PDA

View Full Version : MM Walmart Exclusive- details and info

evenflow
03-23-2005, 02:45 PM
"We've gotten word that Wal-mart will have some kind of "Early Bird" figure set, reminiscent of the Vintage promotion with certificates and dioramas. Not much more is known on this yet --so consider this a rumor for now-- but expect an official announcement very soon. "

Saw that over at Rebelscum. Anyone else hear anything about this?

dindae
03-23-2005, 03:11 PM
I was hoping to skip at least one of the big three. I hope K-mart doesn't get anything. I'll hold off til I hear more.

Jaina Solo
03-23-2005, 06:25 PM
It really wouldn't surprise me if they did- they've got to do something to get us in the door. But I almost hope it's not something cool that I would want, because I don't want to stand in another line.

Darth Grifter
03-23-2005, 06:34 PM
yeah, but what order do you go...i think that definitely TRU and then home for quick sleep and target at about 6am for the 8 opening...it would be really bad if i had to hit up the three superwalmarts in my area for a MM exclusive...the WMs around me kept the trilogy exclusive packs for a week at least, so maybe i could wait a day or two...or at least until the night...:)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Grr, this better not be something really cool! I know I'm definitely going to Target and TRU, so I suppose I might as well hit up WM for whatever this is. Hopefully it's something I don't need to stress over . . .

jedi master sal
03-24-2005, 08:55 AM
I agree. I had planned on going to TRU first then WM, then a few hours later, wait in line at Target.

I may have to rethink going to TRU first though and switch it with WM.

It's getting ever-so-close. I hope we find out soon what the supposed exclusive is.

dindae
03-24-2005, 09:07 AM
well the price is $29.97 according to rebelscum. Not much info but its a start. Maybe we can get Bobafrett to sneak a peek. ;)

Kidhuman
03-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Hmmmmm....havent heard about this. But if its true, expect it for the tent sale.

Slicker
03-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Well this just seals the deal. I'm definitely gonna have to to to WM immediately after Target. Hopefully it's something we don't have already.

evenflow
03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
I feel the pain as well. I need to figure ut what order to go the stores. If TRU is really only giving yoda out to the first 36 (i also heard 50) then i have to go there, but then again i have not heard any numbers for target. I figure since this thing at Walmart costs 30.00 I may get away with going there last. I am so torn!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Dammit, I'm not made of money! $30 for Yoda, $12 for Vader, and now $30 more for whatever this is. I'm only going to have about $50 on April 2 . . . I hope this is something dumb, but it's probably really cool . . .

Whatever happened to Wal-Mart's everyday low prices? :D

potf2x
03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Dammit, I'm not made of money! $30 for Yoda, $12 for Vader, and now $30 more for whatever this is. I'm only going to have about $50 on April 2 . . . I hope this is something dumb, but it's probably really cool . . .

Whatever happened to Wal-Mart's everyday low prices? :D

$30 for Yoda and $12 for Vader? :eek: Is that right?.... I thought all the exclusives were going to be regular price($5.99). Can anyone confirm this?

Slicker
03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I can't confirm it but I can back up what JJL said. The Yoda is available after a $30 purchase and the Vader is available at Target after getting a ticket and going to the toy department to buy it at the $12 or $13 price.

ndjedi
03-24-2005, 12:49 PM
TRU Exclusive Holo Yoda will be FREE with a $35 or more purchase starting on April 2. Target's Exclusive Lava Vader will be $12.99, and you must be one of the first 48 in line at each store opening at 8 am April 2 to get a ticket to purchase the Lava Vader, so get there early! I'll be at both come April 2! Just one more week!

DGFD
03-24-2005, 12:51 PM
I would not worry about the TRU Yoda too much!

Check this link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007PGJB2/galactichunte-20/104-0859941-3237565

When it becomes available it will cost $9.99 and be limited to 10 per customer, plus there is no messing around with midnight madness. There has been no quantity to how many each store will get, but like all other TRU exclusives, I am sure there will be plenty.

dindae
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Well this was just posted from mm74md saying the purchase price for the Yoda would be $25.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=27202

However the Times Square store is going to be $35 so it may vary.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=31065

DarthMcChuck posted that the Vader would be $5.88. Since he works at the toy department in Target I trust his info. Plus I haven't seen anything more official yet.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=27031&page=2&pp=10

I'm sure we will see newspaper ads popping up soon with all the details.

