PDA

View Full Version : So What's the deal?

The 'Xir
03-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Walmart has me so confused I don't know what's what anymore! I thought that only Anakins Lego JediStarfighter was available as a preview! If you read my posts over in "Walmart stops the sales of ROTS figs and toys" thread you know that I got "The Heisman" on buying the Lego Grevious/Ben chase set! I also last night just saw most of the sets, including The Arc, Mustafar, Tri-doid, and many others at one of my local Kmarts last night, and I did scan it(price came up) but didn't try to take it to the register and buy it 'cause they had a bunch of them, and I wanted to check with you guys first!
'Cause you guys bought and have them already! Did you get lucky? Are they really available? Was Walmart wrong then in denying my that sale? Can I go and buy all those that I saw at KMart? HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPP!!! :crazed:

I'm really not into Legos(at all really), but for some reason I've been interested in buying them this go around, and I know I atleast want that Mustafar set! Any Hep here wood bee Hot! ThanX!

Mandalorian Candidat
03-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Ahhh, yet another potential convert to the Lego forums.

Only the JSF/VD (Hah, I said VD) set is a preview set. All they others you found were just put out early.

I'm actually surprised you found the JSF set at WM. I've seen them everywhere but at WM so I suspect there are some street-date savvy managers out there who are going to be sticklers about putting stuff out early.

Don't fret none about getting all these early. I guarantee they will be sitting around for months to come collecting dust. Unlike the figures Lego sets are in plentiful supply for all to partake. If you're interested, TRU is doing a promo where if you buy $15 or more of Lego sets they'll throw in a MINI TIE Interceptor. Later on an ARC ship will be available and at Albertson's they'll have an Ani JSF if you buy some coke and chips.

JediTricks
03-23-2005, 04:13 AM
The Lego items are not on the department managers' minds as much as the Hasbro figures which are the biggest Star Wars line. WM also neglected to put stops on the Hasbro Titaniums wave 2 line which is hitting stores, which I can only appreciate. They're not supposed to sell 'em till April 2nd, the cases even say so I beleive, but things happen. ;)

bobafrett
03-23-2005, 07:13 AM
I have yet to see any of the new Lego sets, outside the preview set, but I'm not too worried, as the Lego rep told me last week, we are supposed to get 12 pallets of Lego toys for the Wal-Mart tent event.

Love your Star Wars lego's!

Kidhuman
03-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Only the JSF/VD (Hah, I said VD) set is a preview set. All they others you found were just put out early.

The TIE was a preview set as well.

I bought twosets fromK-Mart and they rang up. Mustafarrang up and so did the Droid Tri-Fighter. I returned the Mustafar set because I told my wife Iwould only spend a certain amount of money on toys that day.

DGFD
03-23-2005, 11:01 AM
It really depends on the store. WalMart has all of their computers locked for all episode III merchandise, meaning that when you try to buy something it will cay "can't sell" or something like that. However, the only think locked out of K-Mart's computers are the basic figures, so yes you could have bought the LEGO sets at K-mart! I ended up buying most of my sets at Meijers, which have now pulled all sets off shelves.

bobafrett
03-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, I just went to Wal-Mart to pick up some batteries, and some bleach when I stop in the toy department and find Darth Vader transformation and Droid tri-fighter. I put them in my cart, get to the register, the come up "do not sale". The cashier runs it through a second time, same message. I tell her that it probably isn't supposed to be released until April 2nd. She dissappears and comes back and says $16.88 (for the Tri-Fighter), and I shrug my shoulders, again she scans it, gets the same message. So she does what we do if the item can't be found by scanning the UPC, she manually enters, Dept # "07", types in "Star Wars", then types in the price, and does the same for the second set. I was able to get them, despite being honest and telling the sales associate that they weren't due for release until April 2nd. I'm not trying to bash anyone, just wanted to share my experience with the collecting crowd! Just makes 2 less items I will have to get on 04/02/2005.

Ji'dai
03-25-2005, 03:34 PM
My TRU has all of the new ROTS mini-fig scale sets on the shelves. They also happen to be running a "Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off" sale on LEGO this week (ends Mar. 26). My family was able to buy several sets with no problem including the Clone Turbo Tank,* Wookie Catamaran, Grievous Chase, and JSF/VD. So now is a good time to buy if your local TRUs have them in stock.

