PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars TV Show Confirmed!

El Chuxter
03-25-2005, 02:23 PM
A co-worker directed me to this site about a minute ago. Not sure how reputable it is, since I'm seeing nothing else about it, but it looks like Sansweet spilled the news in Now Playing magazine.

http://syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1775

Nothing concrete, though with as many loose lips as seem to be around LFL lately, it looks like a TV show is a done deal.

Ji'dai
03-25-2005, 04:54 PM
SirSteve posted a news item about this a few days ago. I just don't read anything in Sansweet's comments to get excited about. It just sounds as if LucasFilm is only trying to assure their license holders and future partners that they will continue to develop the property after this last feature film. These companies (Hasbro, etc) have invested heavily in fees and royalties well into the future to license this property and I'm sure they want LucasFilm to continue keeping it in the public eye.

I can see them doing another cartoon series but a live-action series would be much more costly if they intend on doing the same level of special effects as we see in the feature films. Maybe a television mini-series would be more likely or a couple of one-hour specials.

Kidhuman
03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Nice, Ihope it is a go....

evenflow
03-25-2005, 10:22 PM
I prefer cartoon to live action. I really want to see a Shadows of the Empire cartoon.

sith_killer_99
03-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Well, the rumor of a live action television series has been floating around for quite some time, and Sci-Fi magazine also mentioned it. I believe it will be a go. The only real questions are what and when.

What will the series be based around? There has been a lot of speculation on this one. I wouldn't even attempt to guess.

As for when, Sci-Fi says we will most likely have to wait unitl 2006 or later.

With all the outstanding special effects we have seen in the current line of Sci-Fi shows I believe it is doable. A few made for TV movies or mini-series would allow for some diversity in the stories they want to tell, whereas a series would allow for more character development.

As for cartoons, there are too many options to list. Shadows of the Empire is definatly at the top of the list. Something like Star Wars Tales would allow for a wide range of short stories from the SW universe. :D

I personally would love to see the Timothy Zahn trilogy done as a mini-series cartoon.

Rocketboy
03-26-2005, 12:43 PM
There was the rumor that Kevin Smith and Mark Hamill would would both involved in a live action series somehow.
It's the kind of rumor that Kevin usually dismisses fairly quickly, but he's remained fairly tight-lipped about it, leading to more specualtion.

Dark Annie
04-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I think that the live-action TV series sounds pretty cool. I think one really cool idea would be to do a TV mini-series encompassing the entire New Jedi Order book series. It should work out pretty well since Mark Hamill is older. And they would need to find a very attractive woman to play Mara Jade. I dont think that Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford would be interested in playing Han or Leia though, and it just wouldnt be the same unless they did. The only other older actor they might need would be Billy Dee Williams and I havent heard much about him in a long time. The Yuuzan Vong would just be awesome. Alright, enough rambling. I just thought it was a cool idea. By the way, who is Kevin Smith?

El Chuxter
04-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Alright, enough rambling. I just thought it was a cool idea. By the way, who is Kevin Smith?

Wh-wh-WHAT? :eek: Just kidding. Kevin Smith is the director of Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Jersey Girl, and the upcoming Passion of the Clerks (and Green Hornet?). He also plays Silent Bob in many of his films. He is a huge Star Wars fan and has inserted at least one reference in each of his films.

I can't see any TV series actually adapting existing stories (especially without the actors for major characters like Han and Leia), but I'd have no problem with something working around the NJO time period. I think the Prequel era (especially post-ROTS) is more likely. My money's on Asajj Ventress being involved somehow.

Ji'dai
04-05-2005, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't watch a live-action series if Kevin Smith was involved. I'm not a fan of his work.

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to reassmble the original cast for a short mini-series. Hamill, Fisher, and Billy Dee would probably do it. Although Billy Dee apparently doesn't like Lando-jokes from the way his "Undercover Brother" co-stars talk. Harrison Ford is at the point where his [action] star status is in decline, if not dead already, so he could be tempted to do it. And he did play Indiana Jones at age 50 on an episode of Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. The rest of the supporting cast practically make a living on their Star Wars claim-to-fame so you know they'd do it.

So what would it be? Some last grand adventure to set the stage for a younger "The Next Generation" cast to step in and take the reins of the fledgling New Republic?

Rocketboy
04-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Newsaskew (Kevin Smith news site) did have a small item on Kevin's involvement/non-involvement with a Star Wars tv series, during on of his recent Q & As:

"STAR WARS TV SERIES"
Although Kevin was extremely coy when asked, as always, he did say he’d be interested if such a show began production and said the show (again, if it started production) would most likely take place between the two trilogies, involving both major and minor characters. To this, we say...COOOL!

Although Billy Dee apparently doesn't like Lando-jokes from the way his "Undercover Brother" co-stars talk. He seemed pretty comfortable doing Star Wars jokes when he was on "That 70's Show."

Ji'dai
04-06-2005, 07:52 PM
He seemed pretty comfortable doing Star Wars jokes when he was on "That 70's Show."

I've never seen that program, but I've heard they do a lot of SW references. I'm sure he was aware his guest stint would involve Star Wars. But were they trying to make it appear as if he just filmed ESB? He ain't no spring chicken no more.

Rocketboy
04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I've never seen that program, but I've heard they do a lot of SW references. I'm sure he was aware his guest stint would involve Star Wars. But were they trying to make it appear as if he just filmed ESB? He ain't no spring chicken no more.He didn't play himself. He played a priest that loved Star Wars as much as Eric Foreman.

2-1B
04-06-2005, 11:26 PM
He loved Star Wars as much as he loved Eric Foreman or he loved Star Wars as much as Eric Foreman loved Star Wars ? :crazed:

El Chuxter
04-07-2005, 10:28 AM
The SW references on That 70s Show were funny at first, but got old quickly. I get sick of seeing him playing with TIE-Bombers and Power FX X-Wings in the 70s.

I also groaned when he knew the name of Dr Evazan. Interesting; I don't believe that name was invented until around 1986.

Kidhuman
04-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Well remove the question mark from the title....It is confirmed...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=31317

Slicker
04-23-2005, 11:32 AM
The best part is that in the little article it says they're gonna expand the Clone Wars cartoon to 30 minutes.

Kidhuman
04-23-2005, 11:35 AM
POSSIBLE SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But when season 3 ended, it led right into the beginning of ROTS

megaprime33
04-23-2005, 12:47 PM
I am totally excited about getting the live action tv show. I just really hope they don't screw it up. It's one of those things that can be done really really well, or it can just suck beyond imagine. There really isn't a middle ground here. Needless to say though, I can't wait for it.

My concern is if it is going to take place after ROTJ, then we won't see any Sith. I really hope that isnt the case because, IMO, the best kinda fight is one where it's saber against saber. I have never read any of the expanded universe so I really have no idea if there are any sith or any enemy that carries a lightsaber, so I could be completely wrong.

Rocketboy
04-23-2005, 03:46 PM
It is confirmed...They've been confirmed for quite a while now. We just haven't had any details (until now).

But as for the live action show starring secondary characters...huh?
I smell the adventures of Nute Gunray!

General_Grievous
04-23-2005, 04:37 PM
While he said secondary characters, I just pray that they'll add Darth Vader and the Emperor in there a bit.

megaprime33
04-23-2005, 09:09 PM
If it's all secondary characters then what the hell is it going to be about?? All of the jedi will be gone, and I really don't consider the emperor and vader secondary characters, so what's this going to be, the wacky adventures of Yaddle?

Kidhuman
04-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, more details than when I originally posted it. Sounds even better now than 12 hours ago.

Pendo
04-24-2005, 06:31 AM
If it's all secondary characters then what the hell is it going to be about?? All of the jedi will be gone, and I really don't consider the emperor and vader secondary characters, so what's this going to be, the wacky adventures of Yaddle?
Well I'm hoping it'll be a Boba Fett series!

*fingers crossed*

PENDO!

Rocketboy
04-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Here's the newest info:
-100 episodes
-1 hour each
-Based on a spinoff character
-Lucas will direct first season
-Write season one at one time
-Film season one at one time
-Takes place between ROTS and ANH

Speculate away!

Pendo
04-25-2005, 01:13 AM
-Lucas will direct first season

Damn, there goes my confidence in the show :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

megaprime33
04-25-2005, 09:58 AM
You know it's funny, I remember reading an article at ign.com about the TV series(tried to find it but can't)and the rumor was that the show was going to be an hour long, written season by season, and be about yaddle. That's why I mentioned that in my previous post. So far, it seems as though the rumor is true. I hope to everything that is holy that it won't be about yaddle, but the other 2 seem to be true so far......

Rocketboy
04-25-2005, 11:28 AM
I hope to everything that is holy that it won't be about yaddle, but the other 2 seem to be true so far......Don't see how, since Yaddle died between Episode I and II.
Plus, it seems like it would be too hard to do a show like that with a muppet and too costly with a CG version.

El Chuxter
04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
So, uh, with Tartakovsky gone, who's directing this cartoon?

Oh, wait, you said 3-D?!?! :eek: My hopes are dashed. Star Wars ends with ROTS, unless Tim Zahn or James Luceno write more books

megaprime33
04-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Don't see how, since Yaddle died between Episode I and II.
Plus, it seems like it would be too hard to do a show like that with a muppet and too costly with a CG version.
I hope you're right. Be very interesting to see whom it will be about.

Rocketboy
04-25-2005, 05:33 PM
I hope you're right. Be very interesting to see whom it will be about.Theforce.net has a report today that...
*ROTS SPOILER BELOW*

Amy "Aayla Secura" Allen said that she doesn't sie in Sith and that she talked briefly with Lucas about having some sort of involvement in the series, but she didn't specify (maybe she didn't know) if it were a starring or supporting role.

tagmac
04-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Hmmm.....could it be the show might center on Quinlan Vos? In this case, it would make sense to have Aayla Secura have a major role. The possibility remains that we'll finally get to see more of Aurra Sing, what with all the hype (and figures) she got for all of 2 seconds of screen time.

Unfortunately, see this show going the way of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Even a Boba Fett spinoff, which would be interesting for a while if it could bring in a young Han Solo and possibly Lando, to finally give us more of the backstory between those guys.

About the only thing that might make sense is if the show focused on all of the Bounty Hunters, which would at least widen the possibilities for different stories, while providing opportunities for main characters to make a guest appearance here or there. Gonna be very interesting to see what George has up his sleeve.

Fluke Skywalker
04-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Amy "Aayla Secura" Allen said that she doesn't sie in Sith and that she talked briefly with Lucas about having some sort of involvement in the series, but she didn't specify (maybe she didn't know) if it were a starring or supporting role.

Uggh! :dis: I get the feeling that the series is going to be in the mold of 'The Fugitive' with a surviving Jedi hiding out from the Jedi 'Purge' and helping various people along the way.

And the cartoon in 3-D? Boy GL has suddenly fallen in love with 3-D hasn't he?

Still hoping at least one of them turns out well :nerv:

El Chuxter
04-26-2005, 12:09 PM
My money is still on Asajj Ventress, severely disillusioned by the events of ROTS, evading the Jedi Purge. Aayla would be nice, though. I haven't seen a live-action Asajj, but I imagine she's not as purty.