Hellboy
03-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Maybe this mysterious Wal-Mart exclusive will turn out to be the Clone Trooper that was rumored to appear at Target in May. It would make sense if you ask me, especially when you consider Target rarely gets any exclusive figures let alone 2 within the span of a month.

Sith Lord 0498
03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
But at a $30 pricepoint??? It'd have to be more than just a single Clonetrooper. Perhaps it's a set of different Clonetroopers.

Wait...I just thought of something...

This is being listed as an "early bird" special. What if Hasbro exclusively sent the next five or six figures beyond #40 (Mas Amedda) to Wal-Mart??? They'd have a one month lead on everyone else, and quantites could be limited per store so only the earliest SW shoppers get a lead on the rest of the pack!!

Thoughts???

sith_killer_99
03-24-2005, 09:03 PM
I think it will be some kind of box set like the 1977 "early bird" sets! :eek:

I can hope....at least for $30.00 I can hope! :Pirate: ;)

LTBasker
03-24-2005, 09:14 PM
From the title "Early Bird" you would expect this to come out as a sneak preview or something.

gsr-jedi
03-24-2005, 11:01 PM
For me this isn't too big of a problem, none of the TRUs in AZ will be doing midnight madness, but I wasn't going there anyways as WM is cheaper. Plus I have a WM & a Target within a 1/2 mile of my house and 1/2 mile of each other. I was planning on going to WM at midnight, Target at about 7 am, get breakfast and head over to TRU. Then play Counter-Strike Source.

jedi master sal
03-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Hmmm, early bird...could it be the Yoda on Can-cel? Okay so it's not a bird but a bug, but who knows.

My other guess is that it's the ARC-170 starfighter. This could either be everywhere 4/2, or they could wait for a couple months until the movie is out. Thereby giving WM the jump on this ship. The pricepoint is dead on. (And planes have been called "birds" afterall)

Just a thought...

Kidhuman
03-25-2005, 09:59 AM
OK, on Hasbro's website, Titanium Wave 2, Wal-Mart Exclusive...due out 4/2....??????? Maybe?

Sith Lord 0498
03-25-2005, 10:37 AM
According to Rebelscum this morning, it's a certificate that you mail in by 5/30 to receive four exclusive figures. However, something about that doesn't feel right. First of all, the $30 pricepoint would put each figure at roughly $7.50 a piece. Maybe they figured shipping into the price, but I don't ever remember seeing a mail-away promotion that does that. Second, I doubt they'd need to put the certificates in a box as a large as the pic on RS insinuates.

Bossk77
03-25-2005, 07:12 PM
From my buddies inside source. You pay $35 and get a carboard box with a coupon to mail in for the early bird set. I believe he said June or July you get it. You get 4 different-colored/ marked clone troopers and a battle platform of some sort. My buddy is trying to get me pic's but he has had a hard time sneaking around to do it. My buddy has never been wrong before with this kinda thing, and i trust him, but with out pics i can not slap a 100% garrentee on it.

Kidhuman
03-25-2005, 07:22 PM
That sucks. I aint getitng it. It sounds too much like the EE Exclusive...puh to that.

Beast
03-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Agreed, sounds like the EE Exclusive. Which means I'd rather get this one, than pay for the one from EE. Especially if it's basically the same thing. Though it's probably the E3 style of CloneTrooper. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Slicker
03-25-2005, 07:39 PM
I love the concept of it though. It is a direct connection to the OT figures from back in the day. Hopefully the artwork/photography looks as good as the original early bird special.

Hellboy
03-25-2005, 07:44 PM
I'll definitely be getting this as I'm a nut for army builders and Clone Troopers in general. Hopefully they are indeed the E3 style Clones because after the EE exclusive I think I will have reached my limit on how many original Clone Troopers I need in my collection.

Kidhuman
03-25-2005, 08:11 PM
4 clones are not worth 35 dollars. I will wait for the Target exclusive.

Beast
03-25-2005, 08:46 PM
4 clones are not worth 35 dollars. I will wait for the Target exclusive.
I don't know... $8.50 a piece isn't that bad a price. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
03-25-2005, 08:48 PM
RS is reporting that the set will retail for under $30, so I guess we're just going to have to wait and see.