*A sharp-eyed kid I met in the TRU LEGO aisle was telling me that Mace Windu's lightsaber in this set actually lights-up blue, even though the fig's blade is indeed made of translucent purple plastic. Sure enough, he's right.

aceguide
03-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I got shut out at my local WM - they had stacks of legos on the shelves and even more on the top shelf.

Was also at my TRU where the sale was running but no ROTS...

4/2 for me... :cry:

The 'Xir
03-28-2005, 11:30 PM
ThanX guys! I'll prob go back and pick up that Mustafar set if it's still there! And as far as being a lego convert?.. ummm well, I'm just a collector and as I said before, for some reason I just have interest this go around to buy lego stuff as well! So, like most everything else, it will probably just be bought and stashed away with everything else for some rainy day! I rarely open anything anymore, unless I really like the peice, and usually it has something to do with Mr. Fett, although I did open Padme Unleashed, posed her, and now like a Gallions' figurehead she proudly points the way on the dashboard of my car! :classic: :classic:

Mandalorian Candidat
03-29-2005, 11:24 AM
And as far as being a lego convert?.. ummm well, I'm just a collector and as I said before, for some reason I just have interest this go around to buy lego stuff as well!

That's how it started for me and many of my SW Lego collector buddies...just wait and see Xir. :evil:

Kidhuman
03-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I can attest to that. I got hooked because my parents bought my stepson Jango's Slave1 on clearance for his Bday. Of course I had toput it together. The next day I got me one,then another, then another, and another and here I am posting in the Lego Section. :beard:

Ji'dai
03-29-2005, 01:16 PM
I've always been a LEGO fan but it was the Adventurers "Indiana Jones" archaeology sets that got me back into collecting in 1998. Then I progressed to Pirates, Town, Model Team.... So I was already in deep when the Star Wars sets first appeared a year later.

Resistance is futile.

bobafrett
03-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Me too Ji'dai. I bought the "Space" Legos back in the early 80's to try and build some Star Wars ships. I remember wondering if Lego would ever get to make Star Wars lego's. Low and behold, some years later, here I am with hundreds of dollars worth of Star Wars lego's, and I couldn't be happier.

aceguide
03-30-2005, 08:51 AM
$100's!?!?! You must be the master of clearance finds. I'm on for $1,000's!!!

bobafrett
03-30-2005, 09:12 AM

Well, I can't afford "everything", and I did wait until the UCS X-Wing and TIE Interceptor went on clearance as well as the Tantive IV. Never was able to afford the $300 Star Destroyer. But the Lego sets I do have, I do enjoy so much. Now where to store the Episode III stuff? :sur:

Kidhuman
03-30-2005, 09:48 AM

I have on;ly spent about 400 dollars on Legos. I did buy 90% on CLearance sales.

The 'Xir
03-30-2005, 10:40 AM
That's how it started for me and many of my SW Lego collector buddies...just wait and see Xir. :evil:

lol, We'll see! However the two things you guys mentioned that drew you in are what we'll probably keep me out of it! Putting them together: as I mentioned I'll buy some and just store 'em away! and 2) Price!: I always looked at the prices of these things(even back during TPM & AotC) and could never justify spending that much on plastic! Although I guess the same could be said for the figures! :crazed:
Now the Mustafar set just seemed reasonable to me for $29.99, but maybe that's why they put it in a big box, for the very reason that it seems your getting more, 'cause I didn't actually check the piece count on it!

As I said though...We'll see! ;)

Kidhuman
03-30-2005, 11:03 AM
It has about 300 pieces, which is about right, 10 bucks for every 100 pieces. ANd when you see them all on clearance,you will buy em.....

Mandalorian Candidat
03-30-2005, 06:54 PM
ANd when you see them all on clearance,you will buy em.....

Exactly! Just like the mafia did with Michael Corleone, Lego will be pulling you back in once the 2005 clearance madness starts. :crazed:

aceguide
03-31-2005, 08:11 AM
My luck with clearance is never that great. I did score a couple of deals at WM recently - but that's about it.

My real problem is the 8 year old lego maniac. He loves the stuff - can't get enough. SW is not the only obsession - Harry Potter gets quite a few sets too.

LusiferSam
03-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Oh man, I hate to think about how many hundreds or thousands of dollars I've spend of legos over the years. And parents, who were the primary buyers of Lego set for me for many years, don't want to hear many sets I think I have. But the hours of enjoyment I've gotten from them have made up the slimmer wallet in the long run.

aceguide
04-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Agreed - the replay value of legos really makes them worth the extra money.