It just clicked with me also that "3D" does not mean "put on silly glasses and everything pops out at you!" :) Which makes me wonder: former LFL subsidiary Pixar has kept quite mum on what's coming after Cars (so that Disney won't own it all, methinks), so I can't help but wonder. . . .

waboritas
04-26-2005, 05:10 PM
I don't like the part that it does not involve main characters (the thought of the Ewok movies and the original 80's cartoon comes to mind, which just didn't make any sense and was totally irrelevant) and takes place between III and IV. Why wouldn't he want to tell the story of Luke and Leia's youth? What did Darth, Tarkin and Palps do for 20 years after the Jedi were extinguished? What would be really cool is if they told the story of the building of the Rebel Alliance and focused on Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and we got to see Captain Antiles as a potential hero instead of the poor sap that got 20 seconds of screen time before getting offed in IV. They should involve the Bounty Hunters. I hope they go the route of cable and it is a premium chanel thing like Sopranos (1 hour long no commercials).

El Chuxter
04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Because nothing of any real excitement happens during Luke's early life. If it had, why would he want to get off Tatooine?

I'm sure no matter who the focus of the series turns out to be, Vader and Palpatine will be pretty important players, even if they never appear in the series. And Tarkin, Mon Mothma, and Captain Antilles don't exactly qualify as "major" characters, so who knows?

I just hope the new Clone Wars cartoons steer clear of all the established Jedi. Obi-Wan and Anakin have every single second of the Clone Wars accounted for; you could actually take all the existing stories, put them together, and determine exactly when each of them had time to go to the bathroom! :eek: Mace, Yoda, Ki-Adi, Quinlan, and most of the others are pretty much covered as well. Even--all joking aside here--Barriss Offee has two novels devoted entirely to her! Since any TV show has to, by definition, be EU, it should work within what's come before.

I have faith that everyone involved will put more effort into this than was put into the Ewok movies. Except for Teek. You can't deny that little guy had some serious dedication to his craft!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-26-2005, 06:51 PM
This could either be great or horrible. I'd like to see a show about the formation of the Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire, but it seems like we'll see much of that in ROTS (if you think that's a spoiler, you're retarded). I wouldn't want to see any characters from the films unless they are played by the same actors. I'd imagine it would be quite easy to get Michonne Bouriagge (Aurra Sing) and Amy Allen (Aayla Secura) to be in it. It could be "The Hot Chicks of Star Wars Hour!" I'd definitely watch that. :D

I hope that the new Clone Wars would still be done by Genndy and Co. If not, then don't even bother. They could easily fill in all the parts between when Ani gets knighted and when his hair is all long, or they could just have minor characters too. I'm excited to see how this TV thing plays out.

Fluke Skywalker
04-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Merely slapping the words 'Star Wars' on it and maybe re-cycling John Williams' music isn't going to be enough. It's got to feel like Star Wars. That's why a KOTOR type of story line would have seemed to make make sense here. It cuold have focused on a paticular Jedi and could have gone through the 'Hero's journey' that SW is known for.

Placing it smack in the middle of Ep III and IV is problamtic. What do you do? Focus on the formation of the Republic? 'Yawn' No more C-Span Star Wars thank you. As mentioned before, an entire show about young Luke or Leia's life wouldn't quite work for a weekly hour long show (But would certainly be good material for stand alone novels).

I have to say that, IMVHO, the best idea would probably be to center the show around Boba Fett, and set it about ten years after ROTS. Yep, make him the protaganist. Every week a new adventure as he works for various crime lords and even the Empire to bring in bounties. It would even allow an occasinal appearance by Vader. Run in's with Stormtroopers. You would probably have to trample all over the EU canon, but that happens all the time anyway, especially with the PT and Boba's story (Or so I've heard. I don't read EU stuff)

Darth Cruel
04-27-2005, 06:13 PM
http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,12938,221800_1_0_,00.html

I hope that link works. It is to a small blurb on Entertainment Weekly''s website. Sounds like it is old news now, though.

1st Prime
04-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Hey i want to see IG-88 do some damage on this series. thx. :D

Sebulba_Fett
05-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by SirSteve

Australian actor Matthew Newton could play Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader character in an upcoming Star Wars television series to be shot in Australia.

Australian actor Matthew Newton could become the lead character in an upcoming Star Wars television series, according to SciFi Wire.

George Lucas has reportedly checked on Newton's availability to see if he's willing to join the cast of Star Wars to return as a TV series. In fact, Newton was even flown to Skywalker Ranch to test for the role.

Matthew Newton appeared in the movie "Queen of the Damned.” He met George Lucas when he auditioned to play a young adult Anakin Skywalker in "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones."

Newton, now 28, is believed to be the runner-up to Hayden Christensen, who evolved the the Anakin Skywalker character into Darth Vader.

With the latest installment of Star Wars saga, the Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader character was played by seven different people:

David Prowse played Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader the first three films (Episode IV, V, VI) in the Darth Vader suit;

James Earl Jones as the voice for all films containing Vader;

Bob Anderson as the duelist for the fight scenes in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi;

Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker once Darth Vader’s helmet is removed at the end of the Return of the Jedi

Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in Episode II and III.

Jake Lloyd in Episode I as a young Anakin Skywalker.

Arjun Varma, sources: SyFyPortal.com, agencies.

Source: FashionMonitor.com (http://toronto.fashion-monitor.com/news.php/television/2005052504star_wars_tv)

So, who is this guy? Anybody ever hear of him? Pictures?

Originally Posted by Rocketboy

Also, was Amy Allen sniffing paint fumes during that interview, or what? Seems to me she bit it during the movie. All though it was off camera so it could be written that she wasn't completely killed.

Oh, and one last thing. May be good news for some. I know I'm kind of excited about it. Anyways, I'm not sure who all reads the Dark Horse comics, but in the final issue of "Obsession" that came out on the 5/18, an interesting revelation came up.

Spoiler Warning for those who want to read it themselves. . .
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Asajj Ventress survived through ROTS. Will she be written into the show? Speculations anyone?

Rocketboy
05-26-2005, 04:36 PM
I highly doubt the accuracy of the Matthew Newton story.
Rick McCallum said there won't be any movement or discussions about the series until the fall, after everyone takes a break from the Sith craziness.

Tycho
05-26-2005, 04:40 PM
OK, I don't like the idea of yet another actor playing Anakin. And for what? Flashbacks to his career as a Jedi? With someone else as Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Can't they get "guest stars" and pay (for limited episodes) Hayden and Ewan if they really need it?

I thought that anybody could don Vader's get-up since you can't see him. But will J.E. Jones do the voice? (I don't want substitutes).

Why can't young Han Solo evolving out of a lost Clone Trooper kid be a series, including Boba Fett, some of the events in the Young Han Solo books, against the formation of the Rebel Alliance with Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa, whomever as Mon Mothma since she was cut out of the film (possibly for that reason), and Young Princess Leia (who shouldn't meet Han Solo) but who could be doing refugee relief work when she's old enough, apprenticing as a legislator, preparing to become the representative to Alderaan in the Imperial Senate.

Boba Fett could be hired by Vader to do some work - or Jabba (with Fett) could figure into the picture somehow.

But I really don't want to see someone else, especially 28? play Anakin.

Anakin fell down by the lava when he was 22-23 years old. Any 28 year old would only be seen in black Vader armor.

El Chuxter
05-26-2005, 04:41 PM
My money's on Asajj. I've said it before.

Asajj rules!!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-26-2005, 04:59 PM
OK, I don't like the idea of yet another actor playing Anakin.

Why not? He certainly couldn't do worse than HC.

Can't they get "guest stars" and pay (for limited episodes) Hayden and Ewan if they really need it?

They could but GLu's gonna watch the budget cause it's doubtful he'd make a buttload of money like the movies. Plus who says the actors want to return? Heck, Ewan didn't even want to go to the premiere of EP3 and Harrison Ford didn't want to go back for ROTJ.

I thought that anybody could don Vader's get-up since you can't see him. But will J.E. Jones do the voice?

If Jones is too busy maybe they can get the guy who does the CNN bumper voiceovers. ;)

ronhudy
05-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Boba Fett could be hired by Vader to do some work

Agreed! We need to see Boba disentegrate someone...so we have a reference to Darth's comments in ESB. "I want them alive...NO disentegrations!" :)

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2005, 03:01 PM
If Jones is too busy maybe they can get the guy who does the CNN bumper voiceovers. ;)
I'd rather see it be the guy from the Verizon commercials.

megaprime33
05-27-2005, 03:43 PM
I'd rather see it be the guy from the Verizon commercials.
I think the guy who did the voice of Musfasa in Disneys the Lion King would really be the best choice.

DarthQuack
05-27-2005, 05:28 PM
That would be James Earl Jones. I'm really looking forward to seeing a TV series. It would definitely be something different for us to experience.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-27-2005, 05:30 PM
I doubt that story about Matthew Newton. Is this him?

http://www.turksims.net/Giysiler/Setler/Resimler/QueenOfTheDamned/Erkek/Armandreal.jpg

He looks weird. And there would be no point in having Anakin any more, unless he was taking off his helmet for some stupid reason. They already said that the story would take place between ROTS and ANH, so why would they need this guy? Unless he's not playing Anakin; then I have no problem with it.

Rocketboy
05-27-2005, 09:46 PM
And there would be no point in having Anakin any more, unless he was taking off his helmet for some stupid reason.You mean like whipping the faceplate up and yelling "I can't breathe in this thing?"

Veers
05-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Very interesting. I hope it is not a failure like the Ewok Adventure movies.

darko666
05-28-2005, 12:27 AM
My money's on Asajj. I've said it before.

Asajj rules!!

i'm with you on that one. i have this strange feeling that she will be in the show. she is such a great character and would make a great villian for the show.

figrin bran
05-28-2005, 01:44 AM
I doubt that story about Matthew Newton. Is this him?

http://www.turksims.net/Giysiler/Setler/Resimler/QueenOfTheDamned/Erkek/Armandreal.jpg

He looks weird. And there would be no point in having Anakin any more, unless he was taking off his helmet for some stupid reason. They already said that the story would take place between ROTS and ANH, so why would they need this guy? Unless he's not playing Anakin; then I have no problem with it.

anakin could most definitely appear if they were to have flashback segments. amy allen/aayla secura could appear too and so maybe it wasn't a complete lie when she said she might possibly be in the series. or she could play another character.

1st Prime
05-31-2005, 09:18 AM
If anyone saw the Burger King commercial w/Vader @ some guys door. Who did the voice? Not JEJ? The voice sounded descent? But if Vader is in this series Lucas wouldn't let us down w/another voice actor. :)

darko666
06-13-2005, 01:18 PM
well, according to THEFORCE.net, Lucas is hinting at having Boba Fett in the show. this article is nothing major when it comes to depth, but to hear the show might have Fett, is cool to know.

http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Lucas_Hints_at_TV_Series_Character_93226.asp

El Chuxter
06-13-2005, 01:31 PM
To quote Palpatine, "No! Nooo! NOOOOOOO!!!"

To quote Luke Skywalker, "No. No! It's not true!!"

Why not just make it Star Wars Makeovers Starring Aurra Sing? It'd suck less than a Boba Fett show.

CaptainSolo1138
06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Chux, you forgotsomething (http://darthno.ytmnd.com/)......

Tycho
06-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Boba Fett:

TPM - cloned from Jango during the year of the Battle of Naboo

AOTC - 10 years later, looking the same age as growth accelerated Clones made 5 years prior. The prototype is approaching the end of his youth only to see his father slain by the Jedi Knight Mace Windu.

ROTS - 3 years later, after coming of age during the blood Clone Wars and tangling with the likes of Aurra Sing, Count Dooku, Durge, General Grievous, and Anakin Skywalker, Fett has established that even as a 14 year old, he can be of service to Jabba The Hutt.

