them by today's standards.

General_Grievous
04-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, ASM #1 was two stories. I think one involved Spidey stopping a missile, and the other had Spidey trying to join the Fantastic Four.

General_Grievous
04-11-2007, 12:42 PM
If anyone missed the third trailer (the one that was shown with 300), they can watch it here.

http://movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=spider-man3

It's the one that says Quicktime Trailer 3.

General_Grievous
04-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Just got my tickets for a midnight showing on May 3rd. :thumbsup:

Only two and a half weeks to go!

General_Grievous
04-17-2007, 08:28 PM
And yet again, more news... This time, some clips from the movie!!!

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2319&Itemid=99

The crane clip was amazing, so was that subway fight with Sandman. Venom's creation was purely awesome...just like this movie will be.

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I think I'm hitting the wall on spoilers, I've been loosely reading them but now that we're this close, I think I don't want it to be any more revealed until I actually see it. I'm pretty excited, I hope it can live up to that.

General_Grievous
04-20-2007, 07:42 PM
You're a better man than I am. I succumbed to the spoilers. But am I sorry? No way! The movie will still be awesome.

Rocketboy
04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Sam Raimi confirms Spider-man 4,5 & 6 (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19999)

At the Los Angeles press junket today, Spider-Man 3 (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=4663) director Sam Raimi confirmed that Sony Pictures (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19999#) is doing a 4th, 5th and 6th installment of the popular franchise.

We'll have his exact words shortly, but Raimi said that he hasn't had time to think of any involvement and he doesn't want to presume Sony (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19999#) would want him to direct.

He said there has to be a good story to tell and that "it'd be very hard to say goodbye to 'Spider Man (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19999#).'"

Tycho
04-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Who's writing Spider-Man 3?

Miles Milar and Al Gogh from Smallville fame wrote Spider-Man 2 versus Doctor Octopus - and it was really good.

These things can start with a great writer. Not every episode of Smallville is great - but plenty are. I wouldn't mind them using Milar and Gogh some more. Week to week on Smallville, you're bound to have hits and misses. But with movies, you have much more time to get out something great.

So far, the Spider-Man franchise has been the singularly BEST super hero franchise!

General_Grievous
04-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Sam Raimi and Alvin Sargent wrote Spider-Man 3. I think Sargent wrote most of it. He also wrote much of the Spider-Man 2 script and script doctored the first one, so it's in good hands.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 06:09 PM
You're a better man than I am. I succumbed to the spoilers. But am I sorry? No way! The movie will still be awesome.Oh man, I fastforwarded through a new TV ad last night while watching a tape of something else I had taped that day, and went back to the ad to get a big fat spoiler: === it was a shot of Harry with a scarred face, apparently he survives the pumpkin bomb Peter throws at the wall next to him === and being spoiled there heavily impacted my understanding of the film.

Miles Milar and Al Gogh from Smallville fame wrote Spider-Man 2 versus Doctor Octopus - and it was really good.

So far, the Spider-Man franchise has been the singularly BEST super hero franchise!While I agree that Spidey has been the best Super Hero movie franchise (and perhaps the best comic one as well), I rewatched SM2 a few weeks ago and noticed some heavy similarities to Smallville that were unfavorable, I meant to post but haven't had much time. Basically, in SM2, Peter's always suffering because he is distanced from and can't tell his beloved his secret identity, he's always stretched because of his dual identity in this movie to the point of being ridiculous. Also, like Smallville, SM2's villains are way too sympathetic. I had more, but it's been a while.

Rocketboy
04-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Michael Chabon also contributed to the story of Spider-man 2.

Rocketboy
04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Double post - give me 4 beers.

Wanna see the Venom transformation scene? (http://thatvideosite.com/video/4257)

General_Grievous
04-21-2007, 11:15 PM
The beer thing doesn't count if you posted something that was already posted at the top of this page. :p

Rocketboy
04-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Where? I didn't/don't see it.

I'll have you evicted.

General_Grievous
04-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Right here:

And yet again, more news... This time, some clips from the movie!!!

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2319&Itemid=99

The crane clip was amazing, so was that subway fight with Sandman. Venom's creation was purely awesome...just like this movie will be.

Rocketboy
04-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Oh that post!

(I totally missed it)

General_Grievous
04-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Just thought I'd ask this. Is anyone else going at midnight? I'll be there at the first showing. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
I'll be there at midnight for sure!

El Chuxter
04-22-2007, 10:20 PM
I'll be in Vegas on the release weekend, without the wife, and promised Mrs Chux that we'd see it together. So, sadly, no.

Tycho
04-23-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't like to chance seeing movies at Midnight any more. If my sleep cycle's on track, I get too tired to know if I enjoyed it.

The last movie I dug at midnight was ROTS.

I don't recall any more movies I saw at 12am except Superman Returns. While I'm a huge Smallville fan, I don't think I really ever got into SR that much. Oh I own it on DVD, but I really am not inclined to watch it very often (actually hardly ever). But now that I'm thinking about it, I might just have to pop it in, if at least to watch Kevin Spacey's performance as Lex Luthor.

General_Grievous
04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't like to chance seeing movies at Midnight any more. If my sleep cycle's on track, I get too tired to know if I enjoyed it.
My sleep cycle will be off track that night. As soon as I come home from school on the 3rd, I'm going to crash and take a nap from about 3 to 7, then eat dinner, watch TV and go to the movie, then I'll be back at around 2:30 AM, post my thoughts here, and get another four hours of sleep from 3 to 7. So I'll get 8 hours of sleep, but they'll be broken up. I have to go to school on the 4th since I have two final papers due that day. Plus, I'm probably going to another showing after school on that day.

2-1B
04-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I retired from Midnight Showings 2 years ago with ROTS.

Then again, I didn't even see Spider-Man 2 in the theater so...lol

darthvyn
04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Just thought I'd ask this. Is anyone else going at midnight? I'll be there at the first showing. :thumbsup:

just bought my tickets this evening. also going to try to get into the NYC premiere in queens on the 30th.

jonthejedi
04-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I forgot to post last week that I picked up the Spiderman 2.1 DVD. I bought mine at WalMart for 12.88 and a bonus DVD was attached: The Villains of Spiderman 3...pretty neat deal!

Rocketboy
04-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I picked it up at Walmart also, but haven't watched 'em yet.
I would only call it a bonus DVD because its on it's own disc. Damn thing is only 13 minutes long!

General_Grievous
04-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Found this online.

http://www.black20.com/virals/?s=91

It's from the same guys who did the PG-rated 300 trailer. I died laughing when I saw what Aunt May gave to Peter. :p

JediTricks
04-30-2007, 02:05 PM
The depends and "It seems to like chicken" were pretty funny.

General_Grievous
05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Come on, guys! The movie's less than two days away and we're talking about "Lost in Space" instead? :eek: I'm bumping this up with some interesting news.

$29.2 Million for Spidey Overseas in 1 Day

Source: The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ie79eb9c25e60fe83f9045ee173ac7606)
May 2, 2007

The Hollywood Reporter says that Spider-Man 3 has earned $29.2 million in 16 overseas markets, topping Spider-Man 2's bow in the same territories by 86% and that of the original by 175%.

"The bottom line," Sony Pictures Entertainment vice chairman Jeff Blake said, "is that 10 of the 16 openings had the biggest opening day of all time."

All of the 16 bows of the third film beat the openings days of both Spider-Man 2 ($15.6 million) and the initial Spider-Man ($10.6 million), bested the combined gross of both previous films, and that four territories came up with their biggest single days of all time.

Sony said France's $6.1 million represented the country's biggest opening day of all time, beating Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ($3.9 million), local blockbuster Taxi 2 ($4.5 million) and the combined opening day takes of Spidey 1 and 2 ($4.9 million).

Germany ($4.6 million) and Japan ($3.7 million) each logged their biggest-ever Tuesday openings, while Italy ($4 million) and Korea ($3.4 million) achieved their biggest openings of all time.

Records also were set in Austria, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Egypt, Singapore, the Philippines, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Thailand.

"By Sunday, we will have opened in 107 countries around the world, including the United States and Canada," Blake said

I wonder if it'll break POTC's opening weekend record over here.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Come on, guys! The movie's less than two days away and we're talking about "Lost in Space" instead? :eek: I'm bumping this up with some interesting news.

I wonder if it'll break POTC's opening weekend record over here.

I really hope it breaks POTC's record as we geeks need to regain our position with highest weekend ever. I'm so uber excited for this flick. i'm listening to the soundtrack right now and picked up my midnight showing ticket this morning. So uber excited. I saw a few reviews on i think msnbc and they loved it, i believe. EEeek! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm going to catch it Friday with a good friend of mine...looking forward to seeing it.

BountyHunterScum
05-03-2007, 12:18 AM
You mean to tell me that everyone else saw Spidey 3 ahead of us?!?!?

JediTricks
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
The reviews are out on this one, and the consensus seems to be that it's exciting and good, but the weakest of the lot due to too many villains, a lack of solid motivations for drama, and the characters getting thin (dramatically) out to make room. If that's the case, I don't want them to do more sequels.

General_Grievous
05-04-2007, 02:10 AM
SPOILERS
Well, I just got back from the sold out midnight showing (the crowd loved it). I'm not even exhausted. I'm still pumped from seeing THE BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER!!! That's right. Spider-Man 3 is the best superhero movie ever. End of story. Every superhero movie up until this point has got nothing on Spider-Man 3. It had everything. The action sequences were excellent, the dialogue was great, and the characters were handled with such care that's been the standard in this trilogy. Once again, Sam Raimi knocked it out of the park. I'm glad he held the reins throughout all three movies. I hope he comes back for a fourth, but I doubt even he can outdo this one.

