PDA

View Full Version : The Hip-Hop, Rap, and R&B thread

kool-aid killer
03-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Okay, like the title states this thread is dedicated to hip-hop, rap, and r&b music. Discuss any and all artist who fall into one of these categories. It could be popular stuff or underground. What do you like about an artist, what dont you like about an artist? Is the music wack, or is it continually improving? And if you dislike any of these particular genres of music, please refrain from throwing in any cliche sayings (such as "rap is crap") unless you want to discuss the reasons why (maybe you object to the content) you feel that way. I will start off:

Anybody else getting a little tired of 50 cent beefing with other people? When he first hit the mainstream i didnt mind so much, because the object of his dislike was Ja Rule, someone i dont care for, but now it just seems like thats 50s lone way of selling records. How long will he pull the wool over people eyes?

scruffziller
03-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Anybody else getting a little tired of 50 cent beefing with other people? When he first hit the mainstream i didnt mind so much, because the object of his dislike was Ja Rule, someone i dont care for, but now it just seems like thats 50s lone way of selling records. How long will he pull the wool over people eyes?

I always hated when rappers would beef with each other on records. Especially when they were 2 of my favorites. But I came to realize that the beefing were major facets of what got hip hop started.

gsr-jedi
03-22-2005, 06:21 PM
I agree, battling has always been an integral part of hip-hop, so I've got no problems with it. My problem with 50's battles are they are strictly for publicity, especially that crap with Game. Why is he going after Nas all of a sudden? Didn't he hear how Nas ripped Jay on Ether, he can't come close to Nas. I was actually surprised, because the Fat Joe response track is actually pretty good; the Jada response is poor quality, and has some radio station call signs on it, so it's hard to hear it good. If anybody hasn't heard them, I'll post them up if you want.

Recently, I've been listening to The Last Emperor's album a lot. Have you guys heard it? For me, there are only 2 songs I skip, but everything else is good.

JetsAndHeels
03-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I recently bought the cd "Documentary" by The Game. 50 is on that cd alot, with some Eminem also. Its a pretty good album, if you like the whole "G Unit" thing. If you like 50 its probably something that would suit your taste.

About the beef thing between rappers, I don't see it ever ending. It is almost a gimmick now, to boost interest and sales between the parties involved. I think its a real shame about how we have lost some rappers due to these conflicts, but given the situations they are in and the lifestyles they live, it comes with the territory unfortunately.

kool-aid killer
03-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Im suprised i got some responses, i was almost certain no one would post in a thread like this.

Scruff, battling is an integral part of rapping, but it gets blown out of proportion when its two big name artists doing it. The rappers, due to the nature of their rhymes, are obligated to maintain the tough guy attitude or lose credibility and subsequently their following.

GRS-Jedi, i havent heard Fat Joe or Jadas response to 50s "Piggybank" song, so im interested. On another website somebody posted Nas' respones to the song, if anything Nas excells when he gets in a wax battle.

Fett96, i havent picked up any G-unit cds, and if i did Games probably wouldnt be the first. But i do like the beat of his current song on the radio. He seems like he could be a solid rapper, he just needs to avoid beefing so much. Its going to be interesting to see how he gets along with 50 after what all happened a couple of weeks ago.

Kidhuman
03-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Modern Hip-Hop is all the same to me. The only one I can actually stand is Eminem and Ludacris. All the rest just sounds the saem. Guns, girls, shooting etc...

I say "GIMME OLD SKOOL ANYDAY" SLick Rick, Doug E. Fresh, LL, Run DMC, Curtis BLow, Big Daddy Kane. Thats when it was good music.

El Chuxter
03-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I've not been much into hip-hop for several years, either. The last rap CD I bought was Speakerboxx/The Love Below, which isn't really representative of most of the stuff I hear. I have heard one song recently (I think it's by Nas) that samples Muddy Waters' "Hoochie Coochie Man" and therefore is cool.

CaptainSolo1138
03-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Anything Ice Cube involves himself in is as good as gold to me. He's one of a handful of rap artists I can honestly say I like. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't like/appreciate rap music, it's just that I happen to like more songs than artists. For example, there are several songs by Busta Rhymes that I like, but I don't consider myself a Busta fan. Occasionally I wade into the waters of the Wu-Tang, but I actually prefer there solo albums as to what they do as a group. On that note, what is the status of the Wu since ODB's (who's "Return to the 36 Chambers" pretty much never leaves my CD player) passing?

kool-aid killer
03-24-2005, 09:04 AM
I remember seeing Method Man on 106 and Park a while ago and he was asked about another Wu album. He responded by saying that at the moment nothing was on the table, not because the artists couldnt get together but mainly due to the previous couple of albums not moving many units. It seems like a lot of fans want to see it happen again, but when it does it doesnt sell well enough.

CaptainSolo1138
03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Which means I fit the mold as a Wu-Tang "fan". I liked everything up to "Iron Flag". It just didn't feel right to me.

kool-aid killer
03-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Modern Hip-Hop is all the same to me. The only one I can actually stand is Eminem and Ludacris.

Have you seen Ludas newest video, "Number 1 Spot?" I think its hilarious, it has the Austin Powers beat and Mini Me stars in it, looking like Luda with an Afro and thin mustache. Luda is probably my favorite rapper out right now, his songs and music videos are funny, and he doesnt seem to be always projecting a hardcore image. Plus he has been consistent in all his albums, he doesnt seem to drop off in some ways like other artists do.

Slicker
03-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Luda is by far my favorite rapper right now. I love Number One Spot. His rhymes are actually quite cleverly written and they flow from one to another. And how can you not like someone with a fro like that.

kool-aid killer
07-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Anybody hear The Games diss track toward 50 cent, G-unit, Memphis Bleek, and the Young Gunz? The song is about 15 minutes long, i believe its called 300 bars or something like that. Its an okay track to listen to, but its goes on a little too much (obviously if you have to give away a quarter of an hour of your life just to listen to one song) for me. The songs been out for at least two weeks and i have yet to hear G-unit release a follow up to that but i think one is forthcoming. I just wonder if they will try to match the length of that track.

I know i will probably be stoned for saying this, but i think Kanye West sucks.

Slicker
07-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I have a question: What the hell does T.I. stand for? You know, the artist that did 24's and Rubberband Man.

kool-aid killer
07-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Honestly, i dont know, but now that you ask im going to go find out and post back. T.I. is on the list of rappers that i dont like, a list about five times longer than those i do like. Im glad Luda tore him a new one.

Slicker
07-10-2005, 05:04 PM
It took some searching but I found the answer to my own question. I found this on some other site.

T.I. (real name Clifford Harris) is just a change to his real nickname T.I.P. He had to change it to T.I. since Q-Tip had a similar name as his. It avoided confusion for Arista Records. T.I. means nothing. He actually has a song called T.I. VS T.I.P. He calls himself T.I.P. in a lot of his songs. Funny thing, now that T.I. changed his name... Q-Tip changed his to Kamaal!

kool-aid killer
07-10-2005, 05:54 PM
In the words of Luda, "stay of the T.I.P. of my :eek: "

I kept running into stories of his rivalry with another rapper (and which rapper doesnt seem to have a nemesis?) and his most recent jail stint. Oh well, now we know.