Post ROTS:

Daniel Logan, now 16 (he was 12 during AOTC filming, 14 in 2002 upon its release), could play Boba Fett coming of age. He would likely almost fit his Mandalorian uniform.

He would work independently, but semi-often enough for Jabba The Hutt - another recurring character possiblity.

Boba Fett (on the show) could be anywhere from 14 (unlikely though) to 18 - as Danny Logan could play him this age.

The other guy, who played the Red Jumpsuit Uniform Clones in the commisary on Kamino, could portray Boba at a slightly older age.

Temurra Morrison might play him closer to ANH's age, but they'd have to make him appear younger. Boba is 32 during ANH.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Han Solo is 29 during ANH and would have to be played by a Harrison Ford look-alike, otherwise, you'd have to go back much earlier to teenage years.

Han would be 10 during ROTS, so any appearance by this character would have to be from age 10 to age 22 to not have to be a real ringer for Harrison.

12 years post ROTS would make

Luke and Leia up to 12 years old at the max. They could get away with that, since 12 year old don't have all their adult features like the 18 year old Carrie Fisher did (well, technically Carrie kept a baby face during ANH, and she matured more during ESB and especially ROTJ).

If Obi-Wan is in the show, he could be played by a new actor:

TPM - Obi-Wan is 24
AOTC - Obi-Wan is 34
ROTS - Obi-Wan is 37

Up to 12 years later, Obi-Wan would be 49

Obi-Wan is 56 in ANH when he duels Vader on the Death Star. Approx. Qui-Gon's age in TPM.

Ewan McGreggor is 34 years old now I think. Alec Guiness was in his early 60's when he played Obi-Wan.

Between 34 and 60 there are some changes that could allow for differences in appearance.

Most of us think they got lucky with casting Ewan McGreggor as someone who could both act in the role, and who could look like a young Alec Guiness (or we see what we want to see). Can they get lucky again?

If Ewan did cameo appearances (they'd be really, really, really lucky) they could make him look older than he is with some ease though. Making a 34 year old look like he's in his 40's or 50's is not impossible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So if the oldest is:

12 - Luke (19 in ANH)
12 - Leia
22 - Han
25 - Boba (have to be the guy who plays the young red jumpsuit clone)
49 - Obi-Wan (McGreggor, or someone else is possible)
34 - Vader
52 - Tarkin - not possibe w.o. Peter Cushing look alike. Tarkin was 60 in ANH.

We could have these main characters. I'm not sure how old Bail Organa is, but it'd be wise to have Jimmy Smits a TV actor in the show.

23 - age Han Solo was when he first met Chewbacca.

However, if the show were to "go on," you'd have to start earlier than this. If the show lasted 5 years, how could a 17 year old Luke not look identical to a 19 year old Luke played by Mark Hamill?

Or a 22 year old Han not look (at 27) the same as Harrison Ford in ANH?

You can't take a younger actor and accurately predict how they are going to age.

I would bet then they go back 5 years earlier...... or 7 years after ROTS?

7 - Luke (19 in ANH)
7 - Leia
15 - Han
18 - Boba (likely Danny Logan)
42 - Obi-Wan (McGreggor, or someone else is possible)
27 - Vader
45 - Tarkin - possibe. Tarkin was 60 in ANH.

Han would not meet Chewbacca if EU continuity was maintained.

If they started right after ROTS:

Too young - Luke (19 in ANH)
Too young - Leia
10 - Han
13 - Boba (likely Danny Logan)
37 - Obi-Wan (McGreggor, or else it wouldn't feel right)
22 - Vader (could be very interesting because this is right after his "birth")
40 - Tarkin - possibe if they fixed his head. "That's no moon. That's....."

megaprime33
06-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Why would they have Luke at any age on the TV show? So we can see how exciting it is to fix moisture vaporators? I can see maybe as a cameo, like Owen or Beru shouting out Luke's name or someone who clearly looks like Luke, but other than that....

Not to sound vein but out of all of the ideas I've heard I still like my idea the best of having the main 2 characters be a jedi created just for the show, and have his/her enemy be Ventress. Ventress was hired to hunt down and kill the remaining jedi but this one always seems to alude her. It would make a great show. Plus you can have eps where the Jedi meets up with Han and Chewie to smuggle him in to some port. That idea has so much potential. Ventress meeting with Fett and other bounty hunters, the jedi meeting up with other alive jedi, or maybe having a keepsake of a fallen, well known jedi. Ideas are limitless.

El Chuxter
06-14-2005, 10:46 AM
MP33, you know I prefer my crazed bald darkside Jedi-hunting babes to be Ventress-flavored. (Okay, that was a weird expression.) And I definitely want Ventress to be in the show, and love the idea of a Jedi on the run.

However, IF the show jives with established EU, Ventress cannot be hunting the Jedi. Following the events of Obsession, she knows the Sith have betrayed her and that she was used. She's not a reformed soul yet, but she's on her way there. The possibilities for character development here are nearly endless.

I think it's more likely she'd be the one on the run. Cameos and larger roles by bounty hunters would be perfect. Daniel Logan could be Boba Fett without destroying the little bit of mystique that remains with the character. Michonne Whatsherface could return as--

OOOOH!! OOOOOHH!! Great idea here. Love her or hate her, how freaking cool would it be for Aurra Sing to show up in a season finale as she squares off with her quarry, Asajj Ventress, in the ultimate match-up of the crazy pale bald Force-sensitive alien babes?

Tycho
06-14-2005, 10:57 AM
OOOOH!! OOOOOHH!! Great idea here. Love her or hate her, how freaking cool would it be for Aurra Sing to show up in a season finale as she squares off with her quarry, Asajj Ventress, in the ultimate match-up of the crazy pale bald Force-sensitive alien babes?

Next on Thursday Night SMACKDOWN - with your special hosts from 'The Man Show:' !!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd love a Boba Fett show! If/when they have him as an older man, they need to get Tem Morrison to do the voices. If not, then I can do a pretty convincing Jango voice. :D

I think the best way to do a show would be to change the focus after every few episodes. They could Boba Fett a few times, then Asajj a few times, then Aurra Sing, or Jabba, or whoever. I think it would be cool to see some of the pre-ANH stories in TV form. If they could get a good actor, I'd love to see the early adventures of Han Solo!

DarthQuack
06-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I think no matter what, this show is gonna be great, it's just the waiting that will kill us!

megaprime33
06-14-2005, 01:34 PM
I think no matter what, this show is gonna be great, it's just the waiting that will kill us!
That's actually not really true. We have no idea what this show is going to be. All we have is speculation. It could be all about the fun adventures of Jar Jar Binks! (*shudders*) But you were right on one thing, no matter what it is, all we can do is wait.

jeddah
06-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Re Matt Newton whose name has been mentioned above a few times, a little bit of info that may lend some credibility to the MN story is that it will be filmed in Australia because;

avid viewers of the fantastic Sci-Fi series Farscape will know Matt Newton for his role as Jothee, who is Ka Dargo's son. As Farscape was filmed in Sydney mostly, it jives well with the Matt Newton story but that's not to rule out the fact that the whole thing coulod be a construct.

Personally I loved the quality of the work on FS and if they are using similar personnel to film the new series, I'll be happy with teh quality of the sets, effects etc.

jeddah

Tycho
06-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Refresh my memory: who would Matt Newton play?

If I recall, someone said "Anakin." Why would they have ANYONE play Anakin after ROTS: he's a lava-burnt Darth Vader now.

If they did "Flashbacks," it'd be better if it was Pre-AOTC so a younger kid could be Anakin and then wouldn't have to look different from Hayden Christensen.

But then there's Obi-Wan.....

I really hope they steer clear of Anakin unless it's Darth Vader since anyone could be behind the mask if tall enough.

Rocketboy
06-15-2005, 01:33 PM
I really hope they steer clear of Anakin unless it's Darth Vader since anyone could be behind the mask if tall enough.Hayden wasn't tall enough for the Vader suit, but the right height would make it easier.

KPl
06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore. It's like Howard Hughes, the Company runs on shell-autopilot long after the pilot behind the controls has become a figment of his own imagination.

That said words to the effect of-

>>
Steve Sansweet, Lucasfilm's director of content management and fan relations, recently confirmed what has been the subject of many rumors on the Internet for months: a television series is in the works.
>>

(Translation) "PR man looking to ensure his future as head of the Mickey Mouse fan club, states that 'The Fat Lady Ain't Sung Yet!'"

Of course nothing beats this-

>>
I'm going to get it started, and hire the show runners and all of that, then I'll probably step away." Even host Jay Laga'aia had a hard time concentrating after that news.
Elaborating on the television series' setting in the chronology of the saga, Lucas explained that the idea currently in development takes place between Episodes III and IV. "There's none of the main characters from I, II, and III (or IV, V and VI for that matter) in the..." he stopped in mid-sentence. "Well, actually, that's not exactly true now that I think about it. We haven't really started the TV show, so it's hard to answer. There's a lot of issues that are connected, but you won't necessarily see a lot of the people that are connected."
>>

Which, so 3P0 tells me can be condensed to 'trying the waters with a cautious toe, if the fan-piranha bite too hard, I'll cut bait and run...' coupled to 'blah-blah-blah, I have no plan and any 'Connections' (land fill the gaping stripmine of the PT) are going to be less a process of James Burke and more Cleo On Crack for thin-really-thin-practically-anorexic levels of detail and interest.

IMO, the ONLY way to do this properly (which is not an admission that it should be done at all), is to hop in the waaaaaaay back machine. Forgetting the idiocies of the KOTOR storyline and ET-does-X-Files alienesque seeding of technology. As you show the origins of the Jedi connection with The Force and how they went from being an itinerant order of contemplative monks looking for 'vergences' in an energy field they had just begun to scientifically quantify. To a semi-militant set of local enforcers and bounty hunters that supplied Federal Marshall-meets-Circuit-Judge type justice and diplomatic negotiations as societies and species came together to form what would someday become the Republic.

In this, you could redo the ships and technology (AGAIN) to make a true primitivism (skeletal frameworks and exposed functional compartments like Space 1999) while making the 'Jeh-ah-DIE' something more dynamic in terms of how they view the world (what must be done to secure the Order will be) and /what/ work they undertake to make that happen (Hyperspace Navigation, CSI-meets-Clairvoyant Criminal Investigator, Healer, World Discovery/First Contact Specialist).

'Somewhere along the way' The Force would become stronger and stronger in these Jedi as they adapted it to many uses /until/ a strict codification of the Jedi Code started to fragment the individual members of a loose knit society (like Trappers and Mountain Men in the Old West) into Light and Dark polarized factions.

'Then came the event which divided The Force forever after...' as a kind of precursor to the precursor that was remerged with the end of the Republic and the deaths of Yoda and Palpatine (think _Dark Crystal_ theme) in the PT/OT timeframe.

i.e. in MY version of a TV show, everybody would have sabers (or some weapon, since proto-Jedi would not be restricted from ranged arms) but their individual abilities would be both vastly more powerful and far more diverse than is shown in the Movies.

I think that this would have to be the case because it takes a good 2-3 years to make a decent fencer out of even someone willing to undertake the intensive learning regimen. And frankly, the Jedi are boring in their situational interactions without a lot more flexibility both in combat and outside it.

Such being the point where I would most likely integrate CGI 'my face' with real martial artists 'his expertise'. Even as I created an entirely new scope of visual effects (inner sight, healing trances etc.) to mimic The Force As It Should Be. Which is vastly more open in it's architecture and application than the dumbass movies allow it to be among novices, cripples and old men.