Tobey was at his best here. He really brings a lot to the role. A Spider-Man movie wouldn't be the same without him. Kirsten Dunst was way better than she was in the second film (I especially liked her Jazz Club outfit:lipsrsealed:), but I was far more impressed by Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen. She needed a lot more screentime. Plus, for some weird reason, she actually looks good as a fake blonde. James Franco was great playing Harry one last time. It was sad to see that character go, but then again, it was sort of inevitable. I was just glad he showed up to save Peter's bacon at the end fight (More on that later). Thomas Haden Church made a good Sandman, but just like Doc Ock, his character didn't have much time to shine like Willem Dafoe did as the Goblin in the first film. Most of his screentime was spent as a giant sand monster. Still, he played a good sympathetic character. I don't want to call him a villain because everything he did was for his daughter. I am so glad Raimi didn't give him the Doc Ock treatment in the sense that he let Sandman live. As for Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer, at first I wasn't too crazy about it, but as it unfolded onscreen, I realized it fit perfectly with the film's theme of forgiveness. And last, but certainly not least, we have Topher "Eric Forman" Grace as Venom, the most hyped-up character in a movie in recent memory. I was really anticipating it since he's my favorite Spider-Man villain. Personally, I thought Venom was awesome in the movie. I thought it was alright that he died, since I couldn't see Venom come back in 4 if Tobey, Kirsten and co. don't come back. He was the real villain of the movie. Topher really nailed it by portraying Venom as a homicidal psycho and Eddie as a tortured soul. Even with his limited screentime, he's my favorite Spidey movie villain as well. There is nothing sympathetic about him, which makes him completely different from the previous enemies of Spidey. You can't even sympathize with Eddie Brock. He was just a scumbag who wanted to cheat to get ahead in life. That combined with the symbiote made for one hell of an adversary. Which brings me to the black suit. It makes Peter his own worst enemy. It's sad seeing how the suit makes Peter's personality deteriorate, from messing up Harry's face with a pumpkin bomb to punching Mary Jane.:eek:. But you could tell Tobey had fun playing evil for a change.

The biggest scene in the movie was the final battle. Spider-Man (and eventually Harry) taking on a 50-foot Sandman along with Venom was without a doubt the most adrenaline-pumping sequence in the trilogy. The s**t really hits the fan. And for once in a trilogy (not including the prequels), they really did save the best for the last half hour. I loved how there were a lot of consistencies kept between this film and the last one, like bringing back Peter's landlord and Dr. Connors (who will probably become the Lizard in 4, since they're practically spelling it out for us). The only thing I did miss from the second film were the Alex Ross paintings in the credits, but it was forgivable, because the opening credits here were just as awesome, especially with the symbiote design. By the way, for the fans of Bruce Campbell, which would be most of us, what did you think of his cameo as the French waiter? I thought it was great. All the fans were rolling.:D Probably his best cameo out of the trilogy. And I loved the Stan Lee cameo. Everyone cheered when he said "Nuff said". I wonder what happened to him playing Mysterio? Some of the humor in the movie was a little corny, but I still liked it. You could tell Tobey had fun doing those scenes. The only thing that was a disappointment for me in this movie was that there was no "final swing" scene like in the previous two. I think they nixed it because the ending is a bit darker (Harry's funeral is the second-to-last scene), but still, I would have liked to see it again. But that minor inconvenience aside, this really is the best damn superhero movie. I have a feeling it may have some competition from "The Dark Knight" next year, but as for this summer box office war, I think Spidey may mop the floor with the other films. The midnight showing was absolutely packed. Appropriately, too, because this was definitely a movie to remember. I'm so happy Spider-Man had a great trilogy, and I can only hope for the best for the future installments.:thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-04-2007, 02:27 AM
I just got back and I loved it, aside from a few gripes.
1. the "Happy go lucky" peter scene was too long.
2. The scene in the club?!? It was funny, but it felt silly.
3. not sure how i feel about them changing the Spidey's past. It seems like it could've happened, but it almost makes his "training" in spidey 1 seem moot. I dunno.

Overall, very good flick, just not "spider-man 2" good. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
05-04-2007, 02:46 AM
I've heard a lot of reviews say that Spider-Man 2 was better, but I disagree. Spidey 2 had too many slow scenes in the middle.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-04-2007, 02:47 AM
I've heard a lot of reviews say that Spider-Man 2 was better, but I disagree. Spidey 2 had too many slow scenes in the middle.

And Peter dancing in the jazz bar, MJ and Harry twisting in the kitchen, and Peter dancing/jiving down the street weren't slow scenes? C'mon! :p

General_Grievous
05-04-2007, 02:49 AM
While they were silly, I didn't find them slow. I would rather watch those any day than the scene where the neighbor brought him cake in the second one.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-04-2007, 02:51 AM
While they were silly, I didn't find them slow. I would rather watch those any day than the scene where the neighbor brought him cake in the second one.

True, but I think those scenes in SM2 give Peter a glimpse of a normal life without the suit. My main gripe with Spidey 3 is that there were too many of those "cheesey" scenes. The happy go lucky Pete went on for too long. We saw pics of him being a brute crime fighter, I wanted to see more of that, ya know?

Still, i loved the flick, just sayin'.

darthvyn
05-04-2007, 10:37 AM
i thought it was awesome... the basic gist of it is it was more dramatic, more action-packed and funnier than either of it's predecessors... for a more detailed review, check out my thoughts at my Spidey site:

www.wallcrawlersweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2052#2052

mabudonicus
05-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Vinsunt- just a quick question, a clarification if you will- did you find yourself laughing at a LOT of stuff in Spidey 2?? I swear, I felt like the only one who thought it was totally hilarious- hell, at the climax of the film when Pete gets unmasked by Doc Ock, Ocks reaction is a classic pre-set-up punchline delivered beautifully. There were tons of funny/tragic moments in it that made me laugh real hard- like when Hary is slappin Pete silly and MJ announces her engagement to John Jamieson and JJJ pops up with that "C'mon Parker, snap the picture" bit- for the dramatic tension of the scene, the humour worked extra well in that bit too, I thought

So, the question re-stated- is Spidey 3 seriously "funnier" than Spidey 2??

I am SO stoked at hearing this, I was SO worried that the Venom story would literally suck all the fun out of the franchise, but the fact that this film plays both ends of the "serious/comic" spectrum makes it sound truly brilliant- I can hardly wait til tomorrow afternoon (I know, I know, but there's certain folks I MUST see it with and they'll all be avaliable then and no sooner- the fact that the "local" theatre is now on the total opposite side of town is also slowin me down, a ride of some sort is required)

Thanks all for posting your thoughts, enjoying the film vicariously will have to do for 24 more hours for this cowboy :beard: Iso & Baws

Darthvyn thinks Spiderman is pretty damn awesome

darthvyn
05-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Vinsunt- just a quick question, a clarification if you will- did you find yourself laughing at a LOT of stuff in Spidey 2?? I swear, I felt like the only one who thought it was totally hilarious- hell, at the climax of the film when Pete gets unmasked by Doc Ock, Ocks reaction is a classic pre-set-up punchline delivered beautifully. There were tons of funny/tragic moments in it that made me laugh real hard- like when Hary is slappin Pete silly and MJ announces her engagement to John Jamieson and JJJ pops up with that "C'mon Parker, snap the picture" bit- for the dramatic tension of the scene, the humour worked extra well in that bit too, I thought

yes, ducks, rest assured that i laughed at the same exact points as you did, and that Spidey 3 IS that much funnier than 2.

the scenes that you point out in particular are shining examples of the humor in 2 - the way molina delivers the "brilliant but lazy" line is just spot-on and the way you have to laugh while cringing at how pete's life comes crashing down on him from all angles during the planetarium scene is deliciously uncomfortable. add to that scenes like the "raindrops keep falling on my head" montage that's just totally ridiculously geeky (the thought "so, he gave up being spider-man for THIS?" kept running through my mind...).

So, the question re-stated- is Spidey 3 seriously "funnier" than Spidey 2??

yes.

I am SO stoked at hearing this, I was SO worried that the Venom story would literally suck all the fun out of the franchise, but the fact that this film plays both ends of the "serious/comic" spectrum makes it sound truly brilliant- I can hardly wait til tomorrow afternoon (I know, I know, but there's certain folks I MUST see it with and they'll all be avaliable then and no sooner- the fact that the "local" theatre is now on the total opposite side of town is also slowin me down, a ride of some sort is required)

hey, man, i had to meet up with my friends to go see it an hour and forty five minutes away from where i'm living now!

i think you hit the nail on the head with the balance of "serious/comedic" stuff - they had bits and pieces in the first one, brought it up on both sides to balance out the second one, and in the third one, since some of the themes are SO dark/dramatic they really had to up the ante on the funny, which they did to a "T" - i mean, c'mon! it's sam "army of darkness" raimi we're talking about here - the only person who could make a movie about zombies where the local discount chain store employee gets sent back to medieval times and builds a robotic hand to defeat them!

Thanks all for posting your thoughts, enjoying the film vicariously will have to do for 24 more hours for this cowboy :beard: Iso & Baws

no prob.

Darthvyn thinks Spiderman is pretty damn awesome

THAT he does. but it in no way clouds his judgment of the movie! ;)

mabudonicus
05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
DAMN I think my excite-o-meter just broke bro, DAMN

DAMN I can't stand it now. I have heard a bunch of odd reviews from folks who I'm sure think comic-book movies are silly unless they're "realistic" This review from a true fan is more than enough to allay any fears I may have had- read your review at WCW as well, and it is pretty much what I'd figured the film would be. AWESOME.
I will be posting in ALL CAPS when I return to this thread no doubt
:beard: Iso & Baws

Spidey 3 is probably the only film Ducks will see at the theatre this summer

Rocketboy
05-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I loved Spidey 3! I thought it was Amazing (bad pun intended)!

Everyone else has pretty much summed up the best of it, so I'll play the role of Debbie Downer because there were a few things that I wasn't totally happy with.

The cop out with the symbiote. I hoped there would have been a better explanation how how it got to Earth (like in the 90's animated series). A meteorite that just happens to hit the ground right near Pete and MJ (and neither of them hear it?)? Peter has been established as being brilliant, right? So why does he have his friggin' physics teacher look at this new weird living goo?

Peter Parker: Wannabe Goth A-hole. Yeah, it's the symbiote causing it, but strutting down the street? And that Jazz club scene? It was a little too over the top campy for me.

Sandman was the villain right? It was like they forgot about him for long stretches. The same almost goes for Brock until he gets freaky with the symbiote.

Minor Venom issues:
His voice - I always "heard" Venom as having a deep, evil, menacing voice when his face was covered.
They never actually say the name Venom.
The fact that he appears to have died. I expected to see him one more time after the explosion. I've always thought it would make a great movie if Venom were the sole villain, having him stalk and mentally torture Peter.