Beast
03-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Under $30 is much better. That's only around $7.50 each. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Bossk77
03-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Under $30 is much better. That's only around $7.50 each. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Dont forget about the "battle platform" or ship thing you get too, according to my source. I will post pics if my buddy can get them over the weekend.

evenflow
03-25-2005, 09:52 PM
If thats true, it kind of sucks.

wedge1968
03-25-2005, 10:06 PM
The real question is how many they will have. How likely will it be that there will be enough to go around?

Bossk77
03-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Supply shouldnt be that much of an issue, compared to the other exclusives. I will post more to that angle on Monday when i see my buddy again.

Scackmgack
03-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Could it be that this is the swamp speeder from the battle of Kashyyk? Might explain the "clone troopers with colors," if you look at the lego version...

Fluke Skywalker
03-26-2005, 01:55 AM
Just when I think my budget is set they keep pouring it on!!! I'm going wait and see on this one. I'm not getting the Vader/Yoda exclusives, but this one sounds interesting.

JEDIpartner
03-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at it on Saturday the 2nd.

Jayspawn
03-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Agreed, no 4 Clones are worth $35. BUT, we'll just see for ourselves wont we? I'm all about the Clones/Stormtrooopers.

Slicker
03-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I just read on RS that someone saw a pallet full of Vader carrying cases that came with an Anakin and a Clone Trooper. Whether this is the Early Bird case or not is still up in the air though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-26-2005, 04:31 PM
I just read on RS that someone saw a pallet full of Vader carrying cases that came with an Anakin and a Clone Trooper. Whether this is the Early Bird case or not is still up in the air though.
I read that too. You'd think that we'd get a definite answer sometime soon . . . :stupid:

The clone pack doesn't sound too bad, though.

Bossk77
03-26-2005, 05:15 PM
I read that too. You'd think that we'd get a definite answer sometime soon . . . :stupid:

The clone pack doesn't sound too bad, though.
Nah, they mentioned that a long time ago when they started carrying the Cases again... figures included would vary and change. They are still Walmart Exclusives but not the Release promo.

Meant to quote Tater.

evenflow
03-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Well if that is the exlcusive in question, then no need to go to Walmart. I wish we could get some official word.

Fluke Skywalker
03-27-2005, 01:16 AM
We may find out in a few hours if it's in the Walmart sales ad (assuming there is one, sometimes it's in Sunday's paper, other times Monday but usually none at all) I would think they'd want to get the word out on this one. Everything regarding ROTS release dates has been so hush hush it's making me :mad: .

If this is a SP Clone trooper four pack with some sort of display base or something, I'm in. If it's a lousy Vader case with a rehashed Anakin figure, count me out. (No way they'd charge $29.99 for that though, right?)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-28-2005, 06:35 PM
I thought this had been revealed elsewhere on this site, but here it is again, with a picture:
http://hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.retailer_promos/sub.wm/dn/default.cfm

And you really can send off for four reproduction figures of the vintage versions!!! This is awesome!!!

Turbowars
03-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Are you sure it's repos of the 4 Vintage figures? I thought they might be more rehashs from the Hall of Fame waves. I can't see paying 30 bucks for a POTF2 versions.

Hellboy
03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
It doesn't say anything about repros in the add only that they will be the same four characters offered back when the Early Bird pack originally came out. :neutral:

Turbowars
03-28-2005, 06:50 PM
That's how I read it also. So we can look forward to POTF2 R2, Flash back Luke, POTJ Chewy and All new likeness Leia. Oh boy, I think I'll buy 2.:stupid:

Sith Lord 0498
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm reading it differently, and it's one of two things:

1) You actually receive reproductions of the four original 1977 Kenner figures, which is really cool.

OR

2) You receive the VOTC versions of the figures, and considering they retailed for $10 each--$30 is a bargain (conveniently forgetting how cheap they were on clearance for)

Slicker
03-29-2005, 02:41 AM
When I first saw it I immediately thought of the 4-pack that came out when POTF2 figs started coming out again. So I don't think it would be a stretch to have them release vintage figures again.

sith_killer_99
03-29-2005, 11:19 AM
When consumers buy an empty box at Wal-Mart Stores early Saturday, they'll get a certificate redeemable for the four Star Wars action figures originally available in 1977: Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, R2D2 and Chewbacca. Hasbro has produced only 50,000 boxes.

