PDA

View Full Version : Foriegn Metal is where it is at...

Bossk77
03-26-2005, 12:53 AM
In Flames need i say more. Oh and Type O Negative is from Vinland. lol

mabudonicus
03-26-2005, 07:27 AM
and on a slightly lighter side, Gamma Ray, Motorhead (british, but hey) older Helloween, Raven, Primal Fear, heck, the list could be quite long if I really thought about it

The only bands that aren't from across the pond that really whet my METAL appetite are MANOWAR,Anvil,Exciter and DIO

Reefer Shark
03-26-2005, 12:55 PM
There's some good foreign Metal, but the good ole U.S. has been churing out some great stuff lately too.

Lamb of God, Mastodon, The Dillinger Escape Plan - to name a few. Check these guys out if you haven't already. They'll rock your brains out!

Exhaust Port
03-26-2005, 08:11 PM
In Flames need i say more. Oh and Type O Negative is from Vinland. lol

Vinland? Is that a street on Long Island?

From the Type O Negative website:

The world we live in is marked by disorder and chaos. Few things, if any, are certain. But then there is Type O Negative, the Brooklyn band whose been making a glorious, doom-caked racket for over a decade.

Bossk77
03-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Vinland? Is that a street on Long Island?

From the Type O Negative website:
Yes i believe it is a street around Long Island. And yes they are from NY ... But it is fun to pretend they are from a foriegn country. Type O doesnt get near enough respect in this one. :)

El Chuxter
03-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Foreign metal is the best, especially that great band from Canada: Nickelback! :crazed:

Exhaust Port
03-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Foreign metal is the best, especially that great band from Canada: Nickelback! :crazed:

Where are the mods when we need them. Quick, ban El Chuxter before he gets out of hand!!!!

How about south of the border... Sepultura and Soulfly!

mabudonicus
03-28-2005, 03:18 PM
And so as not to forget Asia, how bout a BIG HAND for Loudness and Guitar Wolf

And yeah, chux, if you really like them, you can keep them (it's an actual law up here in Canada, EVERY citizen has the right to do whatever it takes to get the band off of the Canadian airwaves, damn Canadian-Content laws ;))

Mail me the postage and we will ship them to ya ASAP

El Chuxter
03-28-2005, 03:23 PM
No, you can keep them. Every time they come on the radio, I can feel the brain cells decaying in the seconds it takes me to turn the channel.

If I was being serious with my previous post, I would ban myself. :p

Bossk77
03-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Where are the mods when we need them. Quick, ban El Chuxter before he gets out of hand!!!!

How about south of the border... Sepultura and Soulfly!

I was just going to go there. lol But Sepultura blows now. Ever since Max left the band and founded Soulfly. Sepultura hasnt had it... I feel lucky to have seen Max's last tour as the front man for Sepultura. Nino and puya arnt bad but they just dont have it in my book.

Russian metal is lacking.... like does it exist? Mexican metal.... i will let that one go for a while.

Exhaust Port
03-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I was just going to go there. lol But Sepultura blows now. Ever since Max left the band and founded Soulfly. Sepultura hasnt had it... I feel lucky to have seen Max's last tour as the front man for Sepultura. Nino and puya arnt bad but they just dont have it in my book.

I agree. I stopped buying Sepultura albums at Roots (which wasn't as good as I had hoped) but everything before that is outstanding! Max definately was the big influence within the band and has carried on with Soulfly. I only saw Sepultura once and it was when there were opening for Pantera. They gave an amazing 45 minute performance topped off with the song "Kaiowas" that drove the whole place into a frenzy. I've seen Soulfly as well and they are one of my absolute favorite live bands now.

Anyone else listened to the band The Mist? It was created by the original Sepultura guitarist.

Bossk77
03-28-2005, 11:59 PM
I agree. I stopped buying Sepultura albums at Roots (which wasn't as good as I had hoped) but everything before that is outstanding! Max definately was the big influence within the band and has carried on with Soulfly. I only saw Sepultura once and it was when there were opening for Pantera. They gave an amazing 45 minute performance topped off with the song "Kaiowas" that drove the whole place into a frenzy. I've seen Soulfly as well and they are one of my absolute favorite live bands now.