BountyHunterScum
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
I liked Spiderman 3 it blew the previous movies away plus I agree in a sense that it's one of the best superhero movies of all time. I'm probably the only person who isn't going to b*tch about the darker side of Peter when he was under the symbiote's influence, it was funny to me. Those women walking along giving him sarcastic looks.

jonthejedi
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
...all this being said already, yeah, I loved the movie, and I took the humourous bits as they came in the context of the story. Tobey, to me, is just funny anyway when he's Peter...because he is playing geek so damn well. I know fans have been clamoring for(***SPOILER***) a supervillain team-up, I hope this satisfies the masses. I am not a fanboy when it comes to comics(I never read DC or Marvel), but I love these movies, and the Spiderman franchise is the BEST in my opinion. Raimi was juggling quite a few plot threads in the air as the film progressed...I almost expected the FF to show up(sorry, Fox). All in all, loved it for what it was!

pbarnard
05-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Saw it in IMAX at midnight. My wife's first time ever in an IMAX and it was my first feature.

First, I know now why so many stars are opposed to filming things in HD. Tobey McQuire gets a 5 o'clock shadow on the chin and no place else, and a booger that wouldn't show up in a normal theater is the size of a car in IMAX.

Second, this film had to many plots. Drop the Sandman crap. Totally tangential to the story, almost used as the second bad guy to force the ending.

Nice on how they paid respects to Saturday Night Fever in this movie where the second did Mary Tyler Moore during Peter's little adventure of self discovery.

Spidey 2 better than this one.

bigbarada
05-05-2007, 01:15 AM
I've seen it twice so far and I haven't really talked to anyone who has liked it yet.

I watched it yesterday and I absolutely hated it. I thought it was horrible. But today I got a chance to see it again for free and decided that 1 and 2 were good enough that this one deserved a second chance.

After my second viewing, I pinpointed two scenes that really annoyed the crap out of me, but otherwise it's a good movie.

1. The stuff with Peter strutting down the street was fine, but was just pushed a little too far at the end. However, the jazz lounge scene was just absolutely unwatchable. It was so far over the top that it just ruined the movie for me the first time. However, I am willing to accept that I hated this scene so much because I despise jazz music.

2. The butler's speech to Harry Osborne, when he refused to help Peter save MJ, was horrible. I was cringing throughout the whole speech during the second viewing. I'm not sure if it was the acting or the dialog or both, but it just seemed more laughable and kind of creepy rather than the touching emotional scene I'm sure it was intended to be. I would rather they had left that part out and the audience would have drawn their own conclusions when Harry showed up to fight later on (similar to Han Solo at the Battle of Yavin).

I do believe that there were just too many villians in the movie. I really wish that they had left Venom out and pushed him to the 4th film (this way they could have explained where the symbiote came from). Harry Osborne and Sandman would have been enough.

I thought some of the humor was great though. The J. Jonah Jamison stuff was hilarious, although I do hope that he is used as more than comic relief in the next film. I also liked Bruce Campbell's role as the French waiter, that scene was a great setup for a joke; but it seemed to lack a punchline and it kind of fell flat in the end.

If I was to grade the Spider-Man films so far, then I would give Spider-Man 1 an A; Spider-Man 2 would get an A+; and Spider-Man 3 would get a B-. Overall, still better than most of the other superhero movies out there, but just too crowded and unfocused compared to the first two.

I am looking forward to Spider-Man 4, though. This is just one minor hiccup in what I hope continues to be a very strong franchise.

General_Grievous
05-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Spider-Man 3 Sets New Records!

Source: Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2007-05-04&p=.htm), Various Sources

May 5, 2007

According to Box Office Mojo and other internet sources, Spider-Man 3 has grossed an estimated $59 million on its opening day including a record number of sold out Thursday midnight screenings, estimated to have brought in $10 million of that amount. DeadlineHollywood reports that the third installment of Sony's blockbuster franchise grossed $104 million worldwide yesterday making May 4, 2007 the highest single day gross in box office history.

That opening gross is compared to the $40 opening day for Spider-Man 2, which opened on a Wednesday in 2004, and the $43.6 million opening of the original Spider-Man, which opened on the exact same day five years ago.

If that number sticks, it will have topped the previous opening day record set last year by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, which opened with $55.8 million and wound up setting a new opening weekend record with $135 million, an amount that Spider-Man 3 is very likely to surpass by Sunday. (George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith previously held the opening day record with $50 million on Thursday, May 19, 2005.)

Some early projections for the weekend are putting Spider-Man 3 in the range between $138 and $145 million for the weekend, allowing it to easily beat Dead Man's Chest's opening weekend record and to regain the record the original Spider-Man has held for four years prior.

Check back tomorrow for the final weekend box office estimates for Spider-Man 3... and the other movies in theatres.

Looks like it could break a new opening weekend record. I just saw it for a third time today, and it was packed even at 1:00.

Jargo
05-05-2007, 05:54 PM
gosh. illegal copies already. Got given one today. and not some hokey filmed on a mobile phone in the theatre copy either. I'll be having a trilogy viewing on monday. as I've yet to see any of them. I still have memories of the old old movies. which were great back then.
I'm more of a superman fan to be honest followed by the batman. spidey has always seemed a bit tame in comparison. given my limited exposeur. I look forward to being enlightened.

BountyHunterScum
05-05-2007, 08:25 PM
gosh. illegal copies already. Got given one today. and not some hokey filmed on a mobile phone in the theatre copy either. I'll be having a trilogy viewing on monday. as I've yet to see any of them. I still have memories of the old old movies. which were great back then.
I'm more of a superman fan to be honest followed by the batman. spidey has always seemed a bit tame in comparison. given my limited exposeur. I look forward to being enlightened.

Someone gave you a bootleg of Spidey-3?

LTBasker
05-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Wellll...that was sexy.

Granted, some scenes such as Peter's strutting seemed too long at points but it's forgivable in my eyes. In Spider-Man 1 we saw him bend over and take it, in Spider-Man 2 we saw him whine about it, now we see him get dirty and figure out how to finally cope. I'm hoping this means that Spider-Man 4 will be able to move away from that.

One thing I was really happy about is Venom, if you stare at the physical costume too long it starts to look hokey - obviously because it had to be done more realistic than in the comics. But, they handled it well. When it got to the point where you felt it any longer and it would look campy they switched to something else and showed him different in the next scene each time.

I'm still trying to process it all at the moment, but that's my initial rave of it. Overall, loved it and look forward to Spider-Man 4.

I'm thinking the Lizard was setup very well for being the villain in Spidey 4 since Dr. Connor still had the symbiote sample at the end. Possibly using some biologist's help to test it, eventually testing it on a live specimen (a lizard) to see how it effects it. He finds it has very enhanced regenerative abilities and so tries to combine DNA from each to make the serum and regrow his arm. Whatcha think?

Rocketboy
05-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking the Lizard was setup very well for being the villain in Spidey 4 since Dr. Connor still had the symbiote sample at the end. Possibly using some biologist's help to test it, eventually testing it on a live specimen (a lizard) to see how it effects it. He finds it has very enhanced regenerative abilities and so tries to combine DNA from each to make the serum and regrow his arm. Whatcha think?I realized that also.

It also made me wonder how Peter got that sample away from the rest of the symbiote and how he knew it was alive was to begin with. He kinda wakes up as the symbiote overtakes him, but it doesn't seem like he's really awake because when he does wake up he is in the black suit and has no idea where it came from.

JetsAndHeels
05-05-2007, 10:41 PM
I will just say this much.....

Bruce Campbell was great in it. Not that I was surprised by that. :)

jedibear
05-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Saw it today....
First, I'll admit I'm not the biggest Spidey fan, but the first two were okay enough...number one had the baggage of being an "origin" film and it pulled that off quite well with a well-cast group of players and it relied on using the basic "superhero" movie template to good effect...the second one added some flair with a more interesting villain and took the whole story a step further. They both had action/set piece scenes that were built into the story, not just the "stop-the-story-it's-time-for-money-shot" variety that often happens in this genre of movie...

Now we get to this new installment. Ugh. All the hoary cliché complaints that one can read in mainstream and various boards (including here) sadly apply...overlong, overblown, overstuffed and yet, thin on character interaction and development...and more. And the audience I saw it with was reacting negatively...inappropriate laughter, groaning, and heckling throughout.

I actually thought the movie was going along fine for the first half, striking the same tone as the other two, but then it just started racing downhill at a good clip with it's funky final battle (those newscasters were cringe-inducing, momentum-destroying wastes!) until it sputtered out to it's teary, almost bleak ending. (Where was Dr. Phil to initiate the group hug?)

My main impression was that the actors didn't care...the chemistry was gone or forced (Maguire plays evil as just plain bratty, Dunst was really awful [never sing again..PLEASE!]and Rosemary Harris looked slightly bewildered to be saying basically the same thing she's said in each film over & over again), it seemed like the effects guys blew their budget early and didn't have time to finish rendering some of the major scenes (the whole "Godzilla meets Hulk meets Mummy" Sandman stuff at the end was particularly bad...and must we have yet another sequence of perfectly rendered destruction like crumbling buildings and falling debris where NO ONE on the crowded streets below gets hurt? I'm as capable as the next guy at suspending my disbelief but...enough already) and the script was just filled with too much reliance on convenient coincidences and lame plot devices to try and cover the lazy writing. (Never mind the butler, I want to hear what the maid has to say!)

There was some fun....Sandman's "birth" had a lyrical (if illogical) beauty to it, Simmons chews the scenery again as JJ, Ms. Howard displays a bit of old-style Hollywood glamour as Gwen and it was a nice touch to have some of the supporting players say and do more this time (the suddenly-soft landlord, the helpful professor, JJ's secretary)...but it was all undone by a stuttering pace, a badly executed script and leads that looked clearly uncomfortable and over it.

This franchise needs a rest. Hopefully, if it returns in a few years it will be with some new blood and a new approach ala "Batman Returns" otherwise, I fear we'll be subjected to nipples and more good actors slumming for a paycheck in a simpering campfest. Let's hope not....

I'm not surprised this movie opened on so many screens and is breaking records...it's got the good will of Spidey fans who like the first two and Sony is gonna want to get as much bang for their buck on this mess as they can before WOM gets out and kills it...