CONCLUSION:
Star Wars is _dead_. They just haven't Ernie Pyled it yet. Whether or not it can be /remade/ depends a great deal on how much they are willing to cut the cords of all that came before (maybe even the 'Wars' connotation) and begin anew in a situation where what _we know_ to be an incredible Magic Of The Mind is just beginning to be discovered through the various innate talents of people struggling to survive in an _Enterprise_ equivalent environment where everybody is 'new at this', not just the humans (one reason I have to question the likelihood of large numbers of advanced sentient life in our universe being the certainty that Superluminal Travel should not necessarily be something withheld simply because a species is primitive...).

CRY HAVOC AND BREAK THE MOLD!

KPl.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-16-2005, 04:22 PM
KPL, no wonder you only have 18 posts . . . they're all frickin' long as novels! :D

Ji'dai
06-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Well, the basic storyline for the new TV series has been posted in the news:

Star Wars producer Rick McCallum revealed the details of Star Wars television series at a Japanese press conference yesterday.

Apparently the story will take place in a 20 year span between Episode 3 and Episode 4 . McCallum said it will depict how characters end up being together, but wouldn't mention who. But he did mention it will depict how Luke grows up. This doesn't sound right to me though, there's not much interesting in that. Why not show Darth Vader's Empire taking over the galaxy and the few remaining Jedi's fight to stay alive? Who cares about a farmer's kid when he's not going out on space adventures?

George Lucas will apparently start working on the series as soon as he finishes Indiana Jones 4., he said. The production will start next year, and the whole series will be about 100 hour long episodes.

A show that focuses on a young Luke growing up on Tatooine reminds me a lot of Lucasfilm's The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles with the nine-year old Indy. Seems like the series is shaping up to be similar to the hundreds of other bland, inoffensive, formulaic and predictable television adventure series where the hero falls into danger, narrowly escapes, and learns an important lesson in the process. The 100-episode mark is significant since it's usually the the magic number for a series to be sold into syndication later on.

So we'll get to see Owen and "Old Ben" clash over how to raise the boy, with Uncle Ben offering a little nugget of wisdom for young Luke every week. We see Luke hanging out at Tosche Station with his pals Camie, Fixer, and Tank; and their troubles and tribulations with a local bully named Kitster. The often sneak into Mos Eisley and Mos Espa to buy speeder parts from unsavory dealers like Sebulba and Watto. Much to their parental figures' chagrin, the gang often race speeders through the desert at unsafe velocities and 'thread the needle'. (Of course with the politically correct nature of TV land these days, targeting Womp Rats and blasting them into green goo is out of the question.) They tangle with sandpeople and play practical jokes on Jawas. And in a season cliffhanger, Luke and friends end up being captured by Jabba and his gang, with a special cameo by: dum dum DAH... Boba Fett.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Gah, seeing Luke as a little kid sounds boring. I hope they don't show Obi-Wan unless they could somehow sucker Ewan into doing it a few times. If they're going to go the little kid/young adult route, I'd much rather see Han Solo going to the academy, going to Kashyyyk and rescuing Chewie, and their adventures after that. And he wouldn't even have to be too young. I hope it turns out good.

Sebulba_Fett
06-19-2005, 01:24 PM
"There's none of the main characters from I, II, and III (or IV, V and VI for that matter) in the...Well, actually, that's not exactly true now that I think about it. We haven't really started the TV show, so it's hard to answer. There's a lot of issues that are connected, but you won't necessarily see a lot of the people that are connected." - George Lucas

So, what ever happened to this? Did he change his mind again? Personally, I liked the idea that we were going to see new characters. I'm not sure if I like the possiblility that this show will focus on a young Luke. A young Leia maybe, but Luke - No. I just don't see much potential for stories there. I don't think there should be stories about Luke. Maybe have him be in a cameo or something. Possibly have Owen and Obi argueing about Luke, with Luke running around in the background or something.

And what is McCallum talking about when he says the show will tell how characters get together. Is he implying that it's going to show Han meeting Chewie? That could be ok.

I used to be excited about this (OK, I still am), but now a hint of worry is starting to creep in.

Tycho
06-19-2005, 01:52 PM
100 episodes.

22 - 26 episodes of a TV show per season....

100/22 = 4.5 years.

100/26 = 3.8 years.

ANH = Luke and Leia are 19 years old. Mark Hamill in ANH is what Luke looks like at age 19. Carrie Fisher = Leia.

10 year-old kid playing Luke or Leia for 5 years, would be 15.

From 15 to 19, people change and look different, develop more adult features.

This would be ok.

Luke is 0 years old and 1 - 2 days old in ROTS.

When Luke is 15, it will be 4 years prior to ANH.

So if they hire a 10 year old (approx. Jake Lloyd's age in TPM) and have it go 5 years, they won't have to explain why Luke doesn't look exactly like Mark Hamill, or Leia, exactly like Carrie Fisher.

I agree with what's being said about a show based on Tatooine. Enough. No thanks...Jabba, Fett, Mos Eisley, Mos Espa, Sandpeople, the possibility that someone else than Ewan would play Obi-Wan... Not to crazy about that.

Leia with Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa founding the Rebel Alliance - that could be much more interesting indeed!

Bail should be the main star of the show from that standpoint. 10 year old Leia could make appearances (but never podrace :rolleyes: )

Han Solo....Han Solo..... Han could be a clone trooper separated from his unit on Kashyyyk while on a training mission as a boy. He'd be 10 during ROTS.

He'd meet Wookiees, become an orphaned slave to Garris Shrike.

Struggle to find military style order and honor in his life, as he'd once been started to be programmed to.

Escape slavery and work as a smuggler and pilot for the Hutts during the Hutt Clan Wars (between Jabba and Durga).

Use his fortune to falsify documents to get him into the Imperial Academy and become an officer.

Capture Chewie in a routine mission, sending the Wookiee into slavery for a few months to a year.

Have a change of heart and when opportunity strikes, attack other Imperial officers and free Chewbacca.

Get court-martialed, go into business with Chewie working for Jabba.

IF YOU WANT TO READ ALL THIS (except Han starting as a clone - my idea), READ:

The Paradise Snare
The Hutt Gambit
Rebel Dawn

The best Star Wars books I've ever read!

Segments of it adapted to televsion would be awesome. They could expand on some elements for it and add in new dimensions to it for the TV Show.

Han is 10 years older than Luke or Leia. You can figure out the ages accordingly.

Han's 10 at ROTS.
He'll be 20 when Luke and Leia are 10.
He'll be 25 when Luke and Leia are 15 (and shouldn't be in SW if the actor can't look like Harrison Ford)
He's 29 in ANH as played by Harrison Ford.
He's 33 when he's freed from carbonite on the eve of the Battle of Endor.
He's 38 when he marries Princess Leia, age 27 1/2.

KPl
06-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Not Novels, _Bibles_.

Every decent TV show has one. Backstory (which is 'known but not shown') to a character that you can gradually bring out as past-forward (flashbacks montages or verbal exposition or in-scene visual narrative associations) segueways into personality development.

Of course, given the /utter filth/ that the PT is, there is not much to be said for a ''Tween Wars' period where you know the parents vile motivations AND the children's eventual outcomes from this (I suppose they could do a little bit with Leia but honestly, West Wing aside, politics is _not_ that interesting. Nor is the notion of teeners pretending to be Senators, 'Just like Mommy' and the idea of an Alderaan as OC 'contrast' with Luke's dirt-poor struggles is equally disgusting...).

While the inability to use the OT as source data (Why is Luke 'familiar' with Dagobah?) for both immediacy of recall and creative originality reasons (can't be too much like the 1970's characters) means you have no place to go because you have nowhere to come from, situationally.

Indeed, if you fail to establish a biblical backlog of BELIEVABLE character motives as set against a NEW (explorable) universal reality (The Empire Does X and the Public Catches On To The Frameup Of The Jedi /might/ work to espouse the notion of deception becomes oppression, especially if the Jedi themselves are being hunted by everyone and thus hardpressed to be of aid to the Rebellion since their Force Signature leads Vader right to their allies...), you instead get a flash in the pan epic disaster like Dawson's Creek.

In which, 'everybody acts opposite to what they are described as being in a weekly serial' (Soap Opera, even as Star Wars was a Saturday Matinee` Space Opera) devolved to the point of ludicrous once the hype of "Will she ever stop acting like a vamp ho with the guy she's in 'going to be' in love with, friend or otherwise?" is finally answered (No.).

And having gone there, there is nothing left of the actor's or character's integrity to go on with and the mid-series ratings slump of realization becomes the total series label: Trash is as Trash has always shown itself to be.

The same problem exists with Star Wars except that I /know/ Luke is going to be a Jedi. And I _know_ that he will not be a terribly impressive one. So anything you start from is already 'pre-evolved' because the antics of a boy growing up in the desert is dead boring and he never did enough flying in the OT to make even a Monster Garage type 'boys will be boys' subtheme workable.

Personally, Lucas is such a creatively, thematically, dull person that I don't think he can keep it up over the 'endless opportunities' which will arrive to recycle the recycled into boredom.

Which is why endless angst in a semi-inane-if-not-mundane environment is the only alternative. You may not like it (I don't), but that is the 'modern televisual theme' (reality TV as an arch of insipidness for those illiterates unable to envision what they are not told explicitly to 'associate' with their own vicious lives) and the alternatives are even worse such as the pablumeic dreck of Andromeda and Slutterstar Gigantica (though I fully expect SWTV to get the same treatment it once gave Glen Larsson's original in being canned after a single season or at most two.).

Sigh, this is why I prefer _original character_ acting vs. method (fixed) or natural (spontaneous/conversational) modes because it requires you to MAKE the drama reinforce the stated beliefs of the people as archetypal icons. As a function of them /proving/ (reinforce your egotistical belief in their 'goodness' if you like) their extant functional ethic through the wonder of becoming more-not-less.

The difference is that there may be several flavors of 'good' outcome at the end (the PT having gone 'dark enough' thanks). But we only know Luke as the loser Hero model who gets the title but not the girl, by default.

And Leia is doomed to a falls-for-a-tall-dark-and-dorkeous alternative stereotype.

/Wonderful/ choices, all round.

And more important, already fixed ones. So no matter how strange and exotic situational encounters are, you will always have the problem of realizing that 'fate is already made'.

And that is why, along with the rights to ditch the pathetic Jedi of the era, I would prefer a waaaaaay-back "Who do the Atlanteans dream of as superior time/place/people?" journey into the long-long-longer agos.

KPl.

P.S. I also never thought much of Carrie Fisher or Mark Hammil as lookers and in fact found Portman and Christensen to be vastly more beautiful than their nominal (70's limitations on clothing and styles included) 'children'. If you wanted to /avoid/ making the mistake of casting a girl and a boy in the roles of these two as 'half way inbetween' pretty and ugly; you could make at least a /part/ of the Early Rebellion story about the need to keep the babies in motion until Yoda actually agreed to take them on Dagobah because of the strong Darkside vergence that is there. Such might go a _small_ ways towards explaining why he refused to train a child that had been brought up so near such pain. Even as the EU Solo children are taken to a neutral-remote location for their initial raising. Luke had to 'burn off' the DS taint before he could be ready...