To me it seems these will be repros of the 1977 figures. I hope that is the case, if so I wounder is Hasbro will do the double telescoping lightsaber for Luke of the regular one?

It will be interesting to find out exactly which figures these will be.

Kidhuman
03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
This is sounding more like a scavenger hunt then a freakin exclusive.

evenflow
03-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I wouldnt mind if it was VOTC figures in a mail away set done like the vintage ones. They could include a green crossbow for chewbacca and some type of telescoping feature for lukes lightsaber. Maybe include a yellow saber.

JediTricks
03-29-2005, 06:44 PM
This thing looks a little lame to me, you don't know what you're getting in the mail or when, there's no actual toys inside, and you're paying like $30 for it. I have a bad feeling about this.

Turbowars
03-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Yeah it is lame, but maybe inside the $30 box there will be pictures of what will be coming to us.

JediTricks
03-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Man, that seems cold blooded. :D "Here's what you'll eventually be getting, sucker! And if you don't like it, too bad because you already bought the box!" If the photos were at least on the outside of the packaging, I suppose it wouldn't be TOO bad. I wonder if Hasbro is expecting collectors to NOT send in the certificates.

dindae
03-29-2005, 07:04 PM
I am sure they are counting on at least a few extremist to by two so they can have the one unopened and one they send away. :crazed:

Turbowars
03-29-2005, 07:07 PM
I am sure they are counting on at least a few extremist to by two so they can have the one unopened and one they send away. :crazed:Well duh!!! Isn't everyone doing that?:stupid:

sith_killer_99
03-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Man, that seems cold blooded. "Here's what you'll eventually be getting, sucker! And if you don't like it, too bad because you already bought the box!" If the photos were at least on the outside of the packaging, I suppose it wouldn't be TOO bad. I wonder if Hasbro is expecting collectors to NOT send in the certificates.

Hehehehe.........yeah, that's what I thought in 1977, when a buddy of mine got the "Early Bird" empty box! I believe I laughed at him! Man, I wish I had one of those in mint condition now. :crazed:

That was "marketing genius by accident," said Jim Silver, who follows the industry as editor of Toy Wishes magazine.

Marketing genius?!?!?!

WTF, more like retail torture for kids! Imagine getting an IOU for Christmas! Now it wouldn't seem like a big deal, for adults, but for a kid that's like..............forever!

It was a bad idea then and it's a bad idea now. Mail away figures?!?!

I have never been long on patients.

But I am a sucker for Star Wars so I will buy one. :crazed:

Beast
03-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Here you go guys, the news from Rebel Scum:

Wal-Mart Exclusive Early Bird Kit Hints At New Star Wars Line
Posted by Curto on March 29, 2005:

From DarthInsider:

The “Early Bird” Figure package at Wal-Mart that everyone is speculating on, is just that: the set with include a certificate to mail into Hasbro to guarantee the first four figures in the new Star Wars figure line that will debut next December/January (post-Revenge of the Sith).

Hoping to keep the line fresh and alive after the excitement of Episode III wears off, and Hasbro will focus on continuing their robust licensing relationship with Lucas, which doesn’t expire until 2018.

Rumours are flying fast that Hasbro will “reintroduce” the line in new and creative ways.

Look for a combination of all six movies under the one line, the eventual introduction of the new TV line (scheduled for late 2006), and whatever else Lucasfilm has cooked up (animation, 3D movies, etc., etc.).

Hasbro will continue with the 3¾” figure scale. The first four figures are Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia Organa, Chewbacca, and R2-D2, just like the Vintage line. These will be based on their appearance in A New Hope.

And from Scum's Forums, posted by Huff_T:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/925729/EB.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/925729/EB2.JPG

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Slicker
03-30-2005, 02:49 AM
That is friggin' pimp. I like how more retailers are starting to encase the figures and such in the plastic clamshells. This will be a definite buy for me. Actually this'll be 2 buys for me. One to keep and one to send in.