But for me, "Spiderman 3" is the first turkey of the summer season...

mabudonicus
05-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Only things I didn't REALLY like about it were the odd pacing and the "Giant" Sandman

Harry was pretty much the star- sure he flip-slopped 180 but it was fun watching it- the whole grace period where Peter "just may have continued to forget everything" was well used (and I got goosebumps when he snapped back into it, GREAT creepy bit there)

Every part with "the goblin" in it was DAMN awesome (that's another minor gripe, the first fight in the film was maybe the best- tho the tandem action at the end was pretty decent too)

I also really dug the scene with Aunt May where Pete goes to give her the "good news" about Markos death

Sandman is one o' them characters- I REALLY didn't buy the "good man in a bad situation" tho, he really did play it cold blooded a bit too much to be the sympathetic character it seemed he was kinda supposed to be. His powers, if done right, would make him damn near invincible- since he WAS done right, it seems like the end battle was almost some sort of compromise- as someone else stated, it didn't seem llike much budget was left- he just kinda stood there wavin his arms a lot, like it would be too expensive for him to really mix it up the way he most likely would have

Venom- Surprisingly, I really enjoyed him, and I HATE the "character". Having Spidey face another web-slinger was REALLY neat- the first few minutes of their confrontation were fun, with Peter finding out at pretty much every turn that YES, his powers are hard to defend against and pretty useful when employed correctly. Venoms voice- I honestly loved it- none of this goofy-arse "spooky-Mark Hamill-doing-spooky-gay-thespian-voice" garbage, just a slightly deeper version of Brocks voice, which to me made good sense.

I still thought Harry came out best- that scene with "happy" Harry paintin' that still-life somehow cracked me right up, and that scene in the restaurant with that "pie" line was damn good too.

Only other thing I didn't "get" was what the heck was going on with Pete and MJ after the "abduction"- WHY didn't MJ ever tell Peter that Harry was behind her sudden change of heart?? or was he?? Why did Pete never mention, after MJ learned his spidey-secret, that Harry suspected him of killing Norman?? You would think that would have come up at some point. Was MJ just supposed to never talk to Pete again, thus saving him from death by Harry??
I was really lost on what exactly was supposed to be happening- any explanation would be good, too, I just couldn't come up with one...

OH and I guess one final "gripe"- WHERE THE HELL were his spider senses?? the only hint of them in the film was Brock mentioning them- Pete got blindsided EVERY TIME, and it was kinda distracting.

Also, I couldn't tell if it was some kind of joke or what, but the "plotline" about MJ being a lousy singer/actress was kinda funny- almost like someone was trying to "say" something in a not-too-subtle way :D

Overall, I would rate it as better than Spidey 1, but not quite as good as spidey 2- I still believe that Spidey 2 might have been the perfect film

Troopersmo recently came back to the asylum, and has resumed posting there

darthvyn
05-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Sandman is one o' them characters- I REALLY didn't buy the "good man in a bad situation" tho, he really did play it cold blooded a bit too much to be the sympathetic character it seemed he was kinda supposed to be. His powers, if done right, would make him damn near invincible- since he WAS done right, it seems like the end battle was almost some sort of compromise- as someone else stated, it didn't seem llike much budget was left- he just kinda stood there wavin his arms a lot, like it would be too expensive for him to really mix it up the way he most likely would have

well, it was really venom's plot, he just roped sandman into it... same as the original carjacking where he was pulled along into the robbery and killed ben by mistake. i see what you're saying, but if they made him as lethal as he could be, he would've wiped everyone out. that being said, that's not the guy he wanted to be, so he played his part in venom's little game as non-lethal as possible.

OH and I guess one final "gripe"- WHERE THE HELL were his spider senses?? the only hint of them in the film was Brock mentioning them- Pete got blindsided EVERY TIME, and it was kinda distracting.

yeah, i thought of that one too... except that the venom symbiote has the ability to block his spider-sense, so it works when fighting him. he was warned of harry's initial attack when he was riding his scooter, it was just too fast for him to react. other than that, one could make the argument that his audacity while wearing the black costume made him cocky enough for him to ignore it and he got sloppy... but it didn't seem to matter, given that the symbiote gave him a boost in his powers.

Overall, I would rate it as better than Spidey 1, but not quite as good as spidey 2- I still believe that Spidey 2 might have been the perfect film

well, after most of the reviews i'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, as it was my opinion that got your hopes up. just glad it lived up to the hype! otherwise my credibility with the mebs would be shot!

mabudonicus
05-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Uhhh- you have "crediblilty"?? When did that happen?? :D

No, seriously, I had heard a few other pretty good things about it amidst all the bad (tho whoever the tool was in the ABC soundbite saying "WORST MOVIE I EVER SAW MAN, IT WAS STUPID" came across as maybe the dumbest person on earth at that specific moment) so I wasn't going to pin it on you, Vyn.

I forgot about the spidey-sense blocking, now it makes sense

Oh and how many possible lines did you come up with during Harry's final scene- I was totally waiting for him to make some crack about "so THIS is what happened to my dad eh?? Now it makes sense!" since it would have fit with the rest of the film

Doc connors, too, forgot to mention- not too much of him, but he FINALLY seemed like a comic-book character to me- he was a bit too "real" in the last film but the "eccentric scientist" was well played in this one- and speaking of science- how funny was that pullout near the beginning, when Marko jumps that fence- that sign cracked me right up, followed by the ridiculous sequence with the particle-thingy "Probably a bird- it'll take off when we fire it up" WTF kind of "science" was that??? Well, obviously, Marvel super-human-makin' "sceince" but seriously, a really funny touch there

And I totally understand- the Original sandman basically didn't use his power too much at first, once he branched out to other books he kinda got pumped up, and really, if you're going to have a dude made entirely out of sand, placing limits on him would have been goofy- I just wish he wouldn't have been "big" for the whole last scene, he really didn't come off as very effective and I didn't realy understand why he wouldn't have been more of a compliment to Venom- it's like the planned on Harry showing up or something, I don't know how else to put what I'm gettin at.....

I'm not one to see films too much in the theatre but I am gonna snag it as soon as it comes out proper on tha DVD, I bet it looks real sweet on the small screen.

It's nice and sunny where Pegger and JJreason are right now

Jayspawn
05-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Saw it last night....

First of all, I liked it. It had good comicbook-style action. The acting is fair/good/great on a whole.

Toby was good as overconfident Spidey. He has the part down, but after working soooo long and hard to nab MJ, Peter would be a little more attentive in his humble way. Aahh, I wasnt so wild about the Dark Peter yes he came off more bratty and mean. Peter by nature would have taken the suit off sooner. There were too many shots of Dark Peter strutting down the street -I get it already! Also how many styles can they do Toby Maguire's hair? He must have the most versatile hair in Hollywood.

The lack of communication between MJ and Peter is a killer. They're BOTH not talking to eachother -relationship killer just as it is in real life. It makes the movie frusterating.

Grace was good as Brock/Venom. Is he reallly dead? Certainly looks like it but you never know. I originally thought that he was too wimpy looking to play Venom. I also didnt hear the name Venom once in the movie???

The standout for me was James Franco as Harry/New Goblin. Aside from Spiderman hes a terrific actor! All of his scenes were fantastic! I liked how they showed Harry/Norman's stash of helmets and gliders. I wasnt wild about the New Goblin's glider until I saw his setup. I think Franco has great chemistry with Maguire and Dunst. Just sucks that they killed him off. Great death scene though.

Jargo
05-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Someone gave you a bootleg of Spidey-3?
Indeed they did. I get given quite a few bootleg movies. Decent quality too. No idea specifically where they originated. I don't ask questions. but it's not hard to guess where.

General_Grievous
05-06-2007, 01:40 PM
It made $148 million this weekend in the U.S. alone.

Amazing Indeed! $375M Worldwide for Spider-Man 3!

Source: Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/), Variety (http://www.variety.com/)

May 6, 2007

Columbia Pictures' Spider-Man 3 exploded into conventional theaters and IMAX, smashing the opening weekend record previously held by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($135.6 million). Spidey earned an incredible $148 million in a record 4,252 theaters domestically, which also resulted in the biggest average per theater ever - $34,807. Spider-Man 2 opened to $88.1 million in 2004 and Spider-Man to $114.8 million in 2002.

On Friday, the third film broke the records for biggest opening day and single day, making $59 million compared to "Dead Man's Chest's" $55.8 million opening day.

The Sam Raimi-directed film added $227 million from May 1st through today internationally as well, bringing the worldwide total to $375 million! The studio is said to have spend $258 million on the production of the movie and another $100 million on the marketing.

The movie has also claimed the largest gap domestically between 1st place and 2nd place ever. DreamWorks' Disturbia earned $5.7 million in second place for its fourth weekend, so the difference between the two is $143.3 million, or 96.14%.

Captain Jack who?

Phantom-like Menace
05-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Most of my comments have been said.

I'm glad you mentioned lack of communication, Jayspawn, because I told my friends that every problem Pete and MJ had could have been solved with a memo board on a refrigerator: "Peter, got fired today. Don't rub it in.--MJ"

I'm also glad some people have pointed out that they never said the name Venom, because I was really hoping to hear it and was annoyed that I didn't.

My friends felt the Peter "You Can Tell by the Way I Use My Walk" Parker scenes were too long, but I enjoyed them, but I'll admit the jazz club scene was a little much. While I liked the idea of the scene, he might as well have been advertising that he had special abilities. I did like that Gwen apologized to MJ since it gave the character more to do. The milk and cookies were making me laugh.

Sandman was pretty much a waste for me. I could have done without him, and the two-bit criminal from the first one (the one who killed Uncle Ben as far as I'm concerned) probably would have mentioned that his partner killed Uncle Ben. Too retconned for me. And there's no way I would have forgiven Sandman. My friends suggested mixing in some concrete and giving Aunt May a buttload of garden gnomes. I suggested spinning him into a pot, planting a corpse flower and laughing once a year that Sandman stinks like death left out in the sun.

I wanted less Topher Grace and more Venom. I was hoping Conners was going to tell Peter that the symbiote responded to sonics, but Pete just happened to find out and Conners was just there to explain the obvious.

I suppose that was the most logical way to end the Harry plot, and I'm glad someone else mentioned the pie line. That was just a great delivery. Unfortunately I was laughing throughout his death scene because after Harry said "friends" and Peter said "best friends," I was waiting for "BFF" and "best friends with benefits."

The one thing I think this movie needed to do that it didn't was end with Peter finally proposing to MJ.

Otherwise, despite the above comments, I liked the first one, loved the second one, and felt the third was more or less comparable to the first.