Past that, the only option towards having a sophisticated storyarc is to make the act of inciting Rebellion the 'good must some times do things very evil' motif as a means begets ending not unlike what La Femme Nikita should have been. Using a model akin to what say 9/11 illustrates, whereby Osama attacked the Trade Center /knowing/ that it would mean hardship for his fellow muslims but hoping (correctly as it turns out) that the excesses of U.S. response would make his point that we should not be allowed to involve ourselves in 'Strictly Arab/Islamic Affairs'.

If there is a Jedi who has 'put down his saber' (renounced his Force connection) in the center of this, you could, theoretically, make his objections and 'but there ARE alternatives' part of the complexity of a major 'conspiracy among the conspirators' type factionalized drama from which a Single Voice (Mon Mothma, General Madine or Leia Organa) would raise itself to unite the herd. And you DO NEED to show such a unification process. Whether it ultimately turns toward or away from a recognizably Jedi Way of small kind acts forging friendships vs. big (terror) incidents fragmenting enemy support.

That person will become a leader who exploits everyone to the most immediate need. Because the people who are gonna win the Civil War are those who have the industrial capacity to build the X-Wing. Not the moralists or pluralists or sensationalists that make up a 'political diversity spectrum' of insurgent viewpoints.

And certainly not the 'little people' whom Lucas fawns so much over.

Even Hitler knew that when he was told "Brown Shirts Or Big Money...". And we saw what happened when he chose Law & Order over Revolutionary Zeal.

KPl.

KPl
06-19-2005, 03:58 PM
>>
100 episodes.

22 - 26 episodes of a TV show per season....

100/22 = 4.5 years.

100/26 = 3.8 years.

ANH = Luke and Leia are 19 years old. Mark Hamill in ANH is what Luke looks like at age 19. Carrie Fisher = Leia.

10 year-old kid playing Luke or Leia for 5 years, would be 15.

From 15 to 19, people change and look different, develop more adult features.

This would be ok.
>>

No. Because there is NOTHING about the 'kids life' (something which kids in the relevant age groups could identify with) which suggests compatibility with Rebellion and Politics.

This being one of the archly STUPID (estrogenated fembot) themes of the PT in that you never see Padme Amidala act like a Queen. Never see her make hard choices and avoid undue risks _like an adult_. Rather her purpose is to look pretty and try on new dresses while occasionally holding a blaster to prove she is just as tough as the guys.

Yet given this, and given that Bail is still alive at the beginning of ANH, you couldn't exclude Leia from the scene, because Luke is himself 'yearning to be a wild child' back on Tatooine. And her association with Daddy is the ONLY way to introduce violent action into the theme of the show, early enough, to be 'Just like mommy'.

If you don't do the politics of intrigue and danger. Then you are left with more pretty dresses. And 'gee thanks'...but no.

>>
Luke is 0 years old and 1 - 2 days old in ROTS.

When Luke is 15, it will be 4 years prior to ANH.

So if they hire a 10 year old (approx. Jake Lloyd's age in TPM) and have it go 5 years, they won't have to explain why Luke doesn't look exactly like Mark Hamill, or Leia, exactly like Carrie Fisher.
>>

The question is whether you can isolate the male personality and physiologic vectors and use sufficient hollywood tricks (camera perpective heights and stand-on-this assists) enough to pull a 10-12 year old 'look' (shaven fresh before every scene) out of a 15-18 year old actor.

LOTR woud suggest this is child-face-man-body possible.

>>
I agree with what's being said about a show based on Tatooine. Enough. No thanks...Jabba, Fett, Mos Eisley, Mos Espa, Sandpeople, the possibility that someone else than Ewan would play Obi-Wan... Not to crazy about that.
>>

Christ, like I haven't been saying /that/ since ROTJ! What a backwater hole to plan -any- kind of shoot in? Lucas, what were you thinking?!? I mean, they could have done a 'just like Kansas' theme similar to Naboo and it would have at least made sense. 'Moisture Farming' in a desert (unless you're a Fremen with a 1,000 year plan) is about collecting dew off of dust. 'Nuf Said.

>>
Leia with Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa founding the Rebel Alliance - that could be much more interesting indeed!
>>

Ewwwh, Ick. Never liked him in the NY Cop Show. Don't see any real articulancy or skill (as the _senior_ politician, he is lectured by Amidala when he COULD be her mentor throughout the show and 'apposite not opposite' the twisted relationship of Palpatine/Anakin?). No. He is too big an actor to be commiting to a minor role in the SWU, especially one as 'tired' as Lucas has stretched his paper-thin creation. And he never made me feel like he had something to do other than scene decoration and paternal convenience in the shots he was in.

>>
Bail should be the main star of the show from that standpoint. 10 year old Leia could make appearances (but never podrace :rolleyes: )
>>

Bleeyurgh. Boom. Bang. Ba-WHAP! Where's this _rich_, _parentally exposed_, _powerful_ figure's motivation for violence? In the Novelization, Padme specifically states "Do what you have to to survive...". And this was BEFORE /any/ Imperial investigation of his family would INSTANTLY highlight his 'new and unknown' daughter. Rich people have all kinds of tests done to verify the confirmation of their kids. Yet the simplest bloodwork would be damning. Because Leia is a Midi-rich kid even before her genetic profile exposes her.

So...what? Does 'Palpatine Know' and choose not to tell Vader as a function of keeping him on a leash until his replacement is once again trained? What does that say for his confidence? See, yet -another- plothole I /never got/ was the meaning inherent to Palpie 'pretending' to get beat. While espousing the nature of the Sith as a 2-becomes-1 naturally selective powerstruggle. WHY would Anakin pledge to that?

>>
Han Solo....Han Solo..... Han could be a clone trooper separated from his unit on Kashyyyk while on a training mission as a boy. He'd be 10 during ROTS.
>>

Enough with the clones! Their role was utterly wasted and, as you can see in the OT, they are clearly no longer from a single genome (heights and all). What's more, why would he -be- a boy -and- a clone when clearly the maximum efficiency of creche` to graduation ceremony is best handled in a single facility where he is both linked to a common tank-group decanted class (mental) age. And his presence is not detrimental to the COMBAT functionality of the serving units?

What is Han the Hojan of the Clone Wars?!?

>>
He'd meet Wookiees, become an orphaned slave to Garris Shrike.
>>

No. Slaves don't make slaves out of other slaves. Most especially not if they are expected to 'rebel against everything' as a function of eating away at their own 'subservient' conditioning. Drones become drones. Rebels are born feisty.

>>
Struggle to find military style order and honor in his life, as he'd once been started to be programmed to.
>>

Boy, there's a boring idea.

>>
Escape slavery and work as a smuggler and pilot for the Hutts during the Hutt Clan Wars (between Jabba and Durga).
>>

Blah-blah-blah. Back to Tatooine where every crook lives in slime like he didn't know what money was about. Blah-blah-blah. Can you do a 'Traffic' theme with young and so unwise junior-smuggler taking cocaine-as-'spice' to planets to sell to children? Or engaging in carbombings and assassinations of the other foul slime of his chosen profession? That might make it interesting but it sure wouldn't 'agree' with Lucas' plebian views.

P.S. Where does he get the Falcon and how does he meet Lando? I would /think/ that you would need this vessel early on as a plot device both to go to other worlds, make other smugglers lethal-jealous of the young brat. And indeed to make the brat in question survivable in a Grown Up world.

>>
Use his fortune to falsify documents to get him into the Imperial Academy and become an officer.
>>

So now he's free and he want's to go /back/?!? Just look at the 25-30% shortfall that the Army is having in Iraq. And look at all the (so stupid they are funny) 'let's con the adults instead' advertising that is going on to try and crutch-up the volunteer force before we hear those lovely words 'Draft'.

So Sawry but your idea stinks relative to contemporary events AND the notion of Han Solo as an idealist that is too stupid to avoid the gutters and too close minded to stay out of the brainwashing that Imperial Training would mean. I mean, he KNOWS that the Imps are not all they are supposed to be from his days as a smuggler doesn't he? How many drug runners join the BATF?

Baaah.

>>
Capture Chewie in a routine mission, sending the Wookiee into slavery for a few months to a year.

Have a change of heart and when opportunity strikes, attack other Imperial officers and free Chewbacca.
>>

No. No slave, once enslaved, ever 'comes to respect' the man who put him there. There is no Stockholm Syndrome because there is simply never /time/ for that kind of relationship to develop. A slaver sees his victims as product. To be stocked and then sold off the shelves in the shortest period possible. And the slave, well, he may eventually come to 'accept the inevitability' (chopped off foot) of his lifelong misery. But he NEVER feels gratitude to the man who put him there, if only because the of wholesale slaughter and separation of family unit which likely also went on at the time of capture.

Don't feed me no lines about 'rescue' either because there would have been no need for 'rescue' if the moron hadn't taken him to begin with. And Chewie is both dead (in the EU) and _200 years old_ so that there is no expectation to be found from him on an own-maturation sense viz a viz the 'young and impetuously sadistic' Han. He is just another big dumb dog whose role is to die saving one of the Solo twins we will never get to meet.

>>
Get court-martialed, go into business with Chewie working for Jabba.
>>

No. Goes to jail or is executed for disobeying an order which puts his unit at risk in a 'dangerous situation' (and they /always/ put that clause in because it makes it not just disobeying of a lawful order, it makes it Treason. Which is how you get browbeaten into 20 years at Leavenworth instead of a messy trial.)

SO! Let's look at 'Young Solo' shall we? He starts off a whipped loser scut working for another bunch of whipped losers (manservant to mindless slaves, whoopie). He gains his freedom through enslavement to a criminal where he learns to be a criminal. Just Grand! He fights his way out of that to decide he wants to be a Control Freak In Uniform /thug/, spending all his money on that worthless goal. And then can't even perform well enough at that most mundane of moralless activities so goes back to being a (poor and poorly skilled) criminal again. Yahooooooo!

You have entirely redeemed Han Solo in my eyes. Boy I /really/ want to meet that man now!

>>
IF YOU WANT TO READ ALL THIS (except Han starting as a clone - my idea), READ:

The Paradise Snare
The Hutt Gambit
Rebel Dawn

The best Star Wars books I've ever read!
>>

And I liked the Han Solo Trilogy. The opposite ends of the spectrum wherein dark deeds and a vile mindset are conveniently hidden by the shadow of mystery and 'things better left unsaid'. That doesn't mean I want 100+ episodes directed towards the development of a sideshow character whose utter lack of moral compass makes him unimportant in a melieu where 'eventual moralism' is the only functional thing separating the animals in white suits from the animals in dungarees as fighters in what I believe would be a /very/ dirty war.

A war akin to what would have happened if the Nazis got nukes in 1941 and the world bowed before a mustachio'd rabbit who would call himself God.

Can't win on the battlefield because the Imps will erase it and you. Can't win by coup de tat because the Emperor reads minds and futures. Can only hold on and keep throwing monkey wrenches until things get so bad that everybody stands up to be counted at once.

And a Jedi arrives to take care of business with the Force Users while you handle the bulk of an armed force that represents everything bad about such a pruriently paranoid 'war is a business and business is good!' group in our own times.

>>
Segments of it adapted to televsion would be awesome. They could expand on some elements for it and add in new dimensions to it for the TV Show.

Han is 10 years older than Luke or Leia. You can figure out the ages accordingly.