Fluke Skywalker
03-30-2005, 03:34 AM
This is a sweet idea. I'll spend $30 on faith for these babies. Any idea when we'd get them?

elkkthunder
03-30-2005, 04:02 AM
a little help

will these only be at the walmarts with the 48 hours of the force tent event or will all walmarts have them??

only because for NY they list 1 WM for the 48 hr event and it is no where near me.

a little info if you can help would be great

Beast
03-30-2005, 04:32 AM
This is a sweet idea. I'll spend $30 on faith for these babies. Any idea when we'd get them?
It says sometime between May 25th, 2005 and December 31st, 2005.. if I can make it out correctly. :)

dindae
03-30-2005, 07:56 AM
It says sometime between May 25th, 2005 and December 31st, 2005.. if I can make it out correctly. :)

So sometime between the mass push of product for EIII ends and the figure are available at retail. I'm glad they are nailing that down. Hmmm now I have to decide if its worth the extra dough to get a box with a cheap background which is only draw is that it is a vintage repro. I'll probably do it since I will be in a buying frenzy on the 2nd, but I doubt it will rank high on my excitement meter.

JEDIpartner
03-30-2005, 08:12 AM
This is just the weirdest thing in the world...

Kidhuman
03-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Pass on this. I will buy the four figures when they come out.

Hellboy
03-30-2005, 05:24 PM
I won't be giving them my money either. :p

Lets say the figures end up retailing for $5 a piece, that means you're paying an extra $10 for a plastic clamshell with some cardboard in it and a six month IOU. Gimme a break, you'd think Hasbro and Wal-Mart could come up with something better than this to honor the final film in the SW saga. This doesn't even have anything to do with EP III. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-30-2005, 05:33 PM
What's this new line all about? Are they all repros of vintage figures, or what? I don't really want new versions of every single character already produced. I think it'd be cool for vintage repros in this set, but not as a whole line. Very interesting . . .

Turbowars
03-30-2005, 06:01 PM
They say it's a new line, so they might be all new figures. Since we all know from past experience hasbro called the OTC line New.

evenflow
03-30-2005, 07:00 PM
I am so lost right now, first off none of the Walmarts by me will have this. :( I don't know if i can afford a new line. I hope they dont change the scale.

Rebo's_Guitarist
03-30-2005, 07:19 PM
So is it possible that when you get these first 4 figures that they will have any indication on them that they are from the early bird set? Or will the just be 4 regular figures......................

Turbowars
03-30-2005, 08:44 PM
They will probably be shipped loose rubber banded together with a address sticker on the bundle.:sur:

JEDIpartner
03-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Who knows...

Sith Lord 0498
03-30-2005, 09:27 PM
The way in which the Official Site article from today describes it--we are getting reproductions of the original first four Kenner figures from 1977. There's no mention of a new Post-ROTS line.

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/hasbro/news20050329.html

Beast
03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
The way in which the Official Site article from today describes it--we are getting reproductions of the original first four Kenner figures from 1977. There's no mention of a new Post-ROTS line.

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/hasbro/news20050329.html
Nowhere in that article does it say they are reproductions of the original four Kenner figures from 1977. Everything we've heard so far indicate the four figures will be from the new line that will premire after the ROTS line ends. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Fluke Skywalker
03-31-2005, 12:36 AM
It says sometime between May 25th, 2005 and December 31st, 2005.. if I can make it out correctly.

Thanks. They sure didn't pin themselves down there did they? ;) I wish we knew for certain what these figures were. Why so shrouded in mystery? If these turn out to be repacks or something Hasbro will have a boot to the head coming.

Beast
03-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Nowhere in that article does it say they are reproductions of the original four Kenner figures from 1977. Everything we've heard so far indicate the four figures will be from the new line that will premire after the ROTS line ends. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
And I put my foot in my mouth. I re-read it a dozen times, and finally saw the 'reproductions' thing when it was pointed out on a different site. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see. But it would suck if they were just the repro figures from that TRU set a few years back. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dindae
03-31-2005, 09:18 AM
hmmm I guess I will get it then. I don't have any mint vintage figures. All the ones I have were the ones I played with as a kid. It's not a must have or anything but it's not a POTF2 rerelease either.