Am I the only person who thinks it's weird that when Peter and MJ are hanging out on his webs, they're lying around on his excretions? I would think that would take some of the romance out of it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2007, 02:36 PM
It made $148 million this weekend in the U.S. alone.

Captain Jack who?

Yeah, dude, i'd hate to burst your bubble, but POTC will break Spidey 3's record. It's kind of the nature of the beast: Spidey 2 sets record, Pirates 2 beats it; Spidey 3 sets record, Pirates 3 breaks it. I'm not saying it'll be a better film/on par/worse, just saying, it's how these things work. :whip:

General_Grievous
05-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I was referring to the second POTC, Guyute. But I'm still not sure about the opening weekend for the third one. At this point, it's possible to either break Spidey 3's record or fall short of it.

mabudonicus
05-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Honestly, them POTC films kinda totally suck- but that's for a different thread ;)
:beard: Iso % Baws

Lotta people gonna be gunnin' for 'Ducks after this post

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Moving back on topic.

Rumors are circulating for a fourth movie. According to Freeze Dried Movies: in the running are Lizard and Carnage. This would make sense as Doc Connors still had some of the symbiote with him and this could lead him to his experiments and then to Lizard and could then attach itself to somebody else and woolah, Carnage. Frankly, I don't want a fourth one if the whole cast doesn't come back as that would be silly. we'll see though. :thumbsup:

scruffziller
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
I will just say this much.....

Bruce Campbell was great in it. Not that I was surprised by that. :)

Yes,......

and nothing will top the Lord of The Rings Saga.

All I can say is that if Raimi does do The Hobbit, it better be PJ quality or I will come down there and kick his buttocks!!!!!:mad:

bigbarada
05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Frankly, I don't want a fourth one if the whole cast doesn't come back as that would be silly. we'll see though. :thumbsup:

Who's not coming back?

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Who's not coming back?

Stan Lee and Bruce Campbell.
I hear "Bonesaw" Randy Savage is returning though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Who's not coming back?

Well, Maguire has stated several times he saw the journey as a trilogy and Raimi said he wasn't sure he'd be back; and Dunst added that if one doesn't do it, the rest might not, etc. It's too early to speculate. If the script is right and whatnot, i'm sure everybody would return.

darthvyn
05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, Maguire has stated several times he saw the journey as a trilogy and Raimi said he wasn't sure he'd be back; and Dunst added that if one doesn't do it, the rest might not, etc. It's too early to speculate. If the script is right and whatnot, i'm sure everybody would return.

there was a lot of grumbling like that, but the studios have said that they're going ahead with 4, 5, and 6, and they'd all be pretty stupid not to maintain their cash cows. they've also all said that "if the story were right" they'd be back.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
there was a lot of grumbling like that, but the studios have said that they're going ahead with 4, 5, and 6, and they'd all be pretty stupid not to maintain their cash cows. they've also all said that "if the story were right" they'd be back.

Yeah, and plus, do you think audiences would go see if it was a whole new cast? I kinda get irked when that happens, especially if it's a cast we've known for three films. We'll have to wait and see if Toby, Sam and Dunst come back. I'm assuming they will. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
05-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah, and plus, do you think audiences would go see if it was a whole new cast? I kinda get irked when that happens, especially if it's a cast we've known for three films.Kinda like the way those James Bond films tanked when they replaced actors.
;)

darthvyn
05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Kinda like the way those James Bond films tanked when they replaced actors.
;)

somehow that's one franchise that's survived replacement of the main character's actor, but die-hard fans and those that were there for the beginning will tell you that connery was the only worth-while bond.

bigbarada
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
somehow that's one franchise that's survived replacement of the main character's actor, but die-hard fans and those that were there for the beginning will tell you that connery was the only worth-while bond.

I've heard a lot of good things about this new James Bond and for that franchise it can be reasonably explained since "James Bond" could just be a code name and not actually referring to an individual.... at least that's how I've always interpreted it.

I think it would be a terrible idea to recast Peter or MJ. If one of them leaves, then I think it would be better for them to just kill the whole franchise. Anything to keep this from becoming like the Batman films.

Tycho
05-07-2007, 01:18 AM
I loved Spider-Man 3. I just saw it this morning. I need to catch up on everyone's comments, but I'll add now that I was impressed with James Franco's (Harry / Green Goblin 2's) performance.

He was awesome as the lead in the WWI Fighter Pilot Ace movie last year: "Flyboys" and I hope to see him do future films.

My friend and Star Wars buddy I saw the film with leaned over and asked if Franco would not have made an awesome Anakin Skywalker? I liked Hayden, but I'm sure James could have done awesome with the role. His range as the good and then tormented / twisted Harry was one of the best performances of the movie. The guy playing Sandman (when he was in human form) was great, too.

I did not have sympathy or any identification at all with Eddie Brock / Venom. I supposed that is how it's meant to be, but that's weak in my opinion.

Meanwhile, the first 3 Spidey movies will be worth watching over again for the sake of Franco's performance in them aside from everything else. (Toby Maguire was probably the best in the first movie as we were introduced to him - but his "bad Peter," was also pretty good for the humor in it.)

General_Grievous
05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I hear "Bonesaw" Randy Savage is returning though.

....You're joking, right?

Tycho
05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I know from the rest of your posts that Bruce Campbell played the French waiter. Yes, he was funny.

But who is he? Why is he such a big deal to so many?

kool-aid killer
05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Bruce Campbell is the star of the cult classic "Evil Dead" movies.

I seen Spidey 3 yesterday, overall i thought it was a good movie. I liked the fight scenes, i thought those were great. I wasnt a fan of the whole black suit Spidey/Venom aspect of it. I thought the movie would of been better off with Spidey having to face the Sandman and Harry, leaving the other stuff for the next movie. Or maybe its just because i thought Eric Foreman was a terrible choice to have in as Eddie Brock. I might catch it again at the dollar theater.

pbarnard
05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
I know from the rest of your posts that Bruce Campbell played the French waiter. Yes, he was funny.

But who is he? Why is he such a big deal to so many?

He's also a favorite of Rami from his days back on Hercules and Xena shows. That's where the definite campy stuff comes from, not that comic books are all serious either. Allegories, yes, camp yes. Does it strike a nice balance? Sure.

But as pointed out by people here, and critics, this movie suffers from too many plots that seemed to be forced because this is it for the three stars and director.

Tycho
05-07-2007, 03:42 PM
It would be a shame for Raimi and Tobey to not make more movies.

I think Kirsten Dunst could be done with the franchise, but a cameo appearance in S-M 4 to give closure to her character would be cool.

It's too bad about James Franco being killed off from the franchise. He was great in my opinion.

JetsAndHeels
05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
....You're joking, right?

Yes of course I am joking. :)

General_Grievous
05-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Thank god, because there's only so much of Bone Saw I can take. :D

preacher
05-09-2007, 09:03 PM
This movie was entertaining - like ID4 was entertaining. A whole of action and absolutely no substance to the story. It was basically a repeat of the love triangle theme estqablished in 2.

What I think worked:
1) Sandman's birth and backstory
2) New goblin weapons
3) Yet another tie in to Doctor Connors - good setup for Lizard
4) Topher Grace as Eddie Brock
5) Symbiots movement
6) Symbiots origin - wasn't overblown like in the cartoon or comics.
7) Sandman in general was just very VERY cool.
8) Venom's design was cool. Really liked Eddie's new teeth.

Thats about it.

What did not work:
1) New goblin outfit was retarded. The whole techno-skater thing was really lame.
2) Venom did not come across as much of a threat. There should have been more scenes after Eddie Brock receives the symbiot. Eddie knows about May. He knows about MJ. He knows - a lot. It was very poorly explained why Spider Man's spider sense failed him. Eddie referred himself in the first person. When venom emerges he is supposed to say we when he refers to himself.
3) The interlude where Peter dances is just stupid. I can't believe the director felt compelled to put crap like that in a scene instead of scene that established Venom was a real threat.
4) New goblin conveniently losing his memory. Obviously so that the character would be taken out of the way to do - what exactly. Establish that Spiderman's infamy had gone to Peter's head? Could've been done much more effectivley
5) Gwen Stacey's role was insignificant. Although clearly the movie tried to make it seem like she was.
6) Cameo appearances by supporting characters. Ok Bruce Campbell's appearance in all three Spiderman's is pretty funny. But the manager of Peter's apartment?
7) The whole doorknob gag fell flat about the third time it was tried.

Generally I think this movie tried to do too much and each subplot interfered with the flow of each other. This was early poorly edited or rushed or something. I just can't believe that as excellent as the first two Spidey's were, this one was so average. I enjoyed Hulk more than this. I think if Sam had stuck to his guns and said screw you Marvel this movie is about Sandman so get over it it would have been so much better. Venom's inclusion was clearly a pandering, but it failed miserably. I would have much preferred more attention being given to Venom and if that meant we had to wait til Spidey 4 that would have been fine with me.

plasticfetish
05-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Got back from seeing the film (IMAX verison) just a little while ago, and though I enjoyed it, I'd have to say it didn't feel like a Sam Raimi film at all. It just didn't have the clean editing and stylized moments that the others (especially SM2) had.

I suppose I agree with all of preacher's points, but at the same time, the whole "forgiving" theme does tie in to each of those subplots.

I dunno... maybe I'll have to think about this one a bit.

JediTricks
05-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, after a bunch of false-starts, I finally saw it, and I must say that while it was entertaining, I was disappointed too. Spidey and Spidey 2 for me were a 9 and an 8, this was a 6 in theater at best (and it'll be a 5 at home), due in large part to really thoughtless writing.

- The movie starts with the most artless credits yet, this time just clips from the previous films to get the uninitiated up to speed, and the actual film time after time uses this sloppy and crass technique to remind viewers why a character says or does something in this film.

- Very few of the character motivations feel organic, everyone's character is much thinner and everything feels very manufactured ONLY to create drama and move the story along in an awkward fashion.

- Mary Jane is even worse here than the others, 3/4s of her scenes are just reaction shots, so they padded the other 1/4 with some bogus plot about her being annoyed with Peter's newfound selfishness. But at least we get to hear her sing in a nasally, flat voice TWICE. And Kirsten Dunst lost too much weight, she doesn't look well here and it's distraction. Then she does what Harry says about betraying Pete to protect him without warning Pete or giving a sign, totally not the spunky MJ she should have been (hell, even Lana limp-noodle Lang/Luthor in Smallville's starting to pull out of that same goofy nosedive).

