PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Everyone reads about ancient Tales of the Jedi & Ulic Qel Droma

Tycho
03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
I've read and re-read these stories:

Tales of the Jedi - The Beast Wars of Onderron and the Legacy of Nomi Sunrider

The Freedon Nadd Uprising

Dark Lords of the Sith

The Sith War

Redemption

and now, after I finally know how the movie saga ends (through spoilers as well as episodes 4,5,6), I stand by my opinion that the legends of Ulic Qel Droma, the Dark Lord of the Sith Exar Kun, and the Jedi Knight Nomi Sunrider is probably the best Star Wars tale ever told.

I did not post this in the comics and books forum because : people venturing into that forum already know about this series, if they haven't already read it and agree with me.

But Anakin Skywalker is not at all as interesting or as developed of character as Ulic Qel Droma who also has tragic love affairs (2 of them) and kills his own brother as he falls to the Dark Side and becomes the 2nd most powerful Sith Lord who conquers the Mandalorians and uses war droids and all that great stuff that we love about the Star Wars movie saga.

But I'm telling you, if you haven't read up on the epic saga of Ulic Qel Droma, your Star Wars experience could not be half that of mine!

Hellboy
03-22-2005, 05:08 PM
I completely agree, these are indeed great stories. Ulic's fall to the dark side and eventual redemption are my favorite EU stories out there. After killing Cay (his brother) I thought I'd never like him again but when all is said and done you really feel for the guy, much more tragic than Anakin's story. Plus Exar Kun was probably the coolest Sith Lord ever IMO, afterall he was the first to wield the now famous double-bladed lightsaber. :cool:

Thanks for reminding me of these books, I think I'll revisit them as well sometime soon seeing as how its been about a decade since I last read them. If you haven't read these books and you enjoy comics you owe it to yourself as a SW fan to indulge yourself with these. Great recommendation Tycho. :)

Ji'dai
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Yes, Tales of the Jedi are must read expanded universe material. They tie into Dark Empire I & II, which take place after Return of the Jedi.

Also worth a look are The Golden Age of the Sith and The Fall of the Sith Empire. Both titles predate Tales of the Jedi (now titled Knights of the Old Republic) and concern the unification of several worlds by Empress Teta and the Jedi who assist her. It also tells of the Sith's return to Republic-held space and consequent enslavement of the Massassi and erection of the temples on Yavin IV.