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 06:22 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

And I put my foot in my mouth. I re-read it a dozen times, and finally saw the 'reproductions' thing when it was pointed out on a different siteJust to clarify, here's what JJB is referring to in this second quote (bold-emphasis mine):

And, for a limited time only, collectors will be able to purchase (while supplies last) the Wal-Mart "Early-Bird" Exclusive - classic reproductions of the first four original Star Wars action figures from 1977. I would have put more stock into the story you had reposted earlier JJB, but it was Curto reporting and this close to April Fools, I trust him even less than usual.

As for this set, I would definitely not be surprised if these were just more pressings from those '95 molds they pulled from the original figures (you know, the molds that came out a little smaller than the original figs because they didn't take into account the plastic shrinkage issues).

gsr-jedi
04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Whatever this set is, it should be fairly easy to get. There are going to be the same amount as the Lava Vaders (50,000), but is only going to be available at the 400 or so stores with tents, that means 125 per store with tent.

Jaina Solo
04-02-2005, 12:50 AM
This is the craziest, lamest idea for an exclusive I've ever heard. $30 for some figures that might or might not be repacks. Gee, I'll have to run over to Wal-Mart right now and stand in line to get one...

...Not.

dindae
04-02-2005, 06:41 PM
So the Wal-Mart that I called to comfirm when they were putting out the early bird figure didn't even get them in (neither did any of the others I checked). The tent sale was lame. They did give out the free Attackix 3 per person. Other than that one kid had a plastic lightsaber and a cheap jedi robe for the "dressed up characters". They also didn't have any of the Titanium series or if they did they sold them in the store at midnight. Over all disappointing.

jwmc1971
04-02-2005, 06:49 PM
my store ( port richey , fl) had a whole pallet ...atleast a hundred..i showed up at 7:30 and grabbed one cuz no one was guarding them and walked out with it just in time to get to target to get 2 of the lavas ....sweet day that started at 12:01 am... got all the stuff i wanted ..their was like 10 people there...got the ultimate 12" and a ton of other stuff ..spent like 450 $$...cant wait till next wave !!

JON9000
04-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I wounder if Luke's saber will be double telescoping?

Beast
04-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Ok, the card that comes with the Early Bird kit says that they are 'Updated Versions of the Original Early Bird Figures'. So I'm going to call shenanigans here and say that these will be all new sculpts, and not the vintage remolds from the TRU set of old. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
04-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Even if they are new figures I'm still glad I didn't get this exclusive. I don't believe for a second that there was only 50,000 of these released. There were a ton of these Early Bird sets (2 pallets) at the one tent sale I went to and I was extremely surprised at the amount of people buying this. Suckers!! lol

dindae
04-04-2005, 08:50 AM
50,000 is a lot though. There were also 50,000 vader and they had enough for 32-48 at every store and still have enough to sell them online. The fact that not many stores got these is what makes this seem so rare. None of the ones in Nashville area. This is a major metropolitan area. It's no New York or LA but I would figure at least the store that had the tent sale would get them. Oh well I got mine online so I'm not too upset. It seems to me like this was rushed as if someone in corporate Wal-Mart got wind that TRU and Target had exclusive on the 2nd and put the screws to Hasbro and this is what they came up with.

LTBasker
04-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Other than that one kid had a plastic lightsaber and a cheap jedi robe for the "dressed up characters".

You don't happen to be in Oklahoma do you? The same thing happened at the only Wal-Mart I found to have a tent sale. The only dressed up character was some Wal-mart employee walking around in a very cheap looking Jedi robe with a Hasbro lightsaber. Vader was supposed to show as they were advertising getting photos taken with him, but he never showed up. Really sucks for this family that came in while I was checking out, they had two kids who thought they were going to meet Vader.

ronhudy
04-04-2005, 04:47 PM
The same thing happened at the only Wal-Mart I found to have a tent sale. The only dressed up character was some Wal-mart employee walking around in a very cheap looking Jedi robe with a Hasbro lightsaber. Vader was supposed to show as they were advertising getting photos taken with him, but he never showed up. Really sucks for this family that came in while I was checking out, they had two kids who thought they were going to meet Vader.