- Peter's character is written to be a self-absorbed jerk long before the symbiote comes in but JUST to Mary Jane. Why? Where did this come from? Seems like this was just a way to fabricate drama and nothing else. Selfish thoughtless jerk towards Mary Jane, how is that authentic to the character? And why make him an Emo when he's supposed to get badass? That was embarrassing to watch. Pete being downright creepy about Flint Marko's death to Aunt May felt way way way wrong. And where's the Spidey banter and toughness, why is that aspect missing worst in this film? Also, why is it that for the first time they really make Tobey Maguire seem short and like he's wearing a muscle-suit rather than the average height and lean, cut Spidey of the previous 2? He hasn't changed height, so it must be how they're shooting him.

- Sandman is a really lame entry, he's a lame villain in general and even worse here as he's totally thinned out and emasculated so he's another overly-sympathetic movie villain. Making him only bad to save a daughter was really cheap, having him kill Uncle Ben was a total betrayal of Spidey 1, and letting him go and the end was unforgivable - he's still a friggin' criminal! And he's inconsistent: punch him and it goes right through, but later it doesn't; he's got these sand powers but instead of just sneaking through airvents into jewelery stores and stealing diamonds or slipping cash under the doors of banks he makes this big ruckus on an armored car that fails miserably; he's an intelligent person making all these big moves but when he gets any bigger he turns into a dumb "grrr" monster. And he's really nothing in the film at all, just a generic super-powered troublemaker meant to set up a few other scenes and a couple big fights.

- Sandman's origin: falls into an open pit of science where spinning lights circle sand and do NOTHING ELSE but turn humans into supervillains!!! What the hell, that's the best they could come up with?!?

- Gwen Stacy was a waste of time, we barely establish her as a classmate of Peter's then she's a model without any mention and dating Eddie Brock to boot? Right after she's basically mirroring the Mary Jane role from the first movie until Peter does something so cruel it's horrific. But since she's a name star, she shows up at the end at Harry's funeral even though there's no mention she's ever had a single meeting with the guy. And everything just said there goes double for her pointless father in the film. The only good thing about her is that Bryce Howard is far less hard on the eyes than Kirsten Dunst.

- Harry's switch to evil was too rushed and too extreme-sports, some of it was ok but his character is sacrificed to make way for the New Goblin, then they use amnesia to get that out of the way which is certainly nothing new to comic books but doesn't play as well onscreen. Then Harry remembers again and his big movie to revenge on Spider-man is to make Peter sad about his girlfriend? The real Goblin would at least have taken her hostage, this was NOTHING! And the final battle where he comes back and saves the day and then dies in the most contrived manner possible, that was pretty wasteful and goofy and underwhelming and not very Spider-man to me. Totally unforgivable is how Harry's change of heart comes about, all of a sudden the butler pulls an Alfred and he's in the Goblincave and revealing a vital, salient point about Norman's death totally out of the blue - if this old coot gave a care about the Osborne family the way he claims, there's no way he would have held that back and let Harry foster that anger to the point of self-destruction that we were seeing in SM2 - this was TOTALLY shameless.

- The symbiote falling from the sky was lame lame lame, right next to Pete because the story HAD to be that way. At least the damn thing could have been brought to ESU for study and that would be how it got attracted to Spidey's power. How did the symbiote get back in Pete's possession anyway when it was last seen on the moped which got trashed and ditched when Harry attacked Pete?

- The black suit did nothing for the story, Peter didn't really use it to go big, we didn't get to see him go out of control with other baddies, he just throws it on whenever the story requires it.

- Spidey seems almost TOO popular with the crowd in this film, that felt a tad off, granted he should be appreciated but this was mass adoration.

- Eddie Brock was a disaster in this film, they wrote it like it was Eric Foreman from That '70s Show without the good aspects of that character, so instead of giving Topher Grace a new part to play they go the opposite and have him recreate all the lame stuff he's done before. It was just ugly how lazily this character was done.

- Venom the blended character sucked eggs, he's just basically a generic angry supervillain, nothing interesting. As deus ex machina as the symbiote was finding Peter, it's twice as bad with it finding Eddie since it now requires both Pete and Eddie to be in the same place at the same time when this big thing goes down. Venom's not very big, he's got this weird "young" face on a small head, Topher's voice sounds totally wrong coming out of this body and his head on the body is ridiculous-looking, he doesn't really DO much of anything except a particularly underwhelming team-up, and the solution to the problem of Venom was far too pat. As bad as Sandman was, at least he felt like a major part of the film was about that, but Venom was totally tacked on and needless - and while I don't like the character at all, I am able to recognize that the character deserved FAR better than this waste of time.

- Jameson felt really shoehorned in, some of his bits were funny but much of his stuff felt labored and flat, throwing him into a crowd scene for a quick laugh made no sense. And he's not the only repeat character we spend WAY too much time with, when did the landlord and Ursula become supporting characters and why? We spent more time with them than with Aunt May!

- The big crane scene where no villains are even involved reeked of over-the-top video gamery, nothing felt authentic about the way that played out, not the insane amount of destruction, not the giant crazy crane, not the debris, not the people standing around watching not once but TWICE as it comes towards them.

- The end battle felt very much like a lame set piece, lifeless and stuck in autopilot, and they could have taken MJ out of the scene entirely without changing a thing (except that then MJ couldn't have been in danger OVER AND OVER AND OVER).

- There are too many villains and then too many heroes and too many villains, and none of them really amount to anything: not black suit spidey (I'm considering him as a villain), not hero Harry, not Venom, and not Sandman. I was especially disappointed in Thomas Hayden Church and Topher Grace's performances here, maybe the directing was bad or maybe this isn't their kind of movie but underwhelming work is not what I was expecting from either.

- Some of the visual effects didn't pay off for me, a few times when Spidey or Peter are being thrown around it just felt too hollow, and Sandman was largely a flop for me especially when he's part actor and part effects (the subway train rubbing his face off was very badly done).

- The film's pacing really suffers once the black suit comes into the picture, from there it totally gets snagged in little moments that don't work and teen soap opera nonsense and loses its footing.

- Largely, the movie felt like it was done by another director, a cheaper one who was lazy about the writing and editing and just wanted to get a big action flick into the can, thus creating a somewhat exciting but ultimately hollow mess - that's 10 times worse though because Raimi had really brought it in the previous ones, making this that much more disappointing.

- Even the score was weak, I noticed it sounded off right before they showed Elfman's anti-credit in the beginning, and the first scene into the movie was a generic sound trying desperately to be something more.

- Why was there no use of Spidey-sense this time around? Seemed like Pete kept getting caught off-guard over and over and over when only Venom should be able to do that - hell, that's one of Venom's big powers over Spidey and it's totally neutered!

As for recasting, I think first they need a new director and writer team, Raimi's directing feels like he's gotten bored with it and feels too controlled by the studio, his love for it feels thin. If they stick with Raimi, I don't think other actors will be possible here, but if he leaves I think they should absolutely ditch the entire cast all at once and just go a different route, something that isn't so expensive and aging so fast, and the leads should fit their characters in the broad sense a little better (MJ's never worked for me with Dunst, and Maguire only plays young Pete well, it's Raimi who made them work at all, basically he cast against type and used their acting strengths to fit them in, but in SM3 this slips across the board).

JediTricks
05-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Bruce Campbell is the star of the cult classic "Evil Dead" movies.

He's also a favorite of Rami from his days back on Hercules and Xena shows. That's where the definite campy stuff comes from, not that comic books are all serious either. What isn't being said between these 2 posts is that Raimi and Campbell co-created the Evil Dead series together, before that they were in high school together and created an amateur film clique making homemade super-8 movies with their pals.

What did not work:
4) New goblin conveniently losing his memory. Obviously so that the character would be taken out of the way to do - what exactly. Establish that Spiderman's infamy had gone to Peter's head? Could've been done much more effectivleyThe part about Harry's amnesia I thought worked ok (not great) on the comic book level. Spidey's fame going to his head was so sloppy it was painful though, felt like it was thought up at a studio meeting.

scruffziller
05-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Yes,......

and nothing will top the Lord of The Rings Saga.

All I can say is that if Raimi does do The Hobbit, it better be PJ quality or I will come down there and kick his buttocks!!!!!:mad:

Sorry for the "naughty language" JMG. But your edit made me laugh even harder.:D

JediTricks
05-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Changed the title, it's been a while since we needed to mention it was merged, and spoilers are over now since it's out.

preacher
05-11-2007, 05:52 PM
JT,

You could sure give Ebert a run for his money! I couldn't said it better myself. By the way, when I say that the Sandman origin worked, I guess I meant his initial emergence is what was really cool. I do agree that Raimi missed some opportunities to really exploit what a criminal mastermind could do if he were made of sand. Your thoughts about oozing in between doors would have been interesting to see.

The biggest problem with the movie was that it tried to do WAY too much. Which is such a shame because I think the Sandman could've been a very interesting villain if Raimi had focused on him instead of trying to figure out a way to weave Venom into the flick. Having the Sandman kill Ben didn't bother me all that much. Anymore than Spiderman's webbing coming from spinnerettes genetically graffed onto his wrists bothered me during viewing movie one.

darthvyn
05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I do agree that Raimi missed some opportunities to really exploit what a criminal mastermind could do if he were made of sand. Your thoughts about oozing in between doors would have been interesting to see.

who ever said he was a "criminal mastermind"? it was well established that he was a common petty thug who was easily manipulated by other more dastardly people (wheelman to "the burglar", lackey to venom...)

Tycho
05-11-2007, 11:09 PM
JT,

Your thoughts about oozing in between doors would have been interesting to see.

Smallville did a character like this who murdered Clark Kent's girlfriend (Alicia Baker) in one of the show's most powerful episodes. JT is correct, the Spidey movie could have handled it better. However, Sandman in Spider-Man 3 was a sympathetic character. The guy who faced the young pre-Superman was a psychopath. Clark was using his heat-vision powers to burn his sand into glass, btw. He was enraged! Lois Lane (not yet his girlfriend) stopped him from the point where he would have murdered this "DC version" of a Sandman.

So on TV - with a TV budget - looking just as good for the most part - with smarter use of the powers - and better writing for the story.

Slicker
05-12-2007, 01:53 AM
I saw it last week and was very underwhelmed. Emo Parker just didn't work for me and the villians were all unnessecary, IMO.