Han's 10 at ROTS.
He'll be 20 when Luke and Leia are 10.
He'll be 25 when Luke and Leia are 15 (and shouldn't be in SW if the actor can't look like Harrison Ford)
He's 29 in ANH as played by Harrison Ford.
He's 33 when he's freed from carbonite on the eve of the Battle of Endor.
He's 38 when he marries Princess Leia, age 27 1/2.[/QUOTE]
>>

HERE'S MY IDEA:
Everyone is in their mid 20's except for the Jedi acolytes who are either already novitiates or made into them after some disaster during a Jedi op which may be anything from bounty hunting to peacekeeping to spying as 'mercenary monks' who go everywhere and yet are little seen because nobody pays attention to such harmless Krishnaers.

Of course there is one 'mentor' who is a grizzled 40 or so but looks like gnarled boot leather rather than a Fat Slob like Liam Neeson did. His role is that of clan commander (or equivalent in the proto-Jedi 'working group' who are in fact fairly rich).

The above meets the 'pretty people' precursor requirement for heroic tale telling on popular TV. The 20 somethings get their romance. The teener-somethings get their character development. The old folk get to laugh it up at the stupidity of everyone who hasn't BTDT like they can empathize with Mr. Mean.

And we get to SEE the **Discovery** that is 'The Force' as the young ones learn from the old fellah the basic tenets ethical behavior as an _efficiency_ based system of action. Which in turn helps them become even greater Warriors as their _focussed minds_ (Remember that?!? Remeber YODA //saying// 'be where you are, doing what you should?'!?!) opens the way towards belief-as-being the ability to alter that reality.

Creating the first generation of some of the earliest, greatest, adepts manipulating this great galactic energy field.

Adepts who 'were there' fully in the moment but always thinking 10 steps ahead. Before codes and restrictions and kidnapped baby elitism impaired the minds and devalued The Order they began into being little more than thugs with parlor tricks.

That is a story. That is the beginning of the Greatest Science Fiction Legend ever told. Because it allows me to skip the PT and LINK UP WITH the theme's that made the OT worthwhile.

Before the Dark Times. Before Lucas stole _The Return Of The Jedi_ from me with his child-pandering putzian senility of a plebescy of 'happy endings but non-resolutions'.

Of course we will never see it. Because the Best of Lucas is the majority of Star Wars. And that is _ALL BAD_.

KPl.

Rocketboy
06-19-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't think Lucas would actually do a series based on lil Luke. Didn't he learn from Young Indy? Most people didn't buy that show.

I get the feeling that Rick "Smithers" McCallum was maybe talking about a possible idea that was being kicked around for the show (or just talking out of his ***) and ended being misquoted or something. Besides, he said before that there wouldn't be anything talks or anything about the show until the fall, when everyone had had time to settle down and relax from all the Revenge of the Sith excitement.

jlw
06-19-2005, 06:14 PM
I think you guys are really going off for no reason. I seriously doubt Lucas is going to make Luke the main character. If the quote is accurate it says it will "depict" Luke growing up; not that it will "center" around Luke growing up.

However, to make a t.v. series telling the story between Ep. 3 & 4 WITHOUT Luke would be a disaster. Come on, Ep. 3 ends with the twins and Ep. 4 "introduces" us to the twins 20yrs later; what would be the point of telling "the story in-between" and not show the twins - especially with there being 100 1-hour episodes. It'd be like having the "Clone Wars" without Anakin or Obi-Wan. Sure the story could be told without them, but what would be the point? How would it compliment the "Saga" as a whole.

Also, RM's statement of showing how characters get together definitely implies (to me at least) that a young Han & Chewie will be shown.

Now, having said all that I am in no way saying the t.v. series will be great. This has nothing to do with the actors, special effects, etc. It all has to do with already knowing the plot. This is why I feel the PT never really lived up to the OT - the fact that we already knew the basic plot. There was no suspense or cliff-hanger type endings. With the OT, (if you are old enough to have watched its theatrical releases) no one knew of Vader being Lukes father, or whether or not Han Solo would live, etc. Its like I tell people when they ask about ROTS, I tell them I think its great, but you already know the outcome. Its kinda like watching Titanic - don't get excited when the ship starts sinking. So, the same in ROTS; don't be like, "Oh my god, their killing all the Jedi!!".

So, the same will hold true with the t.v. series. We know the basic plot of what happens between Ep. 3 & 4:

Death Star is built
Rise of the Rebellion
Leia goes into politics
Han meets Chewie
Luke lives on Tatooine
Clone Troopers become Stormtroopers.

So, watching the t.v. show will be like, O.K. that's how they came about the TIE fighter, o.k. that's where the Y-wing came from; OH look a Biggs cameo!

Anyway, I'll watch it; and I think effects wise it will be great; but its really not going to be like any other show where we don't already know the outcome

darko666
06-19-2005, 07:02 PM
but its really not going to be like any other show where we don't already know the outcome

how does Porkins get fat? was he born that way, did he eat because he was depressed, or depressed because he ate? thats an episode that will have the "Did You Know" at the end.

KPl
06-19-2005, 08:42 PM
>>

I don't think Lucas would actually do a series based on lil Luke. Didn't he learn from Young Indy? Most people didn't buy that show.

I get the feeling that Rick "Smithers" McCallum was maybe talking about a possible idea that was being kicked around for the show (or just talking out of his ***) and ended being misquoted or something. Besides, he said before that there wouldn't be anything talks or anything about the show until the fall, when everyone had had time to settle down and relax from all the Revenge of the Sith excitement.

>>

1. I never saw IJ as more than what Lucas advertises (now) the Star Wars films to be. A Captain America-does-Archaelogy type matinee` serial flick. One whose very cheeziness was it's primary 'safe, comfortable, never wins but never loses' selling point. To which I would add that none of the sequels were worth a darn (I think it was a mistake to cross over into other religions in India for one thing, the women got dumber and the plots more mundane) so I was never all that disappointed with 'what came next' because ROTLA really stands on it's own. Even if Indy had gone right back to college and married the girl and and and (white picket treatment) you /knew/ he had lived as no other.

2. Star Wars was /such/ a HUGE disappointment because Episode V actually -exceeded- my expectations for Episode IV. And everything else has been kind of a "Well, when ARE YOU going to get back to finishing the good stuff?!?" of interrupted (horrified) monkey-see plots and development.

3. If there is one thing that is sure and certain about the TV World it is that it is _very much_ and 'interactive environment. Both in terms of fan demographics for how far a plotline can go, tragically. And for impetus to keep exploring the universe once the writers run out of baseline material and start going to fanfic for filler material. All of which is very sad because it means that nobody KNOWS how the progression will happen, they are just dorking about until they hit certain Tipping Points of 'now we add this completely unreal twist...' idiocy.

If those of us who don't want to see things go that way, be ruined anymore than they already have been, wish to interrupt the predatory march of the boweevils into the cotton, we had _Damn Well Better_ 'stay excited' about what comes next so that OUR ideas are the baseline for a new story.

Since whatever becomes the new subject period and struggle of 'Star Wars' will have to be good enough to last for at least those magic 100 epi's. Again, I'm thinking 10 per year for 2 years until the franchise is finally, completely burnt out. Especially if there is a lot of SFX which further eats up the budget and strains the shooting time the resultant story/character developmental arc will be skewed even more heavily towards _great or lousy_ because there will be NO TIME for more.

>>

I think you guys are really going off for no reason. I seriously doubt Lucas is going to make Luke the main character. If the quote is accurate it says it will "depict" Luke growing up; not that it will "center" around Luke growing up.

>>

I hope not but there is nothing else to make it better. Because all the other _Jedi_ characters are dead or boring. I suppose Windu could have survived. But the rest didn't even get shown /properly/ dying at the hands of Vader, rather cut down like moronic gits who had no precognition at all.

>>

However, to make a t.v. series telling the story between Ep. 3 & 4 WITHOUT Luke would be a disaster. Come on, Ep. 3 ends with the twins and Ep. 4 "introduces" us to the twins 20yrs later; what would be the point of telling "the story in-between" and not show the twins - especially with there being 100 1-hour episodes. It'd be like having the "Clone Wars" without Anakin or Obi-Wan. Sure the story could be told without them, but what would be the point? How would it compliment the "Saga" as a whole.

>>

There IS NO 'SAGA'!!!

Don't you get it?

Lucas has completely ruined /everything/.

Which is why we SHOULD be able to go to any prior timeframe and start again. Showing what 'divided The Force' even as it unified/empowered the Jedi would be my starting point. Because _The Jedi_ are the interesting characters. The rest are just like you and me. Yaawwwwwwn.

Better to till new earth and sew new concepts than it is continually plow under a trodden field.

>>

Also, RM's statement of showing how characters get together definitely implies (to me at least) that a young Han & Chewie will be shown.

>>

Blah blah blah. At least Mister Ed could talk. Chewie is little more than a pet thanks to the way he was shown to be all emotions, no intellect, even in ESB.

What bothers me is that nobody sees the TRUE POTENTIAL in making a 'Han Solo like' (down on his luck, cynical, rebellious, sarcastic yet _So Powerful_) character AS A JEDI. Certainly it would be better than the spoiled prodigy that was Anakin and yet the very DARKNESS could hide some light that someone could bring out.

Giving us a New Yoda. Or a NEW Leia as well. People too strong to take any crap from a stuck up little brat. And too wise to be rebuffed by someone that was truly hurting from 'something awful'. But could not his moments of wondrous joy and kindness either.

Solo has already won that race. Chewie is a throw rug waiting to happen. They were /never/ all that strong a character set, largely because they did their ESB thing and then the fling was flung and they had nothing else to say about Friendship or Romance (Han or Chewie should have died at the end of the film or in it's interim, IMO).

>>

Now, having said all that I am in no way saying the t.v. series will be great.

>>

GREAT! Now you are walking into one of _The Most_ competitive $$:minute vocations out there and telling the network that you, the fan, don't care about the ratings! Even with Lucas' money, that is an GUARANTEED FAILURE WAITING TO HAPPEN.

Which means that the bitter dregs of ROTS will be the last thing you ever experience of the SWU that was not Muppets Do Ewok Christmas inane.

>>

This has nothing to do with the actors, special effects, etc. It all has to do with already knowing the plot.

>>

Sigh. I said this a long time back. But I -also- said that the ways to get around it were:

1. To make Anakin NOT be Vader. To die a hero not a villain.

2. To make Anakin be a /clone/ whose mental processes were subborned from shortly after birth.

Or both. _Titanic_, as Cameron depicted, had another story buried within the tragedy. A story about the power of a diamond to coalesce and harden the will of a young woman to live, even through and beyond love. So that her very survival could 'prove the test of time' in beating out the depraved suitor who gunned his brains all over the 1929 Stock Market crash. Yet it was also the story of /letting go/ that 'degree of immortality' so that, when the time was right, she could again enter her lover's arms. Proving that love was about sacrifice AND redemption.

Lucas, being a total nerd, couldn't manage something so elegant because the actors he cast were clueless (compared to the operating mental age levels of their 1970's predecessors) and the script he gave them was utterly without foundation of interest in moving forward from stupid to sane to sad. But simply kept them as schizophrenic tossers from beginning to end.

>>

This is why I feel the PT never really lived up to the OT - the fact that we already knew the basic plot. There was no suspense or cliff-hanger type endings. With the OT, (if you are old enough to have watched its theatrical releases) no one knew of Vader being Lukes father, or whether or not Han Solo would live, etc. Its like I tell people when they ask about ROTS, I tell them I think its great, but you already know the outcome. Its kinda like watching Titanic - don't get excited when the ship starts sinking. So, the same in ROTS; don't be like, "Oh my god, their killing all the Jedi!!".