I hit two WM in Las Vegas for the tent sale. One didn't even have the photos, 'cause "the photo lab called and their equipment was messed up". The other was doing photos, but same thing - an employee with a brown cape and one of the non-electronic lightsabers with the package still intact, in front of a Darth Vader stand-up. My son took one with him like he was stabbing the guy! Hey....it was free! :D

Other than getting an Early Bird set, some free munchies, and my kids picking up a handful of Attacktix, the whole event wasn't that impressive at all...

BanthaPoodoo
04-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Just bought one at WM.com, and went to another site & see where they have a scan of the send away:

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/revenge_of_the_sith/exclusives/early_bird_certificate_package/009.jpg

Do you think we could just print this out & send it in? That way we don't have to get the thing & open it (for us folks that can't stand the thought of releasing these from they're plastic prison......)

The 'Xir
04-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah the whole Vader photo thing was just that a Stand Up, not anyone in costume! Not unless you got lucky and your walmart had an employee with a really good Vader costume! My Walmart SUCKED!!! They told me everything I wanted to hear, OH YEAH Tent event, OH yeah Early Bird Special....12AM comes...NOTHING!!! I was ****ed!!! and I put about $400 worth of toys on layaway! Boy I got suckered worse than Anakin falling to the Darkside!

Just to let you guys know... The 'Early Bird Special' IS available on www.walmart.com

Just ordered mine!!! Sure looks to me like reproductions of the original release figures!

Reefer Shark
04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Just bought one at WM.com, and went to another site & see where they have a scan of the send away:

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/revenge_of_the_sith/exclusives/early_bird_certificate_package/009.jpg

Do you think we could just print this out & send it in? That way we don't have to get the thing & open it (for us folks that can't stand the thought of releasing these from they're plastic prison......)

I see, send in your original receipt with a print out of this scan. You never know, that could work if you can find out the correct paper stock to print it on.

I don't know if I would risk it though. I would be really bummed if I was stuck with the kit, but no figures.

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 03:05 AM
I suspect the reason so many WMs didn't get this is that the entire concept came VERY late in the game and they just weren't able to get many out the warehouse (either Hasbro's or WM's), the news about this one came up very quickly, much later after the Yoda & Vader exclusives, and there's no actually product inside except for cardboard. That's all just a guess though.

ronhudy
04-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I suspect the reason so many WMs didn't get this is that the entire concept came VERY late in the game and they just weren't able to get many out the warehouse (either Hasbro's or WM's), the news about this one came up very quickly, much later after the Yoda & Vader exclusives, and there's no actually product inside except for cardboard. That's all just a guess though.

My son got one and opened it...inside is the certificate for the figures, the carboard stand/background, some stickers, and a code for 3 free months of Hyperspace access. It does say that stands will come with the figures also for placing them into the background.

On a side note, I just got the $1 off per figure Target thing in the mail yesterday (04/04), and although it says good only on 4/2, I wonder if they'll honor it still...anyone know/use theirs AFTER 04/02?

Hellboy
04-05-2005, 04:37 PM
On a side note, I just got the $1 off per figure Target thing in the mail yesterday (04/04), and although it says good only on 4/2, I wonder if they'll honor it still...anyone know/use theirs AFTER 04/02?

At this point it doesn't really matter. On 4/2 Target was charging $5.99 a figure so the coupon brought the price down to $4.99. The new price on all Basic figures is now $5 even so I suppose you could try if you're really in need of that penny. ;)

hestep99
04-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I just hope the figs they send us are cool. I almost passed on this deal but I knew if I didn't get it I would kick myself later when it came out. Always a sucker, always a consumer. Blah

ronhudy
04-05-2005, 06:56 PM
At this point it doesn't really matter. On 4/2 Target was charging $5.99 a figure so the coupon brought the price down to $4.99. The new price on all Basic figures is now $5 even so I suppose you could try if you're really in need of that penny. ;)

I meant on new purchases...do you think they'd take $1 off of the $5, bringing it down to $4?

Hellboy
04-05-2005, 07:17 PM
I don't see why Target would bring the price down to $4. It was clearly stated on the mailer that it was a one day only sale and even if they were sympathetic to you not getting yours in time why would they give you an opportunity to purchase figures for a dollar less than what they were being sold for with the discount on the 2nd?

The only way you're going to get any savings from Target now would be if you bought figures on April 2nd and paid $5.99 a piece for them. You could take your receipt back to them and they would give you the $.99 differece since they've now dropped to $5.