I guess the fact that I spent 1,800 yen (about $16 American) to see it made me want a decent movie...

Lord Malakite
05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
- Eddie Brock was a disaster in this film, they wrote it like it was Eric Foreman from That '70s Show without the good aspects of that character, so instead of giving Topher Grace a new part to play they go the opposite and have him recreate all the lame stuff he's done before. It was just ugly how lazily this character was done.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the moment I heard Topher Grace was going to play Eddie Brock/Venom I just shook my head. That was a horrible casting decision. Topher just doesn't fit the part. I think if there was any part that he fit in a Spidey film it would have to be as an alternate to Maguire's part.

Tycho
05-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I just saw it for my 2nd time, the show letting out only 50 minutes before I'm making this post. I love this movie!

I sat there enjoying it thinking, "I want to see this even a third time!"

I liked the movie overall, even better with my 2nd viewing. I liked Venom's development a little better this time. Sandman's character Flint Markos was great! My favorite is still Harry's Green Goblin (from this movie). Dr. Octopus and the original Willem DaFoe's Goblin were both better, but this movie was awesome!

I'm so into Spidey!

JetsAndHeels
05-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm so into Spidey!

Traitor. :(

General_Grievous
05-13-2007, 01:14 AM
It's gotta be Venom. Everyone loves Venom.

Tycho
05-13-2007, 02:34 AM
I liked Venom, but he was my least favorite addition to this film.

What was going on with Harry and Sandman was much more interesting.

Eddie Brock only barely qualified as a two-dimensional character. The others were more fleshed out.

jjreason
05-13-2007, 08:57 AM
I had my problems with the Ron Burgundy/Peter Parker episode in the Jazz Club, Sand-Man's Giant-Size and soft side, and the lack of Spidey vs Venom action.

It tried to do too much, and it went WAY to far over the silly side with respect to Dark Peter. This is a movie that I would have made a million small changes to, just to suit myself (much like TPM). I'm not sure if I'll be able to get over my dislikes enough to ever really like Spidey 3.

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 04:32 AM
JT,

You could sure give Ebert a run for his money! I couldn't said it better myself. Thanks, I appreciate that a lot. :cool: Roger Ebert is the film reviewer I've always looked at and tried to think like when it comes to reviewing, he's a man who deny recommendation for a few flaws in the highest of drama while in the next breath recommend the raunchiest tripe because it was entertaining and honest to what the filmmakers were trying to do.

My post was a weird thing, I went into it expecting to just say a couple short things but once I started typing it all flowed out like the dam had burst.

By the way, when I say that the Sandman origin worked, I guess I meant his initial emergence is what was really cool.Ah, that's very different then. Do you mean as a character where he shows up running from the law, or a superpowered sand-thing that tries to reform its body? The former I didn't feel anything about, it just "was", like a kid crossing the street in front of a runaway truck. The latter I thought was eerie and creepy and icky, the sand reforming and failing over and over was pretty engaging (it's meant to elicit a negative emotional response I think, art is meant to elicit some sort of emotional response so why not, right?) but having it be his daughter's locket that drove him to form into man-sand left me cold again.

I just realized, why would his daughter have a locket with HER picture in it? Staying up late makes me think of weird things. :p

I do agree that Raimi missed some opportunities to really exploit what a criminal mastermind could do if he were made of sand. Your thoughts about oozing in between doors would have been interesting to see. Yeah, it would be nice if one of these villains could actually be GOOD at villainy, really baffle the hero at first - Green Goblin was baffling but wasn't particularly good at finding a motive for why he was doing what he was doing, while Doc Ock had a clear motive but his actions were so loudly blunt that Spidey never had to question what was coming next.

The biggest problem with the movie was that it tried to do WAY too much. Which is such a shame because I think the Sandman could've been a very interesting villain if Raimi had focused on him instead of trying to figure out a way to weave Venom into the flick. Having the Sandman kill Ben didn't bother me all that much. Anymore than Spiderman's webbing coming from spinnerettes genetically graffed onto his wrists bothered me during viewing movie one.Unfortunately, trying to do too much has been a common staple of comic book movie sequels for the past 20 years, it's like they are trying to cover up a lack of ideas by packing in a dozen comic books into 2 hours of storytelling. And you can tell there's a lack of ideas because they went for a new Goblin and Venom, they're 2 characters that they know will sell well, but Sandman could have just as easily teamed up with Vulture or any of Spidey's rogue's gallery and this story wouldn't have changed (well, Gobby not being there might have, but that wasn't very Spidey either) - it's almost like they had a basic script with Sandman, knew it wasn't working and just threw the kitchen sink at it.

Vyn's right that Sandman is a mere thug character, but he was a fairly effective foil for Spidey when he was first introduced in the comics (the movie touched on that only briefly when Spidey punched through Sandman, but they threw that down the drain pretty fast).

However, Sandman in Spider-Man 3 was a sympathetic character. The guy who faced the young pre-Superman was a psychopath. Clark was using his heat-vision powers to burn his sand into glass, btw. He was enraged! Lois Lane (not yet his girlfriend) stopped him from the point where he would have murdered this "DC version" of a Sandman.

So on TV - with a TV budget - looking just as good for the most part - with smarter use of the powers - and better writing for the story.Making nearly all the villains in the Spidey movie universe sympathetic is one of the things I think the movies fail the franchise at time and time again. The great thing about the original film Green Goblin is that the guy is almost sympathetic yet clearly a deranged and dangerous and nasty guy. Sandman didn't even need to be that though, he could have just been a thug jerk who was good at using sand powers to steal stuff and eventually tangled with Spidey - but no. As for Smallville, Clark does have powers Spidey cannot use, Spidey originally defeated Sandman in the comics via a vacuum cleaner so the guy is kinda lame.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the moment I heard Topher Grace was going to play Eddie Brock/Venom I just shook my head. That was a horrible casting decision. Topher just doesn't fit the part. I think if there was any part that he fit in a Spidey film it would have to be as an alternate to Maguire's part.It was a questionable piece of casting, no doubt about it, and I agree that he'd make a decent Peter Parker/Spidey (he's got more wit than Maguire's version), or perhaps they could have had him be Ben Reilly (not that I'm suggesting they do clone saga in the films!!!), I think as a villain he would have made a far better Mysterio than Eddie Brock. But when they said Topher was Eddie, it did fit the Ultimates version of Eddie Brock and that might have worked too (even made Venom be less silly than falling from the sky randomly)... only they didn't go that way either.

Traitor. :(It's easy for him, he has no attachment to Spidey in ANY other form. That I guess is who this movie was made for, people who didn't even care about the first 2 films, much less the popular '90s cartoon or, heaven forbid, the comics. As a generic action flick, this movie fits there pretty well. As Spidey, it's a letdown.

I don't think this movie could have been saved by better editing, I think what they filmed ultimately was too flawed at the foundation to really work right, and while it can be cleaned up to some degree, it's never going to be "right".

JetsAndHeels
05-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok I have a question for you guys here that are big Spiderman buffs. This may be a dumb thing to ask but still I don't care I want to know.

In the movie when Peter is out with the black suit on for the first time, he swings up onto a building top and takes the mask off. He says "isn't that something". Later in the film when he is at the church in the belltower he is trying to rip the suit off. There is a shot of him attempting to get the mask off, where he grabs it behind his neck and it wont rip off..it just seems to blend back together.

My question is this: howcome earlier he was able to take the mask off, but then later in that scene at the church it wouldn't budge? Did it have to do with the sound coming from the bell or what? Or was it because he was not trying to remove it for good in the first scene?

darthvyn
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
it probably had to do with his intentions and emotions at the time: in the first instance you mention, he was excited by the power of the suit, and wasn't taking it off to get rid of it, whereas in the second instance, he was trying to be rid of it permanently. the suit recognized the difference in these intentions.

JetsAndHeels
05-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks darthvyn. I can understand that the suit would feed off Peter's anger and his desire to get that suit off of him for good. Brought out the evil in it.

Rocketboy
05-17-2007, 05:25 PM
It also appears that the suit doesn't need to be whole since Peter takes a sample of it to Dr. Conners.

Lord Malakite
05-18-2007, 04:00 AM
In the movie when Peter is out with the black suit on for the first time, he swings up onto a building top and takes the mask off. He says "isn't that something". Later in the film when he is at the church in the belltower he is trying to rip the suit off. There is a shot of him attempting to get the mask off, where he grabs it behind his neck and it wont rip off..it just seems to blend back together.

My question is this: howcome earlier he was able to take the mask off, but then later in that scene at the church it wouldn't budge? Did it have to do with the sound coming from the bell or what? Or was it because he was not trying to remove it for good in the first scene?

I'd have to agree with darthvyn. In the comics and the 90's cartoon the symbiote became the black suit itself (from the clips I've seen of the movie it appears the black suit is just the symbiote covering his traditional red/blue suit). Whenever Parker wanted to to become Spiderman or vice versa the symbiote could read his mind and shape shift into the proper outfit (he didn't have to physically remove it like in the movie). After Parker learned how the symbiote was altering his brain physically and mentally through its symbiotic relationship Parker tried to expel the symbiote from his body by mentally and physically resisting it (which is why the symbiote refused to come off). Parker was only able to rid himself of the symbiote during the bell tower scene because the deafening sound was one of two known things (the other being fire) capable of hurting and weakening the symbiote.

It also appears that the suit doesn't need to be whole since Peter takes a sample of it to Dr. Conners.
It be like if one of us gave a blood or tissue sample to the doctor. The symbiote is a living sentient entity. It can heal its wounds like any other living creature.

darthvyn
05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I'd have to agree with darthvyn. In the comics and the 90's cartoon the symbiote became the black suit itself (from the clips I've seen of the movie it appears the black suit is just the symbiote covering his traditional red/blue suit).

something like that... it's more that it infects the suit, but then changes the properties of the fabric to become an extension of itself.

Whenever Parker wanted to to become Spiderman or vice versa the symbiote could read his mind and shape shift into the proper outfit (he didn't have to physically remove it like in the movie).

although, he WOULD remove it at first, before learning of it's shape-shifting and clothes-mimicking abilities. the first scene of the symbiote infecting the spidey suit is nearly a shot-for-panel interpretation of the first time they show the symbiote take over his body while he's asleep in the comics. it's only later that peter finds out about the mimicking ability, but he doesn't use it as much as eddie brock does - brock is basically wearing the symbiote at all times and the clothes that he's wearing are simply being mimicked.