So, the same will hold true with the t.v. series. We know the basic plot of what happens between Ep. 3 & 4:

>>

Then why insist on this being the operative era when Lucas himself has commented that while he would never go forward, he /might/ be interested in seeing where the Jedi came from? You are effectively saying that you have no hopes for success but are doing this simply for another fix of Star Wars. And that is bad. Please, _just say no_ and find some newer, better, more worthy ADDICTION.

Like Crack Cocaine.

>>

Death Star is built

Rise of the Rebellion

Leia goes into politics

Han meets Chewie

Luke lives on Tatooine

Clone Troopers become Stormtroopers.

>>

Two things to remember about TV. One is that it is a continuous grind. A heroic tale, even an Epic like Beowulf, or La Morte' D'Artur are really fixed incidents woven into a grander tapestry of continuity through narration.

i.e. One story has very little to say about itself that is not imbedded into a VERY protracted rise and fall of character arc. While the other has nothing to say about the characters -except- in their response to urgent moments.

So that if your characters aren't discovering something new and evil to 'Charm' out, every week, then they -have to- have depth in and of their own little self absorbed lives. Or they are doomed to copying whatever the 'other show did the week before' as a function of stock themes and suggested problems/confrontations.

_My_ Idea is about having a society of spies that really don't even /know/ they are spies. They are more like, say... Bards. The guys who go from castle to castle (system to system) trading tales, giving information, hunting people down. But only at the -heart- of this 'very mundane, studious-not-evangelical, order' is an inner circle which begins to form as they become of 'The Will Of The Force' (or perhaps transition their loyalty to it from a set of preexisting paying parties).

And the development of the Jedi thus begins from a shadowy-nothing into something much more grand, and falted. Remembering that there is nothing to say that this cannot be at the beginning or end of another set of 'Star Wars' (20,000 years of history) and that, as far as the 'Grand Design' of Jedi principles goes, things like Anakin and what not could be just a little hiccup.

>>

So, watching the t.v. show will be like, O.K. that's how they came about the TIE fighter, o.k. that's where the Y-wing came from; OH look a Biggs cameo!

Anyway, I'll watch it; and I think effects wise it will be great; but its really not going to be like any other show where we don't already know the outcome.

>>

Everyone knew the outcome of The Passion Of The Christ. Everyone knows the outcome of Batman Begins and IJ4 and and and. Basically, most know the outcome of being /born/.

It's the 'process of getting there' which defines character interactions in a grander epic tale and in this the 'expectation of fate' is indeed too narrowing to the development of relationships between the separated-by-timeline PT/OT principles to be of use.

In TVLand where it's 'once a week regardless'; you MUST be able to switch off friends, have separating and merging plotlines and generally /introduce twists of fate/ into a show when a given X+Y or Xvs.Y thread has either run it's course or is in the process of doing so, too quickly (needs a spoiling delay not a spoiler).

So that the 'endless opportunities' doesn't become the 'beating a dead bantha' of a singular quest or central cast pairing gone to 'eating the scenery' of the drama.

Lucas will end up face down in a pool of his own ego if he thinks he can treat the small screen to the kinds of themic arcs he polluted the silver one with. Audiences will laugh at the horse manure and RAPIDLY switch channels.

The medium is just NOT the same for visual majesty, pacing or demobase. Fail to acknowledge what that burden means and you will 'do not' (hing successfuly). No matter how much you want to try.

Which is, again, why MY idea is superior. Because it is also GL's. The latter being particularly critical for it gives him a way to quietly admit he totally porked the PT because he _had nothing_ but a bluff and a Deuce High Nothin' to tell with it. By letting /someone else/ give a new set of Ideals to his Universe. That he can later "Oh yeah, yeah yeah, my idea...yeah." Take credit for.

While leaving the SKILLED CREATORS their own playground of imaginative ideals to work in, as a function of giving the 'long before the Civil War' (long before KOTOR) /long, Long, LONGER/ ago... period a chance to separate itself from what we do indeed already know.

"There were Six Original Jedi (Seven, Two, Twenty, however many you can keep interesting individual storylines for while killing off a few unexpectedly but plot-sensibly). And this is the tale of how The Force discovered them. And how, in it's gift, they taught, learned and loved each other enough to give the galaxy a legacy which would one day become...legend."

THAT is the ticket. More people, all of them strange. All of them (potentially) Jedi-magical. Some, further along the same road, seeing that potential. Some judging the lack of morals that would justify teaching it to the struggling beginners yet being proven wrong or right in their judgments 'anyway'. Others muddling through 'just because' they have the potential AND the ethical grace. And that camouflages their stealthy approach to greatness because The Force sees that they don't need the same tempering.

Ah yes. Gimme, gimme, gimme summore! For THAT is a story I would sit still for, season after season. KPl.

Rocketboy
06-19-2005, 11:35 PM
KPI, just curious, but why are you here on these boards? Your posts really make it sound like you hate Star Wars.

And please use the QUOTE button. It'll make reading your posts a heck of a lot easier to read.

Tycho
06-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Doesn't anyone want to see an episode that explains how the dianoga got into the trash compactor on the Death Star?

KPl
06-20-2005, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=Rocketboy]KPI, just curious, but why are you here on these boards? Your posts really make it sound like you hate Star Wars.

Why do you call yourself a 'dark master' and have a chimpanzee swilling beer as your personal cover photo? Are those not contradictory elements?

This is not a criticism but a simple query and commentary as I doubt if any 'Lord Of The Sith' would allow himself to be visualized so lightly. For to do so and /then/ go postal would be to be seen as 'deeply psychotic as opposed to merely deadly serious'. And people will band together to fight random psychopaths where they will stand intimidated in the face of a mere 'you and only you, for these reasons' bully.

To each his own in the end but I take the art of storytelling fairly seriously and so I make harsh criticisms of what I see to be less a dream reached for and failed in the grasping. Than a story haphazardly designed and halfheartedly traveled as a production effort.

As an emphasis why 'do not' must ultimately mean, don't try, if it doesn't mean anything to YOU, the teller, it could not be a better moral lesson to up and coming screenwriters, directors and producers.

For much else, it fails completely 'on merits'.

And as such, the question which must be asked is 'WHY?' and I am coming to realize that Lucas was wrong in not merely his understanding of the mythic basis of his works but also, perhaps, in the media and format he chose to present them.

For there is no real continuity in the series, it is just one big lump sum of individual story fragments and hence judging it's lack of synergy from the sum of it's parts is like judging the synergy of negative factors inherent to the Exon Valdeez crash by counting the number of sand grains saturated with crude on the beaches of the Channel.

By the time I got through enumerating all that is similarly WRONG with Star Wars, I would end up back where I started at which is simply the realization that the detail errors don't break a contiguous whole.

Because there never was one.

THAT could change if someone with brains took a look at how to best present a dramatic story /set in S2F2/ as a function of saying..."Yes, maybe TV is where it's supposed to have always been!". Because the linearity of a serial, adds to it's gravitas only through the weight of multiple, recurring, almost tidally inertial, themes. Which go forward and roll back. Go forward and roll back. Changing detail encounter mode variables at a subtle level beyond that of the in-your-face approach shown.

This so that the -character- struggles become that of seeing individuals fall and get up again, fail and then /succeed/, based on the 'seriousness' of the experiences that they encounter and the depth of threat (or change) _to them_ brought on thru the simple act of living past them.

This in turn being a very 'Zen Jedi' method of understanding longterm dynamicism in life. Because it implies that as you leave behind fear of why you failed, you leave behind the control effectors by which you could /never/ have succeeded at that particular moment and situational ethic. So that a sprout which was crushed by the hoof of a grazing herbivore, stands again to become a sapling that is bent in the wind but may lose it's growth imperative to a horde of insects, shade from a taller tree or the depredations of drout. Before again, rising in recovery and becoming a 200ft tall oak which is the sum of it's experiences and so _fears no consumption_ and -bends the wind around it-.

Wow, what a thought: becoming a Jedi takes a lifetime. AND WE SEE IT HAPPEN.

And yet presenting that story arc, even with different characters, just was not possible in 3 year intervaled sequences. Because the audience and the marketing changed (however bad /that/ set of choices was) over a ten year total presentation period.

TV offers the hope of giving a more solid (ethically and philosophically sound yet 'exciting' because major heroes SHOULD DIE, even in the process of 'starting something big') experience to an audience. As it gives them something to continually review (I would bring out DVDs of the first season and/or license syndication very quickly) and compare back against within a _single_ character set that was worthy of the effort of 'participative story sharing as much as telling' that is a story firmly ensconced in the wonder of the melieu as much as the myth it is creating.

SEEING THAT, at last, certainly doesn't mean I hate Star Wars. Though I frankly despise what Lucas has done with the 60% of the movies. Instead, it means I am severely disappointed with what initially promised so much and fell down as far as it rose.

I don't want that to happen again. I don't want Star Wars to become just another commercialist hack enterprise sucking the life out of what was better left dead in the theater.

I want MY Star Wars. The one Lucas promised with his initial drive and talent and then let loose of in the pursuit of false dreams of a digital film making empire and 'family values'.

My suggestions are thus detailed, not verbose, because they make clear my complaint AND what to do to fix it. There are not many critics who can say, 'before the fact'.

THE KEY ELEMENT: Don't abandon the Jedi. Don't /assume/ that being a Jedi is necessarily all that we have seen it to be. Or that 'ordinary people' are more interesting in the wake of the disappointing presentation of such magical creatures of destiny and fate.

Rather show us THE VERY FIRST JEDI. And let us experience his/her/their wonder in understanding The Force and their role in it's mediative use: 'bending the winds of fate'.

Knowing it, feeling it, seeing it as an infinite stream of potential realities, THAT is being a Jedi. Understanding everything you once did and knowing it is (and always will be) a compilation of your awarenesses of 'For The First Times' all that comes thereafter.

KPl.

CaptainSolo1138
06-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Why do you call yourself a 'dark master' and have a chimpanzee swilling beer as your personal cover photo? Are those not contradictory elements?

Aw, man. That's good. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should pay attention to how this forum (and most forums, for that matter) works before you start crackin' on people. I don't think he "calls himself" Dark Master.

But you are right about the monkey picture. It shouldn't be swilling beer. It should be riding a bike.

Rocketboy
06-20-2005, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=Rocketboy]KPI, just curious, but why are you here on these boards? Your posts really make it sound like you hate Star Wars.Oh, you almost had it that time...;)

This is not a criticism but a simple query and commentary as I doubt if any 'Lord Of The Sith' would allow himself to be visualized so lightly. For to do so and /then/ go postal would be to be seen as 'deeply psychotic as opposed to merely deadly serious'. And people will band together to fight random psychopaths where they will stand intimidated in the face of a mere 'you and only you, for these reasons' bully.*sigh* As you may know, the avatars are a way of giving the poster a sort of face on boards. Many people have fun with it, just as I have.

As for the title of "Dark Master" that I have, it's a ranking that I have aquired and comes from the number of posts I have and what "group" I have joined (Jedi or Sith). No more. No less.
For Example:
MR.JabbaJohnL has 2,935 posts and is a member of the Jedi group, so his rank is "Jedi Ambassador."
Sebulba_Fett has 30 posts, and is a member of the Sith group, so his rank is "Angry Loner."