Anyone else listened to the band The Mist? It was created by the original Sepultura guitarist.
Max was Sepultura, his brother couldnt do it without him nor could paulio jr ect. I am ever so glad i saw them on the first ever OZZ fest with Danzig and Bio Hazard. Soulfly is great too, but not near as great as the original Sepultura. I have heard of Mist but never heard them. As i lay dying is great live as is Mastadon, but i would choose to see Type O again or In Flames over either. I am just sick of hearing knock off bands trying to sound like everyone else. Kill switch has there own sound if you listen carefully but some of there songs sound like old pantera. know what i mean?

arctangent
03-29-2005, 09:53 AM
i was at the very last sepultura gig with max at the brixton academy. he walked out on them not long after they walked off stage. it was such a shock because they played a storming set that night and you would never have known anything was wrong.

and some of you guys seem to be stuck in an 80's timewarp here. roudness, er sorry, loudness are one of the most (unintentionally) hilarious acts i have ever had the misfortune to see. i can't remember who they were supporting but they got laughed off stage. how can you take any band seriously when their singer tells you it time to lock and loll!

El Chuxter
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Russian metal? Whatever happened to Gorky Park? Not that I ever actually heard them, as they supposedly suck, but weren't they the lone Russian metal band at one point? :)

mabudonicus
03-29-2005, 02:54 PM
LOL Chux, I actually have a Gorky Park cassette that I bought a couple years ago for 25 cents

They suck even more than you'd expect, they are kinda best described as a russian version of "Nelson"... there was a cover of something like Johnny B. Goode or something on it... I'll send that along with Nickleback, if you'd like!!!

And what's wrong with Lock and Lole ArcT??? Guitaa Wuuf Locks a rot harder than most of our "punk metal" bands ever will (oh, and sorry you had to see roudness live, man I can't imagine how rousy that would be, I can't even listen to a single entire song off "lightning Strikes")

And BTW ain't no timewarp, lots of those bands still exist, just not where anyone would ever notice them :D

darko666
04-10-2005, 12:38 AM
and on a slightly lighter side, Gamma Ray, Motorhead (british, but hey) older Helloween, Raven, Primal Fear, heck, the list could be quite long if I really thought about it

The only bands that aren't from across the pond that really whet my METAL appetite are MANOWAR,Anvil,Exciter and DIO

you def. know your metal. good to see a real metalhead on this board. \m/

as for foreign metal bands, check out:
Manticora, Quo Vadis, Sadus, Sigh, Summoning, Vintersorg, Ensiferum, Einherjer, Demigod, Burzum

mabudonicus
04-23-2005, 09:42 AM
I have a buddy who lives in Germany, I wil see if he cam help me out with any of the bands you listed- a couple of the names sound familiar...
Yes, there aren't as many of us as there ahould be- I guess dangerous music like True Metal isn't as good for ya as it feels like it is... (speaking of which, I hope I get sonically pulverized at the MOTORHEAD show I'm going to on monday, I am stoked as it is in the absolute loudest venue I've ever seen a show at- I figure if Judas Priest can damn near kill a person in that space, Lemmy and crew will be downright murderous :D )

Exhaust Port
04-26-2005, 10:49 AM
"Ace of Spades...Ace of Spades"

Did you enjoy the show? :D

mabudonicus
04-26-2005, 01:56 PM
ExP- HELL YES!!!
Man, it was a GREAT show- the venue had been re-arranged a bit, thugh, and I'm sure the way it was set up was highly illegal, fire-codes wise, there were a few points where I could not move at all due to the ridiculous arrangement of having the bar right up front near the stage....

We had a GREAT time in Toronto, since we got there early I had time to go andcheck out the big rip-off comic store where I was shocked to finally find a Clone Commander at only 3 dollars above retail (which is the norm for just about anything in Toronto) so the day started out perfectly...

Almost had to put the boots to a really belligerent fellow outside of a record store, but other than that it went rather smoothly
And MOTORHEAD were in classic form (although being the 30th aniversary it seemed like Lemmy was a bit on the "hammered" side, which was sorta funny as well)

As an encore they did something that blew my mind (and likely everyone else's who still had access to the higher functions)
The first encore was a rendition of (and I'm not sure about the policy on the title) suffice it to say it is called *** blues and the first word ryhmes with "poorhouse"

But they did that unplugged and seated and Lemmy actually played harmonica it- it was somthing I sort of half expected and yet didn't think they would even attempt- it was totally incredible

Quote of the show I think "Remember when you get old, you'll look like ME.... yeah... even the girls!!!" (and imagine Lemmys eyes bulging right out of his head as he's saying that)

OH and back more to the topic- HAMMERFALL has a new album- we were trying to conserve money at the time so we didn't grab it, but I laughed myself silly reading the song titles, it's on the must-have list now I got me Clone Commander...