It be like if one of us gave a blood or tissue sample to the doctor. The symbiote is a living sentient entity. It can heal its wounds like any other living creature.

while i'm not sure that a little piece like that could survive to become another venom symbiote in the comics, it IS a good excuse to say how venom could come back in future installments of the franchise - there's still a little bit of the symbiote in connor's lab. the initial size of the symbiote wasn't much more than what's left, but toward the end you saw how big it got (by both trans-substantiating the red and blue suit and feeding off of peter's and eddie's anger and aggression.)

if you go by the comics, i'd say that little piece was more apt to become another symbiote, a la carnage. in the comics the symbiotes are able to produce six offspring each. those little seedlings can grow up to be other symbiotes. as a side note, david michelinie, who created venom, wrote a mini-series that created the other five symbiotes and tried to kill them off as quickly as possible, because he didn't want a billion symbiotes running around the marvel universe. venom was that popular.

JediTricks
05-18-2007, 11:07 PM
It also appears that the suit doesn't need to be whole since Peter takes a sample of it to Dr. Conners.Yeah, that alone should be enough to explain why the mask can separate from the main suit, plus there's also the boots, we see in the movie that Spidey's boots are separate pieces and the black costume in the trunk likely isn't integrating them.

In the comics and the 90's cartoon the symbiote became the black suit itself (from the clips I've seen of the movie it appears the black suit is just the symbiote covering his traditional red/blue suit). Whenever Parker wanted to to become Spiderman or vice versa the symbiote could read his mind and shape shift into the proper outfit (he didn't have to physically remove it like in the movie).In the movie, the symbiote takes over one of Peter's costumes while he's wearing it, but Peter then takes it off and puts it on when he wants to use or not use its powers, so he has the choice to wear the red & blue suit or the black suit... until he decides the black suit has to go.

In the comics and cartoon, the black suit changed shapes to look like Peter's regular clothes or costume like you said, but it also could create webfluid on its own at will and had the ability to create interdimensional pockets (literally) so Peter could put his wallet or camera in the black suit and it wouldn't affect the lines of the suit. That I felt was WAY too weird, but it was from Secret Wars so everything was a little weird.

After Parker learned how the symbiote was altering his brain physically and mentally through its symbiotic relationship Parker tried to expel the symbiote from his body by mentally and physically resisting it (which is why the symbiote refused to come off). Parker was only able to rid himself of the symbiote during the bell tower scene because the deafening sound was one of two known things (the other being fire) capable of hurting and weakening the symbiote.Originally, Peter went to Mr Fantastic who used hypersonics and fire to separate it from Peter, and when it escaped and rebonded with him, and as I understand it, the church bells didn't actually weaken the symbiote, it weakened Peter and that ripped them apart.

something like that... it's more that it infects the suit, but then changes the properties of the fabric to become an extension of itself.Yeah, it's like soaking the suit in water, but once worn it affects Peter directly.

Lord Malakite
05-19-2007, 12:51 AM
In the comics and cartoon, the black suit changed shapes to look like Peter's regular clothes or costume like you said, but it also could create webfluid on its own at will and had the ability to create interdimensional pockets (literally) so Peter could put his wallet or camera in the black suit and it wouldn't affect the lines of the suit. That I felt was WAY too weird, but it was from Secret Wars so everything was a little weird.
Considering the movie adaption of Spider-Man also has the ability to create webbing on his own that point didn't seem important enough to mention while trying to explain the differences between comic and movie Venom as both versions had that ability. :D The interdimensonal thing is somthing new to me though as I've never directly read Secret Wars, only summaries.

Originally, Peter went to Mr Fantastic who used hypersonics and fire to separate it from Peter, and when it escaped and rebonded with him, and as I understand it, the church bells didn't actually weaken the symbiote, it weakened Peter and that ripped them apart.
Thats true enough in the comics, but I doubt Mr. Fantastic and the Human Torch were in the movie though.;) As for the bells, I'm pretty certain it was the sound that hurt the symbiote and not Peter. If Peter was weakened by anything during the bells ringing, I would have to say it would have been from the physical/mental struggle with the symbiote itself while trying to simultaneously keep both himself and it near the loud noise while pulling it off at the same time.

JediTricks
05-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Secret Wars itself happened out of our dimension and time, IIRC.

I read that Peter took on the weakness of the sonics from being bonded with the symbiote, and that the symbiote once separated from Peter actually carried Peter out of the church to get away from the bells before growing angry at him for rejecting the symbiote.

2-1B
05-22-2007, 10:25 PM
symbiotes...midichlorians...did I just get back from seeing Spider-Man 3 or Star Wars 1 ? George Lucas was right about this movie being silly. lol

It was better than the first one but not as good as the second one (Alfred Molina was great!).

James Franco really shined in this movie, kudos to him for a great performance.

I thought BDH was a surprising treat. I would take Gwen Stacy ANY DAY over Mary Jane Fangs Watson. Still, I think Pete should drop both of those high maintenance women and go for Ursula next door.

A good movie overall, definitely entertaining...just not as "Dark" as they were making it out to be. Venom was kind of goofy when he turned back into Gopher Trace but I did on the other hand, enjoy his screaming.

I'd say this one felt rushed with too many doings but it was not as forced as X3.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Enough. If you want to continue this conversation, take to private messages as it's getting off topic and inappropriate. Many thanks! :thumbsup:

BountyHunterScum
06-01-2007, 03:16 AM
I think including the flag in Spider-Man 3 was a good idea. Funny how that scene is all the proof thats needed to see who's on your side and who isn't. Still a good movie regardless. Venom will be back probably.

kool-aid killer
06-01-2007, 07:34 PM
How do you think i avoided Gitmo? I put out a big ol "Yee Haw!" when i seen that part. Speaking of the movie, i didnt care for the whole Venom angle. I think it would have been better if they avoided that altogether and spent more time focusing on the Sandman. Plus, hows Spiderman just going to let the dude get away at the end of the film?

General_Grievous
06-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Just found this online. It's pretty funny.

http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=1999

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-03-2007, 10:14 PM

That was HYSTERICAL. Well done! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Oh man, that was so funny I almost wet myself! "I forgive you! I forgive YOU! I forgive myself, urk!" SuperDeluxe totally nailed it with that one, is there anything else that needs to be said?

Tycho
06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
That was great! I laughed. Then I ate cantelope.

BountyHunterScum
06-04-2007, 06:06 PM
How do you think i avoided Gitmo? I put out a big ol "Yee Haw!" when i seen that part. Speaking of the movie, i didnt care for the whole Venom angle. I think it would have been better if they avoided that altogether and spent more time focusing on the Sandman. Plus, hows Spiderman just going to let the dude get away at the end of the film?

Why would you go to gitmo?

darko666
06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Flaws:
Venom - thrown in last minute for the fans. waste of a villain and should have saved him for spiderman 4.
Symbiote involvement/storyline - or lack of, what was it doing in his apartment for the first hour of the film, landed right next to him in the park with no explanation at all, used it for a grand total of a 5 minutes and then has a hard time removing it at the church when he easily just removes whenever he feels like it. last time i checked, it was a symbiote and not just a goo covering his old suit.
Green Goblin 2 suit - is it that hard to make a goblin suit look like a goblin, and not a power ranger or extreme snowboarder? with Raimi behind the project, he could have def made a evil looking suit.
Venom and Sandman teaming up - Sandman agreed to help Venom almost as fast as Anakin turned to the dark side in ROTS. just a bad scene.
Gwen Stacy - Peters first love introduced to late in the series. should have been in spiderman 1 and killed off by the Goblin.
"Evil" Pete - evil, not at all. pushing your hair down towards your eyes doesn't makes you bad. although, him hitting MJ was deserving, and speaking of MJ
Mary Jane - i love redheads, but she just couldn't accept the fact that the public wants spiderman more than her dry acting and bad singing. you would think by the third time she is captured by a villain(which is overkill), she would finally die or be injured.
Unmasked - he sure loves to remove his mask durning fights. i can't tell if i'm watching a spiderman movie or a Peter Parker movie. i thought they were the same person, i guess not. or maybe the audience forgot who was behind the mask, so he removed it to let them know it was still him.
Crying - a bit much

Successes:
The birth of Sandman - a beautiful scene, both visually and musically.

it's time for a new cast and director for this series.

General_Grievous
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Flaws:
Unmasked - he sure loves to remove his mask durning fights. i can't tell if i'm watching a spiderman movie or a Peter Parker movie. i thought they were the same person, i guess not. or maybe the audience forgot who was behind the mask, so he removed it to let them know it was still him.

That's a bit of an unfair statement. First Venom removed his mask and then the mask was torn to shreds due to Sandman's pummeling. It wasn't Peter's fault.

darko666
06-05-2007, 02:00 AM
every villain destroyed his mask, which became very redundant with each film. but it's still ridiculous how much time Parker spent actually wearing the mask throughout the movie. in every fight it either got ruined or removed. i don't know about the rest of you, but it took me out of the fight to constantly see tobys face, except for the final fight in spiderman 1. same goes for Venom, i think we got the idea of who he is, but nope, had to keep showing his face. not to mention the Venom was poorly done. but the designers did a good enough job with the little amount of time they had, so i can't fault them.

time to bring on The Lizard and Kraven.

JEDIpartner
06-10-2007, 12:59 PM
You know the part where Spider-Man swings into the celebration where he is awarded the medal? Has anyone mentioned the hammy extra on the stage who puts her hands on her head and tilts it side to side several times with a surprised look on her face. Oh, man... that's all I'm ever going to see when I watch that film again. Terrible!!!!

General_Grievous
06-10-2007, 01:19 PM
You know the part where Spider-Man swings into the celebration where he is awarded the medal? Has anyone mentioned the hammy extra on the stage who puts her hands on her head and tilts it side to side several times with a surprised look on her face. Oh, man... that's all I'm ever going to see when I watch that film again. Terrible!!!!

You know, every one of my friends who have seen it have mentioned that, but I've never noticed her. I guess that's a good thing.

JEDIpartner
06-10-2007, 01:32 PM
It's just horrible!!! It's sorta like when Luke selects Artoo after Arfive blows his motivator and you see Arfive standing next to Artoo! It drives me nuts!!!