Oh, and why call me "deeply psychotic" and "bully?" All I did was ask a simple question. :confused:
And I'm not psychotic, I'm just from Michigan. :D

1st Prime
06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
sorry to be such a novice on star wars but how about this for a 2-part episode for the new series?

chapter 1: "Reign of the Empire." it's been 3-4 years since the end of the clone wars palpatine purged the jedi from the galaxy, he declared himself emperor & established the galactic empire. rumor has it that there are still only a few jedi who surrived the purge. an informant by the name of boba fett has valuable info on the location to one particular jedi. he arrives at currusant (sp? sorry) and has a meeting w/palpatine & vader. palpatine wants vader to accompay fett to find this jedi & bring him/her back alive. vader protests about going along w/the bounty hunter, yadda, yadda....when both vader/fett find this jedi & a fight breaks out fett "disintegrates" the jedi.
vader is mad w/fett due to his actions & not following his order. they both return to the emperor & vader delivers the fallen jedi's lightsaber as proof. fett receives his $$, & despite fett's intentions palpatine is looking forward to using fett in the future to serve the empire.

sorry but i didn't want to type tooooo much & for the spelling & stuff. thx for reading. :nerv:

El Chuxter
06-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Call me nuts, but didn't McCallum also famously say that Episode III would explore further why Boba Fett hates the Skywalker family?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Call me nuts, but didn't McCallum also famously say that Episode III would explore further why Boba Fett hates the Skywalker family?
NUTS!!!

:crazed: Ricky Boy says a lot of things. I don't remember anything about Boba in ROTS, though.

I don't even think that they could do 100 hours of Luke moping around Tatooine. They definitely need to show other characters. I like that new character from ROTS . . . I think his name is Chewbacca, or something . . . it would be interesting to see what he does next. :D

princethomas
06-20-2005, 05:50 PM
I think a show set on Tatooine in general would be great. It wouldnt have to be about Luke entirely but could certainly could be in it a lot. It could be a lot like that show on HBO Deadwood. Which is about a small prospecting town that is just outside the organized United States. It is a haven for scoundrels and scum. I think that since the Emperor is now taking over, he rules with a tighter fist. I think scum and scoundrels that live within the system, will now be forced to hide in the Outer Rim. Its a good place for a lot of good plot points to occur.

DarkArtist
06-22-2005, 09:27 AM
I think the show should focus on the reign of the empire mainly while telling a smaller back story of Luke and Leia growing up to eventually to lead the Rebellion. The battle sequences can be between the rebels and the empire, and maybe even show the empire still using the gunships and at-te before the weapons of the empire we know today. Plus while doing the backstory of Luke and Leia we can see Alderaan in detail, it would be a great way to have Jimmy Smits reprise his role as Bail Organa, we can perhaps finally get the lost footage of Luke on Tatoonie that was filmed but cut out this way fans can have Biggs and the series would tie together beautifully with the trilogy.
I also think the last episode should end with Leia boarding the Tantive IV and Luke looking up into the sky to see the battle above Tatoonie. :)

The idea of Fett would also be a great idea to incorporate but not as a leading character. Fett is mysterious and to give him the spotlight would ruin the already dark personna which fans have come to love. :)

As far as Jedi, yes there could be a backstory of hiding Jedi who escaped the purge, it can also be a way for us to see Vader in various lightsaber battles, maybe we can even see him build the hilt that he uses in the movies. :)

Space battles should be easy to do since the succes of CG and the Star Trek series seemed to pull them off with relative ease. plus we might have the chance to see perhaps various TIE versions, maybe some Z-95 Headhunters, and various other starships that have not had any screentime in the saga, but have been mentioned in books and visual dictionarys. Also we could possibly see the creatio of the stormtrooper and the new clone hosts????? :)

I think the TV series will open up new doors to the Star Wars Universe and can only hope that it is as good as the saga itself. Plus the toy line could be something that every fan has been waiting for and a chance for the EU line to come back. :D

nash
06-24-2005, 09:26 AM
........weird

scruffziller
06-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Doesn't anyone want to see an episode that explains how the dianoga got into the trash compactor on the Death Star?

Wasn't it in there to help eat up the trash. And what our heros were wading in was its waste?

mabudonicus
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Maybe Vader just took a vacation somewhere down south and got some kind of weird amoeba-based affliction, which then naturally "carried over" into the DS trash compactors??
Maybe it was one of Dengar's pets that he flushed for fear of getting caught with non-regulation organisms aboard the DS???
I dunno, but it would make a pretty good comedy episode at least :beard:

Seriously, though- I wonder how long before this show ever actually sees the light of day- and I also wonder how "unspoiled" it might be by the time it gets here- do you think we'll know every detail of every episode??? Will there be a need for "SW tv show- SPOILERS" here at ssg?? It would be kind of cool if it got streamlined enough (and maybe if the production was broken down enough) that it would be nearly impossible to know for sure what is coming up.....

And I for one hope it is stand-alone from the EU, otherwise we may just see 100 episodes about guys named "luke" with differing numbers of "U"s in their names and 2-part miniseries about Chewbacca divulging the contents of his pouches :D

DarkArtist
06-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey a thought just came to me the other night while watching GI JOE on DVD. the concept of the show was the launching pad for the hasbro line of figures and the storylines gave a look to the new characters and vehicles that eventually made their way to becoming a toy within the line. It was a great concept because while people were into the show they also at the same time were collecting the toys that went along with them. :)

Now for my idea, if Hasbro struck gold with the launch of GI Joe and the toy line incorporated with it then maybe Hasbro should try to hit gold again and launch a version of Star Wars were the animation is similar to the 1980's GI Joe and launch a line that go along with the show. The market is out there, GI Joe is still popular with the collecting community and among the young viewers, and this could solve a few problems in general, the show can be a mix of classic, prequel and expanded universe, thus giving everyone something to look forward to. :)

Yes I know that they are working on the clone wars cartoon as I write this and true we are going to be getting a live action series as well but the idea does have some merit and warrants a look to see if it is possible. After all if it workied once it can certainly work again, just keep the concept on what we already know and use the characters that exist today. Some of the ideas they can launch from could be based on the comics, games and novels. Now while these are all considered EU references, the live action series can also be considered EU as well. Plus if George didset the movies years apart from one another then what did they do while the years passed by????? played cards?

look i don't want to start the EU war but it seems that the concept is there and it is another's idea in the universe built by one man. :)

Tom Foolery
07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't think they could make a show last for twenty years. Look at Dallas and Miami Vice. They weren't even on the air for ten years and Mark Hamill is way to old. I would do a show about Yoda on Dagobah where he finds there are giant monsters and little people in a hidden village and he has to help them, except make Yoda a regular guy because puppets are expensive. That guy from the Houston Powers movies who played Mike Myers as a midget could be Yoda and have lots of Japanese schoolgirls running around. But make it like the O.C.

Darth Alex
07-09-2005, 01:57 AM
I know Lucas wants to have the show on a big network and I'm sure it would work, but here's a thought on a home for the SW live-action TV show:

H.B.O.

Never happen due to the lack of advertising, but it would be cool to have an un-cut show every week, maybe a little HBO budget kick-in for the quality cinematically, have it in HD-tv for those compatible.

Then again, having it on say...Fox...ABC...whichever, would be cool. If it's done well, the show would be WILDLY popular and rule. And at this point, I'm sure it would be good, unless the whole thing had child actors(75%)..you know...YOUNG Star Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars!

Anyway, I know the HBO idea isn't profit-feasible, still for an uncut show, I'd be nice...just like a DVD.
Example-24. I enjoy it much more on DVD w/o all the commercials for the DODGE BLAH BLAH!

princethomas
07-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Darth, I agree. HBO is the way to go. All their shows are the Best. Deadwood, Sopranos, 6 feet under. They are all awesome. Thats the best place to have the Show.

JimJamBonds
07-09-2005, 03:01 PM
I'd think the SW tv show would have a few less "bombs" in it then Soprano's, Deadwood etc. lol

Rocketboy
10-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Nowplayingmag (http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/2363/2/) has a bit from Rick McSmithers:

Star Wars producer and George Lucas’ right-hand man Rick McCallum played host to reporters yesterday at Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch where a junket was held to promote the upcoming Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith DVD. Our own Editor-in-Chief Eric Moro attended the event, where he got the latest scoop on the status of not one, but both Star Wars TV shows.

“The live-action television series is something we’re planning for just at the beginning of 2007,” McCallum explains. “We’re just starting to interview writers and trying to really figure out which direction [to go]. It is going to be much darker, much grittier. It’s going to be character-based. [Lucas] envisions somewhere like 100 hours, [set] between Episode III and Episode IV with a lot of characters that we haven’t met but [who] have been developed in some of the novels and other things. We’re really excited about that because I think finally we’re going to have the opportunity to answer everybody’s questions once and for all by the time we finish the series.”

When queried about the rumor that Frank Oz and his character of Yoda will be part of the new live-action show, McCallum responded only with a standard “We’d love it if Frank would be involved.” But the producer was more forthcoming with some of the technical details that will surround the show.

“Principal photography will take place all around the world, probably with a base in Sydney, [Australia],” McCallum says. “And, yes, we will be shooting in hi-def. Or, if anything else evolves within the next 12 months, that would replace hi-def. I don’t see that happening, but there may be new or less expensive cameras with more optical imagery or discs that we record on. But basically it will be hi-def, yes.”

Ian McDiarmid, better known as Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars universe, also attended the event yesterday, where he was asked about his possible involvement in the TV series. His character, after all, is one of the few who are still alive and (relatively speaking) well by the end of Episode III.

“Nobody really knows the details of the television series,” the actor says. “But I know that George’s intention is to follow one of the characters who’s been less highlighted up to now, but has been very popular with audiences. And, sure, if it’s the period between the movies, the Emperor has to be referred to. But you’ll remember he was referred to often without actually appearing in the first Star Wars. Peter Cushing was his very effective representative. So I suspect there might be a number of very effective representatives, but you know… I always answer my telephone.”

Hmm. One of the characters who’s been very popular with audiences? Could the Boba Fett rumors be true? We’ll have to wait and see. We won’t have to wait quite as long, however, for the other Star Wars TV show being developed at the moment: the animated one.

“The animation is being done as we speak,” says McCallum. “It’s starting to prep. That’s being done here at the Ranch. A lot of the effects are being done in Singapore, but that won’t really start moving forward until… I think it’s just now in the conceptual work and script work [phase]. I think George is trying to get 13 scripts done first before we really start to get into the pipeline of it. But that’ll start happening probably at the end of March.”Specultion may resume in 5...4...3...2...1...

JimJamBonds
10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Nice find Rocketboy, thanks. :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh sweet Jesus, having Ian come back as Palpatine would rule so hard!!! I think everyone is in agreement that he is damn good at it and I would love to have him back, if even for a little bit.

It's awesome to know that they're actually doing the cartoon now, instead of just talking about it. I can't wait to see it!

darthvyn
11-02-2005, 12:55 PM
awesome news, RB... :beard: to you!

mcdiarmid would be awesome in the tv show, and the rumors of following boba sound promising. i would still like to see a band of jedi that survived the culling, trying to make their way into seclusion, but who knows...

The 'Xir
11-21-2005, 11:10 AM
My votes still with Boba Fett! TMorrison is still tied closely to the series, with all the voice over work he does and would, have no problem playing the developing bounty hunter!
I'm also entirgued that they mention "[set] between Episode III and Episode IV with a lot of characters that we haven’t met but [who] have been developed in some of the novels and other things".

I wonder which books? Which characters? and which storylines? This could be fun!!! :thumbsup:

Although they do state this: "I think finally we’re going to have the opportunity to answer everybody’s questions once and for all by the time we finish the series."

So maybe they might follow Bail and his wife and baby leia, and answer my biggest question!